Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NedMacPro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
I have 5 GB RAM that shows up just fine on the OS X but in Boot Camp it is only showing 1.98...anybody know why?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Windows is 32-bit.

NedMacPro said:
I have 5 GB RAM that shows up just fine on the OS X but in Boot Camp it is only showing 1.98...anybody know why?

Because Windows XP Home and Professional editions are only 32-bit, they have an inherent limitation of 4 GB. However, by default, they only show up to 2 GB as 'user-addressable'. This can be increased to 3 GB by adding the '/3GB' switch to your boot.ini listing. Usually, XP reserves anything over 2 GB for system use. (And, yes, 3 GB is the absolute max that XP Pro will allow to be seen by applications.)

See here, 4th through 7th paragraphs.

Another possible workaround is to install the 64-bit version of Windows, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. (Although I don't know if Boot Camp supports it...)

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
The problem:

windoze;) :rolleyes:

Is it the 32 bit version of xp? If so, I think it will only recognise 4GB RAM.

I hve no idea why it doesn't evn recognise 2:confused:

NedMacPro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Thx for the info...

Thx for the info...I will try this...
ehurtley said:
Because Windows XP Home and Professional editions are only 32-bit, they have an inherent limitation of 4 GB. However, by default, they only show up to 2 GB as 'user-addressable'. This can be increased to 3 GB by adding the '/3GB' switch to your boot.ini listing. Usually, XP reserves anything over 2 GB for system use. (And, yes, 3 GB is the absolute max that XP Pro will allow to be seen by applications.)

Another possible workaround is to install the 64-bit version of Windows, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. (Although I don't know if Boot Camp supports it...)

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
Accepted answer:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
the /3GB switch in Windows on a PC affects only the amount of RAM that is allocatable to applications (and only if the application is coded to take advantage of it, few are), not the total RAM visible / usable by the OS.

The Bootcamp / EFI firmware of the Mac Pro limits the RAM Usable in 32-bit Windows to 2 GB. The /3GB and PAE switches have nothing to do with the amount of RAM accessible by Windows under Bootcamp.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
the /3GB switch in Windows on a PC affects only the amount of RAM that is allocatable to applications (and only if the application is coded to take advantage of it, few are), not the total RAM visible / usable by the OS.

The Bootcamp / EFI firmware of the Mac Pro limits the RAM Usable in Windows to 2 GB. The /3GB and PAE switches have nothing to do with the amount of RAM accessible by Windows under Bootcamp.

Exactly.

Also, the 32-bit version of Windows (XP and Vista) can address 3GB. Not 2GB.

Seeing less than 3GB when 3GB or more is installed is always the fault of the chipset, not the OS.

64-bit Windows can address 4GB and above. Vista Home Premium has something like a 16GB limit.

nurfen

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2007
The Bootcamp / EFI firmware of the Mac Pro limits the RAM Usable in Windows to 2 GB. The /3GB and PAE switches have nothing to do with the amount of RAM accessible by Windows under Bootcamp.

What? So, if I run Vista x64, I still can't use my 6 GBs of RAM?

617arg

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
What? So, if I run Vista x64, I still can't use my 6 GBs of RAM?

You can. When I run Vista x64 through Bootcamp I can see all 18GB of my RAM. When I'm running through Fusion I have 8GB allocated, and it shows up.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
I have Vista Business (to use 8 cores) 64 bit (to see all RAM - I have 4GB and it sees all of it). My XP Pro 32 only saw 3GB. Go with Vista Business 64. Forget about the 'Vista sucks' posts - I have had no problems whatsoever and it runs faster than XP 32.
Alan

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Agreed - get Vista x64 (any version other than Home Basic/Premuim) and your RAM and processors will be available to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.