Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
just found this site...love it...

i know people are over on apple.com/support going ape over this but i can't seem to solve the problem.

my ATI drivers are casuing hell on my g4...i recently upgraded to OS 9.2.2 and now upon boot my computer just hangs at startup. i've turned off the ATI Graphic Accelerator extension and the problem goes away...but now i got a slow refresh which sucks (i'm a designer and this is a real headache).

i've installed the updated drivers from ATI with no changes...

help?!!! anybody know of anything else i can do?

also...i have Nvidia extensions too...are these for a different graphics cards that i don't even need?

another thing i've noticed...why does the update install an ATI Radeon extension too...do i need this?

confused and sad...my computer is great otherwise...waiting for the next big thing to come along (g5 maybe) before i buy a new one...but i've had this thing for nearly two years...i have yet to even max it out...

thanks in advance for any good help/advice...jv

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Turn off the Nvidia extensions, they are for GeForce cards and the like. Turn off the ATI Raedon extension unless you have a raedon card. Turn off any other video extensions that you aren't using. That's about all the advice I can give you.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
yep

did those things...in the last 12 years i've never had a mac problem i couldn't fix...

i'm hearing about so many problems with everything these days...i'm probably going to wait a year and a half before going to OS X because i don't have time to deal with tech problems and run my own little design firm at the same time...

i wish apple would get their head out of their ass...living near microsoft my entire life...knowing tons of people who work there...apple is seeming a little more like them recently...maybe it's just paranoia...

on a total tangent (which should probably be a different thread)...our local phone service and msn have struck a deal so that all DSL and dialup connections are now EXCLUSIVELY to be carried through MS (if you are signed up with qwest - and many are)...EVERYBODY i know who has a mac has found themselves recently without connectivity...when calling qwest/msn...they are told the same thing...

"MACS NOT SUPPORTED - go somewhere else"...

argh...i just want my monitor to refresh properly...this is totally frustrating...jv

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Have you updated the ATI drivers/extensions?? Also, what other extensions, besides the OS ones, are installed. I would suspect that there is an extension conflict going on. Start viewing by packages and turning off ones that are not 100% necessary. Also, make sure that they are all the latest versions (that could fix it right there if you haven't already done it).

I had a slight problem with my G4 500 when I updated the ATI drivers (long after installing 9.2.2) and found the problem was a Retrospect extension. Since I no longer use Retrospect, I disabled it and everything went to playing nice.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Re: yep

Originally posted by jvaska
did those things...in the last 12 years i've never had a mac problem i couldn't fix...

...our local phone service and msn have struck a deal so that all DSL and dialup connections are now EXCLUSIVELY to be carried through MS (if you are signed up with qwest - and many are)...EVERYBODY i know who has a mac has found themselves recently without connectivity...when calling qwest/msn...they are told the same thing...

"MACS NOT SUPPORTED - go somewhere else"...

...jv

M$ has acquired the rites to AT&T's local, broadband and Cable rites through a company called Comcast. Any company that relied on AT&T or TCI in the past for signal will soon have the same issues. I guarantee it. Comcast and AT&T were both owned in large part by M$ and the deal was not reviewed in the antitrust case because the regulatory agencies governing Cable rites, the agency governing Phone rites and the agency prosecuting M$ are all different and have no impetus to consult one another.

How does it feel to buy exclusively from either M$, Pepsi or RJR Nabisco?

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
hey alpha...yep...done all of that...ad infinitum...argh...

i'm rather peeved about this...i know others have the same problem...

i know eventually the solution will reveal itself...i hope...

yeah...m$...hahaha...i was a kid when they began building the first installment of the big campus in redmond/bellevue...we used to ride our bmx bikes through the forest...what we found so interesting was that they had security guys sitting in an open lot doing nothing but watching the land...before they had even dug into the earth...these guys would chase us down and kick us off the property...

we were positive they were building missile silos at the time...jv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.