PDA

View Full Version : Oh Floppy disks

7on
Aug 23, 2006, 01:52 PM
Anyone still get floppy disks from clients? Look what reared it's ugly head for me today...

iGav
Aug 23, 2006, 03:23 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've had the odd ZIP disk, but I've not had a floppy disk since about '96 maybe '97 when email really killed them off.

Your client's not a retirement home or anything is it???

PlaceofDis
Aug 23, 2006, 03:27 PM
haven't used one since around '99 i'd say.

i feel bad for you.

7on
Aug 23, 2006, 03:36 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've had the odd ZIP disk, but I've not had a floppy disk since about '96 maybe '97 when email really killed them off.

Your client's not a retirement home or anything is it???

We regularly use Zip Disks :p

The client's just someone who demands bullet points in the form of hands pointing :rolleyes: so it's understandable that she'd give me a floppy.

iGav
Aug 23, 2006, 03:43 PM
We regularly use Zip Disks :p

I just got rid of a couple of hundred of them earlier this year... I don't think I've used them since 2001, each and everyone was like a timecapsule. :p

tobefirst
Aug 23, 2006, 03:56 PM
We get the occasional query about bringing down a floppy, but since it's an all-Mac office, we have no way to read them. Shame, too. (:

PlaceofDis
Aug 23, 2006, 03:57 PM
We get the occasional query about bringing down a floppy, but since it's an all-Mac office, we have no way to read them. Shame, too. (:

there are still USB floppy drives out there if its needed. but i'd think they're rather hard to find these days. ;)

tobefirst
Aug 23, 2006, 04:09 PM
there are still USB floppy drives out there if its needed. but i'd think they're rather hard to find these days. ;)
I'd rather not find them, if you know what I mean. (:

~Shard~
Aug 23, 2006, 04:17 PM
I still have a bunch of brand new floppy discs lying around somewhere. I'll just hold onto them for a couple more decades until they're worth MILLIONS... :D ;)

baleensavage
Aug 23, 2006, 04:21 PM
PC users will never give up their floppies, it's like some unspoken code of honor or something. I still get the things from customers at my work too. I get more floppies than Zip disks these days. Floppies and those god-awful square business card CDs should all be burned in a mass public bonfire. Of course that could just cause mass rioting across the country from all the Windows 98 diehard users.

IJ Reilly
Aug 23, 2006, 04:36 PM
You can buy used/discontinued USB Imation SuperDisk drives for a couple of bucks each all day long on eBay. They read floppies and the SuperDisk (120 Mb) format, if you can find them.

7on
Aug 23, 2006, 04:51 PM
You can buy used/discontinued USB Imation SuperDisk drives for a couple of bucks each all day long on eBay. They read floppies and the SuperDisk (120 Mb) format, if you can find them.

I have a Superdisk drive connected to the PM G5 here at work.

ATD
Aug 23, 2006, 05:58 PM
LOL, haven't used those in 10 years. My clients are more likely to send harddrives than a floppy.

Mammoth
Aug 23, 2006, 11:47 PM
Ugh the school I left last year pretty much depended on them. We were expected to save our data on them, rather than the 4 or so GB hard drives on the 100Mhz 128MB RAM Win 95 Seanix boxes. Eew.

Aperture
Aug 24, 2006, 01:04 AM
My school currently has a "no flash drive" rule. They worry about getting malware on the ALL windows 98/XP network. I believe they will be permitted this year, though. I don't understand how students can use CDs/floppys but not flash drives. Either way, the cd/floppy/flash drive has to be scanned first by the "tech" guy who teaches keyboarding that I probably no more than. :o

Edit: After re-reading the thread, im not sure how well my post fits in. Sorry, its late.:(

bartelby
Aug 24, 2006, 02:24 AM
Where I work we've just sent out 100 floppy disks with stat data on. But then I do work for a "behind the times" employer!

chasemac
Aug 24, 2006, 02:38 AM
You can make it work though right? Thats the real ?:)

Dunepilot
Aug 24, 2006, 08:59 AM

They're bloody unreliable though. There were several of them in the possession of members of my family; none would write or read reliably from the 120MB iMation disks. Not a reliable format at all, from my experience. Bring back Syquest cartridges. They were the business.

aricher
Aug 24, 2006, 10:17 AM
Bring back Syquest cartridges. They were the business.
Word. I have files that have followed me along this path over many years:

5.25" floppy disk -> 3.5" floppy disk -> SyQuest 200 cartridge/10mb -> SyQuest 400 cartridge/44MB ->SyQuest 800 cartridge/88MB -> 100 MB Zip Disk -> 1 GB Jaz Disk -> 650 MB CD-ROM -> 4.7 GB DVD-R. All files are also live on multiple external hard drives.

Out of all of those, other than CD/DVD I think that the SyQuest was the most durable/stable media. I could throw them in my backpack, bang 'em around and they would still faithfully read/write.

That said, I haven't received a floppy, Zip, or Jaz from a client in about 4-5 years. It's all FTP, CD or DVD these days.

iGav
Aug 24, 2006, 10:25 AM
My clients are more likely to send harddrives than a floppy.

hahahahahaha that's exactly what they send me, though unfortunately they always want them back... unlike ZIP's etc etc. that I always used to keep. :( :D :p

IJ Reilly
Aug 24, 2006, 10:34 AM
They're bloody unreliable though. There were several of them in the possession of members of my family; none would write or read reliably from the 120MB iMation disks. Not a reliable format at all, from my experience.

I never used mine much, but never had a problem with them either. Lucky, maybe.

ATD
Aug 24, 2006, 11:27 AM
hahahahahaha that's exactly what they send me, though unfortunately they always want them back... unlike ZIP's etc etc. that I always used to keep. :( :D :p

So you are the guy that's got all my Zips. :rolleyes: ;)

7on
Aug 24, 2006, 12:03 PM
Well I get to recreate a brochure that was lost in a computer HDD crash at the beginning of summer. fun fun fun.

I was looking through the backups and am still astonished that we keep the Jaz and SyQuest disks yet lack drives to run them...

Oh yeah, our depart. has backups on ZIP disks... Though fortunately they've listened to me and put in a request for an xserve.

If you guys want nostalgia - We still output to film. mmmmm, Lino 560

ATD
Aug 24, 2006, 12:29 PM
BTW, what is everyone using for backup? I was using DVDs but the amount of content on my drives has exploded over the last few years. I'm running up about a TB a year, so until the BluRays come out, I'm buying hard drives. I was using tape drives (Dat) in the past but I don't like them at all.

iGav
Aug 24, 2006, 12:37 PM
So you are the guy that's got all my Zips. :rolleyes: ;)

Nah... I threw them out earlier this year. ;)

iGav
Aug 24, 2006, 12:44 PM
BTW, what is everyone using for backup? I was using DVDs but the amount of content on my drives has exploded over the last few years. I'm running up about a TB a year, so until the BluRays come out, I'm buying hard drives. I have using tape drives (Dat) in the past but I don't like them at all.

DVD's for stuff that's vital.
Xserves and My Book's for RAID and hard drive archives.

I'm waiting for Blu-ray too, it's going to make my archive much more managable. :D

IJ Reilly
Aug 24, 2006, 01:51 PM
BTW, what is everyone using for backup? I was using DVDs but the amount of content on my drives has exploded over the last few years. I'm running up about a TB a year, so until the BluRays come out, I'm buying hard drives. I have using tape drives (Dat) in the past but I don't like them at all.

Mass storage is so cheap now, I'd go with a hard drive.

Mammoth
Aug 24, 2006, 05:34 PM
I use nothing for backup probably because Mom thinks it's a waste of money. -_-

Wait until Time Machine though.... :D

ReanimationLP
Aug 24, 2006, 08:19 PM
I use DVD-Rs for backing up important stuff.

I fracking wish DL discs werent so expensive. :mad:

MacNut
Aug 24, 2006, 08:50 PM
I used to live off of zip disks, until the drive broke.:rolleyes:

dmw007
Aug 24, 2006, 08:57 PM
Anyone still get floppy disks from clients? Look what reared it's ugly head for me today...

Floppy disks what are those??? :confused: :confused: :confused: ;)

I haven't had to use a floppy disk in years. :D

aricher
Aug 24, 2006, 10:17 PM
BTW, what is everyone using for backup? I was using DVDs but the amount of content on my drives has exploded over the last few years. I'm running up about a TB a year, so until the BluRays come out, I'm buying hard drives. I was using tape drives (Dat) in the past but I don't like them at all.

I have a bit over a TB that I've been backing up on multiple hard drives. I used to burn it all to DVDs but have grown tired of incremental backups. Can't wait until BluRays come out. Sometimes it astounds me that I've been toting around files dating back to the early 80s.

I can't wait to revise my will to include data inheritance. :)

ghall
Aug 24, 2006, 10:56 PM
What's a floppy disk? :confused:

Oh, I remember now...um, aren't they those archaic digital storage devices that PCs still utilize?

MacBoobsPro
Aug 25, 2006, 05:26 AM
As a designer when a Floppy arrives in the office. You just know its either a word document that you cant do **** all with. It contains images that are way to small to print or the client wants their 74 page catalogue artwork (10GB) supplied on floppy and they have kindly let you use theirs :rolleyes:

"Oh thanks, when will the flatbed arrive with the rest?"

It sickens me :p

Blue Velvet
Aug 25, 2006, 05:48 AM
BTW, what is everyone using for backup?

We use TDK DVDs to archive completed projects... each disk is numbered and then catalogued with CDFinder which is set up to be accessible by all users on the network, then I make a compressed disk image of the DVD and store that on the server for immediate day-to-day access of files.

Being on the server also ensures that the work is duplicated in 3 places.

dmw007
Aug 25, 2006, 06:04 AM
Oh, I remember now...um, aren't they those archaic digital storage devices that PCs still utilize?

So that is where I faintly remember floppy disks from- PeeCees. :D :)

andy89
Aug 25, 2006, 12:51 PM
I just found a crate full of old floppy disks. Its got windows 3.1 in there!

ATD
Aug 25, 2006, 01:01 PM
We use TDK DVDs to archive completed projects... each disk is numbered and then catalogued with CDFinder which is set up to be accessible by all users on the network, then I make a compressed disk image of the DVD and store that on the server for immediate day-to-day access of files.

Being on the server also ensures that the work is duplicated in 3 places.

I like TDKs too. I make 2 DVD backups of my completed projects, one for the office and one for home. I use Portfolio for my visual data base, I make 4 files from that, by client, by disk and then reduce each of those for another set of that just has the finished work without the support files.

I get a lot of photography from my clients for the projects I work on. I have seen as many as 35,000 coverage photos taken on a movie, most are under 10,000. They used to shoot with film cameras then sort through them and scan just the selects. The reason for the data explosion in the last few years is the photographers have gone digital, shooting everything as 67MB tiffs. Since no scans are needed the client doesn't need to sort through them, they will load 1000s of photos at a time on a 500GB drive and sent it. Right now I'm buying hard drives to store the photos until a bigger DVD comes out.

millar876
Aug 25, 2006, 05:37 PM
my work decided to give us personal development folders to log our career achievments in during our aprentaceship, the software (html forms to fill and print) were on a floppy. I got strange looks when i asked which one of my body cavities this should be inserted into cos there sure aint a space on my computer for it. i also got funny looks when i tried to explain that there was no fan in my computer (by design not cos it broke) and was then told this wireless thingey will never take off and why would you want a thin monitor like that for. needless to say they didnt think apple still made computers or anything usefull. i liked my Cube airport base station (with modem) studio display and iBook DV SE.

anyhoo floppies who needs them. thats why we have e-mail and DSL

OLD JOKE ALERT
Q. Whats the diference between a woman and a computer?
A. A computer wont laf at a 3.5" floppie!

Lebowski
Aug 25, 2006, 06:21 PM
i still get zip and jazz discs.... which i have drives i can read them on...

but i havent even SEEN a floppy drive in like 6 years or more.

I would not accept a floppy if someone tried to give me art on it.

netdog
Aug 25, 2006, 06:26 PM

Seems like anything 1.44MBs or less could easily just be emailed. Oh well.

dmw007
Aug 25, 2006, 10:17 PM
I just found a crate full of old floppy disks. Its got windows 3.1 in there!

Sounds like time to light a bonfire. ;) :D :)

ejb190
Aug 26, 2006, 08:43 AM
I acquired an old Zenith 8088 luggable. You know the type: 5" amber screen and dual 5.25" floppies in a nice, portable 40 pound case. I still have most of the software (MS-DOS, several old spread sheets, and some agriculture management systems) and much to my surprise, it still works! I was amazed that most of the disks were not corrupted, although a few of them were.

dmw007
Aug 26, 2006, 09:09 AM
I acquired an old Zenith 8088 luggable. You know the type: 5" amber screen and dual 5.25" floppies in a nice, portable 40 pound case. I still have most of the software (MS-DOS, several old spread sheets, and some agriculture management systems) and much to my surprise, it still works! I was amazed that most of the disks were not corrupted, although a few of them were.

40 pounds, portable?! :eek: :D

ejb190
Aug 28, 2006, 04:20 PM
40 pounds, portable?! :eek: :D

And I would give it away to a good home if someone would pay shipping!

Kardashian
Aug 28, 2006, 04:27 PM
Jeese, I never knew they even existed anymore.

Do they still make them?

I remember from primary school everything was on Floppy, and a lot of secondary school as well.

Instead of using Pen Drives, and backing up on the HUGE range of computer (Windows, ew) - they insisted on those horrible little tea coasters.

PS: Do they still build floppy drives into Windows machines? Its been years since I've looked at a new one.. makes me feel all sick.

Super Macho Man
Aug 28, 2006, 05:42 PM

I use DV Backup (http://www.coolatoola.com) for archiving HDTV shows. Hard drives would be more convenient, but how else can you get 1.2 terabytes for $150.

Dunepilot
Aug 30, 2006, 04:13 AM
Our work network is that restricted that you cannot connect work laptops to the network (and sure as eggs is eggs, there's no wireless). They expect us to transfer work from laptops to desktops by floppy. When I pointed out that a Powerpoint presentation won't fit on a floppy, it was suggested that I split it up into several slides and transfer them one at a time!

This is what we're dealing with, people.

MacBoobsPro
Aug 30, 2006, 04:17 AM
Our work network is that restricted that you cannot connect work laptops to the network (and sure as eggs is eggs, there's no wireless). They expect us to transfer work from laptops to desktops by floppy. When I pointed out that a Powerpoint presentation won't fit on a floppy, it was suggested that I split it up into several slides and transfer them one at a time!

This is what we're dealing with, people.

I work with a group of clients that refuse to embrace technology and everything is done via phone and fax (yes i know its technology - tell it to them). No PDFs, no emails etc. Something that could be done in 5 minutes via email takes 3 days in the post. :rolleyes: Oh by the way they sell computer desks :D Honest!