Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christiemurphy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
I'm a brand new MAC user and when I say brand new, I mean I just purchased a G3 ibook off of ebay as well as an airport wireless card 802.b.1 (sure the name isn't correct) model. I've got it in my computer, but at this point I'm not sure where to go from here. I've tried to install the software but it seems like everything is in relation to having a base station and we have a Linksys Wireless-G Router installed to our main Windows PC. I'm not sure how to connect my computer to the internet whatsoever and I'm getting frusterated and I figured I'd ask this somewhat (well I think) simple question to experienced MAC users.

Please help!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, this is very doable.

1) You do not need any software.

2) Start by clicking on the airport icon on the menu bar (you should have one -- it should look like a series of circular waves, on the right side by the time). Make sure it says Airport: On. Now see if the name of the Linksys router appears below where it says Airport: On. If it does, click on it, and you should either connect or be prompted for a password.

Otherwise, if this does not work, you may have to do a couple of configuration changes. I don't have a Linksys wireless router, so I can only schematically walk you through these.

On the computer that's connected to the router, type in the IP address of the router in a web browser. Usually it is 192.168.0.1 so if you don't know, try that. You will be asked for a user name and password. If you don't know what that is, then get the installation guide from the Linksys box and it should tell you what it is by default.

Once you're in, the major change you may have to make is to set the router into the mode (may be called a "mixed" mode) in which both 802.11b and 802.11g devices can connect to it. If it's in the g-only mode, it will not allow the iBook G3 to connect.

If you don't have an airport icon in the menu bar, go to System Preferences (should be a white rectangular icon with an Apple logo in the dock), then select the Network Pane, and then click on the Assist Me button at the bottom and choose Assistant from the pop-up. That should help walk you through the process.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
christiemurphy said:
I'm a brand new MAC user and when I say brand new, I mean I just purchased a G3 ibook off of ebay as well as an airport wireless card 802.b.1 (sure the name isn't correct) model. I've got it in my computer, but at this point I'm not sure where to go from here. I've tried to install the software but it seems like everything is in relation to having a base station and we have a Linksys Wireless-G Router installed to our main Windows PC. I'm not sure how to connect my computer to the internet whatsoever and I'm getting frusterated and I figured I'd ask this somewhat (well I think) simple question to experienced MAC users.

Please help!

First of all, WELCOME!

To establish a connexion to your router, you will need your wireless password, or WEP key, which is 12 digit if I remember well.
When you have that, go to Preferences>Network>Airport>Display Icon/Status in bar.
(I don't know exactly as I have a french OSX and I haven't got the computer right here) .

Then, on the top you should have something with concentric waves (airport) that appeared. (If that was already checked and up there, then ignore what I wrote and start here). Click the airport thingy, and your network should appear. Click it. Enter your password. Your Mac is now connected to the internet.

the window should look like

*Your Network's Name*
***************** (WEP key)

If that was unsuccessful, or too complicated and unclear, you always have the mac os help (top bar>Help)

Your G3 is avery good purchase, but don't forget to buy a new battery, the old ones really suck.

you can buy one from here

There you go! please feel free to ask any other question, if any.:)

EDIT: seems like someone was quicker and more concise/precise than me. Must have had a reachable Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.