PDA

View Full Version : Quadra 840 AV

DaveTV
Mar 21, 2003, 10:53 AM
I was given a MacIntosh QUADRA 840 AV - is this thing worth anything, or is it totally obsolete? I haven't tried to boot it or anything yet - all responses appreciated(even the snide ones! *L)
THX

gopher
Mar 21, 2003, 11:06 AM
You can make a nice interactive kiosk with it as it supports video in and out and can be used for Quicktime video production. The best OS it can run though is 8.1 which is good enough to get you on the net assuming you don't go to too many Java based websites. Check http://www.lowendmac.com/ for writeups on older machines.

DaveTV
Mar 21, 2003, 11:08 AM
THX - is it worth throwing out on eBay? I didn't see any out there...

gopher
Mar 21, 2003, 11:23 AM
I don't know, but you might want to make it a network server. I don't trust eBay anyway. They make you pay to put the auction online, and then spam you like crazy well after your last auction was done.

Doctor Q
Mar 21, 2003, 11:28 AM
The Quadra 840AV was the last and greatest pre-Power Mac. I have one that still runs, but I have little use for it anymore, which makes me a little sad. It was really my best Mac ever, in the sense that it was once top of the line, had groundbreaking video capabilities, and made me feel like I could do anything.

Your 840AV isn't worth more than a few dollars in the market anymore. Since almost every pre-Power Mac (Motorola 68K-based) application can also run on Power Macs, there isn't much need for pre-Power Macs, even this, the fastest one.

It can be used for the tasks that any old Mac (or PC for that matter) can be used for, i.e., non-CPU-intensive applications like word processing. If you have enough RAM, you can do web surfing with an older browser. If you have a network, maybe it could run firewall software.

I doubt schools would want it as a donation. The schools I've worked with don't have much use for machines that old. For example, it would likely cost more to buy a Mac serial interface printer to use with a Quadra 840AV than a much better USB printer for any new Mac, so why bother? That's the trouble with very old Macs: they may still work, but its not worth putting more money into them.

I'm afraid that the Quadra 840AV is ready to take its well-deserved place in the computer museum.

alex_ant
Mar 21, 2003, 11:31 AM
Macofalltrades was giving Quadra 840s away for free (not including shipping) a while ago. I would say you could get $20 for it on eBay, tops... but realistically more like $5 or $10. It can run almost no current software, as it's M68K based, not PowerPC based.

FattyMembrane
Mar 21, 2003, 12:53 PM
i'd say just keep it for fun. it would be cool to mess around with it (you can even put A/UX or netbsd on it) and the av version allows you to do video editing (albeit slowly).

bignumbers
Mar 23, 2003, 07:16 AM
This would make a great home automation server, running XTension http://www.shed.com. I ran this on a IIci for 3+ years with no trouble.

You could use the video in/out very well here. In to monitor a camera, and out to a TV or video distribution.