Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
MB owners! go to software update, there's a firmware update, that says it's a solution to ventilator/fan problems. could this be a moo fix?

I don't have moo, but it's great for teh people out there with it...;)

I just installed it. It restarted. The it turned on, went to a blue screen with an apple logo and a progress bar. the fans went completely wild, i mean, it sounded like a chainsaw. then it re-booted normally, said it was installed and woupti! :D

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Can't wait to try this out hopefully it'll cool my macbook down a bit!!!

ShadoW

Update: Installed had the restart with the fans going mental during the update progress bar.....All restarted fine, hopefully this will fix the heat and moo issues!!!

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Just about to install it. Here's a link to Apple's KB Article which explains that during the installation the fans will momentarily run at full speed.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
FleurDuMal said:
I have no fan issues at all. Should I install it?! :confused:

The only time I ever hear the moo sound is when I use Photoshop and even then it's very, very faint (not as loud as I've heard on these forums).

I've installed the firmware update and will report back later after I've done some work in PS with a result.

ludo.vandenboom

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2006
I would advise you NOT to upgrade if you don't have the moo or any other fan related problem. I was stupid enough to do so, and now I have a fan that is turned on all the time. The MacBook was a silent notebook before, but now it makes this spinning fan noise all the time. It spins really slow, but I think it is annoying enough to advise you not to upgrade...

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
HOLY SH#T IT ONLY WORKS! :eek: :D :D :D :D :D

I could simulate Mooing temperature easily. I run temp mon lite and as soon as I plugged my external firewire drive in, it would rise to 65C and it would immediately Moo. Installed this update, no longer a Moo at all. So far, so good. :D :D :D

My idle operating temperature is down a good 6-7C also. This could mean the fans are running permanently at a really low speed but the Moo is definitely gone.

If you have a MooBook, you'll want this update without doubt. If not, well if it ain't broke...

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
ludo.vandenboom said:
I would advise you NOT to upgrade if you don't have the moo or any other fan related problem. I was stupid enough to do so, and now I have a fan that is turned on all the time. The MacBook was a silent notebook before, but now it makes this spinning fan noise all the time. It spins really slow, but I think it is annoying enough to advise you not to upgrade...

have you given it a chance to cool down? ie have you turned it off and left the macbook for an hour?

do that and then see if the fans turn, i bet they don't, but just might kick into action slightly earlier. Lets face it, at the moment macbooks can get simply too hot, this will just take the edge of that.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
ludo.vandenboom said:

No constant fan here. I advise you turn off or sleep your MB for a spell and let it cool down first.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Definatly works.......I can confirm idle operating temperature is down big time I am now sitting in the mid to low 50's whereas I used to be hovering almost 10 degrees higher!!!WOOT

ShadoW

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
My Macbook is now almost 10 degrees lower than what it normally is at...with no mooing!

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
OH MY! my macbook idles at mid 50's now compared to high 60's! It feels WARM TO TOUCH NOW INSTEAD OF HOT!!!! YES!!!!

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
i returned my macbook at the beginning of the week and the replacement should arrive tomorrow. guess what the first update i will make to it will be?!

they are sooooo hot underneath! can't wait to use it on my lap and not get burnt!

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
Installed fix on my non MooBook laptop. So far so good. I haven't had a stuck fan, and it does definately feel cooler.

Nice job Apple.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I downloaded it... but I'm not sure I'll ever run it... My MacBook has never mooed and the only thing making any noises was the superdrive whilst burning a DVD, and even that just happened once... :)

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
LOL...

I called AppleCare yesterday and demanded them to fix my moo and they sent out a box. I guess my MacBook will be staying with me afterall :D

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
ludo.vandenboom said:
Thanks for "taking one for the team." Sorry to hear of your experience. That's exactly why I hold off on this sort of thing and read all I can before updating to something like this.

I had a white MacBook WITH the moo, so I sold it and bought a black one that has been flawless. Definitely not gonna apply this update.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
This should have a side effect of longer (albeit slightly) battery life.

1. No Moo
2. Cooler temps
3. Better battery life

Triple win :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.