PDA

View Full Version : The Curious Case of the Supposed MacBook Wi-Fi Hack

MacBytes
Aug 21, 2006, 07:59 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The Curious Case of the Supposed MacBook Wi-Fi Hack (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060821205935)
Description:: I think they tried — and failed — to find an exploit that works against the standard AirPort cards and drivers used by nearly all Mac users, and that they then realized they could, in a demo, exploit buggy drivers other than Apple’s on a doctored MacBook and draw much more attention to themselves and their firm.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

angelwatt
Aug 21, 2006, 08:27 PM
Wow, that's a long article. Didn't read it all, but from what I did read seemed well written and makes some nice points. Mentions things I thought were true myself. Leave it to human nature to boost oneself's ego.

treblah
Aug 21, 2006, 08:30 PM
Wow, that's a long article. Didn't read it all, but from what I did read seemed well written and makes some nice points. Mentions things I thought were true myself. Leave it to human nature to boost oneself's ego.

Daring Fireball > everything. True story. ;)

ezekielrage_99
Aug 21, 2006, 09:06 PM
Interesting article but I think it all boils down to making a piece of hardware or software doing what it's not designed to do and you will have some problems.

wyatt23
Aug 21, 2006, 09:27 PM
these jerks did what they wanted to do. turned peoples heads.

they got mS fanboys to stick their tounges out and say i told you so, and they got apple fan boys all fired up.

now all the dust has settled, the troops returned to their respective sides, and all they have now is zero credibility.

nagromme
Aug 21, 2006, 09:41 PM
What's weird is the all the EMOTIONS that some Windows users (even so-called professionals and tech writers) have against Macs and Mac users--emotions based on the BENEFITS of Macs! (Like the security "expert" saying that Mac users' feeling of safety makes him want to put someone's eye out with a cigarette--and like lots of anonymous online venom.)

Some will respond that Mac users have emotions too--emotions about LIKING their Macs, and sometimes disliking Windows too. This is true. I experience both emotions, personally :)

But there's a fundamental difference:

* Positive emotion about something (Macs in this case) that helps you out and improves your life is quite reasonable.

* Negative emotion about something that causes you problems and that you are forced to use anyway (like Windows, very often) is also quite reasonable.

* But negative emotion about something OTHER people use, that does NOT cause them or you problems, and that you are NOT forced to use, is NOT reasonable.

Thus, a Mac user "hating" Windows is not truly parallel to a Windows user "hating" Macs. (Now, a Mac user "loving" Macs may be the same as a Windows user "loving" Windows--assuming that happens :) )

You could say that these people don't really have emotions against Macs, or Mac users--just against a very small number of anonymous Mac users online who have acted "smug." Fair enough--there are no shortage of immature jerks on any platform--but I don't think it's just that. The venom some Windows users seem to feel goes far beyond this, in my view. They WANT Mac users (not just a handful of Mac "jerks") to suffer the way they are suffering... even though their suffering (via Windows) is often by choice! And certainly is not the fault of Mac users.

It's very odd to me. It's not odd that so many people use Windows unquestioningly--that I understand: people know what they know, and they fear the unknown and different. They assume that ALL computers must be as bad as theirs, so they stick with the devil the know. A mistake, but understandable. What's so odd is the emotions from people--like tech writers and security experts--who know enough NOT to be afraid. They aren't ignorant. So where does all this emotion come from? :confused:

fixyourthinking
Aug 21, 2006, 09:47 PM
one of the best written "ripping a new one's" Ive read in a loooooooooong time

Mammoth
Aug 21, 2006, 10:00 PM
Are there statistics as to how many people that use Windows have clinical depression compared to Mac users?

Neerazan
Aug 22, 2006, 04:56 AM
Are there statistics as to how many people that use Windows have clinical depression compared to Mac users?

I would suggest that Mac users have a higher percentage of mental illness that Windows users, but only because there are many links between certain forms of mental illness and high creativity :)

...high blood pressure and anger management issues are another story however...

killmoms
Aug 22, 2006, 10:03 AM
Daring Fireball giving a sterling example of why I think it's one of the best Mac-related blogs on the Web. Very well written, I enjoyed reading the whole thing—especially since having all the facts (with some pointed analysis) in one place is nice.

brad.c
Aug 22, 2006, 01:59 PM
... What's so odd is the emotions from people--like tech writers and security experts--who know enough NOT to be afraid. They aren't ignorant. So where does all this emotion come from? :confused:

I used to be the Mac geek of the internal marketing department of a large corporation, back in the days of the Auto-start worm. In addition to being a graphic artist, I provided sole tech support for 45 Macs, as well as a mac-based print and file server, and an imagesetter chain. I did this in my spare time. The helpdesk techs in IT support 50 users each, FULL-TIME.

It always seemed to me that the PC-centric support staff hated Macs because they reduced corporate dependancy on IT support infrastructure.

Not much has changed in ten years.

kgarner
Aug 22, 2006, 03:27 PM
Daring Fireball giving a sterling example of why I think it's one of the best Mac-related blogs on the Web. Very well written, I enjoyed reading the whole thing—especially since having all the facts (with some pointed analysis) in one place is nice.
Agreed, Daring Fireball is one of the best (if not the best) Mac-centric site out there. If you are looking for some entertainment I highly recommend the posts about the anthropomorphized brushed metal interface. Some NSFW language, but damn funny.

nagromme
Aug 22, 2006, 03:50 PM
It always seemed to me that the PC-centric support staff hated Macs because they reduced corporate dependancy on IT support infrastructure.
That's definitely one reason for IT staff to oppose Macs (and security/anti-virus companies too: they make money from INsecurity). A reason to oppose Macs on a purposeful, agenda level

But planned, self-interested opposition is one thing... getting emotionally worked up against Macs, and wishing ill on Mac users on any level, is another.

(And tech writers' jobs don't depend on insecurity--they thrive on news, change, etc.--and the growth of Apple / decline and fall of Microsoft is certainly not leaving them with nothing to write about.)

macnulty
Aug 23, 2006, 08:49 PM
Odd indeed. What struck me odd from the start was the lack of third party verification at all. Technicalities I don't know, however logic dictates someone else being able to do the exploit, which never happened.