PDA

View Full Version : No Jobs Keynote at Paris Expo

AlBDamned
Aug 18, 2006, 03:27 AM
Link here

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=15590

dcv
Aug 18, 2006, 03:30 AM
Oh well, that's more time to spend sitting in cafes/bars in Paris then...

gadgetgirl85
Aug 18, 2006, 03:41 AM
Hmm wonder what this will mean

XIII
Aug 18, 2006, 03:42 AM
Mmm, I just heard this.. I won't bother going then.

spicyapple
Aug 18, 2006, 03:42 AM
maybe stebe is not feeling well... perhaps the rumours were true...

Chundles
Aug 18, 2006, 03:44 AM
maybe stebe is not feeling well... perhaps the rumours were true...

Doubt it, I reckon there's nothing to announce. Bring on the Apple-Ninja-Surprise-Events!!

AlBDamned
Aug 18, 2006, 03:44 AM
Hmm wonder what this will mean

I think it just means the product news at Paris will again be a case of "here's some more crap for .Mac!"

Kardashian
Aug 18, 2006, 03:46 AM
Normally, this would have annoyed me.

I want 12GB Nano's!

But.. I JUST PASSED MY THEORY DRIVING TEST, SO IM ALL HAAAAAPPY! :D:D:D

Chundles
Aug 18, 2006, 03:48 AM
I think it just means the product news at Paris will again be a case of "here's some more crap for .Mac!"

If it's more .Mac I'm gonna scream!!

bousozoku
Aug 18, 2006, 03:51 AM
Has Steve Jobs been on an airplane since 11 Sept., 2001? I don't recall his being at any conference or exposition outside California since that day.

Phil Schiller will probably announce the processor updates to the various machines.

Chundles
Aug 18, 2006, 03:52 AM
Has Steve Jobs been on an airplane since 11 Sept., 2001? I don't recall his being at any conference or exposition outside California since that day.

He was at Paris last year for the press Q&A with Apple execs - the whole lot of them were there.

spicyapple
Aug 18, 2006, 03:56 AM
Has Steve Jobs been on an airplane since 11 Sept., 2001?
Unless Steve drove across the country when he attended the opening of the Apple Store on Fifth Avenue (http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/).

http://static.flickr.com/56/149319341_d50d183fc2.jpg

kewpid
Aug 18, 2006, 04:13 AM
Doesn't he have a private jet? There's no need for him to slum it with the rest of us.

miniConvert
Aug 18, 2006, 04:13 AM
There's something about that picture that makes me want to give him a big hug :D

Shame about the keynote news. Oh well, life goes on.

Chris Bangle
Aug 18, 2006, 04:45 AM
He does have a private jet, it was on airliners.net once... more importanly no keynt, can u belive it, i want new products, living in kent im only a few hours away from Paris so I may have gone, forget it now though.

rdowns
Aug 18, 2006, 04:52 AM
Makes sense to me. What is Jobs going to do a keynote on when all Apple has up its sleeve is notebooks with newer chips, maybe the iMac with a newer chip or less likely, the mini? Or bumped up storage for nanos? The press would fry Apple.

No way a video iPod and iTunes Movie Store get announced in Paris. This will be a Hollywood style event held in California with studio heads and movie stars.

Mord
Aug 18, 2006, 05:06 AM
i'm probably going to go still, but it's a bit of a disappointment....

Queso
Aug 18, 2006, 05:10 AM
As long as they update the iPod nano with more storage, I'm happy. There's nothing else I really want from Apple right now.

Willis
Aug 18, 2006, 10:45 AM
Normally, this would have annoyed me.

I want 12GB Nano's!

But.. I JUST PASSED MY THEORY DRIVING TEST, SO IM ALL HAAAAAPPY! :D:D:D

Congrats. I got 35 and 55 in my Theory test and 6 minors on my Practical test :)

For the Keynote... sort of expected it. But then theres the Expo in London after Paris, so you never know. And then theres Macworld after that. So really, not too long for some updates.

djkny
Aug 18, 2006, 11:45 AM
That, according to Apple Insider.
Which means, if we see a MBP Merom update, it should be a silent one (although Schiller did present the iMac re-design a few years ago, I believe).

The silent update dates? August 29, Sept 5, Sept 19 ... or basically next Jan, which would reek.

kgarner
Aug 18, 2006, 11:49 AM
Agreed, if there is no Jobs keynote, then it will be a silent update, or a special event. While Schiller did present the iMac redesign he only did it because I believe Jobs was int he hospital for cancer treatments at the time.

As for a timeline I thinkthat September 5th is likely, which may make me upset. My school has brokered a deal for MacBook Pros and I will be geetting mine within a week unless one of my professors can confirm that we will get the new systems when they are released. I might be able to wait a week or two for an upgraded system. I'll love it either way, but an upgrade a week or two after I buy mine will kind of sting. The better than educational discount price will help though.

M. Malone
Aug 18, 2006, 12:08 PM
Apple Insider (http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1980)

Which means there will be a quiet update to the MBPs...right? :confused:

FredClausen
Aug 18, 2006, 12:34 PM
:(

Probably related to the French gov't screwing Apple over.

Looks like the story has already made Digg (http://digg.com/apple/No_Jobs_in_MacWorld_Paris). I swear those diggers are fast as lightning with this stuff.

crees!
Aug 18, 2006, 12:34 PM
sucky sucky.

EricNau
Aug 18, 2006, 12:41 PM
That's really too bad. :(

BlizzardBomb
Aug 18, 2006, 12:42 PM
Silent updates or seperate media events then. Come on 2.33 GHz Merom MBP and 2.4 GHz Conroe iMac! :p

djkny
Aug 18, 2006, 12:47 PM
Then again, MBP Merom might be delayed until NOVEMBER!

Check this:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=266

red41
Aug 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
Maybe they are trying to move away from Jobs being the only face of Apple. He isn't going to be around forever and it may be wise to prove that Apple will still be Apple without him (whether that is true or not).

XIII
Aug 18, 2006, 02:40 PM
Maybe they are trying to move away from Jobs being the only face of Apple. He isn't going to be around forever and it may be wise to prove that Apple will still be Apple without him (whether that is true or not).

There isn't just no Jobs keynote - There's no keynote at all. This has nothing to do with Steve.

mrwilly123
Aug 18, 2006, 03:59 PM

Check this:

That's ********. When are Dell/Lenovo/Whatever Meroms coming out. There's no reason for Apple to be on a different schedule than those companies.

But if that is true, I might cry. I've been waiting since June to get my MBP, and was hoping to get it before I go to school in 3 weeks.

CmdrLaForge
Aug 18, 2006, 04:03 PM
I really wonder why. I thought that its about time for consumer updates - iMacs, iPods and that kind of stuff. And when is the iPhone coming?

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 18, 2006, 04:04 PM
I really wonder why. I thought that its about time for consumer updates - iMacs, iPods and that kind of stuff. And when is the iPhone coming?

Exactly - what happened to the "greatest product pipeline in the history of Apple" ???

zap2
Aug 18, 2006, 04:30 PM
Doubt it, I reckon there's nothing to announce. Bring on the Apple-Ninja-Surprise-Events!!

He didn't do a keynote last year, and we got the Nano.. so don't speak to fast

AlBDamned
Aug 18, 2006, 04:35 PM
He didn't do a keynote last year, and we got the Nano.. so don't speak to fast

The Nano wasn't launched at Paris though. It was launched at a special event where, to all intents and purposes, Jobs' "keynote" was the only thing going on.

brepublican
Aug 18, 2006, 04:37 PM
Well, so much for them PowerBook G5 announcements we've been waiting for... :mad:

meanmusic
Aug 18, 2006, 04:37 PM
That, according to Apple Insider.
Which means, if we see a MBP Merom update, it should be a silent one (although Schiller did present the iMac re-design a few years ago, I believe).

The silent update dates? August 29, Sept 5, Sept 19 ... or basically next Jan, which would reek.

I agree. I'm guessing Sept. 5. I hope the MBP inlcudes a user accessible hard drive and new latch system.

~Shard~
Aug 18, 2006, 04:39 PM
A Stevenote would have been great, obviously, but we got by last year without one and we'll get by this year as well. Hopefully there are still some nice product announcements around that time. Hopefully no keynote != no cool announcements.

zap2
Aug 18, 2006, 04:53 PM
The Nano wasn't launched at Paris though. It was launched at a special event where, to all intents and purposes, Jobs' "keynote" was the only thing going on.

Then thats my bet for whay happens this year

p0intblank
Aug 19, 2006, 10:58 AM
Well, so much for them PowerBook G5 announcements we've been waiting for... :mad:

Do you have any idea how old the PowerBook G5 jokes are by now... ?

Seriously.

nataku
Aug 19, 2006, 06:53 PM
The Apple Expo in Paris is not a big deal anyway. No major announcements are due since all of them were revealed at WWDC. I don't think this contributes to rumors circling around.

~Shard~
Aug 19, 2006, 06:59 PM
The Apple Expo in Paris is not a big deal anyway. No major announcements are due since all of them were revealed at WWDC. I don't think this contributes to rumors circling around.

You think all of Apple's goodies were released at WWDC and they have no surprises for us in the upcoming month or so? You must be new to the Apple universe. :p ;) :cool:

nataku
Aug 20, 2006, 01:07 AM
You think all of Apple's goodies were released at WWDC and they have no surprises for us in the upcoming month or so? You must be new to the Apple universe. :p ;) :cool:

Well, maybe you get excited. I honestly couldn't care any less with iPod news. I don't like it if they converge too many features into one device. They should perfect it first. All I care about are new mac stuff. If we see a merom mbp, fine. Nothing too big. I only get excited about a true new generation of apple products (imac, mb, mbp, mp, and software) with new features that will really make me go out there and buy it. :rolleyes:

~Shard~
Aug 20, 2006, 01:13 AM
Well, maybe you get excited. I honestly couldn't care any less with iPod news.

I only get excited about a true new generation of apple products (imac, mb, mbp, mp, and software) with new features that will really make me go out there and buy it.

I guess I'm not as picky as you then - to each their own!

Applespider
Aug 20, 2006, 04:32 AM
The Apple Expo in Paris is not a big deal anyway. No major announcements are due since all of them were revealed at WWDC.

It's been a big deal as recently as 2 years ago when the iMac G5 was announced there. Even though any MBP and iMac chip bumps are more likely to be 'silent' releases, it was plausible to think that they might release them at Paris in a mini-keynote.

p0intblank
Aug 21, 2006, 07:37 PM
I voted twice... Negative for no keynote and Positive for Apple's special presentation! :D

gugy
Aug 21, 2006, 07:48 PM
Last year we learned that Apple is not tied anymore to the big events like MWSF, WWDC and Apple Expo to announce products. So there is no need for anybody to be sad about the fact Steve won't be doing a keynote.
At any time we can get a Special Event and the intro of new products.
I bet before end of October we will see new stuff geared for the holiday season. Specially the ipod.
As for the computers, speed updates will happen without much fanfare on Tuesdays.

daneoni
Aug 21, 2006, 07:50 PM
Congrats. I got 35 and 55 in my Theory test and 6 minors on my Practical test :)

For the Keynote... sort of expected it. But then theres the Expo in London after Paris, so you never know. And then theres Macworld after that. So really, not too long for some updates.

35, 57 and 1 minor...in London. Ha, beat that!

iMikeT
Aug 21, 2006, 07:59 PM
Oh well.

I guess we will be seeing quiet revisions until MacWorld.:(

freakonguitar
Aug 21, 2006, 08:12 PM

Phil Schiller will probably announce the processor updates to the various machines.

Well i sure hope so! I need to get a desktop soon for the school year, but don't want to buy one and then be kicking myself shortly after because they came out with mermon in them and a ram upgrade or even better a new case design with conroe!:p :D

ColdFlame87
Aug 21, 2006, 08:17 PM
This is pretty frustrating I had originally waited for WWDC to see if a new MBP would be released, as i need one for school, and nothing was released so I decided to wait for Paris but now I hear theres no Keynote im getting pretty fed up with waitind, and it would really suck if its not released until nov- jan. Then again I dont want to get it now and have them be updated on a tuesday and the next few weeks... I guess the wait continues :mad:

playaj82
Aug 21, 2006, 08:30 PM
Don't forget.....Apple has a 14 day return policy

If something comes out in between now and Sept 14, just don't buy your computer until Sept. 1 to fit in the window.

I'm going to buy a MB, although I doubt the MB will be receiving Meroms, but if on Sept. 5 something "arrives" I can still return it and get the newest baby.

Chupa Chupa
Aug 21, 2006, 08:57 PM
Don't forget.....Apple has a 14 day return policy

Sure, with a hefty restock fee on open box items. Are you really going to buy a $2000 computer, use it for a few days, and then return it for $1800 so you can have a Core 2 MBP. Why? I mean if you can delay this long, surely you can delay long enough to just get a Core 2 MBP in the first place. I don't understand why you'd want to just throw $200 away. That could by you 2GBs of RAM.

MattyMac
Aug 21, 2006, 09:18 PM
There was no keynote last year either, what a bummer.

Multimedia
Aug 21, 2006, 09:49 PM
At lesat we won't be waiting for Tuesday morning to know what's what at the German show. Looks like an Aperature upgrade with new MBP at the latest by this date. I still think they will be announced sooner than that.

Multimedia
Aug 21, 2006, 09:57 PM
The Apple Expo in Paris is not a big deal anyway. No major announcements are due since all of them were revealed at WWDC. I don't think this contributes to rumors circling around.In 2003 it was the launch place for the revolutionary Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4. In 2004 it was the launch place for the iMac G5. So I don't see how you can say it is not a big deal. In the past it was a very big deal.

Some of us didnt think Apple was permanently breaking their pattern just because they passed last year. :eek:

fastlane1588
Aug 21, 2006, 09:57 PM
At lesat we won't be waiting for Tuesday morning to know what's what at the German show. Looks like an Aperature upgrade with new MBP at the latest by this date. I still think they will be announced sooner than that.
Well I hope the mbp will be out by then! Pretty soon all the pc laptops will be coming out w/ the merom chips.

Demoman
Aug 21, 2006, 10:25 PM
:(

Probably related to the French gov't screwing Apple over.

Looks like the story has already made Digg (http://digg.com/apple/No_Jobs_in_MacWorld_Paris). I swear those diggers are fast as lightning with this stuff.

That is the same thought that crossed my mind. Just a thought mind you...absolutely not evidence to substantiate it. Why would any company want to hold a show in Paris anyway. You might as well hold it in Minsk.

Multimedia
Aug 21, 2006, 10:50 PM
That is the same thought that crossed my mind. Just a thought mind you...absolutely not evidence to substantiate it. Why would any company want to hold a show in Paris anyway. You might as well hold it in Minsk.France's people buy more Macs than anywhere else in all of Europe. Paris in the Summer is a magical place to visit. :)

BKF
Aug 21, 2006, 11:06 PM
Well, this is too bad. But it seems that if Apple hasn't gotten their Next Big Thing/s out by now (those downloadable movies [thank you, Lion's Gate], that video iPod, etc.), then it is waiting to insert it/them into the forward edge of the Christmas shopping season. So, what does that mean, exactly? September? October? Bueller? Bueller?

berkleeboy210
Aug 21, 2006, 11:20 PM
Well, this is too bad. But it seems that if Apple hasn't gotten their Next Big Thing/s out by now (those downloadable movies [thank you, Lion's Gate], that video iPod, etc.), then it is waiting to insert it/them into the forward edge of the Christmas shopping season. So, what does that mean, exactly? September? October? Bueller? Bueller?

Probably Mid -October for the iPods. If I recall correctly I think last year's iPod event was Oct. 19th

~Shard~
Aug 22, 2006, 12:00 AM
Probably Mid -October for the iPods. If I recall correctly I think last year's iPod event was Oct. 19th

Sounds about right to me. Perfect timing to capitalize on the Christmas buying season.... :cool:

Further to this, I think it's not a bad thing that Apple hasn't updated the iPod lines in a while. It's been a while, so people have actually had their iPods for quite some time and haven't been able to upgrade recently - as a result, they'll be very much ready to buy a new iPod when it is announced. If new iPods were announced every couple of months by Apple, I think it would just be a bit much, and not an effective sales technique. I like this scenario better.

bigbossbmb
Aug 22, 2006, 12:16 AM

I really hope that this is simply Aperture 1.2 as I don't want to see an update I'll have to pay for yet. The software is good now...I think they need to get version 1 to a professional level before they can think about building a professional version 2.

ezekielrage_99
Aug 22, 2006, 12:57 AM
So does this mean no new Apple stuff next month :confused:

BWhaler
Aug 22, 2006, 02:36 AM
I just hope this does not mean the MBP bumps are coming late September. I guess it makes some sense since it will allow Apple to build some inventory, but I really want my new laptop before my next trip.

Fingers crossed...

cube
Aug 22, 2006, 02:43 AM
"Photokina, a photography-based show"

Man, Photokina is the biggest photo expo in the world

aswitcher
Aug 22, 2006, 03:04 AM
Mmm. Better keep a close eye on Tuesday I guess. I think no form factor changes etc until MWSF. Core 2 could easily appear in iMacs etc

Evangelion
Aug 22, 2006, 03:33 AM
Why would any company want to hold a show in Paris anyway. You might as well hold it in Minsk.

Um, apart from the fact that Paris is one of the major metropolitan areas of the world and capital of a major European country? Hell, Paris has a lot more people living there than San Francisco does! And not to mention that it's a lot easier for Europeans to reach Paris than it is for them to reach San Fransisco.

mozmac
Aug 22, 2006, 03:51 AM
Hey Frenchies...stop dicking around with the iTunes Fairplay DRM. We all know that's why Steve isn't going over there. He's pissed that they would try to screw him over like that, so he's taking a stand. Apple can release things whenever they want to; they don't have to wait for an expo...especially not one in a country that wants to tear down the success that Apple has been enjoying.

I think this is a good thing and I'm going to click on "Positive" for the rating right after I post this.

gauchogolfer
Aug 22, 2006, 03:59 AM
That is the same thought that crossed my mind. Just a thought mind you...absolutely not evidence to substantiate it. Why would any company want to hold a show in Paris anyway. You might as well hold it in Minsk.

Thank you for demonstrating your narrow-minded view of the world. I'll have to keep that in mind for your future posts. In case you didn't know, Paris is home to over 10 million people, and France is wayyy more Mac-centric than other European countries; if Apple wants to have a presence here, France (and by extension Paris) makes the most sense as a place for an Apple Expo.

gauchogolfer
Aug 22, 2006, 04:04 AM
Hey Frenchies...stop dicking around with the iTunes Fairplay DRM. We all know that's why Steve isn't going over there. He's pissed that they would try to screw him over like that, so he's taking a stand. Apple can release things whenever they want to; they don't have to wait for an expo...especially not one in a country that wants to tear down the success that Apple has been enjoying.

I think this is a good thing and I'm going to click on "Positive" for the rating right after I post this.

I really can't understand why people have such hard feelings for the French DRM law here. It's not saying that no DRM can exist, it's saying that it should be compatible across platforms. I see this as only good for consumers. If you had a choice of every music provider out there to get music and videos for your iPod, wouldn't you prefer that? To *want* to be tied into a single provider is mind-boggling to me.

And, I don't think that France is trying to *bring down* Apple because they're jealous of their success or anything juvenile like that. I think they are truly looking out for the consumer here, rather than just bending over for large corporations as happens in some other countries.

mozmac
Aug 22, 2006, 04:05 AM
Thank you for demonstrating your narrow-minded view of the world. I'll have to keep that in mind for your future posts. In case you didn't know, Paris is home to over 10 million people, and France is wayyy more Mac-centric than other European countries; if Apple wants to have a presence here, France (and by extension Paris) makes the most sense as a place for an Apple Expo.

I agree with you. I can totally understand why Apple holds an expo in Paris. Jean Gassee (or however it's spelled) came over from Apple Paris to head some major projects for Apple back in the day. He then went on to create the Be OS which was being considered for purchase by Apple, but got beat out by NeXT...and Steve Jobs. Apple is very smart to give the French Mac-loyalists what they deserve. However, I believe Steve Jobs is protesting because he does not like the way the French government is treating his baby...the iTunes Music Store.

Queso
Aug 22, 2006, 04:11 AM
I like France, but don't care for Paris much. Too many obnoxious people and the only place in France where anyone has ever laughed at me for attempting to speak French.

How about Mac Expo Grenoble instead? :)

gauchogolfer
Aug 22, 2006, 04:13 AM
I like France, but don't care for Paris much. Too many obnoxious people and the only place in France where anyone has ever laughed at me for attempting to speak French.

How about Mac Expo Grenoble instead? :)

I don't really want to travel that far, either, though I agree that the people in Grenoble are much friendlier towards non-native speakers than in Paris. To be most convenient to me, I nominate Nice :). It could be held in the Acropolis here, to offset the Windows conferences that occur every year :D.

mozmac
Aug 22, 2006, 04:14 AM
I'm glad you know something, at least. I really can't understand why people have such hard feelings for the French DRM law here. It's not saying that no DRM can exist, it's saying that it should be compatible across platforms. I see this as only good for consumers. If you had a choice of every music provider out there to get music and videos for your iPod, wouldn't you prefer that? To *want* to be tied into a single provider is mind-boggling to me.

And, I don't think that France is trying to *bring down* Apple because they're jealous of their success or anything juvenile like that. I think they are truly looking out for the consumer here, rather than just bending over for large corporations as happens in some other countries.

You know...this topic has been talked about so much, and I've never really heard it put that way. I still don't agree with the original legislation, but I can definitely see your point. Apple's iPod / iTunes marriage is very similar in some ways to Microsoft's Windows / Internet Explorer marriage, which the entire world has been trying to break up for the past six years. However, Apple is using the exact same model that it does for its computers. It makes the hardware and the software. It is a complete package...you don't get one without the other. If people want to use "an inferior" product, they can. There are other online music stores and players. However, if you want the best, you go with Apple. They could allow other players to use their software, but then they wouldn't be able to provide the complete package which has proven to be the best out there. Most companies don't have the ability to pull off this type of integration and beauty, but Apple has shown us that they can. I wouldn't want to settle for something less when I can already have the best.

I will say this, though. Apple's monopoly is different from Microsoft's. Microsoft used illegal and unethical means to create their monopoly. Apple simply innovated and beat the living snot out of the competition by making the best product on the market. And so...if you want the best...you have to get the whole package.

Queso
Aug 22, 2006, 04:20 AM
I don't really want to travel that far, either, though I agree that the people in Grenoble are much friendlier towards non-native speakers than in Paris. To be most convenient to me, I nominate Nice :). It could be held in the Acropolis here, to offset the Windows conferences that occur every year :D.
Mac Expo Nice. Yeah, but they'll have to move it to a different time of year so we can get some winter sun. Or how about Cannes, since all the creative types know where it is already?

Basically anywhere but Paris suits me. Mac Expo Le Havre anyone? :D

Daniel.steel
Aug 22, 2006, 04:20 AM
the fact that it has moved to a photography show there could be sight of a apple cam?

gauchogolfer
Aug 22, 2006, 04:22 AM
I'm with you on Cannes, since that's even closer to where I live. I could ride my bike there. :)

There's plenty of sun no matter when you schedule it, so I say, Mac Expo Côte d'Azur here we come!

aafuss1
Aug 22, 2006, 04:46 AM
Photokina-fits in the recent EOS MkIII rumors for Canon-a good place to spoil their partu.

mi5moav
Aug 22, 2006, 04:48 AM
I'm hoping Apple finally launches a great consumer Hi Definition HD or Flash based consumer video camera. I really, really want to step up to HD and HD storage but all I see out there is Canon, Sony and Panasonic. Europeans love taking movies and I think this could be a good place to show this off.

cellphones
music players
video devices

I can't see Apple going beyond this anytime soon

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 22, 2006, 07:16 AM
First of all, Photokina is a HUGE event. Like MWSF for photo geeks. Leica is supposedly rumored to introduce the new Leica M8 Digital. For the slightly more fanatical photo geeks that is as big as when Job returned to Apple for Mac-heads.
If Apple want to make a splash there, they better have something like when they introduced the iPod. REALLY big.
...and I don't have the slightest clue what that could be....
Any ideas?

rockstarjoe
Aug 22, 2006, 07:33 AM
"Photokina, a photography-based show"

Man, Photokina is the biggest photo expo in the world

Any chance, then, of updated Cinema Displays? Seems like a big photo expo might be the place to do it...

ezekielrage_99
Aug 22, 2006, 07:55 AM
Any chance, then, of updated Cinema Displays? Seems like a big photo expo might be the place to do it...

They already updated them at WWDC

See all updated (http://www.apple.com/displays/) :cool:

jydesign
Aug 22, 2006, 08:18 AM
Adobe will be there too - http://www.adobe.com/de/events/photokina2006/index.html

Perhaps we'll get a Universal Binary Photoshop (and/or Studio CS)? Considering that rosetta-running Adobe apps are holding back Apple's new hardware benchmarks, this would be a key release opp. That would be a big boon for Apple.

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 22, 2006, 09:06 AM
Adobe will be there too - http://www.adobe.com/de/events/photokina2006/index.html

Perhaps we'll get a Universal Binary Photoshop (and/or Studio CS)? Considering that rosetta-running Adobe apps are holding back Apple's new hardware benchmarks, this would be a key release opp. That would be a big boon for Apple.
Assuming Adobe release the UB Creative Suite, does that really call for Apple to be there too? I don't know but photoshop and mac isn't exactly any news. Besides you can run CS under rosetta at desent speed on a MacPro.
Ok, you will get a serious speed boost as soon as CS goes UB, but it is still just a speed bump. Hardly something that calls for Apples presence at Photokina.
Moreover, the special presentation at the 25th seem way too much just to show off CS(UB)...or am I wrong? :confused:

~Shard~
Aug 22, 2006, 09:31 AM
So does this mean no new Apple stuff next month :confused:

I would be very surprised if there were no announcements at all throughout September. We'll definitely be seeing something from Apple in the next month IMO.

Galfridus
Aug 22, 2006, 09:38 AM
I've taken my bad French to several parts of France including Paris and Nice, and was always treated politely.

More to the point: I too am buying a Mac laptop soon (my first since they went color!), and hate to find myself playing the waiting game. I'm looking for a 13" though -- it seems like this is going to be a MBP update only, so unless they are secretly bringing out a new model, the update probably won't matter to me.

...right? ;)

milo
Aug 22, 2006, 11:22 AM

Check this:

Ogrady is a clueless idiot when it comes to predictions. I don't think he's EVER been right about anything.

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 22, 2006, 11:53 AM
I would be very surprised if there were no announcements at all throughout September. We'll definitely be seeing something from Apple in the next month IMO.
I myself is a bit surprised that people don't react on Apple having a presentation September 25th at Photokina. :confused:
I doubt Apple would have a presentation just because UB CS was released.
But again that is just me...

Fireburst
Aug 22, 2006, 12:26 PM
Probably an Aperture and FCP update :rolleyes:

Unspeaked
Aug 22, 2006, 12:34 PM

Not a chance.

No UB until CS3 sometime in early to mid '07.

Unspeaked
Aug 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
I've taken my bad French to several parts of France including Paris and Nice, and was always treated politely.

More to the point: I too am buying a Mac laptop soon (my first since they went color!), and hate to find myself playing the waiting game. I'm looking for a 13" though -- it seems like this is going to be a MBP update only, so unless they are secretly bringing out a new model, the update probably won't matter to me.

...right? ;)

You're talking yourself out of a purchase the same way other folks waiting for a MacBook did at WWDC.

Now, instead of having had a great new computer for two months (since they were waiting even BEFORE the Developer's Conference), they're waiting again for the Paris Expo.

If it's not announced there, that'll make 4 months that these very same people have been waiting for a MacBook update to come out, all the while missing out on the chance to have one of the best laptops Apple's ever produced.

And for what? To get a 10% speed increase (if that much!)...?

Doesn't make much sense to me...

~Shard~
Aug 22, 2006, 12:53 PM
I doubt Apple would have a presentation just because UB CS was released.

UB CS will not be released at this event though - CS will not be UB until CS3, which is not scheduled for release until Spring '07.

shecky
Aug 22, 2006, 01:00 PM
the fact that it has moved to a photography show there could be sight of a apple cam?

no way.

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 22, 2006, 01:16 PM
UB CS will not be released at this event though - CS will not be UB until CS3, which is not scheduled for release until Spring '07.
In that case, why is Apple holding a presentation at Photokina of all places? As far as I know this is the first time Apple is at Photokina. The presentation might reveal one of those things you were talking about before.

~Shard~
Aug 22, 2006, 02:20 PM
In that case, why is Apple holding a presentation at Photokina of all places? As far as I know this is the first time Apple is at Photokina. The presentation might reveal one of those things you were talking about before.

A very good question! ;) :D All I know is what the CEO of Adobe stated re: CS3, and I doubt that will change. As for what Apple's motives are for participating in this event, your guess is as good as mine, but I'm hoping it's something good. :cool:

Unspeaked
Aug 22, 2006, 02:25 PM

Aperture?

Apple-branded digital cameras?

An iPod that can take photos and shoot video?

Who the heck knows? That's why we read MacRumors!

Queso
Aug 22, 2006, 02:25 PM
Aperture. I was talking to a professional photographer last week who moaned that he'd gone along to a Canon presentation, and half the time was Apple peddling their software. Apple are pushing to photographers in a big way.

Half Glass
Aug 22, 2006, 02:47 PM
Was going to buy Aperture, but I think I'll wait.

I've used it before and *love* it. Since I'm buying with the wife's educational connections, the license usually does not allow upgrades so I'll wait just to make sure.

If FCP is updated, I hope it is not a major release but a free download. Looking at the performance pages on the MacPro site, it indicates the benchmarks were using a "beta version of final cut pro" that appears to utilize multiple cores more effeciently. I'll be upset if the crossgrade I just took advantage of with FCP does not yield me this update as well, versus wishing I had waited.

--Half Glass

================================
MacPro 2.66 on the way!

ipoddin
Aug 22, 2006, 05:41 PM
Maybe some Mac Mini updates next month? Would love to see that as I'm considering buying one. I'd love a mid-range tower announcement, but not holding my breath.

Multimedia
Aug 22, 2006, 06:15 PM
I agree with you. I can totally understand why Apple holds an expo in Paris. Jean Gassee (or however it's spelled) came over from Apple Paris to head some major projects for Apple back in the day. He then went on to create the Be OS which was being considered for purchase by Apple, but got beat out by NeXT...and Steve Jobs. Apple is very smart to give the French Mac-loyalists what they deserve. However, I believe Steve Jobs is protesting because he does not like the way the French government is treating his baby...the iTunes Music Store.
FYI Apple isn't producing the show and never did. It's produced by Reed Expositions a private show producer. I doubt Steve is protesting anything. Apple sells a lot of Macs in France. You are making a big deal out of nothing.

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 22, 2006, 07:22 PM
Aperture?

Apple-branded digital cameras?

An iPod that can take photos and shoot video?

Who the heck knows? That's why we read MacRumors!
I very much doubt the introduction of an Apple branded camera. Apple just doesnt have any expertise in optics.

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 22, 2006, 07:32 PM
Aperture. I was talking to a professional photographer last week who moaned that he'd gone along to a Canon presentation, and half the time was Apple peddling their software. Apple are pushing to photographers in a big way.
Is Apperture 2.0 really worth a separate presentation?

~Shard~
Aug 22, 2006, 09:01 PM
Is Apperture 2.0 really worth a separate presentation?

Depends how good it is I guess... ;)

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 23, 2006, 04:08 AM
Depends how good it is I guess... ;)
I might be talking out of my ass here, but doesnt it take longer than a couple of months to write a killer app like that?
When Aperture 1.1 hit was released earlier this year and Apple announced a serious pricedrop it was rumored that Apple was about to discontinue Apperture. Can it really be that Apple in 6 months or so since the last release has made such increments that it really call for a presentation at Photokina of all places??
That strike me as highly unlikely, considering Aperture in the first place was very limited compared with e.g. PS.

My best guess is that Apple is about to release something else... but I don't have the slightest clue what that could be.:confused:
Whatever it is, it has to be big to make a splash at Photokina since many big releases are expected there. The biggest of the all would be Leica M8 digital.

mi5moav
Aug 23, 2006, 06:56 AM
I don't know why they are saying this is Apple's first time at Photokina? When we were there about 10 years ago Apple had a booth and all, I really doubt they will just be pedaling ipods and camera connectors or Aperature.

~Shard~
Aug 23, 2006, 07:46 AM
I might be talking out of my ass here, but doesnt it take longer than a couple of months to write a killer app like that?
When Aperture 1.1 hit was released earlier this year and Apple announced a serious pricedrop it was rumored that Apple was about to discontinue Apperture. Can it really be that Apple in 6 months or so since the last release has made such increments that it really call for a presentation at Photokina of all places??
That strike me as highly unlikely, considering Aperture in the first place was very limited compared with e.g. PS.

My best guess is that Apple is about to release something else... but I don't have the slightest clue what that could be.:confused:
Whatever it is, it has to be big to make a splash at Photokina since many big releases are expected there. The biggest of the all would be Leica M8 digital.

That's a very good point - it will be interesting to see what Apple does with Aperture, considering the above. I'd say another possibility would be the release of new cinema displays, but again, due to the size and magnitude of this show, Apple better have something more than that up their sleeve.

Evangelion
Aug 23, 2006, 08:23 AM

Key is to lear at least a bit of the host-country language. It tells them that you are least trying to communicate with them using their language. But if you just barge in shouting English, they might not treat you as well. All it takes is just few phrases.

I don't know any French, but when I visited Paris last year, I learned few key-phrases and words. it can make a world of difference if you greet others with their native language, broken or not.

whatever
Aug 23, 2006, 10:42 AM
Expect fewer and fewer Keynotes for anyone at Apple and an increase of special events.

In the last couple of years Apple has managed to re-capture the general public eye, to the point that when they release a new product the most news outlets will cover it. They're able to touch many more customers through alternative means (Apple Stores, commericials, e-mail newsletters, etc) that pulling out the dog and pony show for every expo is no longer necessary.

Sure we all love watching Steve's Keynote, but it's no longer necessary for him to go to Paris to do one.

Hell, Apple has even pulled out of the 2nd largest Apple expo, Mac World, last year and this year the show wasn't even held (as far as I know). And guess what, Apple's revenue still increased!

Event's such as WWDC will continue since they're a developers conference and Mac Expo, but beyond, expect the big keynotes at Apple specific expos to go away.

mi5moav
Aug 24, 2006, 11:03 AM
More digital video cameras dropped from Apple Store!!! Weehooo. Two years ago Apple had nearly 28 video cameras from Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Sharp and more. I think they only have 5 now in there store. Why? and Why do they only sell Canon and Nikon products? Something is going on what kind of agreement do they have with these guys???? does this mean that a new video camera is coming? Please tell me 15 reasons why Apple should not release a digital HD video Camera.

They have already shipped over 1 million cameras last year(though they have been atached to imacs, macbooks, and isights)