PDA

View Full Version : woohoo! finally after three years...

janey
Mar 20, 2003, 05:57 PM
...our school got a grant to get more computers-and chose to buy from Apple!
Today, the *(&)@ principal interrupted a whole bunch of classes to tell the teachers to all come and watch a presentation by "Apple Corporation" because they got a grant to buy new computers and they wanted all the teachers to pick the computer they want.
After spending 10 minutes convincing my teacher that she should let me come, I went, watched some of it (keynote!) and talked with the Apple dude who was really cool and my teachers couldn't decide so i helped them with the help of an AluBook, my cellphone and iPod...they loved how i could do so many things with three things ;) :) :D :p
our name is portola middle school and we switched to (more than one) a mac.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 20, 2003, 09:51 PM
Ha, that's pretty damn cool - what sort of machines are they going to be getting? Is it going to be one machine for each teacher, or is there going to be a computer lab with a bunch of machines for all the student's to use as well?

D

janey
Mar 20, 2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Ha, that's pretty damn cool - what sort of machines are they going to be getting? Is it going to be one machine for each teacher, or is there going to be a computer lab with a bunch of machines for all the student's to use as well?
Some of the teachers have old graphite or blueberry iMacs and there's a computer lab full of graphite iMacs so first i'm assuming the old Macs will be replaced with either newer eMacs, FP iMacs or Power Macs depending on what they're gonna do with them. then the teachers are getting them and most of my teachers (after listening to me bitching about how "bad" the FP iMacs were) are probably getting Power Macs. :)
Minimum of one computer for each class, so i guess that's a gigantic amount of macs :p

voicegy
Mar 20, 2003, 10:46 PM
Was the grant your school recieved the School Renovation Technology grant? 22 schools in my district recieved monies from this grant for the purpose of lowering the student to multimedia computer ratio in grades 4-8 classrooms. One of the schools recieved $208,000.00! This grant is HUGE and is a big win for Apple, as they are one of only two computer companies that we now do business with. (IBM being the other).

As the Information Technology rep, I'm going to that particular school (the 200 grand one) tomorrow morning with the Apple rep to talk to the schools' Technology Committee. Grant cycles are always fun, and a major source of funding for computer purchases...these types of monies are sometimes just about the only way technology purchases can ever be made, especially these days!

Fun, fun, fun for you übergeek...and thanks for helping the cause by being the perfect Apple salesperson!

MrMacMan
Mar 20, 2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
Some of the teachers have old graphite or blueberry iMacs and there's a computer lab full of graphite iMacs so first i'm assuming the old Macs will be replaced with either newer eMacs, FP iMacs or Power Macs depending on what they're gonna do with them. then the teachers are getting them and most of my teachers (after listening to me bitching about how "bad" the FP iMacs were) are probably getting Power Macs. :)
Minimum of one computer for each class, so i guess that's a gigantic amount of macs :p

I did JUST NOT HERE YOU DISSING MY 17" FP iMAC! ;)

That is gonna be really nice, since you had a part in the discussion. My school dist is pretty rich so maybe soon I'll talk to them about Os X and replacing there old 'flavored' imacs.
First thing I do when I get my hands on them is test ém and (shameless team promo) put folding on of coarse.

Nah I would help the techies install them, they know nothing at my school.
Whats this windows error message 'you've been hacked the schools computers will all simontaously crash in 3 minutes, you can't stop it' They look at it for 2 minutes and try clicking the fake 'ok' box but all that comes up it 'ITS NOT OK YOU MORONS YOUR COMPUTERS ARE GONE!' The person got half of them to crash amasingly enough. :eek:

I would never allow that to happen to a mac computer lab however. Besides I personally deleted foolproof from the Os 9 labs... I mean I made them more accessible.

voicegy
Mar 20, 2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
My school dist is pretty rich so maybe soon I'll talk to them about Os X and replacing there old 'flavored' imacs. First thing I do when I get my hands on them is test ém and (shameless team promo) put folding on of coarse.

I would never allow [this windows error message 'you've been hacked the schools computers will all simontaously crash in 3 minutes] that to happen to a mac computer lab however. Besides I personally deleted foolproof from the Os 9 labs... I mean I made them more accessible.

Glad you're not working at MY school district.:rolleyes:

alset
Mar 20, 2003, 11:15 PM
It's nice to hear about large purchases in education. Get 'em hooked while they're young!

As for higher education, my school just added new MDD's to our FCP suites. It's only six or seven new machines, but every single Mac puts us closer to world domination. We get a few converts with our heavy Mac scene, there.

Dan

onetime
Mar 21, 2003, 12:16 AM
:( This hurts.. I'm happy your school is getting into some new Macs, but my school won't spend a few hundred to upgrade from 256mb RAM. It's such a pain defending Macs that can only open one or two applications at a time, not to mention OS 9! O well, better slow Mac than no Mac. I'd have dropped out by now if my only choice was windows. They just 'gave' us XP on the computers at work. Upgrading is supposed to be fun and improving! What a mess. That's actually a good thing though. Maybe they'll come to their senses. Ha!

ibookin'
Mar 21, 2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by voicegy
Glad you're not working at MY school district.:rolleyes:

I agree with him on the Foolproof thing. Foolproof sucks. Big time. A few years back I hacked the Windows version when I was about 10...

It's much better to set labs and individual Macs up with guest accounts. Students can log into one account and get limited access (can't change settings, install programs, we can control what apps they can use). Works like a charm at the HS I work for. We have a network of about 500 computers (most are Macs).

We also have a Win2K domain server running for our PCs. Every student has an account on the PCs with a home directory for their files that also works on the Macs, an email address provided by us, and a small allotment of web space.

I hope the people doing übers school take the time to build a good system.

To the "FP iMacs suck" thing: They don't suck. I am using one now and it's plenty fast with 512MB ram. The looks are unbeatable, too. Plus there's the "wow" factor... :D

janey
Mar 21, 2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by onetime
:( This hurts.. I'm happy your school is getting into some new Macs, but my school won't spend a few hundred to upgrade from 256mb RAM. It's such a pain defending Macs that can only open one or two applications at a time, not to mention OS 9! O well, better slow Mac than no Mac.
we're getting a lot of new macs...must be pretty pricey :eek:
we're hoping to get some decent ones that can run the standard programs everyone needs-Office and Internet Explorer (hopefully Safari instead :) )
our comp teachers are really stupid and now that our school is switching it's great because i hope ther get fired because they don't know anything. It's about tine we get some teachers who do know something ;) they're pro bill gates, pro windows anti mac anyway.
It took me three years to get the principal to get the macs!

note to mrmacman: i did not diss your iMac ;) i was just saying that i would rather make the school get as many power macs as possible because that's better for Apple. We had outdated iMacs and Dells so far and now all Macs...*drool*

janey
Mar 21, 2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
I hope the people doing übers school take the time to build a good system.
Basically the computer teachers and whoever they can find from the crappiest school district in the nation.
And me :) i was the one who suggested that we get macs and i will not leave that school until every single mac is up and running. :D
joshie i think that the iMacs are nothing compared to a Power Mac. :rolleyes: :) ;) :p

ibookin'
Mar 21, 2003, 12:31 AM
Basically the computer teachers and whoever they can find from the crappiest school district in the nation.
joshie i think that the iMacs are nothing compared to a Power Mac. :rolleyes: :) ;) :p

The school I work for is in the same district, Jane... LAUSD for anyone who didn't know. We're the "lets build a $1/4 billion school on a toxic waste dump" district.

I like my iMac, even though its not as good as a PowerMac... Waiting for the 970 to buy a PMac...

Doctor Q
Mar 21, 2003, 12:33 AM
Great news, Ms. über. The middle school where I volunteer was one of the "lucky winners" of the school renovation technology grant. The decisions about hardware have yet to be made, since they are still in the red tape phase (getting forms filled out and paperwork to and from the right people).

janey
Mar 21, 2003, 12:43 AM
The school I work for is in the same district, Jane... LAUSD for anyone who didn't know. We're the "lets build a $1/4 billion school on a toxic waste dump" district.
i've heard everything but that...LOL!

okay on a lighter note (well not really) i took a look at our school's technology plan (http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Portola_MS) and here is what it says
All new computers purchased should meet these minimum specifications:
PCs:_Intel Pentium 400, 3 Gb HD, 64 Mb RAM, Super VGA Monitor, Video and sound built in, 16 bit sound card, 4Mb Video RAM, 24x CD ROM, Ethernet card 10/100Base t, Latest OS, MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Netscape Navigator, Claris Works

Macintosh:_iMac or G4, 3 Gb HD, 64 Mb RAM, 24x CD ROM, Ethernet card 10/100Base t, Latest OS, MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Netscape Navigator, Claris Works
Uhh yeah do they even know the minumum system requirements of Jaguar and Windows XP...didn't think so :eek: :) :p
automatically that RAM should be upped to 128mb (256mb recommended), pentium 4 2ghz, 10gb hard drive, DVD/CD-RW combo drive, you get the point...:p *puke*
oh and they also talk about networking trobles between 20+ buildings, 70+ classrooms...WHAT'S WRONG WITH WIRELESS?!

ibookin'
Mar 21, 2003, 12:47 AM
(http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Portola_MS)

Our website is better. http://www.erhs.la

:D

janey
Mar 21, 2003, 12:49 AM
Our website is better. http://www.erhs.la
i so wanted to work on our school's website as it sucks a lot but no the computer teachers want their classes to work on it so now i'm stuck hoping that i get to work on the magnet website :)

voicegy
Mar 21, 2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
[...]The middle school where I volunteer was one of the "lucky winners" of the school renovation technology grant. The decisions about hardware have yet to be made, since they are still in the red tape phase (getting forms filled out and paperwork to and from the right people).

Just know that the lowest cost (crt) iMac does NOT comply with that particular grant. It may be attractive because of the cost, but this grant requires machines more than CD-ROM capable.

janey
Mar 21, 2003, 09:22 PM
bad news for me...
i told the computer teachers about the PPC 970 and Panther today.
Yikes...will probably not get to see any macs on campus until next year...

scem0
Mar 21, 2003, 10:35 PM
but when you do see them, they will be hella fast ;).

Doctor Q
Mar 21, 2003, 11:41 PM
i took a look at our school's technology planI remember reading your technology plan. I think it was written a few years ago so it is not surprising that it doesn't reflect the state of the art. You can tell that it's old from sentences like "During the 1999/2000 school year, each staff member will...". If the 1999/2000 school year was in the future, the plan was probably written around 4 years ago.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH WIRELESS?!It may cost more or it may not be as reliable. Or it may be ideal. We evaluated wireless choices a few years ago. One infrared networking vendor tried to sell us a system that cost way over our budget, and he told us that teachers would have to leave their classroom doors open all the time instead of closing them as they preferred to do. Needless to say, he didn't make the sale.

These days there are more reasonable networking choices and some planners in the LAUSD ITD (Information Technology Division) do understand them. I hope Portola gets a chance to consider all the choices.

ibookin'
Mar 22, 2003, 01:50 AM
These days there are more reasonable networking choices and some planners in the LAUSD ITD (Information Technology Division) do understand them. I hope Portola gets a chance to consider all the choices.

At our school we have a fiber backbone similar to the one in Portola's technology plan. One of the problems with doing wireless or copper in larger schools is the distance. Wireless would be possible with a large antenna, but there are security (we sometimes transfer confidential data over our network) and reliability issues. Therefore, the only solution is to do fiber running from the MDF to the IDFs, then run copper to the classrooms. There are LDFs in places like labs, but we have it set up so most drops are within 50ft (wire distance) of their respective IDFs.

Networking schools can present even more challenges than networking offices...

janey
Mar 22, 2003, 01:58 AM
I remember reading your technology plan. I think it was written a few years ago so it is not surprising that it doesn't reflect the state of the art...We evaluated wireless choices a few years ago...These days there are more reasonable networking choices and some planners in the LAUSD ITD (Information Technology Division) do understand them. I hope Portola gets a chance to consider all the choices.
i know i remember reading the technology plan in 6th grade. There's nothing wrong with wireless! perhaps you could have some wireless network for students to use. my formet history teacher did not like the fact that he couldn't use his airport card in school.
SOME PLANNERS?! MORE REASONABLE NETWORKING CHOICES?! ARE YOU KIDDING?!
portola is so old fashioned. :rolleyes:

StealthRider
Mar 24, 2003, 03:12 PM
lucky people. my school has Macs, but the newest is a graphite iMac DV SE, and the network has a bunch of 1 Mbps networking PowerMac 5400's gumming up the works, so the network is dog slow, AND I'm a year behind the grant money, so when all the fifth, sixth, and seventh graders have iBooks, the eighth graders have nothing, AND our high school, which I go to next year, has PeeCees, AND finally, we won't switch to OS X because of the 5400's which can't run it. *passes out*

Doctor Q
Mar 24, 2003, 05:17 PM
Schools that get some new machines each year have the maintenance headaches of keeping varied equipment functioning, having to know the specs and capabilities of each year's equipment, keeping differing models working together, etc. But there is one advantage often overlooked: If you replace all equipment schoolwide with state of the art models, at a single point in time, then it all becomes obsolete at the same time in the future. The steady state model is harder to manage, but at least it requires a relatively constant amount of funding year to year, rather than a huge occasional amount that may be harder to obtain.

Of course, the best solution is to have infinite funding and replace all equipment with state of the art machines every year!

Steradian
Mar 24, 2003, 06:31 PM
oh and they also talk about networking trobles between 20+ buildings, 70+ classrooms...WHAT'S WRONG WITH WIRELESS?!
Ha, it's a little hard than that, you know. I am the T.A for the Networking/ IT guy at my school and we have been working for the last 3 months trying to get the school wireless, it's no easy task my fine über friend. Our orginal plan was to have 2 Airports in each wing, (our school is small no biggy, we have 1200- students) but we decided to abandon that idea after disrupting a few classes and pissing of a few teachers :D. Currently we attempting to set up three airports with massive extend antenas, (we need it our school is the second oldest(?) in the state and has a lot of old steel+brick in it's walls) anyways the extent of our school will be covered very shortly, but it was a costly endevor. Apple had a "special deal" on airports before MacWorld, and because our school was having allof it's funds frozen we bought them as quick as we could and got shafted after MWSF... Anyways it's great that your District/school has some money, I know that currently ALL schools in california would love to be in your position.
:D Great Job übergeek

janey
Mar 24, 2003, 06:32 PM
the teachers all said they wanted eMacs. Our school is getting eMacs. With no combo drive. I HATE THIS!!! :mad: :mad:
on the other hand i got four more people to switch :D

MacFan25
Mar 25, 2003, 05:41 PM
I wish my school would buy more Macs, but they I doubt they will. Right now, all the teachers are getting new Dells. :(

But, we still have some CRT iMacs, and some older macs. That's better than not having any macs. :)

scem0
Mar 26, 2003, 09:54 PM
eMacs suck. THey are going to discourage PC users from buying
macs. THey sure would discourage me.

Encourage your school too fill 'em up with RAM, b/c eMacs are
slow enough as is.

janey
Mar 26, 2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by scem0
eMacs suck. THey are going to discourage PC users from buying
macs. THey sure would discourage me.

Encourage your school too fill 'em up with RAM, b/c eMacs are
slow enough as is.
they're getting the cheapest eMacs...and they have like 440 grand to spend on computers...
:rolleyes: converting another generation of computer users against apple :(

ibookin'
Mar 26, 2003, 11:10 PM
they're getting the cheapest eMacs...and they have like 440 grand to spend on computers...
:rolleyes: converting another generation of computer users against apple :(

That buys 400 eMacs not counting networking, installation, etc.

I don't like eMac either, but I think that they're acceptable computers for people who want power without too much expense. They're also a good choice for schools because they are supposed to be more durable than the FP iMacs (though in practice this may not be true due to eMac screen issues).

They could do better with the money... How many classrooms does Portola have, anyway? I say a couple machines per room except in rooms that need more (science labs, etc.), at least two computer labs that can easily accomadate one full class each. Servers for administration and storage and people to administer them (and machines for those people), networking components (school probably already has the network). A web and mail server would be nice, too. And it would be great if this were all Mac... :D

janey
Mar 26, 2003, 11:16 PM
They could do better with the money... How many classrooms does Portola have, anyway? I say a couple machines per room except in rooms that need more (science labs, etc.), at least two computer labs that can easily accomadate one full class each. Servers for administration and storage and people to administer them (and machines for those people), networking components (school probably already has the network). A web and mail server would be nice, too. And it would be great if this were all Mac... :D
i think somewhere around 50-100 classrooms
my science teacher is getting four new computers.
oh and get this...our school's buying from IBM as well :( :mad:

NavyIntel007
Mar 26, 2003, 11:23 PM
Why is everyone hating on the eMac? I mean sure they aren't powermacs but come on. At University of Miami all you see is freakin dells. To see an eMac would be very refreshing, and maybe I'd check my mail at school.

scem0
Mar 26, 2003, 11:56 PM
yes an eMac is better than a PC, but the just seem slower than
other macs with chips running at the same frequencies. We have
about 5 new powermacs at my school used in the image editing
class, and a mobile cart of wireless iBooks. And then a whole
lot of PC's :(.

;)

yzedf
Mar 27, 2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
I wish my school would buy more Macs, but they I doubt they will. Right now, all the teachers are getting new Dells. :(

But, we still have some CRT iMacs, and some older macs. That's better than not having any macs. :)
Teachers don't make much money. Teachers need a computer at home. Teachers end up buying the best priced machine on the market. Apple is not the best priced, but nearly the worst priced.

Dell Dimension 2350 - $688

Celeron 1.8GHz
256MB DDR RAM
30GB UATA 100 hdd 7200rpm
3.5" floppy
16x DVD-ROM drive
48x/24x/48x CD-RW drive
Dell keyboard & 2 button scroll mouse
17" CRT
Harman Kardon® HK-206 Speakers
56K modem & 10/100 ethernet
6 mo. free AOL or EarthLink
Windows XP Home Edition
WordPerfect® Productivity Pack with Quicken New User Edition

Ship date of 4/2/2003

That is a baseline config without a single add-on or upgrade. That is what a teacher can afford to buy (maybe) when they only make $26,000 per year.

It costs almost 53% more to get a eMac with 256MB SDRAM (add-on), 700MHz G4, and 40GB hdd.

Either system will be usable for a very long time. My company still uses some PII 300's for day to day stuff, running win98 and MS Office 2000. The latest and greatest is not required, obviously. It's just that you can't buy a new desktop for under $999 from Apple.

</rant>

Doctor Q
Mar 27, 2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
It costs almost 53% more to get a eMac with 256MB SDRAM (add-on), 700MHz G4, and 40GB hdd.Nitpick: At Apple's K-12 educator prices, my calculator says it costs 49% more if you get the Combo drive and only 42% more if you settle for the CD-RW drive.

However, your point is well made and I second your rant - many teachers can't afford the "luxury" of a bottom-of-the-line Mac (especially if they compare hardware specs and not usability factors). That's a real shame.

I've gotten a few teachers to buy Macs by giving them reassurance that it's a good value, along with advice about which model to buy and some free installation help, but it's an uphill battle.

janey
Mar 29, 2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Why is everyone hating on the eMac? I mean sure they aren't powermacs but come on. At University of Miami all you see is freakin dells. To see an eMac would be very refreshing, and maybe I'd check my mail at school.
everyone hates the eMac because everyone has problems with the eMacs :rolleyes:

voicegy
Mar 29, 2003, 11:40 AM
Look for some eMac revisions around summertime. :)

janey
Mar 29, 2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by voicegy
Look for some eMac revisions around summertime. :)
not to mention the PPC 970 and Panther...:rolleyes:
None of the administrators at school are listening...they're all interested in getting the computers ASAP not waiting for something a tad better...:(

daniel77
Mar 30, 2003, 12:02 AM
Nitpick: At Apple's K-12 educator prices, my calculator says it costs 49% more if you get the Combo drive and only 42% more if you settle for the CD-RW drive.

However, your point is well made and I second your rant - many teachers can't afford the "luxury" of a bottom-of-the-line Mac (especially if they compare hardware specs and not usability factors). That's a real shame.

I've gotten a few teachers to buy Macs by giving them reassurance that it's a good value, along with advice about which model to buy and some free installation help, but it's an uphill battle.

As the son of a teacher, I completely understand the poor teacher no money for comp POV. My mom is still using a 233 pb g3, while i only have a 700 dell.
btw the pb is *not running OS X ;)

Doctor Q
Apr 4, 2003, 12:41 PM
Hey, über, maybe you should move to Michigan (http://www.lsj.com/news/schools/030403_riddle_4b.html):
Students at Riddle Middle Magnet School received free laptop computers this week through a state grant dedicated to bringing more technology into classrooms. Riddle's 247 students are being supplied with the computers through an $800,000 Learning Without Limits grant.

janey
Apr 4, 2003, 08:24 PM
Hey, über, maybe you should move to Michigan (http://www.lsj.com/news/schools/030403_riddle_4b.html):
lol...i don't need computers my school does...

scem0
Apr 5, 2003, 11:34 PM
It is the exact opposite for me. I need computers... my school doesn't.