PDA

View Full Version : I switched today!

anneleonard
Mar 21, 2003, 10:51 AM
After only deciding under 3 weeks ago to get an iMac and ditch my pc, I'm here using my beautiful new 17" widescreen iMac. WOW is all I can say. :eek: Some things have flummoxed me, like the installation procedures n stuff. I decided to switch after seeing my boyfriend's amazing iBook and realising that I should have more technological beauty in my life! I'd used windows to death, and was very bored with it. This is the ultimate design accessory but its also really cool to use. The only thing that doesn't seem to be so good on a Mac is if you're a heavy user of msn messenger. I've downloaded the version for mac but it doesn't have so many utilities and I'm going to miss having a video & voice conversation with my boyfriend (as we are a long-distance couple).
Enough of my blathering on, I'm going to carry on enjoying my new baby :D

Mr. Anderson
Mar 21, 2003, 11:05 AM
Congrats on your new way of life! ;)

What made you join MacRumors? Did you know about it before you bought the iMac or was it something you just found searching around the net on your new machine?

D

mmcxiiad
Mar 21, 2003, 11:11 AM
I had the same dislike for msn messenger when i switched last year. i recently started using proteus (http://www.indigofield.com). it is a really good all-in-one chat client. i am able to talk with aim, yahoo, icq and msn without having seperate apps open for each one. plus it uses a shared/tabbed message window. you'll have to try it out.

Eric

anneleonard
Mar 21, 2003, 11:54 AM
My boyfriend is a member of macrumors, its the only forum that he thinks its ok to be a part of, as he usually curses me when he finds out I have been posting on random forums! A lot are a waste of time, but I can see the point in macrumors, as after only having a mac for a day, I know I will have to have some outlet to shout about how lovely my mac is with some more understanding people than my friends! They got really annoyed with me this week when I kept telling them when my mac was meant to be arriving. :rolleyes:
Besides, I think my boyfriend loves me more now I am a macowner and macrumors newbie!;)

Mr. Anderson
Mar 21, 2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by anneleonard
My boyfriend is a member of macrumors, its the only forum that he thinks its ok to be a part of, as he usually curses me when he finds out I have been posting on random forums!

Ok, so, who is he? ;)

And now you'll have to go to the distributed computing forum and learn all about folding@home.....

D

anneleonard
Mar 21, 2003, 12:41 PM
he's mrjamin and very lovely he is too :D

scem0
Mar 22, 2003, 04:00 AM
Which model did you get? The 1 GHz?!?!

If you did, that computer is going to make you very happy for
a very long time. :D. Enjoy it.

anneleonard
Mar 22, 2003, 07:05 AM
yeah, the 1 Ghz. Its amazing, just lovely. Mrjamin has just rung me to tell me to get off the computer, open the curtains and do something else. Well... I have opened the curtains successfully! :) I think he's just jealous coz he's got an iBook and still a manky beast of a PC left for desktop work, tehe. But now i'm 100% a switcher, I just wish people at work would have apples rather than PCs, coz I'm going to have to go back to nasty pasty windows 98 on monday!

anneleonard
Mar 22, 2003, 07:14 AM
yeah, the 1 Ghz. Its amazing, just lovely. Mrjamin has just rung me to tell me to get off the computer, open the curtains and do something else. Well... I have opened the curtains successfully! :) I think he's just jealous coz he's got an iBook and still a manky beast of a PC left for desktop work, tehe. But now i'm 100% a switcher, I just wish people at work would have apples rather than PCs, coz I'm going to have to go back to nasty pasty windows 98 on monday!

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 22, 2003, 07:26 AM
Congrats on being a new member and on that fancy new imac, Keep a good eye on it because scemo has had his eye on it for sometime.;) It really is the neatest computer made i think.

MrMacMan
Mar 22, 2003, 09:14 AM
Happy switching, this board is great for anything you want and need to know.
Post a problem and we will get back to you guaranteed. :)
P.S that powerbook kicks.

Alte22a
Mar 22, 2003, 09:31 AM
Nice little machine you have. My little sister has one, she loves it to bits. Before she had a iMac CRT DV edition which she donnated to our father. Dad binned his Wintel beige thingy and now his house looks my better :D . But my little little sister is being battered at Uni in birmingham for owning an iBook. Never mind. But all in all the iMacs are cool..!! :cool:

Yeap this Forum is GREAT with alot of intelligent people and a place where you can shout about how lovely our Macs are.

I am David and I work in visual communications

mrjamin
Mar 22, 2003, 06:19 PM
hehehe - why'd you tell them i've only got an iBook, i've made out i've got a dual 1.42ghz G4 with two apple cinema displays :P

mrjamin
Mar 22, 2003, 06:20 PM
...how long before i'm not a newbie? been coming here daily for a few months now

alset
Mar 22, 2003, 06:48 PM
Congrats on your new machine!

There was a thread a while back that may be of interest to you. Tips for switchers. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21136&highlight=Tips)

Enjoy your Mac, and welcome to the rest of your life. :)

Dan

alset
Mar 22, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by mrjamin
...how long before i'm not a newbie? been coming here daily for a few months now

Member status is based on posting, not time.

Dan

mrjamin
Mar 23, 2003, 03:05 AM
yeah i knew that much - that's the case with every board system i've come accross! What are the post-thresholds?

alset
Mar 23, 2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by mrjamin
yeah i knew that much - that's the case with every board system i've come accross! What are the post-thresholds?

I believe it's Member at 50 and Regular at 100. Avatar at 500.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dan

scem0
Mar 23, 2003, 03:41 AM
Newbie = 0 - 29 posts
Member => 30 posts
Regular => 100 posts
6502 => 500 posts
65816 => 1000 posts
65832 => 1500 posts
68000 => 1505 posts
68010 => 2000 posts
68020 => 2005 posts
these are apple processor designations and they just continue up to more and more modern processors.
demi-god/goddess => support of site with purchase of macrumors donation mug ($30) or $20 donation

anneleonard
Mar 24, 2003, 05:02 AM
Well done, my love, you're a member now :D
I'm still a macrumors newbie and proud of it :)
I've managed to customise my dock icons already, and they look pukkaaaaaaa. Now I'm at work I'm missing my iMac :( nearest I can get to it is coming for a browse on the macrumors forums!

Anne.

sparkleytone
Mar 24, 2003, 10:28 AM
heh I just have to say I love it when new switchers come on at work and tell how they miss their Mac at home. that's just like me, right here on the PC's at school.

Congrats2U anneleonard. I just bought an eMac, making my second of many many Macs to be bought in my life. Its going to be hoarded over by my g/f, who incidentally hated Macs more than I did. If only I still had the time to work fulltime at CompUSA. I could be bringing switchers in droves.

mrjamin
Mar 24, 2003, 11:18 AM
oh if only i could afford to switch completely. I'm currently away from my pc (at my parents for a while - brought my trusty iBook along!) which i'm actually enjoying. Still a bit of an MS whore using office etc. I think i might have to buy an apple desktop in the summer ;)

alexlai5050
Apr 13, 2003, 04:08 PM
Macs are the best man
if you got a imac i advise you to get a decent mouse its so crap the promouse i just ordered one for my 12 " powerbook wen it came i thought it was crap so not im gettin a bluetooth mosue

GeneR
Apr 15, 2003, 09:55 PM
It's always great to hear about new users gushing over their macs. And it's funny that Apple is STILL only 3% of the market! How weird! :D