PDA

View Full Version : Just got myself a new Mini...




climhazzard85
Aug 19, 2006, 01:07 PM
So I sold my iMac G5 iSight and got a Duo Core mini...not exactly an upgrade in itself, but the 20" ADC sure is :D.

Anyway, when I bought it yesturday I did not have time to have them install extra memory, so I call them up today and the guy tells me it is $200 for a 1 gig upgrade. Does this sound right to you? I know on apple.com you can customize the mini, upgrading to 1 gig costs $100 which is much more reasonable. I'm not looking to drop another $200 for 512 megs more, it seems ridiculous to me. Is this what other mini owners have paid or was I misquoted? Thanks

-Evan



kered22
Aug 19, 2006, 03:11 PM
I think that's about right (the price of the RAM depends on which manufacturer). The reason for the price (with all the current CoreDuo systems) is that RAM has to be installed in pairs (called interleaving) for best performance. So the 512 MB in there currently is 2 256MB DIMMs. The 1 GB upgrade will be 2 512 MB DIMMs. I believe some people have tried putting unmatched pairs in (a 512 MB DIMM with a 256 MB DIMM for example) and there weren't any complications but the amount of video memory (shared with the main memory) was being incorrectly reported.

timswim78
Aug 19, 2006, 03:40 PM
So I sold my iMac G5 iSight and got a Duo Core mini...not exactly an upgrade in itself, but the 20" ADC sure is :D.

Anyway, when I bought it yesturday I did not have time to have them install extra memory, so I call them up today and the guy tells me it is $200 for a 1 gig upgrade. Does this sound right to you? I know on apple.com you can customize the mini, upgrading to 1 gig costs $100 which is much more reasonable. I'm not looking to drop another $200 for 512 megs more, it seems ridiculous to me. Is this what other mini owners have paid or was I misquoted? Thanks

-Evan

$200 for 1 gig is very high. You can get 2GB of Crucial for $235 or 2GB of Mushkin for $175 at Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010170381+1052910525+1309121117&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=381

mrgreen4242
Aug 29, 2006, 11:42 AM
Looks like as good a place as any to post this query... if one were to buy a stock Mini (Core Duo) and didn't want to drop $200 on a 2gb upgrade right away, but also didn't want to have just 512mb, but ALSO didn't want to be limited to only 1gb without having to replace all the RAM again... would it work alrught to get 1x1gb stick (~$80) replace one of the 256mb modules, and then in 6 months or so drop in another, matching, 1gb stick for the full 2gb?

I assume that it would work fine with the 1.25gb configuration, you just would take a hit on not having the matched pair... the question is will putting in another 1gb module later on, assuming it's the same brand, capacity, speed, etc, "match up" properly for the dual channel memory speed increase?

kered22
Aug 29, 2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah that should work fine, as I said the amount of video memory may be incorrectly reported, but other than that it'll be fine. :) BTW, thinksecrets saying there is a speedbump coming. Core Solo model will be eliminated, the 1.66 Core Duo will become the new low end with the 1.83 Duo becoming the new high end. So depending on your needs, you may want to wait for those.

mrgreen4242
Aug 29, 2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah that should work fine, as I said the amount of video memory may be incorrectly reported, but other than that it'll be fine. :) BTW, thinksecrets saying there is a speedbump coming. Core Solo model will be eliminated, the 1.66 Core Duo will become the new low end with the 1.83 Duo becoming the new high end. So depending on your needs, you may want to wait for those.

Ya, saw that on the home page... if I can score the current Core Duo model for $599 (either via refurb or a price drop to the lower level) I'll probably upgrade from my PPC model... Otherwise I'll hold out for the x3000 equipped mini's.

I won't have the required cash to do a full 2gb upgrade if I get a new machine, though, but I wouldn't want to step DOWN to 512mb from what I have now, so my described path seemed like the best option (and I'm sure as hell not going to drop $300 on an Apple upgrade :p).