PDA

View Full Version : My Beige G3 Just Died!

jethroted
Mar 20, 2003, 12:33 PM
My beige G3 just died. :( It had a great life of working on graphics stuff. We had some sort of power outage/surge, and it won't come back from the light. I had a surge protector, but I guess this is a good reason not to trust a cheap $10 surge protector. Let this be a lesson to us all.

applemacdude
Mar 20, 2003, 01:13 PM
any parts you want to sell?

jethroted
Mar 20, 2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
any parts you want to sell?

Everything but the HD is up for grabs I guess. There isn't much though. It only had 128 megs of ram, and that was split into 2x32gigs & 1x64gig. Built in video, so no deal there. Crappy standard audio that came with the machine. The floppy is missing, and the cd rom drive is a mismatch. Now that I think about it, there is nothing here really. This is a piece of junk.

Eniregnat
Mar 20, 2003, 01:22 PM
Damn vultures are already landing.
My condones. :( I understand what its like to loose a trusted friend/computer.

My parents just lost their computer the same way.
They also lost a TV and some appliances.
All of them were on surge protectors, most of them inexpensive ones. Lesson learned.
It might be worth fixing the power supply to get the data off.
The local power company said the spike was caused by 2 seagulls fighting over a fish.

Good luck salvaging data and parting out your old buddy.

jefhatfield
Mar 20, 2003, 01:45 PM
sorry to hear about your mac

i am a computer tech...and i was just wondering, was that a ten dollar power strip?...as opposed to a surge protector (i have never seen a ten dollar surge protector rated for a computer)

under the unit, it should give you a joule rating if it is indeed a surge protector and 300-360 joules is recommended for the protection of a computer

of course, some surge protectors give more protection, and some, if not many surge protectors, are just plain overkill with thousands of joules of protection

but have serveral hundred joules in a surge protector at the min. to protect your computer

again, sorry to hear about your mishap

jethroted
Mar 20, 2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
sorry to hear about your mac

i am a computer tech...and i was just wondering, was that a ten dollar power strip?...as opposed to a surge protector (i have never seen a ten dollar surge protector rated for a computer)

under the unit, it should give you a joule rating if it is indeed a surge protector and 300-360 joules is recommended for the protection of a computer

of course, some surge protectors give more protection, and some, if not many surge protectors, are just plain overkill with thousands of joules of protection

but have serveral hundred joules in a surge protector at the min. to protect your computer

again, sorry to hear about your mishap

It says that it is a "surge suppressor" on the top of it, but it says nothing about joules on the bottom. I don't know if it really only costed $10, but it sure looks like a cheap piece of crap.

jethroted
Mar 20, 2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Eniregnat
Damn vultures are already landing.
My condones. :( I understand what its like to loose a trusted friend/computer.

My parents just lost their computer the same way.
They also lost a TV and some appliances.
All of them were on surge protectors, most of them inexpensive ones. Lesson learned.
It might be worth fixing the power supply to get the data off.
The local power company said the spike was caused by 2 seagulls fighting over a fish.

Good luck salvaging data and parting out your old buddy.

It's just a computer I use at work. At least it's not my Flat panel imac at home!

jefhatfield
Mar 20, 2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
It says that it is a "surge suppressor" on the top of it, but it says nothing about joules on the bottom. I don't know if it really only costed $10, but it sure looks like a cheap piece of crap.

did the box say that on it?

what matters is if there is some sort of printing, engraving, or writing under the unit the explains it...at least a UL or VAC number

if it has no writing, then it is not standard/legal and definitely not a surge protector of any kind

jefhatfield
Mar 20, 2003, 02:06 PM
also it needs to be three pronged protector unit going into a three pronged outlet or a two pronged outlet with an adapter with a ground wire or plate on it connected to the screw which holds in the plug plate on the wall

but definitely contact an electrician on this one if you are not sure what is going on

Stelliform
Mar 20, 2003, 02:25 PM
Could it just be the powersupply? ....

Mabey you could find one on the net? (If you want to save your G3.. . Sounds like it was on its last leg anyway.)

Moxiemike
Mar 20, 2003, 02:47 PM
jethroted,

if you're looking for a replacement, i might have one for you-- tricked out beige g3 tower would allow you guys to use a lot of parts from your current one as potential replacement parts.

I Pm'd you with specs. lemme know.

m

jethroted
Mar 20, 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Stelliform
Could it just be the powersupply? In the PC world (I know GASP) the powersupplies are easy to change out. (And frequently die while in surge protectors during power fluctuations.) ( I have changed out around 5 this year. I am a PC Tech.. :))

Mabey you could find one on the net? (If you want to save your G3.. . Sounds like it was on its last leg anyway.)

No, it turns on, but I get nothing but a blank white screen. No mouse, splash screen ect...

jethroted
Mar 20, 2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
jethroted,

if you're looking for a replacement, i might have one for you-- tricked out beige g3 tower would allow you guys to use a lot of parts from your current one as potential replacement parts.

I Pm'd you with specs. lemme know.

m

Thanks, but I think my work will just get me a new basic tower, or an emac. Depends on what kind of cash they want to throw around. I was getting frustrated with the G3 anyway.

meateater
Mar 20, 2003, 07:07 PM
if you want total protection, get a ups with at least 500to550va. i had a fire in one of my stores which caused a huge short and sent hundred of volts thru the computer power line!!!! the ups completely melted down, but not one volt went to the computer. that $50 investment saved a $2000 computer and $1000 monitor. i went right out after that and bought one for my home!!!!!

barkmonster
Mar 20, 2003, 07:17 PM
Mine has had so many problems, I wish I'd gone for an early B & W G3 instead of a supposedly 'end of line' Beige G3.

It's got a 512K L2 instead of the 1Mb L2 the UK spec models had.

The graphics card was only a RageII+ instead of RagePro (extra for VRAM was a waste).

It only takes 3 x 128Mb.

No slave support for adding extra hard drives.

The Wisper card has packed up even though the audio inputs still show up and I get a start up chime, I can't output through the internal audio anymore.

1 set of power leads inside the case have starting behaving strangely and it's pot luck if my second hard drive shows up on a cold boot without either 1 partition instead of both showing up or being presented a model dialog asking me if I want to format it.

The stock, 6gb hard drive failed, I had to reformat it, zeroing every track/sector before I could be sure it would be safe to use.

The mouse button failed within 9 months and I had to pay WAY over the odds for an apple branded ADB mouse as a replacement because the cost of a USB card and mouse was even more expensive at the time.

The CD Rom packed up within 2 years, I have my external CD writer to fall back on but I'm adding a SCSI CD Rom to replace the broken internal drive soon.

I'm looking at getting a more recent, gigabit ethernet or digital audio G4 as a replacement sometime this year when I've got some cash.

spuncan
Mar 20, 2003, 07:29 PM
hey all, srry to hear about ur G3 jethroted. Just wondering who all still uses a Rev. A G3 233 as a main computer. Right now Im runnin 10.2 on this and still love it. Thankfully we recently got a decent amount of money and we will finally be upgrading when ever the 970 goes into use.

jefhatfield
Mar 20, 2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by barkmonster
Mine has had so many problems, I wish I'd gone for an early B & W G3 instead of a supposedly 'end of line' Beige G3.

the b and w ones had more problems

...well thank god for the g4 towers apple puts out now

i wonder if and when 970 towers will be here

gotohamish
Mar 21, 2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by jethroted
No, it turns on, but I get nothing but a blank white screen. No mouse, splash screen ect...

The same happened to me with our Begie G3 333 Tower, tried everything, then I reset the PRAM and everything was great. Never crashed since!

Hold down APPLE + P + R at startup and continue to hold until you hear the second startup chime

jethroted
Mar 21, 2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by gotohamish
The same happened to me with our Begie G3 333 Tower, tried everything, then I reset the PRAM and everything was great. Never crashed since!

Hold down APPLE + P + R at startup and continue to hold until you hear the second startup chime

I tried that, it didn't work.

zac4mac
Mar 23, 2003, 11:27 AM
PRAM reset is com-opt-p-r. Gotta hit all 4 keys at startup, wait for 2-3 startup chimes and release. Alternative(more aggressive) is to power down, remove the PRAM battery, unplug for 20 minutes from the Mains and then hold down the CUDA switch for 10-20 seconds.
Good luck

Z

liven2
Mar 23, 2003, 11:51 AM
This happened to me one time and I thought my machine was a gonner .. BUT!!!!! All yo umight need to do is remove the ROM battery (do you know what this is??). Pull it out for about 2 or 3 min then put it back in. your machine should boot!.. If not try taking it out or buying a new one...
Good luck this worked for me!!!! :)

I also emailed this to you but not sure if you will get it so here is anther post.. :)

jethroted
Mar 23, 2003, 12:05 PM
I have done all of these things, but none of them have worked. Thanks for your input guys.