Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Senator Stevens became famous for (among other things) his description of the Internet as "a series of tubes." This is apparently an attempt at humor in pretending that this is Stevens' personal homepage...designed based on his level of understanding of the Internet. An incredibly lame attempt, but an attempt at humor nonetheless.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Thanks for the link WildCowboy. My favorite quote from John Stewart is this one:

"Maybe it's because you don't seem to know jack ***** about computers or the Internet, but that's okay—you're just the guy in charge of regulating it."

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think it's hilarious - because of all the various bad web design "techniques" which were used (intentionally).

Maybe it's just because I'm short on sleep, but I liked it (but not knowing the reason why that particular Senator was parodied would make it much less funny).

halVORTEX

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2005
alaska REPRESENT
After that little segment was run on tv the local papers looked into our senator's knowledge of the internet and it turns out that he does actually know a great deal about it. That comment was something that was spur of the moment, you can tell by listening to it. If he had more time im sure he would have worded it much better.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Funniest thing I've seen in a while. I literally laughed out loud (LOL). I have always been a sucker for this kind of humor. lol (laughing out loud). ;)

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
what a waste of tube space!

my internets are being delayed because of this guy- how can I get my internets from my staff that they sent last friday at 930, and i got them yesterday when he clogs up the tubes!

he has no comprehension of the enormous amounts of material...enormous amounts of material he's putting through the tubes! Its not just something that you can just dump something on, its not a big truck! :rolleyes:

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Ted Stevens said:
The Internet is not a houseboat. It is not a paperweight. It is not a ham sandwich.
HAHA, I love the hillarity of the whole site. Maybe I just like that kind of senseless humor.

IF THE TUBES
ARE CLOGGED,
PLEASE WAIT

:D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
zimv20 said:
if you go to their team page and scroll down to the photo of their chicago headquarters -- i used to live around the corner from such a place, and i think it might be that one.

Lots of very funny stuff on this site. Did you read the bio for Laura Lynn Hardy? Apparently, she is a floor lamp.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Kida funny in a really sad sad way.

...and when they asked for the pipes to be cleared of content I say NO. NO! NO! NO! NO! I will not take my content off the pipes! NO!

[from one of his earlier rants]

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
someguy said:
Why doesn't anyone straighten this guy out? :confused:
stevens, you mean? the only people he listens to, apparently, are telecom lobbyists. and they've got his head so full of their spin, it's no wonder all he can do is babble about tubes.

he and fred upton (R-Mich), another industry-owned telecom wonk, would change the internet profoundly if they get their way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.