Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
Soon after purchasing a PowerMac (and either Logic 6 or a Pro Tools system) I will be in the market for a pair of active monitors. At the moment I'm contemplating either the Yamaha MSP5s or the Alesis Monitor 1 MkIIs. I was just wonder whether anyone out there in the field of music production has had experience with either of these monitors and whether you could provide any information regarding your experiences/opinions. (I realise these are not the monitors you would find in your typical profesional studio. So as you've no doubt gathered, I am looking towards the budget side.) The Edirol MA-20D monitors are also, an even more budget friendly, possibility.

Details:

Alesis Monitor MkII (Actives) - http://alesis.com/products/monitor1_mk2/

Yamaha MSP5 - http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...CTID%3D229300%26VNM%3DLIVE%26AFLG%3DY,00.html

Edirol MA-20D - http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ma20d.html

(I apologize if this thread does not exactly belong in this forum. Posting in any other wouldn't have seemed as appropriate.)

Thanks,
Will

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
I'd recomend the Alesis, i have a pair of (passive) Monitor 2 Mid-Field Monitors running off a Samson Servo 500 Amp and the sound quality is bar none.

I was originally in the market for a pair of near field monitors such as from HHB's or the Spirit Absolute's Series, however after comparing them for listening quality at a shop in london called Turnkey, the Alesis jumped right out at me for the sheer clarity of the mid-range - which in my opinion the other makes clearly lacked.

I suggest trying to demo the varoius choices in your price range with a cd you love and know well.

The Yamaha are also a good choice as they are descendents of the NS10 - which were used in nearly everly pro environment for about 8 years - for their flat response, and being as close to conventional hi-fi speakers in terms of end user listening.

wuntrikpony

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2003
Michigan what
I would definitly reccomend another brand.

A Canadian based company Yorkville makes a very good line of near-field studio monitors. I bought a pair of their YMSP-1 speakers and have been very impressed. They produce a very true to life flat frequency sound that gives lets you know how things really sound.

thepannist

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
NHT Pro

I have a pair of NHT Pro A-10's, and I absolutely love them. They are back ordered everywhere, so getting a pair might be tough. The lower model (00-5????) are also really great when combined with the sub.

You should definitely check out NHT Pro stuff.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Do yourself a favour and check out Dynaudio BM6a nearfields, they're a little more expensive than the speakers you describe but they are sensational studio monitors.

We have Dynaudios in many of our main studios, and I've been using them for 10 years, and speaking professionally they are accurate, powerful and they don't require a sub at close quarters.

http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com

Spend the money, you won't regret it.

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
I've never heard of these manufacturers before (Yorkville, NHT Pro, Dynaudio)... So I've got a bit of research to do.

Thanks for the input! :)

Will

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
Originally posted by WinterMute
Do yourself a favour and check out Dynaudio BM6a nearfields, they're a little more expensive than the speakers you describe but they are sensational studio monitors.

We have Dynaudios in many of our main studios, and I've been using them for 10 years, and speaking professionally they are accurate, powerful and they don't require a sub at close quarters.

http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com

Spend the money, you won't regret it.
I really wasn't looking to spend that much. From what I'vee seen the BM6A, which are the bottom of the line Dynaudio monitors, range from about $1,544USD - $1,699.00USD. I am reading good things about them, though (http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/1997_articles/mar97/dynaudiobm6a.html). So I'll keep them in mind... As you said, spending that extra cash will probably pay-off.

Thanks

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I use Event active bi-amped 8" monitors (Project Studio 8). They aren't top-end but they rock the house and they're pretty accurate. They're a good cost, too - I think I paid around $800 for the pair, but you can find them for less.

As for the question of Logic vs PT, what are you trying to accomplish? What instruments are you recording? Do you want to sequence with MIDI? What level of production?

Also - do you have any recording/production experience? What tools? As much feedback as possible will help determine which platform will meet your needs.

Dan

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Originally posted by iWantAMac
I really wasn't looking to spend that much. From what I'vee seen the BM6A, which are the bottom of the line Dynaudio monitors, range from about $1,544USD - $1,699.00USD. I am reading good things about them, though (http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/1997_articles/mar97/dynaudiobm6a.html). So I'll keep them in mind... As you said, spending that extra cash will probably pay-off.

Thanks

The BM6a's are the bottom active model, although there are passive BM6's, as well as a BM5 model.

Sure they are expensive, but you get what you pay for with monitors.

Stay away from the Alesis speakers, they are far too coloured to be considered monitors.

Also, check out the KRK speaker range.

Both companies design for the Pro market, and adhere to the rules of monitor design. Flat, accurate and loud.:D

D.W

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2003
Toronto, Canada
iWantaMac, i want a 17"Powerbook..just playing, your looking for a set of speakers, I also agree with WinterMute on the Dynaudios. The reproductions on those monitors are very very clear at all levels of sound. I had a chance to listen to them with, jazz,hip hip, R&B, House, Ballads my own production,(yeah I spend a long time at the music store) and heard things that I couldn't hear at home. The sound was crisp and clear through each range. So my first choice would be the Dynaudios (if cash isn't a problem). My 2nd choice for budget would be the Yorkville YSM1p which are their powered monitors. These speakers also reproduce a clear sound across the board. I actually like them over the Tannoy Reveal Active and Alesis monitors. Definitely get to a shop and start listening to the different speakers. Do it more than once. You'll be surprised how something can sound different once you've given your ears a break. Good luck on your purchase.

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
Originally posted by alset
I use Event active bi-amped 8" monitors (Project Studio 8). They aren't top-end but they rock the house and they're pretty accurate. They're a good cost, too - I think I paid around $800 for the pair, but you can find them for less.

As for the question of Logic vs PT, what are you trying to accomplish? What instruments are you recording? Do you want to sequence with MIDI? What level of production?

Also - do you have any recording/production experience? What tools? As much feedback as possible will help determine which platform will meet your needs.

Dan
Yes, I have heard good things about the Event PS series, mainly from people who have them.
Unfortunately, no, I have no production experience what so ever. I have been scratching (djing) for about three years (so I have experience with mixing, etc) - So going on from that... This is me basically wanting to go up to the next level, production.

I'm not sure if I can properly answer your question regarding the whole Logic vs. Pro Tools thing, but I'll see what I can do...
As I mentioned, I have been DJing for a few years. The kinds of projects I will be looking at taking on (initially) will just be making my own tracks using the equipment I already have, composing them enitrely of scratched audio. <<< This is why I initailly thought Pro Tools would be better for me, because, from what people say, it's audio editing capabilities far exceed that of any other sequencer currently on the market.

Before I go any further with trying to explain what I will be doing, can I ask whether you are at all familiar with the whole 'scratch' thing?... The last thing I want to sound is condescending, but it will be very hard for me to explain it to you without making myself look like an idiot if you are not (the slightest bit) familiar with the scratch/hiphop dj scene.

Oh, and Yes, I will definitely want to sequence with MIDI. But not straight away as I will not have to equipment to do so.

Originally posted by WinterMute
The BM6a's are the bottom active model, although there are passive BM6's, as well as a BM5 model.

Sure they are expensive, but you get what you pay for with monitors.

Stay away from the Alesis speakers, they are far too coloured to be considered monitors.

Also, check out the KRK speaker range.

Both companies design for the Pro market, and adhere to the rules of monitor design. Flat, accurate and loud.:D
Points taken. Yeah, I've seen and heard about the KRKs... They also seem to get very good reviews. I forgot to mention them in my original post (specifically the V4s & V6s (possibly the V8s. But that would be pushing it a little as I've decided to get the monitors before I buy my Mac... So I don't want to spend too much on monitors, leaving me with too little for the Mac I want)).

Originally posted by D.W
iWantaMac, i want a 17"Powerbook..just playing, your looking for a set of speakers, I also agree with WinterMute on the Dynaudios. The reproductions on those monitors are very very clear at all levels of sound. I had a chance to listen to them with, jazz,hip hip, R&B, House, Ballads my own production,(yeah I spend a long time at the music store) and heard things that I couldn't hear at home. The sound was crisp and clear through each range. So my first choice would be the Dynaudios (if cash isn't a problem). My 2nd choice for budget would be the Yorkville YSM1p which are their powered monitors. These speakers also reproduce a clear sound across the board. I actually like them over the Tannoy Reveal Active and Alesis monitors. Definitely get to a shop and start listening to the different speakers. Do it more than once. You'll be surprised how something can sound different once you've given your ears a break. Good luck on your purchase.
Thanks, D.W. Its good to know the Dynaudios sound good with Hip Hop :D . But they're just such a big leap (price wise) from the rest of the monitors within and slightly above my preferable price range (KRK V8s being above my preferably price range).

I plan on taking a trip down to one of the stores in my area and having a listen to a CD I'm very familiar with on a range of monitors to give me a better idea of just what I'm dealing with.

Again, thanks, guys. I appreciate it. And if anyone has anything else to add, don't hold back!

Will

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
(specifically the V4s & V6s (possibly the V8s. But that would be pushing it a little as I've decided to get the monitors before I buy my Mac... So I don't want to spend too much on monitors, leaving me with too little for the Mac I want)).
Is that the reason for the lack of replies to my post? ;)

D.W

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Is that the reason for the lack of replies to my post? ;)

I highly doubt it. This is something that is daunting because there is so much to choice from and everyone will have a "favorite" speaker which sounds great with the music they like. That's why I suggest you make an afternoon of it and head to the music store armed with tracks you know and love. Listen for clarity in the music. You might know that you should hear chimes or low bass, but the monitor doesn't reproduce it properly or even cancels out that sound. As for the whole scratching thing, I do it as well. As far as I'm concerned, yeah Pro Tools is considered "industry standard" (unless WinterMute wants to confirm) but you can get just as much out of Steinberg Cubase/SX/Nuendo (midi based/midi & audio/ audio) all the programs do the same thing, it's just that one is considered stronger in that field than the other. Once you play with them you will find that it comes down to ease of use and comfortability using the system.

D.W

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm now getting to the point where reading stuff on the net is getting a little repetative. All sequencers can do the same thing. I guess I just have to experiment and find out which one I find easier, more productive, and more enjoyable to use.

You scratch!... Club DJ type of scratching, or REAL scratching? :D ;)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Hey, Logic user here as well. I had the Alesis M1 actives at one time, and while not totally thrilled with them they performed well. Have you looked into KRK at all? They have a new line of smaller powered monitors that I think are great. At home I'm now using Blueroom Minipods and I can't sing enough praise for these speakers. Although they are sort of marketed as hi-fi equipment they offer the flattest response I've ever heard, or not heard actually;) I went to a high-end gallery here in NYC and I brought some of my mixes and some artsist tracks that I know really well and these things PERFORMED. I almost plunked down $600 for them right there but decided to check the web for prices. Well, I wound up with a brand new pair, with accesories for $180!!! Even got to pick my color. There is a guy on ebay from Canada who gets magical deals from the UK. I'm powering them with a TEAC Reference series power amp and like I said, I'm thrilled with this setup. It's not gonna shake the paint off the walls but for my small home studio it's been a dream. If you get a chance try some out!
http://www.minipods.com

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
ProTools is the de facto industry standard, but generally in it's TDM/HD format which currently starts around £10K, at the LE end, PT has a lot of competition from Logic and Digital Performer, and to a lesser extent Cubase SX.

I use Logic as a front-end to an HD-2 hardware system (cos I can, OK?) and I get the best of MIDI and audio combined. If I'm recording straightmulti-tracked audio, I'll use ProTools exclusively, but the MIDI implementation on PT isn't as good as the sequencer based suites. (I've yet to use PT 6, we're upgrading in the summer)

I can't recommend Logic highly enough for general composition/production work, it's a marvel, the soft synth/sampler combinations alone make it worth the price.

I've played with logic 6 ina beta form, and we are expecting the upgrades soon (over 50 of them) I think its a great step forward, and I'm really happy eMagic belong to Apple.

I also use Reason as a sketchpad, and will be a real happy bunny when I can reWire the mixer back to the Logic mixer and use the Reason modules as soft synths within Logic again...:D

As yousay, in the end they all do the same thing, and the music you make is more important than the system you use to make it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.