PDA

View Full Version : Google Notifier for Mac: Gmail, Gcal alerts

MacBytes
Aug 19, 2006, 08:29 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Google Notifier for Mac: Gmail, Gcal alerts (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060819212919)
Description:: Google has expanded and renamed its Gmail Notifier app so that it includes alerts and reminders from Google Calendar.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

bousozoku
Aug 19, 2006, 08:39 PM
It looks as if it'll be great when it's done.

I like the Google calendar being able to send reminders to my phone as text messages so I'm thinking that this could help me away from iCal or Now Up-to-date quickly...once it works correctly.

mkrishnan
Aug 19, 2006, 08:39 PM
It would be amazing if someone came out with an iSync plugin for GCal....

wyatt23
Aug 19, 2006, 09:50 PM
i personally like the notifcation that the windows version gives us. i have the old notifier, tho, i believe there is a growl add-on that can do that.

also, i love how google releases everything for months in beta. it's easy to be a great software maker when you can blame all the rough edges and errors on the fact that something is a beta.

not hatin' i still love google [#2 to apple of course]

Leondunkleyc
Aug 19, 2006, 11:04 PM

eenu
Aug 20, 2006, 08:26 AM
anyone else having issues with the calendar notifier?

Everytime it wants to check my calendat it asks for the username and password which i give it but it won't accept it!

Result constant pop-ups and my calendar function doesn't work

EDIT:

UPDATE: As Arsen points out in the comments, the new app has some rough edges. The endless loop of authentication requests can be short-circuited by turning the Gcal notifications off. Not ideal. Rather defeats the point of the updated app. No doubt a fix is on the way.

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2006, 11:14 AM
anyone else having issues with the calendar notifier?

Everytime it wants to check my calendat it asks for the username and password which i give it but it won't accept it!

Result constant pop-ups and my calendar function doesn't work

EDIT:

UPDATE: As Arsen points out in the comments, the new app has some rough edges. The endless loop of authentication requests can be short-circuited by turning the Gcal notifications off. Not ideal. Rather defeats the point of the updated app. No doubt a fix is on the way.

I saw 5 or so comments about the endless loop of authentication requests and didn't bother with it.

asim
Aug 20, 2006, 05:55 PM
the notifications don't help me much since i have it send them to me via SMS... best thing i've seen yet is that calendar now works in safari!

afc

Malcster
Aug 26, 2006, 07:53 AM
Version 1.9.65 is out now, fixes calendar integration.

I needed to trash my plist file (com.google.GmailNotifier.plist) too, but it works great now.

mkrishnan
Aug 26, 2006, 09:43 AM
It would be amazing if someone came out with an iSync plugin for GCal....

I was probably the *only* one who didn't understand this already when I asked the question... :D

But this is sort of already possible, so I just wanted to explain on the off chance that someone as dense as me is hanging out here. ;). To my knowledge, the only piece you cannot do is create events in iCal and have them appear in GCal.

You can subscribe to the Google Calendar in iCal rather easily (instructions here (http://www.tuaw.com/2006/04/13/howto-subscribe-to-a-google-calendar-using-ical/)). Once you do, you can push items on the Google Calendar out to any device via iSync. The only problem is that the Google Calendar can only be changed from the Google interface, as far as I know....

EDIT: Delayed hit, but I just realized that iCal Server hasn't existed up till now and is a Leopard Server feature. Which means that iCal for Leopard at the very least should have the ability to interact in a read/write fashion with a server-hosted calendar. Which could mean that it would give iCal the ability to make changes to a Google calendar.... :)

bousozoku
Aug 26, 2006, 10:08 AM
I was probably the *only* one who didn't understand this already when I asked the question... :D

But this is sort of already possible, so I just wanted to explain on the off chance that someone as dense as me is hanging out here. ;). To my knowledge, the only piece you cannot do is create events in iCal and have them appear in GCal.

You can subscribe to the Google Calendar in iCal rather easily (instructions here (http://www.tuaw.com/2006/04/13/howto-subscribe-to-a-google-calendar-using-ical/)). Once you do, you can push items on the Google Calendar out to any device via iSync. The only problem is that the Google Calendar can only be changed from the Google interface, as far as I know....

EDIT: Delayed hit, but I just realized that iCal Server hasn't existed up till now and is a Leopard Server feature. Which means that iCal for Leopard at the very least should have the ability to interact in a read/write fashion with a server-hosted calendar. Which could mean that it would give iCal the ability to make changes to a Google calendar.... :)

The masses are usually equally dense. It's part of being a human being. :D If you were based on silicon instead of carbon, you might have an easier understanding of all things electronic, right?

I'm glad that Google calendar exists. Since it can be integrated into iCal, it's twice as useful because I should be able to put reminders on my iPod and have them sent to my mobile phone.

mkrishnan
Aug 26, 2006, 10:19 AM
I'm glad that Google calendar exists. Since it can be integrated into iCal, it's twice as useful because I should be able to put reminders on my iPod and have them sent to my mobile phone.

Very true.... I can also make appointments from any computer with internet access and have them get back to my Mac. If some future versions of iCal and Google Calendar allow for read/write access from iCal, then I will probably transfer my entire "home" calendar into my Google Calendar and make that one my mainstay. :)

mkrishnan
Aug 29, 2006, 08:08 AM
Two more addenda to my discussion with my unenlightened self.

Two more cool things you can do:

1) Synchronize (two-way) Google Calendar with iCal. Sort of. To get Google to see your calendar from iCal, you can publish it to iCal Exchange (http://www.icalx.com) and then Add it to the Other Calendar list on iCal. It appears as a separate calendar on Google. How to get iCal to see your Google Cal has already been discussed. So it isn't "one calendar," but on your Mac, you see the Google calendar which contains events added away from home, and your iCal Home calendar, which contains events added at home. On Google Calendar, you see your GCal which contains away events, and your iCal calendar shared via iCalX showing your home events.

2) You can of course do the same thing without using Google Calendar at all to share one calendar each from two Macs on iCal Exchange and keep them loosely sync'd that way. :)