PDA

View Full Version : An Idea

atad6
Aug 22, 2006, 09:07 PM
I was just thinking about this as I was looking at the temps on my computer. It'd sure be nice to manually be able to set the processor to throttle no higher than a certain interval for instances when not all power/battery is needed. I'm sure this isn't implemented because it either has some bad effect on the processor that i don't know of or it would look bad for intel because their processors are stated to run at 2.16 ghz or whatever.

fact is, as processors get faster and crammed into smaller spaces there is going to be more and more heat. the ability to set a performance mode to control heat or fans would be helpful. i know the processors already throttle down but it would be even better if they could throttle lower when doing low intensive applications or traveling. another option would be for the ability to turn the fans up.

as much as apple wants to make the macbooks (and pro) as silent as possible it would be better if they gave the option to turn the fans on higher to reduce temps (i'm pretty sure they can be, they turn on full blast with the firmware update).

it seems like this would be a good idea, would there be anything wrong with something like this?

ampd
Aug 23, 2006, 12:27 AM
I was just thinking about this as I was looking at the temps on my computer. It'd sure be nice to manually be able to set the processor to throttle no higher than a certain interval for instances when not all power/battery is needed. I'm sure this isn't implemented because it either has some bad effect on the processor that i don't know of or it would look bad for intel because their processors are stated to run at 2.16 ghz or whatever.

fact is, as processors get faster and crammed into smaller spaces there is going to be more and more heat. the ability to set a performance mode to control heat or fans would be helpful. i know the processors already throttle down but it would be even better if they could throttle lower when doing low intensive applications or traveling. another option would be for the ability to turn the fans up.

as much as apple wants to make the macbooks (and pro) as silent as possible it would be better if they gave the option to turn the fans on higher to reduce temps (i'm pretty sure they can be, they turn on full blast with the firmware update).

it seems like this would be a good idea, would there be anything wrong with something like this?

imm really drunk right now but it seems like you are taliking about acpi which contols the freqs. to the processor which in turn controls how much voltage is given to thje processor which effects the heat..i know this is implemented in linux and since im waiting on my mac pro to arrive i dont really know if there is an os x feature to control it or whether there is some console based program to do it....