PDA

View Full Version : Where did the black Apple Pro Mouse go?

Bateman
Mar 21, 2003, 08:50 PM
Ok, so I'm running through the store on the Apple page building up the computer that i have been planning to get for months now... and i notice something different this time around...
The apple pro mouse isn't an option for an extra peripheral anymore. It isn't anywhere in the laptop section anymore. It is available when you buy an iMac though, but that of course is the white apple mouse. So the black pro mouse is no longer available. Ok big deal right? Might this have something to do with the rumored blue tooth mouse that a few people have speculated about.

You know what though, its probably nothing... I just thought that i would let you all know that if you are wanting a black apple mouse with your laptop purchase you are SOL. You know who you are....

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 21, 2003, 09:07 PM
Maybe you are on to something, but a new design mouse would match a new powermac. sure you could add a button or wheel which doesnt bother me but how do you make a great design better? sort of like the current powermac.

iJon
Mar 21, 2003, 09:42 PM
apple is now including the white mice with the powermacs now, they are so ugly. i hate the white, gets so dirty. this is what i would like to see. bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and have the keyboard light up like the powerbook. i think if they included that with every desktop mac it would be so great. lets get rid of those cords.

iJon

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 21, 2003, 09:47 PM
sounds good but now we have to mess with batteries right

iJon
Mar 21, 2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
sounds good but now we have to mess with batteries right
what if they had a firewire port or something where you could charge it at night or just run it off the cable, i dont think apple would use batteries, just seems to "crappy" like. its like having batteries in the ipod.

iJon

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 21, 2003, 09:53 PM
Agree in fact that would be the only way i would want one.

jrv3034
Mar 21, 2003, 10:08 PM
What if they made the keyboard with a cord, and on the side of the keyboard there was a place to stick the cordless mouse to recharge/store for the night?

iJon
Mar 21, 2003, 10:26 PM
i think it would be easier to have small rechargeable batteries that you can just snap out and pop it into a charger, then have usb ports on them so you could run it off the cable if you had to.

iJon

daniel77
Mar 22, 2003, 12:48 PM
speaking of gone, did anyone notice how apple took out the 15'' with superdrive :P and the boost to 800mhz on base model?>

Moxiemike
Mar 22, 2003, 01:11 PM
This is surely proof that the 970 is coming in new cases!

If we look back.... in 1998, the iMac shipped with hockey puck mouse and lame mini-keyboard.

They switched from ADB keyboard to the USB on Blue and White G3s and included EXACTLY what came with the iMacs.

The next revision was the first g4!

So.... now... we had the pro keyboard. The iMac get a white version of the pro. That trickles down to the new PowerMac G4s. What's next??? New case and 970!

Wooohooo!

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 22, 2003, 01:21 PM
So true,we know the 970 is coming but the next question is how will it look? how about a all new black tower with chrome bars/feet/handles or the color changing mac???Maybe the new mouse will give us a hint.

Vlade
Mar 22, 2003, 02:29 PM
it would be nice if apple learned what a 3 button/scrollwheal mouse is... i bought mine for 20 bucks and it is twice as nice as apples 60 dollar one

iJon
Mar 22, 2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
it would be nice if apple learned what a 3 button/scrollwheal mouse is... i bought mine for 20 bucks and it is twice as nice as apples 60 dollar one
i couldnt agree more.

iJon

alset
Mar 22, 2003, 04:26 PM
Personally, I would like to see a two button mouse with wheel, rather than three. Also, perhaps Apple could come up with a design so that the entire mouse works as buttons, like current Apple mice. I hate having to keep my hand forward to click a button. Would anyone else prefer this all button design?

Dan

szark
Mar 22, 2003, 04:38 PM
alset, have you ever seen the Crystal Neon Optical Mouse (http://www.colorcase.com/crysneonopmo.html#)?

bousozoku
Mar 22, 2003, 04:38 PM
You have to wonder how many people inside Apple have brought in their own mouse to use in place of the Pro mouse or its predecessor.

While the Pro mouse is definitely kewl to watch, it's more of a pain to use. The trouble is--how do you come up with something just as kewl but more functional?

scem0
Mar 22, 2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by szark
alset, have you ever seen the Crystal Neon Optical Mouse (http://www.colorcase.com/crysneonopmo.html#)?

I love this mouse. If it was BT (Wireless) it would be PERFECT.

Hopefully apple will copy this mouse and just add BT.

alset
Mar 23, 2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by szark

I have seen, but never used. I didn't think it would be especially functional. I guess I should give it a shot?

Dan

scem0
Mar 23, 2003, 03:01 AM
I don't think the pro mouse is that functional. Unless your hand
is positioned right, you have to click hard. It is slow, low definition
laser, and kind of.... old. :(.

It isn't bad.... It just could be better. The pro mouse and
keyboard are in for an update. The update better be good. ;)

RandomDeadHead
Mar 23, 2003, 03:49 AM
I have personaly bought and used one of the Crystal Neon Optical Mouse that you guys speak so highly of. It sucks so bad on so many levels. First of all the thing is extremely light and feels very hollow. To initiate either a right or left click, on must use all five fingers, with a left click your thumb has to hold down the right side so the POS doesnt tip over. Also they use an extremly cheep plastic for the casing, if the owner wears any rings, the mouse soon looks like a plexiglass window on a single wide trailer home.

Sorry for my rant, but I thought I woud let you guys know that anything that looks as good as an Apple product but is not made by Apple, is probably just another POS.

As for the other guy that has one, maybe I got a different version than you did, Because the one I had sucks beyond belief.

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 23, 2003, 08:05 AM
People can rave rant etc, but i have allways loved the pro mouse,its durable has a tension controle and is easy to click at any angle. maybe a scroll wheel and cordless but i dont want a ugly button covered mouse. I have abused mine and still no scratches. I would love to see a new mouse introduced my apple because it would hint at the new powermac to come.

Alte22a
Mar 23, 2003, 08:15 AM
I love my pro mouse, bought another one with my new PB. Wouldnt have it any other way. But I how could the pro mouse get improved? Wireless? hmm I wonder.

DHagan4755
Mar 23, 2003, 10:54 AM
I don't mind the white mouse. The keyboard is less attractive.

I'm wondering if the next iteration of the pro-keyboard will actually return to black and feature backlit keys. If they can do it on the 17-inch PowerBook G4, then they can surely do it on the desktop gear. That'd be so cool!

zac4mac
Mar 23, 2003, 11:16 AM
I hate one-button-mice.

Got tired of blowing cookie crumbs out of my keyboard from using "shortcuts" and got an M$ Explorer(5buttons/wheel) for my duallie, a Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro(4combinations/wheel) for my iBook and a Kensington basic Optical(4combos/wheel) for my USB enabled PM8500.

But that's my preference, YMMV.

alset
Mar 24, 2003, 10:08 PM
I like the functionality of a multi-button mouse, it's just not as comfortable to have to keep my hand forward to reach. I like being able to do everything with my finger tips.

Any more feedback/advice about the Neon?

Dan

Computer_Phreak
Mar 25, 2003, 10:11 AM
when i got my G4 iMac, everyone was like, "Whats that?" They were referring to the mouse.

I thought it was cool at first, but i soon bought a $20 logitech 2 button mouse with scroll wheel, which i modded - I replaced the red LED with a blue one, so now it matches my powermate, and my PC.