PDA

View Full Version : TabletPCdeveloper logo vs. Apple Newton logo

ahe
Mar 21, 2003, 04:13 AM
A couple of days ago I saw a banner of the Tablet PC developer site, sponsored by Microsoft. The nice old Apple Newton logo suddenly came to my mind, 'cause this new logo is almost equal! It's just mirrored horizontally, but... well, just take a look at them both and judge for yourselves.

The website I am talking about is http://www.tabletpcdeveloper.com

Mr. Anderson
Mar 21, 2003, 07:02 AM
Although there is a resemblance, the light bulb is commonly associated with ideas - so it might be a coincidence, but maybe not.

Interesting, though.

And next time, post this in the appropriate forum.

D

ahe
Mar 21, 2003, 09:34 AM
Yes, light bulbs are associated with ideas, but the resemblance is more than casual to me, specially if you consider it's being used for a similar product. Oh well, that's up to Apple to take any actions, I don't own the Newton logo (a pity, by the way).

What's the appropriate forum for this subject?

"Apple/Tech topics that don't fall in other categories" I think that's pretty approximate, but if you want to move it to a different forum, please feel free to do so.

Angel.

Jaykay
Mar 21, 2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by ahe
A couple of days ago I saw a banner of the Tablet PC developer site, sponsored by Microsoft. The nice old Apple Newton logo suddenly came to my mind, 'cause this new logo is almost equal! It's just mirrored horizontally, but... well, just take a look at them both and judge for yourselves.

The website I am talking about is http://www.tabletpcdeveloper.com

Looks like its just a copy to me... ahhh the newton those were the days.

Eniregnat
Mar 21, 2003, 12:12 PM
This could easily be a case of dilution of trademark.

The Newton was the first portable handwriting recognition system.
The idea of thinking as you write was an Apple hallmark.
I am not for frivolous lawsuits, but I think that this one steals Apple’s iconography and product image. I hope that Apple legal sees this.

patrick0brien
Mar 21, 2003, 12:27 PM
-Gents

I'm currently at an IP law firm and having been through several Tradmark searches I can say that this is close enough that Apple Legal probably has a case here.

The opposition (defendant) to an Apple initiated suit would probably argue that it's not just a lightbulb, but a question mark, but that's refuted by looking at the design cues.

The squiggly in for the filament; the incomplete arc of the bulb, the "rays" off the top (Newton=5, this=3).

What really does it is that it's for a similar product, in the same industry. If this were for an artificial insemination company, there would probably be no real issue.

Eniregnat
Mar 21, 2003, 01:29 PM
What to contact Apple's legal department?
A possible future job switch?

patrick0brien
Mar 21, 2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Eniregnat
What to contact Apple's legal department?
A possible future job switch?

-Eniregnat

Were those questions directed at me?

Eniregnat
Mar 21, 2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Eniregnat

Were those questions directed at me?

Yes, but a simple spelling error sort of killed it. - I just fixed it.

I have a few friends who have worked for Apple. They got in by asking questions, and later when they applied they had some connections that at least made them stand out.

I know a Patrick oBrien- he's a philosopher, professor, writer, and generaly good guy.

Cheers.

pantagruel
Mar 21, 2003, 06:02 PM
way too similar between the two, the company must and should change it. use a lightbulb just not in the hand scribbled fashion.