PDA

View Full Version : w00t! moo fix!

Josias
Aug 17, 2006, 02:58 PM
MB owners! go to software update, there's a firmware update, that says it's a solution to ventilator/fan problems. could this be a moo fix?

I don't have moo, but it's great for teh people out there with it...;)

I just installed it. It restarted. The it turned on, went to a blue screen with an apple logo and a progress bar. the fans went completely wild, i mean, it sounded like a chainsaw. then it re-booted normally, said it was installed and woupti! :D

Cedd
Aug 17, 2006, 03:15 PM
Just downloaded too - too early to tell if it has killed the cows in my MB yet:)

shadowmoses
Aug 17, 2006, 03:31 PM
Can't wait to try this out hopefully it'll cool my macbook down a bit!!!

ShadoW

Update: Installed had the restart with the fans going mental during the update progress bar.....All restarted fine, hopefully this will fix the heat and moo issues!!!

Bern
Aug 17, 2006, 03:40 PM
Just about to install it. Here's a link to Apple's KB Article (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbooksmcfirmwareupdate.html) which explains that during the installation the fans will momentarily run at full speed.

FleurDuMal
Aug 17, 2006, 03:42 PM
I have no fan issues at all. Should I install it?! :confused:

amacgenius
Aug 17, 2006, 03:46 PM

Ditto, I don't want this to cause me to have MooBook™.

mhuk01
Aug 17, 2006, 03:52 PM
Ditto, I don't want this to cause me to have MooBook™.

why would it cause you to have 'MooBook'? It's an update to fix the problem, not to create a problem!

Bern
Aug 17, 2006, 03:52 PM

The only time I ever hear the moo sound is when I use Photoshop and even then it's very, very faint (not as loud as I've heard on these forums).

I've installed the firmware update and will report back later after I've done some work in PS with a result.

ludo.vandenboom
Aug 17, 2006, 03:53 PM
I would advise you NOT to upgrade if you don't have the moo or any other fan related problem. I was stupid enough to do so, and now I have a fan that is turned on all the time. The MacBook was a silent notebook before, but now it makes this spinning fan noise all the time. It spins really slow, but I think it is annoying enough to advise you not to upgrade...

spriter
Aug 17, 2006, 03:54 PM
HOLY SH#T IT ONLY WORKS! :eek: :D :D :D :D :D

I could simulate Mooing temperature easily. I run temp mon lite and as soon as I plugged my external firewire drive in, it would rise to 65C and it would immediately Moo. Installed this update, no longer a Moo at all. So far, so good. :D :D :D

My idle operating temperature is down a good 6-7C also. This could mean the fans are running permanently at a really low speed but the Moo is definitely gone.

If you have a MooBook, you'll want this update without doubt. If not, well if it ain't broke...

mhuk01
Aug 17, 2006, 03:55 PM
I would advise you NOT to upgrade if you don't have the moo or any other fan related problem. I was stupid enough to do so, and now I have a fan that is turned on all the time. The MacBook was a silent notebook before, but now it makes this spinning fan noise all the time. It spins really slow, but I think it is annoying enough to advise you not to upgrade...

have you given it a chance to cool down? ie have you turned it off and left the macbook for an hour?

do that and then see if the fans turn, i bet they don't, but just might kick into action slightly earlier. Lets face it, at the moment macbooks can get simply too hot, this will just take the edge of that.

ricgnzlzcr
Aug 17, 2006, 04:04 PM
That sounds great for all cowbook owners. Enjoy.

Bern
Aug 17, 2006, 04:05 PM

No constant fan here. I advise you turn off or sleep your MB for a spell and let it cool down first.

shadowmoses
Aug 17, 2006, 04:05 PM
Definatly works.......I can confirm idle operating temperature is down big time I am now sitting in the mid to low 50's whereas I used to be hovering almost 10 degrees higher!!!WOOT

ShadoW

WillMak
Aug 17, 2006, 04:21 PM
My Macbook is now almost 10 degrees lower than what it normally is at...with no mooing!

WillMak
Aug 17, 2006, 04:27 PM
OH MY! my macbook idles at mid 50's now compared to high 60's! It feels WARM TO TOUCH NOW INSTEAD OF HOT!!!! YES!!!!

mhuk01
Aug 17, 2006, 04:31 PM
i returned my macbook at the beginning of the week and the replacement should arrive tomorrow. guess what the first update i will make to it will be?!

they are sooooo hot underneath! can't wait to use it on my lap and not get burnt!

FredClausen
Aug 17, 2006, 04:32 PM
Installed fix on my non MooBook laptop. So far so good. I haven't had a stuck fan, and it does definately feel cooler.

Nice job Apple.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Aug 17, 2006, 04:33 PM
I downloaded it... but I'm not sure I'll ever run it... My MacBook has never mooed and the only thing making any noises was the superdrive whilst burning a DVD, and even that just happened once... :)

Jiddick ExRex
Aug 17, 2006, 04:35 PM
So would this fix also fix heat issues on the MBP?

mhuk01
Aug 17, 2006, 04:36 PM
So would this fix also fix heat issues on the MBP?

no there's been a firmware update for the MBP out for a while now, if it's not on software update, you must be up to date

Peace
Aug 17, 2006, 04:38 PM
Installed the firmware and there is no moo.didn't have it before but I tell you what.The Mac ran at about 47 degrees when idle.now it's down to 37 degrees.

wako
Aug 17, 2006, 04:41 PM
LOL...

I called AppleCare yesterday and demanded them to fix my moo and they sent out a box. I guess my MacBook will be staying with me afterall :D

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 17, 2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks for "taking one for the team." Sorry to hear of your experience. That's exactly why I hold off on this sort of thing and read all I can before updating to something like this.

I had a white MacBook WITH the moo, so I sold it and bought a black one that has been flawless. Definitely not gonna apply this update.

spriter
Aug 17, 2006, 04:50 PM
This should have a side effect of longer (albeit slightly) battery life.

1. No Moo
2. Cooler temps
3. Better battery life

Triple win :D

wako
Aug 17, 2006, 04:54 PM
in my opinion its a loss for us since some people never had it ;)

WillMak
Aug 17, 2006, 05:02 PM
Installed the firmware and there is no moo.didn't have it before but I tell you what.The Mac ran at about 47 degrees when idle.now it's down to 37 degrees.

47 and 37!?!?!? WHAT IS YOUR SECRET!?

wako
Aug 17, 2006, 05:25 PM
he has got to be running it in a fridge!

WillMak
Aug 17, 2006, 05:32 PM
hey wako! I remember you from the old moobook complaint threads. Glad we finnaly got thing resolved after 4 months!

wako
Aug 17, 2006, 05:53 PM
Thank! However now that this is fixed it seems I have a new developing problem (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=225661) with a nice pretty mosaic! Meh...

icec0ld
Aug 17, 2006, 06:51 PM
running this as we speak (or as i type). it definitely cools down the temperatures and since i hit the moo'ing at 70*C and i haven't even been able to hit 60*C now, i have no moo. yes you can hear the fans but that's only when its dead quiet. i'm willing to bet if you're in any public library or any place other than confined solitude you won't hear it (and no my ears are not blasted by my iPod, i use $500 earphones customed for me). the temperature loss is a bigger gain than the slight hum of the fans imo.

clasicks
Aug 17, 2006, 08:37 PM
most definitely cooler to the touch, A+

Sean Dempsey
Aug 17, 2006, 08:58 PM
how are you all checking the temps and such? I have a white macbook and I'd like to see if it is running hot, after I install this update.

WillMak
Aug 17, 2006, 09:11 PM
how are you all checking the temps and such? I have a white macbook and I'd like to see if it is running hot, after I install this update.

You can download a widget called coreduo temp or use an all in one widget like istatpro or istatnano.

Sean Dempsey
Aug 17, 2006, 09:14 PM
istat does not report a temperature for my macbook, neither do any of the other widgets I've tried.

I'll look for that one you mentioned.

Sean Dempsey
Aug 17, 2006, 09:20 PM
strange, the core duo temp reports "undefined" as the temperature as well. Anyone ran into this? I restarted and everything.

sonictonic
Aug 17, 2006, 09:22 PM
My iStat nano widget does not report anything for the temp. either. Just a blank section. :(

fivetoadsloth
Aug 17, 2006, 09:27 PM
I'mstill in 10.4.6, in an attempt to avoid the moo and dont have it, Should i updateto .7 and the firmwareupdate? I also dont want "the colored lines" of 10.4.7. any ideas?

kainjow
Aug 17, 2006, 09:48 PM
I use MenuTemperature (http://captire.info/MenuTemperature/) which is showing a constant ~58C. Very nice :)

aristobrat
Aug 17, 2006, 09:55 PM
Same here.

Didn't have the moo before, don't have the moo after, and iStat Nano is showing that it's running about 10'C-12'C cooler. :eek:

THANK YOU APPLE!!!!

I'mstill in 10.4.6, in an attempt to avoid the moo and dont have it, Should i updateto .7 and the firmwareupdate? I also dont want "the colored lines" of 10.4.7. any ideas?
I don't think the firmware update is tied to the OS, so even if you're on 10.4.6, it should work OK. I'd imagine that Apple could make this update "not appear" on your Software Update if it didn't work with 10.4.6... :)

My iStat nano widget does not report anything for the temp. either. Just a blank section. :(
A few folks on the Apple support forums had to reinstall CoreDuoTemp afterwords to get it working again. <shrug> :)

WillMak
Aug 17, 2006, 10:00 PM
Is this the consensus so far: Macbook with moos now are cooled down to the mid 50's while macbooks that never had moos are now in the low 40s!??!?

clasicks
Aug 17, 2006, 10:07 PM
down to 37 idle, this is fantastic.

sonictonic
Aug 17, 2006, 10:10 PM
@ aristo

My iStat nano Temp section has never worked on my MacBook. Even after deleting it and downloading and installing again.

I'm confused how it works for some and not for others... :confused:

macdaddy121
Aug 17, 2006, 10:19 PM
I'm topping out at 60 but my Macbook isn't mooing and it isn't hot at all.....I can't complain....however....I have not moved my macbook from my desk since the day I bought it....I have even left the foaming insert between the display and keyboard on the whole time....I use a BT keyboard and mouse.....so after 2 weeks...not a single mark on the thing....and NO MORE MOOOOO!!!!! :D

dukebound85
Aug 17, 2006, 10:21 PM
hey anyone have the original firmware, i prefer the heat over the noise lol

fivetoadsloth
Aug 17, 2006, 10:24 PM
yeah, in 10.4.6 apple hid the firmware update but to try to lower the temp
im getting 10.4.7 and than the firmware update.

fivetoadsloth
Aug 17, 2006, 10:50 PM
How many people with 10.4.7 are having the "mosaics" or "linesof dread" at startup?
id really not like to have the computer cool down but instead have fun looking at colorful lines down my screen. ugh, now i cancelled my 10.4.7 update. didnt seem like i needed it and since i maily use it on tables, not my lap, i dont know if its worth the risk.
any thoughts? thanks alot.

Star Destroyer
Aug 17, 2006, 11:45 PM
Well, let me be the first to say : My macbook is making more noise after installing.

I read this thread, and i listened carefully, and now i notice a constant fan hum.
Before it was humming every so often, now its all the time.. I even let it cool after updateing. Also, it seems to start, and wake up with a fury of fan speed all the time.

I cant remember that happening before, but it might have, just when i re-open the lid i can hear all the fans kick on fast then settle out...

but yes.. the sound went from pretty much nothing to a slight 'grind' even.. I am pretty sure its the fans spinning.

...hooo-ray for apple...

dukebound85
Aug 17, 2006, 11:47 PM
Well, let me be the first to say : My macbook is making more noise after installing.

I read this thread, and i listened carefully, and now i notice a constant fan hum.
Before it was humming every so often, now its all the time.. I even let it cool after updateing. Also, it seems to start, and wake up with a fury of fan speed all the time.

I cant remember that happening before, but it might have, just when i re-open the lid i can hear all the fans kick on fast then settle out...

but yes.. the sound went from pretty much nothing to a slight 'grind' even.. I am pretty sure its the fans spinning.

...hooo-ray for apple...

yea same here, it is making it alot cooler by 10 deg C but now there is a very quiet hmmmmmmmmmmm goin on. Anyone have the previous firmware update?

Star Destroyer
Aug 17, 2006, 11:48 PM
Not having anthing to check the temp but my skin, i would say SLIGHTLY colder.. But humm worthy.. i dunno yet, well see in the library..grrrrrr

dukebound85
Aug 17, 2006, 11:54 PM
Not having anthing to check the temp but my skin, i would say SLIGHTLY colder.. But humm worthy.. i dunno yet, well see in the library..grrrrrr

download coreduo temp

http://macbricol.free.fr/coreduotemp/

mine was idle at 66ish now its at like 55ish in deg C

i0Nic
Aug 17, 2006, 11:56 PM
Yup I can confirm that my macbook's fan is now on 100% of the time, you can hear the fan (it is fairly quiet though). No moo ofcourse, but the fan is now constantly on. The temp is obviously going to be a lot cooler, but I wish there could have been a better solution to this fan moo problem :(

FullmetalZ26
Aug 17, 2006, 11:57 PM
Well, I'm definitely happy -- my idle temps have gone from mid-upper 60's to low to mid 50's in all of eight minutes. (This is with an ambient temp of 76-78ºF) I'm more than happy to put up with a tiny bit of fan noise than a slow-roasting laptop, but perhaps that's because my MacBook's fan has been rather quiet all along anyways.

Star Destroyer
Aug 18, 2006, 12:00 AM
Ok that link didnt provide another link to allow me to DL the program hahaha
How do i GET That, rather then read about it?

FullmetalZ26
Aug 18, 2006, 12:04 AM
Ok that link didnt provide another link to allow me to DL the program hahaha
How do i GET That, rather then read about it?
If you're referring to the CoreDuo Temp link at the top of this page, look for a "Download" text link all the way at the top of the page. I couldn't find it either the first time...

Star Destroyer
Aug 18, 2006, 12:06 AM
hrmm.. i thought that was just all one poorly put togther sentence, not at all a link to download! hahaha

gosh, i messed up! sorry. i have it now though, thank you!

Josias
Aug 18, 2006, 12:40 AM
Holy crap! I'm serious about my MB being 31 C!:eek: This is the craziest ever. I'm running MSN, Safari, iTunes, CD temp and iPhoto. This is insane!:D :D

I can't hear a difference from my fan, but I'm glad that y'all outthere got the problem solved.;)

WillMak
Aug 18, 2006, 01:04 AM
Holy crap! I'm serious about my MB being 31 C!:eek: This is the craziest ever. I'm running MSN, Safari, iTunes, CD temp and iPhoto. This is insane!:D :D

I can't hear a difference from my fan, but I'm glad that y'all outthere got the problem solved.;)

wow...did your mb originally not have moo problems?

Josias
Aug 18, 2006, 01:06 AM
wow...did your mb originally not have moo problems?

no, it was all silent, and still is, but it would usually run at 50 C doing that, but now it's 15 C less. Incredible!:D

WillMak
Aug 18, 2006, 01:33 AM
no, it was all silent, and still is, but it would usually run at 50 C doing that, but now it's 15 C less. Incredible!:D

ARRRG, why!?!?!?!?!?!? Is there really something physically wrong with the macbooks which had the moo? Sure the moo is gone, but it's still in the mid 50s compared to ppl with no moo getting 30s now! :mad:

FleurDuMal
Aug 18, 2006, 02:55 AM
With the reduced temps does anyone notice their Macbook is running faster in intensive applications like Photoshop or Handbrake?

chris y.
Aug 18, 2006, 03:03 AM
seems to run about the same speed for me, but Ive only been using it for a couple of hours.

its definitely much cooler I can leave it on my lap while its charging, before I would have to find a table within like 10-20 minutes of plugging it in...the fan noise is hardly noticeable too...its a great update

steelfist
Aug 18, 2006, 03:33 AM
any performance hits? i have a feeling that the programs are going to run slower now. can anybody that has a previous cinebench or xbench run redo the run again?

how about the processor load?

Josias
Aug 18, 2006, 03:37 AM
any performance hits? i have a feeling that the programs are going to run slower now. can anybody that has a previous cinebench or xbench run redo the run again?

how about the processor load?

these are no fancy benchmarks, but Finder is snappier, and applications such as aMSN that took up to five seconds to launch, starts now in around 2-3 seconds. So according to my MB, yes, it's a bit faster.;)

irbdavid
Aug 18, 2006, 03:39 AM
Add me to the list of 'no moo to start with' people. Updated. Still no moo, good 5-10ºC cooler idling. No change in fan noise at all (still deathly silent until really try and hurt the processor).

Nice job Apple!

Josias
Aug 18, 2006, 03:52 AM
Hmm, we should go make a poll, to see how many people this actually helped...

simonthewolf
Aug 18, 2006, 04:35 AM
Whilst it's nice to see that Apple has provided a fix for this problem, spare a thought for us chirpy G5 tower owners, particularly those who have upgraded to Tiger. No fix in sight here :mad:

Josias
Aug 18, 2006, 04:40 AM
Whilst it's nice to see that Apple has provided a fix for this problem, spare a thought for us chirpy G5 tower owners, particularly those who have upgraded to Tiger. No fix in sight here :mad:

What? The PowerMac's moo? I know some 12" iBook's have moo'ed, but never heard of PowerMacs? :confused:

fatties
Aug 18, 2006, 05:51 AM
hmm...nothing's happening on mine. its still warm but lets give it sometime to cool... the wierd thing is menutemp is now resolutely stuck on 0 even after about 5 minutes. i mean the fans can't be so stong that its freezing in there?

also does anyone think that apple might have sneakily put something for random shutdowns in the firmware? (please please please...)

menutemp still at 0- well now i have the outside of the mb as a space heater for the winter and if i could just crack it open, use the inside as a fridge... who'd know that this would become such a multi functional machine when they bought it...

Star Destroyer
Aug 18, 2006, 08:28 AM
Mine at 32 C now.. last night it was at 54C with the new update.. so it goes to show that the temp difference might just be how high your air conditioning is cranked :P

So just waut until winter, everyones temps will likely go down..

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 18, 2006, 08:41 AM
I have not moved my macbook from my desk since the day I bought it....I have even left the foaming insert between the display and keyboard on the whole time....I use a BT keyboard and mouse.....so after 2 weeks...not a single mark on the thing
That's like buying an expensive sportscar and only driving it up and down your driveway. Your MacBook wants to sit with you on the sofa, lay with you in bed, go with you to the airport (well, maybe not right now), go to your place of work, sit precariously close to your coffee at Starbucks ... FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY, SET YOUR MACBOOK FREE! :D

FleurDuMal
Aug 18, 2006, 08:54 AM
If I install this update, but don't like the what it does to my MB's fans, if I do a clean reinstallation of OSX, will it undo the update?

nermal0
Aug 18, 2006, 09:01 AM
If I install this update, but don't like the what it does to my MB's fans, if I do a clean reinstallation of OSX, will it undo the update?
no.

Unspeaked
Aug 18, 2006, 09:22 AM
What? The PowerMac's moo? I know some 12" iBook's have moo'ed, but never heard of PowerMacs? :confused:

The PowerMac G5s don't moo - they roar.

Hmm, we should go make a poll, to see how many people this actually helped...

I'd love to see this, as well.

The Firmware is something more "internal" than just the System Software on the hard drive, and thus is a separate thing.

fivetoadsloth
Aug 18, 2006, 09:27 AM
People that didnt have the moo problem, did the firmware update help? I stayed in 10.4.6 when people where saying that there moo started in 10.4.7 but now with people saying it cooled down the temp im tempted to update, but my two concers are how loud is the hum? and how many people with 10.4.7 have had the colored lines on there screen?

mdickson
Aug 18, 2006, 09:40 AM
I never had the moo, but I installed this anyway

I was running at about 155F and am now down to 140F. Awesome.

LSK6453
Aug 18, 2006, 09:40 AM
The update as cooled mine a lot. I don't have anything installed to monitor it, but I will when I get home.

I was able to put it on my lap last night and I did not burn myself!

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 18, 2006, 09:58 AM
Those of you just tuning in ...

Here is all Apple has to say on what this firmware does: The SMC Firmware Update adjusts fan behavior in the MacBook (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbooksmcfirmwareupdate.html).

Pretty ambiguous?!? You bet! Either Apple views us as too stoopid to be told anything more, or perhaps Apple's legal department does not want to give more information so Joe Litigation has no legal grounds to stand on. Either way, we all lose!

But, faithful Mac user, read on. Here is what Apple will not tell you, but we in the Mac community have discovered.

This firmware update causes the fans in your MacBook to run all the time at low speed (and faster when needed).

Wow. There, we said it. Apple, I can tell you, that wasn't so hard. :o

Advantages:
1) If you previously had the moo sound, where the fan would rev up and then stop, rev up and then stop, etc, that is now gone since the fan runs all the time.
2) Your MacBook will now be cooler since the fan is running all the time.

Disadvantages:
1) Noise will increase with the fan running all the time. This is bothersome to some users, but not others. HINT: Evaluate your work environment and your work preferences. If you don't like to hear computer fans running while you work, you may not want to install this update!
2) Slightly shorter battery life with the fan running constantly.

There you have it, MacFans. All you wanted to know about this update. If you aren't the type to jump at every software update, you now have a decision to make -- update, or not? One word of caution, once you decide to do it, there is no going back ...

clasicks
Aug 18, 2006, 10:07 AM
i literaly cannot feel my MB on my lap, this is great. after sleep for about an hour the temp was 13C, during use its now 33c, this is amazing. GJ apple

sonictonic
Aug 18, 2006, 10:33 AM
That's like buying an expensive sportscar and only driving it up and down your driveway. Your MacBook wants to sit with you on the sofa, lay with you in bed, go with you to the airport (well, maybe not right now), go to your place of work, sit precariously close to your coffee at Starbucks ... FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY, SET YOUR MACBOOK FREE! :D

That's hillarious. :D

spriter
Aug 18, 2006, 11:04 AM
Alright ,did anyone notice the topping out temp to be ALOT lower also? Using Temperature Monitor Lite and CoreDuo Temp:

Pre-update my MacBook would idle at 55C, Moo at 65C and top out at 78C (when I Handbrake a DVD to H264)

Now, I idle at 45C, no Moo at all (yeah!) and now top out at 67C when Handbrake is going full tilt.

That's some improvement. I know the fans are running constantly at low speeds but I can't hear them unless I put my ear to the keyboard area. And it doesn't disturb me when sleeping like the Moo did.

I'm wondering how this update knocked a good 10C off the top-end though? The fans don't sound like they're going faster than before but something drastically changed to bring the whole heat level down a good 10C in all conditions.

All-in-all, getting rid of the moo and cutting temperature by a good margin means a pat on the back for Apple techs/engineers who sorted this.

maxi
Aug 18, 2006, 11:43 AM
hahaha

You've got to love apple fans, people who complained about the moo before always said they'd rather have a constant fan spinning... now we've got cooler and moo-free macbooks and still manage to complain. ;)

I truly believe that if apple came out with a dual woodcrest 3ghz 1 inch thick 15" laptop and gave it out for free, people here would still complain :)

Josias
Aug 18, 2006, 11:49 AM
It's true that you under completely silent conditions will be able to hear a very discrete fan spinning slightly.

It is not correct with shorter batterylife. It is true my fan turned on/off before, just didn't say a moo. Since it is just running regularly now, not having to switch it on/off all the time. Before I got 5 hours with AirPort on, and 2-3 windows running in Safari. Now I get up to 5.5 hours.;) And yes, I tested this...

bneff
Aug 18, 2006, 11:53 AM
I didn;t have a moo previously installing this firmware, and i still don't after. My blackbook runs so cool now!!! I have it on my lap! It has to be a first. At startup, it was idling at 25 C, now typing with safari open its only at 29....

I recommed doing the update (btw I'm using coreduotemp)

aristobrat
Aug 18, 2006, 11:56 AM
2) Slightly shorter battery life with the fan running constantly.
Haven't noticed that at all, and I've gone thru 2 charging cycles since I updated yesterday.

If a little 9V battery will run a desk fan for hours and hours and hours, I really doubt that the fan inside the MacBook (which is much, much smaller) will have any noticable impact on battery life.

People that didnt have the moo problem, did the firmware update help? I stayed in 10.4.6 when people where saying that there moo started in 10.4.7 but now with people saying it cooled down the temp im tempted to update, but my two concers are how loud is the hum? and how many people with 10.4.7 have had the colored lines on there screen?
I didn't have the moo problem. The firmware has helped in that my MacBook is running about 10'C-12'C cooler on average than before.

I've also been running 10.4.7 since it came out and have had the colored lines issue once, and that was fixed by resetting the PMU.

WabeWalker
Aug 18, 2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I thought that the mooing for me began with 10.4.7 but that might've been my imagination.

I also suffered from the discoloration issue - and still do.

So I tell people that my new laptop has stains that can't be washed off, and that it moos like a cow. And what do they do, they laugh at me. Well that's just typical isn't it. God they can all go to hell.

FredClausen
Aug 18, 2006, 12:07 PM
conspiracy theory

Seriously, I don't know what is wrong with your MB but my fan is no louder or quieter than before. I didn't have the moo, I don't have it now, and I don't have a humm of the fan on low speed. My battery life is unaffected, and little aliens haven't landed yet.

In fact, I dare-say based on this thread that I am not in the minority either. Lots of people have said in this thread that their MB makes just the same level of noise as before (non MooBook (TM) models) and less noise than before (MooBook (TM) models). With a few exceptions of folks who seem to have stuck fans, no one hears the fans spinning while at idle.

I'm not going to dispute build quality issues with the MB as I am not a Apple apologist or fanboi, but I think we need to give Apple credit where credit is due. They had a problem, they fixed it, and thats not a Bad Thing.

beltzak
Aug 18, 2006, 12:11 PM
Hi:

Does anyone know if the cause of the moo was the fan model, for sure?

Seems like ppl that got the moo were about 65 Cº before the Firmware, now we got about 57 Cº, but with the wrong fan the noise is to loud.

And ppl that hadn't got the moo are running now about 40 ºC ?¿?¿ That's 17 Cº less from mine.

I called Apple support and tell the guy that after the upgrade my macbook does too much noise and if it would be possible to fix this without changing the fan ¿model? ( the cause of the moo?).

Well, I'm not so lucky but still quite happy, but this needs to get fix :rolleyes:

btw: I have hearing problems, around 30 % loss, so not all the macbooks have the same fan ( logic prevails) ;)

aristobrat
Aug 18, 2006, 12:35 PM
And ppl that hadn't got the moo are running now about 40 ºC ?¿?¿ That's 17 Cº less from mine.
IMO, 40ºC is a bit low, period.

Before the update, some MBs ran a lot cooler than others, so it seems logical that the same thing would happen after the update. It's winter where some people live, it's summer for other people. Some people use their MB on granite countertops, some people use it on wood. (There's a cool thread on the MacBook Pro Apple Support forum where people using granite countertops have noticed that their MBPs run a lot cooler than when on other surfaces.)

The update should lower your MBs temperature by about 10'C. If it did, then I wouldn't worry about it if yours isn't exactly as low as some of the lower readings here. Again, I think that 40ºC is pretty low.

St. Germain
Aug 18, 2006, 12:49 PM
Is this the consensus so far: Macbook with moos now are cooled down to the mid 50's while macbooks that never had moos are now in the low 40s!??!?
Never had the moo. I'm getting between 40 and 44 consistently in MenuTemperature and iStat nano.

QCassidy352
Aug 18, 2006, 01:28 PM

how on earth are some of you reporting idling at sub 40 C?? Where are you using these macbooks, in freezers?

as far as the moo goes, it works (until today) like this - ALL macbook fans ran the same way: when they reached a certain temp, they would start cycling. This produced the "moo" sound. However, some people didn't "have the moo" because the fan in their MB was so quiet that it was basically inaudible. My first MB mooed loudly. This replacement MB has exactly the same fan behavior, but the fan is about 1/10 as loud so it's certainly not a problem, for practical purposes.

So if your macbook doesn't moo, this update certainly won't make it start. It's not going to replace your physical fan with a louder one. I'm updating now. :)

St. Germain
Aug 18, 2006, 01:34 PM
how on earth are some of you reporting idling at sub 40 C?? Where are you using these macbooks, in freezers?

as far as the moo goes, it works (until today) like this - ALL macbook fans ran the same way: when they reached a certain temp, they would start cycling. This produced the "moo" sound. However, some people didn't "have the moo" because the fan in their MB was so quiet that it was basically inaudible. My first MB mooed loudly. This replacement MB has exactly the same fan behavior, but the fan is about 1/10 as loud so it's certainly not a problem, for practical purposes.

So if your macbook doesn't moo, this update certainly won't make it start. It's not going to replace your physical fan with a louder one. I'm updating now. :)

It's probably worth mentioning that I have it on an iCurve stand while I'm working so that I can use it in dual screen mode with my 20" ACD. (works very well that way)

Since my last post, I shut down my MB and let it cool down for several minutes. Just restarted it and now have several apps running on it. Right now my temp is fluctuating between 24 C and 28 C. I haven't seen it get over 30 C since I shut it down and restarted. I've even been starting up apps I thought might increase the temp such as Photo Booth, several browser windows, a Quicktime movie, etc.

iLunar
Aug 18, 2006, 01:45 PM
Since my last post, I shut down my MB and let it cool down for several minutes. Just restarted it and now have several apps running on it. Right now my temp is fluctuating between 24 C and 28 C. I haven't seen it get over 30 C since I shut it down and restarted. I've even been starting up apps I thought might increase the temp such as Photo Booth, several browser windows, a Quicktime movie, etc.

This is what happened to my Macbook, as well. I updated the firmware, did the restart, and used it for a little over an hour. The temps were 50-60C. Then I put the Macbook to sleep for about 30 mins, opened it back up, and it was running at 29C - didn't fluctuate at all.

I tried my hardest to get the temps past 30C, but it wouldn't budge. I thought there might something wrong with the temperature censors, but even the bottom of the Macbook felt luke-warm to warm at best.

I had Firefox open with 5 tabs, including a youtube video. Opened Word and Photoshop (both Rosetta), and the temps still wouldn't increase. Also, I didn't hear much fan noise at all unless I put my ear right to the keyboard.

SamIchi
Aug 18, 2006, 01:53 PM
I didn't have the moo before, and the fans are running at a constant low speed like one of the posters said. The temp seems noticably lower. I think the temp was probably (I didn't check it much) around 70, and now it's down to 60. I remember seeing it reach 80 before, that was scary. Overall I say this is a good update, I was a little upset that the fans are running constantly but it doesn't really bother me and it keeps my MB cooler so I'm glad I updated.

Josias
Aug 18, 2006, 02:06 PM
Wow! It really seems like the update is good from any aspect. Go update!:D

I just gotta ask, has anyone experienced that their MB also boots faster. I just chopped 2 seconds of my record?

dsnort
Aug 18, 2006, 02:26 PM

My Macbook never mooed, but the fans would kick into high gear on occassion, and it was warm. Since I installed the update, the temp has gone down about 10 Degrees C. The fans are running at a very low rate at all times now, but it's real quiet. You have to listen close to notice it at all.

QCassidy352
Aug 18, 2006, 02:27 PM
hmm, my temps do not seem to have dropped at all. :( Still scoring in the mid 60s under use according to coreduotemp. I have no idea how some of you can idle at sub 40 much less be unable to crack THIRTY when trying to do so!!!

edit: okay, maybe it's a bit cooler. Now it's staying around 58 C with photobooth and camino running. Photobooth used to push it to near 70. But it was in the mid 60s just a minute ago... Definitely no fan cycling though. :)

dukebound85
Aug 18, 2006, 02:40 PM
I do find that my macbook runs a bit faster now that its cooler.

maknik
Aug 18, 2006, 02:59 PM
So there's no way whatsoever to return to the old firmware once this has been installed, is that right? I realize there's no orthodox method; there's no unorthodox cleverness either?

I ask only as a MooBook owner who doesn't want to get stuck with an even noisier MoanBook. I suppose the fans are noisiest when starting or stopping, and thus might be quieter when running non-stop at a low speed, but the opinions here seem mixed. Hm, how annoying to get bogged down in neurotic trivia...

AndyR
Aug 18, 2006, 03:04 PM
My MacBook has gone crap now.

Before when running normal stuff it would moo for ages, now put the update on and great the moo stopped. But now the fans basically sound like they are going full speed all the time with only firefox only. ***** stupid this is!!! Wish I had never bothered with the fix now, the moo was better than this hunk of crap.

Kinda wish I'd never bought this buggy peice of junk now :(

Sorry, just really racked of now. I've heard quieter PeeCee's than this thing :mad:

St. Germain
Aug 18, 2006, 03:14 PM
One more update...after removing it from the iCurve and running it on my desk for an hour, the temp still didn't get above 30 C. Most times it hovered around 24 C. I thought maybe the iCurve was the explanation for it running cooler but it stayed about the same on the desktop.

QCassidy352
Aug 18, 2006, 03:28 PM
One more update...after removing it from the iCurve and running it on my desk for an hour, the temp still didn't get above 30 C. Most times it hovered around 24 C. I thought maybe the iCurve was the explanation for it running cooler but it stayed about the same on the desktop.

Are you sure your temp sensors are working right? Mine is more than twice that. Given that they are the same components, that really doesn't seem possible.

erikamsterdam
Aug 18, 2006, 04:13 PM
Wow, that was the first time I heard the fans in my Macbook, when they blew at full speed during the install. Not loud at all, not compared to my old iBook that had the fan on all the time.
But now it's silent again. And seems to be cooler :p