PDA

View Full Version : iPod Season Coming?

MacRumors
Aug 24, 2006, 11:08 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Businessweek provides (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2006/tc20060823_726985.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_more+of+today%27s+top+stories) speculation that iPod updates are looming in the next few months, and summarizes hints we have heard over the past few months.

CFO Peter Oppenheimer's during Apple's earnings conference responded to speculation about an iPod Phone with: "We don't think the phones that are available today make the best music players. We think the iPod is. But over time that's likely to change, and we aren't sitting around doing nothing"

This led some analysts to believe that Apple would release an iPod-phone very soon.

Indeed, Lions Gate Films CEO stated that Apple (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060817153415.shtml) was planning on launching movie sales on iTunes by the end of this calendar year. The movie-component to iTunes has been rumored to be launched alongside a new video iPod.

Finally, Apple has not updated the iPod line in many months. The last major revision to the top-end iPod was October 2005 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/10/20051012142445.shtml).

Analysts generally agree: There's no way Apple is going to sit out the fall quarter. "Don't confuse silence with having nothing to say," says analyst Michael Gartenberg at Jupiter Research. "That has never been the case with Apple."

~Shard~
Aug 24, 2006, 11:10 AM
Nothing earth shattering here. As the article states, this has been expected for some time now. Plus, iPods are due for an update anyway.

The question will be, which of the rumors that have been floating around will be true? ;)

If the Lions Gate rumors surrounding the iTMS movie store are true, than one would think Apple would do some serious upgrading/redesigning to the current video iPod to take advanatge of this (i.e. wide screen, etc.)

Buschmaster
Aug 24, 2006, 11:10 AM
Probaby something sweet with the iPod and a bump in size with the Nano.

Nothing terribly fantastic, right?

stormj
Aug 24, 2006, 11:12 AM
I was always surprised at the rumors suggesting the new ipod at WWDC. You don't bring out a new product before labor day if you want to sell at xmas as the saying goes.

zap2
Aug 24, 2006, 11:12 AM
Good.. i'm dieing from this wait...Nintendo hasn't giving me anything about Wii and its price/release date yet, and the Apple stuff has slowed, logicly, with intel switch being Apple's top job. Now i want feature films on iTunes, along with a touch screen iPod, a new Nano and a new Shuffle(heck the Shuffle is about 18month old!)

~Shard~
Aug 24, 2006, 11:14 AM
Probaby something sweet with the iPod and a bump in size with the Nano.

Yeah, hopefully something significant with the iPod in the video department and then a capacity increase with the Nano - I think that one is a definite. :cool:

vendettabass
Aug 24, 2006, 11:15 AM
awesome!! the cash is waiting!!

Zwhaler
Aug 24, 2006, 11:16 AM
Ugh the wait will finally be over. Can't wait :)

emotion
Aug 24, 2006, 11:17 AM
Y'know I find it extremely hard to believe that Apple would front up to the big players in the phone market (Nokia, SE, Moto) and bring out a phone. It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe an ipod with some kind of ichat client built in (that can also do texting) and a bluetooth connection to the phone people already have? Now that I can believe.

Cinch
Aug 24, 2006, 11:19 AM
:confused:

I think they should refrain from adding to the eternal rumor flame that MacRumors and others are keeping alive. I think they should go back to reading dry 10-K filings. We'll all benefit if they stick to what they know best.

Cinch

bob_hearn
Aug 24, 2006, 11:22 AM
Personally, I couldn't care less about a phone + iPod. But I do wish Apple would hurry up and ship a phone... I refuse to use cell phones, on the grounds that they all suck. An Apple-designed phone is long overdue.

amac4me
Aug 24, 2006, 11:22 AM
Another tidbit to fuel the speculation:

Massive Flash orders hint at new iPod

According to Digitimes, Apple has just ordered large quantities of flash memory from Samsung and Hynix: twice as much as what was purchased during April-July. This strongly suggests an increase in the iPod's capacity.

Apple is such a major player in the market of flash memory that this kind of massive order actually has a significant effect on the price of this component

link (http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-08-24/#5844)

Overall it makes sense for Apple to release new products prior to the 2006 holiday shopping season. I'll bet we see new iPods and updates to the MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac as well.

Ktulu
Aug 24, 2006, 11:23 AM
My gut instinct is Apple will release the, now infamous, true video iPod-(widescreen, touch controls, etc.). how ever I think it will come in a 60GB form only.

They already have the drives, so this would enable them to test the waters during the Christmas season with existing materials. If they sell out-(which they probably will), sometime around MW '07, probably after it, a size increase to the line will occur.

Just my thoughts.:rolleyes:

Superdrive
Aug 24, 2006, 11:23 AM
Apple would be dumb not to have a new line out in time for Christmas. That said, their current offerings on the top end are still somewhat competitive. People are still snatching up 5G iPods like no other despite the number of people on here who are waiting. Also, this could be a good thing for Apple considering the attention they were getting for rolling out a new iPod every two weeks.

gugy
Aug 24, 2006, 11:24 AM
before end of October the new Ipod will be here.
I hope a widescreen video ipod, 120gb, physical scrolling wheel, some way to add data on the road without a computer and voice record capability.

iMikeT
Aug 24, 2006, 11:24 AM
I think the wait we are all experiencing is due to the fact that the movie companies are a little hesitant about digital distribution.

I can't wait for the true iPod Video.

cloudnine
Aug 24, 2006, 11:30 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRING!!!

How many more "articles" do we need stating "the ipod hasn't been revised in yadda yadda long", "ipod updates soon", "check out these mockups that readers have posted" and blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda?

Surely with WWDC over now, isn't there anything better that we can talk about?

emotion
Aug 24, 2006, 11:31 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRING!!!

How many more "articles" do we need stating "the ipod hasn't been revised in yadda yadda long", "ipod updates soon", "check out these mockups that readers have posted" and blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda?

Surely with WWDC over now, isn't there anything better that we can talk about?

If it's so dull why did you click on the link and post?

:)

(I kinda agree with you though)

KingYaba
Aug 24, 2006, 11:32 AM
iPods shall be released during, of after thanksgiving weekend. :) Perfect time when everyone goes crazy crazy.

iMikeT
Aug 24, 2006, 11:32 AM
Another thing.... I would love to get a free iPod nano along with the purchase of a new Mac (education deal) but here are a couple of reasons why I am holding out:

1) I'm waiting for a Core 2 Duo update in the current Mac line.

2) I already know that even if I wait for the deadline of the education deal (September 16), Apple will announce the new iPod line not too long after.

blueflame
Aug 24, 2006, 11:33 AM
NO DUH a new ipod is coming out. whether ir not its a phone is the only real rumor.
andreas

mdntcallr
Aug 24, 2006, 11:36 AM
i smell a big tide of change at apple.

not only the video ipods. ipod cell phones. ( i would really love a treo replacement with full Ipod & PDA ability!!)

but HDTV content via itunes as well. Apple isnt just readying content for the small screen, but will also offer HD content for bigger screens as well)

perhaps in the fall or spring models which can drive contect secure via HDMI to televisions for full HDTV use as well. which would be awesome. (hoping apple comes out with LCD and plasma tv's at 1080P with integrated speakers, it is time apple upgrades the display options)

What people don't know is that Apple has been asking for HDTV masters for TV shows, and the upcoming movies from the tv and hollywood studios.

The upcoming movie launch will be a precurser to larger things to come. even if HD content doesnt come in the fall. It is coming. Apple is planning on it already.

Apple will make 2007 the year of making apple into a true media center for gaming and video content.

It's not just music at Itunes, and the fall and upcoming year will definitely make this other content core to their strategy to showcase Macintosh vs the rest.

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 24, 2006, 11:44 AM
Y'know I find it extremely hard to believe that Apple would front up to the big players in the phone market (Nokia, SE, Moto) and bring out a phone. It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe an ipod with some kind of ichat client built in (that can also do texting) and a bluetooth connection to the phone people already have? Now that I can believe.
I disagree.
Apple need to implement phone capabilities in the iPods as soon as possible. camera/GPS/phone/mp3/pda will all converge to one gadget. People just dont want to carry around a utilitybelt full of electronical gadgets.

Clive At Five
Aug 24, 2006, 11:47 AM
One look at the "buyer's guide" chart will tell us that. This is the longest time period between iPod updates in history. One might conclude that sometime in the next 90 days Apple will release an iPod.

So I think I speak for us all when I say, "DUH."

Having a slow news day? Why not take the MacRumors way out: Headline something we already know!

Popular choices:

1) Mac market share is growing
2) iPod will arrive before the end of 2006
3) Windows Vista bites a big one

Lastly add the classic, "PiperJaffray (or insert your favorite investment firm) reiterates a Buy rating on APPL with a target price of $99." Now you have your very own MacRumors slow-news-day article.

Don't forget to add spelling and grammatical errors for that real MacRumors authenticity.

By the way, I'm curious, MacRumors, what sort of algorithm are you using for that Buyer's guide? It seems pretty... simple. I could help you set up a system that analyzes trend data to come up with an imminence scale that's more accurate. It seems as though yours flips to "Do not buy!" once it's about to reach the average cycle length. That's not a good measure. PM me if you're interested.

-Clive

iGary
Aug 24, 2006, 11:48 AM
They need to do something in the next few weeks. Thanksgiving is early this year...

crees!
Aug 24, 2006, 11:50 AM
Another tidbit to fuel the speculation:

Massive Flash orders hint at new iPod

According to Digitimes, Apple has just ordered large quantities of flash memory from Samsung and Hynix: twice as much as what was purchased during April-July. This strongly suggests an increase in the iPod's capacity.

Apple is such a major player in the market of flash memory that this kind of massive order actually has a significant effect on the price of this component

link (http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-08-24/#5844)

Overall it makes sense for Apple to release new products prior to the 2006 holiday shopping season. I'll bet we see new iPods and updates to the MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac as well.

Yea.. thanks for that direct link to Digitimes. It was great.
Here's the link. Digitimes Article (http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060821PR205.html)

mwswami
Aug 24, 2006, 11:52 AM
iPods shall be released during, of after thanksgiving weekend. :) Perfect time when everyone goes crazy crazy.Xmas quarter last year was a record quarter for Apple with 14 Million iPods sold. They will be looking to better this. I predict that new iPods, specially the lower end (shuffle, nano, ..), will be announced earlier in the quarter. Waiting till thanksgiving may be too late to surpass 14M.

CANEHDN
Aug 24, 2006, 11:55 AM
It's obvious they are waiting as long as they can for the "iPod Killers" to surface for the holidays. That way no one can copy Apple for this holiday season. They will continue to rein supreme.

wmmk
Aug 24, 2006, 11:56 AM
how about a true video iPhone?!:D
what's the most memory a cell phone has ever had, a gig or two? man, 60 gigs would be amazing. with an on-screen pop up qwerty keyboard, you'd have a real ultraportable with a focus on media and phone stuff. you could even use the phone service for safari mini!
:)
we can only hope

ifjake
Aug 24, 2006, 12:03 PM
i think you mean "Fall Season".

Chris Bangle
Aug 24, 2006, 12:03 PM
The ipods 5th birthday is very important, but so was Apple's 30th. I just hope by October something big happens. I know they are completly unrelated but Apple and ipod has a lot of competition from the -£170 wii. Ok the ipods will be touchscreen and you can watch films on them, but a wii is soooo much more fun. So apple need to do something quick.

hondaboy945
Aug 24, 2006, 12:04 PM
I just don't think that if Apple updates the display line as mentioned earlier in this post, I don't think that they will be plasma. I think that they will stick to LCD (hopefully 1080p or even 1080i would be fine) with built in cameralikeall of the rest of the new macs. Sorry for th little off-topic but what can you do.

Stridder44
Aug 24, 2006, 12:06 PM
An iPod/iPhone (aka iPhone that plays music) would be nifty, but what Im really looking forward to? A real iPod update. So let's see those next gen. iPods!

~Shard~
Aug 24, 2006, 12:08 PM
I think the timing on this has worked out well for Apple. No iPod updates in a while has allowed them to focus on the Intel transition and Leopard a little more most likely, and it has also allowed for demand to increase. If Apple were releasing iPod iPod updates every month or two, it would kind of lose its emphasis, and the public might react accordingly. After all, people aren't going to buy new iPods every couple months - it has to end somewhere. But now, since there hasn't been an update in quite a while, there is pent up demand and I think more people will be likely to buy or upgrade from their current iPods.

BornAgainMac
Aug 24, 2006, 12:10 PM
iPod Vista. Waiting and Waiting..

The Grood
Aug 24, 2006, 12:14 PM
How about borrowing the 'flip open' design of the nokia communicator:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4142007

A normal iPod on the outside. A widescreen true video iPod on the inside.

Just a thought.

Doctor Q
Aug 24, 2006, 12:17 PM
Probaby something sweet with the iPod and a bump in size with the Nano.It's funny to note that a "bump in size" could mean increased storage capacity but, as far as physical dimensions go, a "bump in size" might be to make it smaller!

balamw
Aug 24, 2006, 12:23 PM
Sounds thick, like the Nokia.

B

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 24, 2006, 12:27 PM
How about borrowing the 'flip open' design of the nokia communicator:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4142007

Just a thought.
It won't happen. Steve hates movable parts. Besides, I doubt that Ives will reinvent the flip-phone.

KindredMAC
Aug 24, 2006, 12:30 PM
Wow.... Business Week says that iPods are coming within the next few months... That's some REAL insight there.

Hold the iPhone ;) everyone.... I have some insight....
The iMacs, MacBook Pros and Mac minis are having updates within the next few months!!!!!

Come on... this gets filed in the "No ***** Sherlock" folder in my circular filing cabinet.

And if Apple actually DOES release an iPhone or iPod Phone sometime in the next 12 months, I will print out this posting, eat it, take pictures of me eating it and post them up on here. I think an Apple iPhone is a waste of resources and technology.

Apple is an innovator, not a follower. LG has just brought out a very cool phone while Motorola has been misspelling the names of their phones for over a year.

Just bring out a true vPod that is nothing but screen and I will be tickled Magenta!

RichP
Aug 24, 2006, 12:30 PM
I wonder what typical ipod usage is by different people. For me, the ipod is either:

-plugged into the car
-plugged into a stereo/radio

I dont use it with headphones all that much. Therefore, an iPod phone would serve me no good; I wonder how common my usage patterns are to others, and whehter such patterns are shaping wher the ipod is going.

twoodcc
Aug 24, 2006, 12:33 PM
well i would bet that Apple will release something

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 24, 2006, 12:34 PM
And if Apple actually DOES release an iPhone or iPod Phone sometime in the next 12 months, I will print out this posting, eat it, take pictures of me eating it and post them up on here. I think an Apple iPhone is a waste of resources and technology.
you better make sure you have the camera and printer then... ;)

mmmcheese
Aug 24, 2006, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't expect to see anything new until the "free nano" deal ends for educational buyers....I would think within a few weeks after that though...that way there's just enough time to get everyone excited for a release before American Thanksgiving so that the crazy Christmas shopping season is in full swing and the new product flies off the shelf.

mmmcheese
Aug 24, 2006, 12:41 PM
...the new...Apple Zen!

wowowowanimac!!
Aug 24, 2006, 12:45 PM
I hope apple comes out with a new ipod soon because i might end up switching to an archos.... even if they do come out with a new ipod i might still go with archos because of dvr capabilities..........

Eraserhead
Aug 24, 2006, 12:47 PM
...the new...Apple Zen!

well that $100 million had to buy something ;)

SLCentral
Aug 24, 2006, 01:04 PM

not only the video ipods. ipod cell phones. ( i would really love a treo replacement with full Ipod & PDA ability!!)

but HDTV content via itunes as well. Apple isnt just readying content for the small screen, but will also offer HD content for bigger screens as well)

perhaps in the fall or spring models which can drive contect secure via HDMI to televisions for full HDTV use as well. which would be awesome. (hoping apple comes out with LCD and plasma tv's at 1080P with integrated speakers, it is time apple upgrades the display options)

What people don't know is that Apple has been asking for HDTV masters for TV shows, and the upcoming movies from the tv and hollywood studios.

The upcoming movie launch will be a precurser to larger things to come. even if HD content doesnt come in the fall. It is coming. Apple is planning on it already.

Apple will make 2007 the year of making apple into a true media center for gaming and video content.

It's not just music at Itunes, and the fall and upcoming year will definitely make this other content core to their strategy to showcase Macintosh vs the rest.

I know this is rather rude, but that was honestly one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen written on MacRumors. First of all, the bandwith necessities for Apple to provide non-compressed HD content is HUGE. Second of all, if they were to compress (using h.264, no doubt), most computers wouldn't be able to handle the stream. Look at the Apple line. Other then the G5, no models that don't have Intel chips can run 1080i smoothly, let alone 1080p. Trust me, I'd know. I had a 1.67GHz PowerBook with a gig of RAM, and it couldn't get through a 1080i clip. Considering that's the fastest G4 ever released by Apple (excluding third-party chips, of course), and it couldn't play 1080i, you'd have to figure that at least 90% of the Mac world can't play it either. Apple isn't this stupid. I won't even begin as to how much of the PC market won't be able to power it.

Next, for HD clips on iPods, to get a benefit out of it, the screen would have to be an EXTREMELY high resolution. We're talking at least 1280x720 on such a small size. Pretty much impossible to make, with a price tag that would be considered acceptable. Rule that out. That means the download of an HD clip would entitle the user to download a non-HD clip of the same item. More bandwith for Apple. More files for consumers to have to deal with. Cumbersome.

Regarding HDMI connectivity for an iPod, yes, that would be nice. At least Component Cables is something I'd like to see. But without an HD source, no matter what cables being used, the quality just won't be HD. Since a 2-hour movie in a uncompressed HD source is at least 10GB, and even h.264 gives some pretty damn big files (just look at the movie trailers over at Apple. 150MB+ for a 3 minute clip), which means you'd need a GIANT hard drive to store all of these clips. There goes the 30GB iPod. I realize Seagate is now shipping their 120GB drive. Even that would only hold 10 non-compressed movies. It just doesn't add up with this state of technology. I love HD as much as the next guy does, and I'd LOVE to see it in a iPod, but the power, battery life, or bandwith simply isn't here yet.

And regarding the plasma displays with built in speakers, all I have to say is why? The 23" and 30" displays both are FULL HD compliant, and any other TV would connect to an Apple system just fine. Just because it is Apple does not mean it's the best product out there. Trust me when I say that you'd be far better off with a Pioneer, Panasonic, or Samsung plasma. They've been in the industry for YEARS, and they know what they are doing much more so then Apple does in this industry. And as for integrated speakers, why on earth would you spend upwards of $3K on a TV and use built-in speakers? That's just plain dumb.
IMO, that is ;).

jaxstate
Aug 24, 2006, 01:06 PM
Please, no iPod phone, what we need is a Apple Smartphone!

dizastor
Aug 24, 2006, 01:26 PM
iPod season! sweet.

I'll have to get my shotgun ready.

Eidorian
Aug 24, 2006, 01:28 PM
iPod season! sweet.

I'll have to get my shotgun ready.I was about to say the same thing. I'm glad I sold the Nano that I got free after rebate. Not that it's a bad little player, I just want something new.

Proud Liberal
Aug 24, 2006, 01:49 PM
I think an Apple iPhone is a waste of resources and technology.

Apple is an innovator, not a follower.

I couldn't agree more w/the 1st sentence. But I disagree w/the 2nd sentence, as it relates to MP3 player/iPods. Apple was NOT the "innovator" of MP3 players...the PJB-100 HDD MP3 player came out in 1999 (IIRC); Apple were somewhat slow to market w/the iPod in 2001, but they made MP3 players "hip" and simplified what was already out there. That's not innovation - it's "refining what already exists". Just my 2 cents for the day...

Jetson
Aug 24, 2006, 01:51 PM
I'm looking forward to Apple's new iPod offerings. However, in addition to whatever new whiz-bang innovations Apple comes up with, I'd like them to first fix some rather annoying problems with their current product:

Develop a durable, scratch-resistant finish for the iPod. Prior to the introduction of the Nano, the iPods never had the kind of unusually easy to scratch problem as they have with the current lineup.
Provide gapless playback between tracks when playing albums.
Improve the smoothness of skipping forward to the next track or back to a previous track. Sometimes music data doesn't get cleared out of the buffer and extraneous bits of music plays back.
Improve the robustness of the processor - navigating through screens can be a bit sluggish.
If I don't want the operation of my computer to effect the iPod while it's resting in the dock, I have to disconnect it from the computer. Somehow the system isn't smart enough to know that I don't want to start up iTunes to sync the iPod whenever I restart the Mac.
Increase the amount of space available to notes.

I'm sure others have additional issues with their iPods. These are relatively minor problems, but they do detract from the perfect experience that we all want to enjoy with our iPods.

Porchland
Aug 24, 2006, 02:03 PM

I agree with a whole lot of what you're saying, but I think bandwidth is going to be a huge issue. It already takes too long to download a below-SD quality 40-minute TV episode. SD quality would take longer and HD quality would take a LOT longer on standard broadband connections.

One solution woudl be for Apple to work out a deal with one or more of the cable companies for Apple to produce a Mac mini set-top box that can access on-demand content.

PygmySurfer
Aug 24, 2006, 02:03 PM
I wonder what typical ipod usage is by different people. For me, the ipod is either:

-plugged into the car
-plugged into a stereo/radio

I dont use it with headphones all that much. Therefore, an iPod phone would serve me no good; I wonder how common my usage patterns are to others, and whehter such patterns are shaping wher the ipod is going.

So, you couldn't plug an iPod Phone into your car or your stereo?

Porchland
Aug 24, 2006, 02:12 PM
Xmas quarter last year was a record quarter for Apple with 14 Million iPods sold. They will be looking to better this. I predict that new iPods, specially the lower end (shuffle, nano, ..), will be announced earlier in the quarter. Waiting till thanksgiving may be too late to surpass 14M.

Quarterly sales measurement is the reason iPods refreshed in October last year.

Isn't there supposed to be gi-normous Bob Dylan digital box set coming out? This coming Tuesday is the release date for his new album, which Apple is already promoting as a pre-order. Seems like I recall the U2 and Madonna box being announced at iPod launches.

pilotError
Aug 24, 2006, 02:36 PM
Other then the G5, no models that don't have Intel chips can run 1080i smoothly, let alone 1080p.

Looks like you'll have to upgrade when it does get released. I know Steve just hates it when you upgrade. :D

Just being a wise guy - seriously, Apple has to move forward, and some older tech is going to be left behind.

I would expect the full video iPod w/ 120gb drive.

thejadedmonkey
Aug 24, 2006, 02:46 PM
I'm looking forward to Apple's new iPod offerings. However, in addition to whatever new whiz-bang innovations Apple comes up with, I'd like them to first fix some rather annoying problems with their current product:

Develop a durable, scratch-resistant finish for the iPod. Prior to the introduction of the Nano, the iPods never had the kind of unusually easy to scratch problem as they have with the current lineup.
Provide gapless playback between tracks when playing albums.
Improve the smoothness of skipping forward to the next track or back to a previous track. Sometimes music data doesn't get cleared out of the buffer and extraneous bits of music plays back.
Improve the robustness of the processor - navigating through screens can be a bit sluggish.
If I don't want the operation of my computer to effect the iPod while it's resting in the dock, I have to disconnect it from the computer. Somehow the system isn't smart enough to know that I don't want to start up iTunes to sync the iPod whenever I restart the Mac.
Increase the amount of space available to notes.

I'm sure others have additional issues with their iPods. These are relatively minor problems, but they do detract from the perfect experience that we all want to enjoy with our iPods.
3 of the 6 things you listed aren't a problem with the older iPods (4th gen and earlier). I don't have a 5th gen one, but from the sounds of it, perhaps apple should work on refining what they have rather than adding more crap (such as the color screen) that slows it down.

and yes, a color screen will slow it down (due to more code needed to make the OS color) eat up battery, and be useless while listening to music.

I just want something nice looking. The 3rd gen and mini were the last iPods to be unique (IMO) let's get something new apple!

p0intblank
Aug 24, 2006, 03:11 PM
Real iPod video by the holidays? I certainly hope so! :) They're guaranteed to sell like crazy.

HecubusPro
Aug 24, 2006, 04:22 PM
I'm hoping that the Merom MBP's will come out before the iPod rebate ends in September so I can sell the rebated iPod nano, and my current iPod video in the further hopes that an even better/real/widescreen iPod video will be coming out soon, because I'm there!:cool:

Sean7512
Aug 24, 2006, 04:31 PM
Speaking of the movie store, what ever happened to that large data center that Apple bought some time ago? Surely by now it is ready to go with movies. Anyone even remember what I'm talking about, it seems like it was AGES ago......

~Shard~
Aug 24, 2006, 05:13 PM
Speaking of the movie store, what ever happened to that large data center that Apple bought some time ago? Surely by now it is ready to go with movies. Anyone even remember what I'm talking about, it seems like it was AGES ago......

You mean this one (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=183246)? :cool:

Sean7512
Aug 24, 2006, 05:51 PM
You mean this one (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=183246)? :cool:

That would be the one :D

scoobz
Aug 24, 2006, 06:02 PM
Probably BS, but was talking to a city boy (London) recently who told me there was a new iPod coming but it was going to be Video Only... don't know how or why he would know, but sounds like something Apple would do :confused:

HecubusPro
Aug 24, 2006, 06:06 PM
Probably BS, but was talking to a city boy (London) recently who told me there was a new iPod coming but it was going to be Video Only... don't know how or why he would know, but sounds like something Apple would do :confused:

They've already proven with the first iteration of the iPod video that MP3s and movies can coexist on the same device. Why would they decide to separate them now? Seems like it would be an odd step back or sideways.:confused:

balamw
Aug 24, 2006, 06:26 PM
told me there was a new iPod coming but it was going to be Video Only...
I guess this explains the improved closed captions in QT under Leopard.

Since the new iPod is video only, i.e. doesn't make any sound, I guess we'll all have to learn to read. Great news for those who own silent movie archives! :rolleyes:

B

~Shard~
Aug 24, 2006, 07:03 PM

Yeah, not including any audio whatsoever - sounds like something Apple would do alright... :rolleyes: :p :cool:

SeaFox
Aug 24, 2006, 08:06 PM
Well of course they're going to do an iPod update now, I just bought one!

Well, not really. I bought a used 1GB Shuffle with the external battery pack on eBay yesterday. But if there was a sudden shuffle update with a smaller form factor or more battery life and available in black, I would resell and buy a new one instead.

NYmacAttack
Aug 24, 2006, 08:51 PM
Maybe they will finally bring back an iPod with a firewire connection :D

ezekielrage_99
Aug 24, 2006, 09:28 PM
I'd say it's a sure thing, it's nearly been 12 months since the last update and Apple did settle the thing with Creative very quickly.

My fingers are crossed for a new iPod for next tuesday ;)

Maybe they will finally bring back an iPod with a firewire connection :D

The Firewire iPods rocked, why did Apple kill that off :confused:

gugy
Aug 24, 2006, 10:13 PM
The Firewire iPods rocked, why did Apple kill that off :confused:
because of size. They want a thin enclosure and the firewire port is pretty thick.

I'd say it's a sure thing, it's nearly been 12 months since the last update and Apple did settle the thing with Creative very quickly.

My fingers are crossed for a new iPod for next tuesday ;)

I would say any new Ipod will come with a special event. I doubt only a Tuesday announcement will do it.
i look forward October as the time frame for that.

Lollypop
Aug 25, 2006, 01:11 AM
because of size. They want a thin enclosure and the firewire port is pretty thick.

What about the dock connector? Have the dock connector on the one end and the firewire port on the other end.. the end that plugs into the computer..... :eek:

Ive gotten a new iPod every year for my birthday, I dont care when exactly they release something new, just as long as its before the end of oktober... LOL :D

KindredMAC
Aug 25, 2006, 07:51 AM

What are you talking about???? The Dock Connector-to-Firewire was used with every iPod from Gen 3 up to just last year. The large FW port hasn't been used on the actual iPod in years.

If they are going to do full on video, Firewire needs to make a come back. I have too many USB devices already anyways.

How about true Firewire 800 capabilities if you have it???? Can you imagine how fast your iPod could get synced with that kind of raw speed and power?????? I use my FW 800 on my Power Mac G5 for my iPod but it is dumbed down to 400 max speeds.

gugy
Aug 25, 2006, 11:09 AM
guys,
I know there is a dock connector. But there are times that people are on the go and need to plug the cable direct to the ipod to recharge etc.
I love Firewire, but to keep the enclosure thin, the size of firewire cable head is a problem. Unless Apple has a new idea, I think they rather have the enclosure thin, that's why USB is a choise.
And if I am not mistaken, the fact ipod is also mostly used by PC users, that contribute a lot for USB to become the choice as well.

MacSync
Aug 25, 2006, 01:28 PM
Actually my 5G iPod will plug in just fine with my 3G firewire to dock cable. The only problem is that it only supports charging of the unit. No syncing. Due to the thickness of the 5G iPod, Apple elected to remove some of the firewire circuitry from the interior of the iPod. I'm not very happy about this. I much prefer the sync speed of my 3G through firewire.

HecubusPro
Aug 25, 2006, 01:41 PM
Well, if a bluetooth iPod were to come out soon as discussed in another rumor/thread, could we potentially move all of our data (songs, movies, tv shows) via bluetooth? Or is bluetooth just connectivity vs. data transfer?

If so, what would be the speed of a bluetooth transfer from say my MBP merom :D to my new widescreen iPod video? :D

Or is this too theoretical to even speculate about since there's no such thing as a bluetooth enabled iPod yet?

AidenShaw
Aug 25, 2006, 11:54 PM
How about true Firewire 800 capabilities if you have it???? Can you imagine how fast your iPod could get synced with that kind of raw speed and power?????? I use my FW 800 on my Power Mac G5 for my iPod but it is dumbed down to 400 max speeds.
The harddrive and flash-based Ipods are slower than USB2.0/1394a.

An FW800 Ipod wouldn't be any faster than a USB2.0 Ipod...

Chundles
Aug 26, 2006, 12:23 AM
guys,
I know there is a dock connector. But there are times that people are on the go and need to plug the cable direct to the ipod to recharge etc.
I love Firewire, but to keep the enclosure thin, the size of firewire cable head is a problem. Unless Apple has a new idea, I think they rather have the enclosure thin, that's why USB is a choise.
And if I am not mistaken, the fact ipod is also mostly used by PC users, that contribute a lot for USB to become the choice as well.

It's got zero to do with the size of the Firewire cable head, it's got to do with slimming the iPod down by eliminating the Firewire circuitry from the iPod - it was this, not the cable itself, that was taking up a good deal of room. Apple needed as much space as it could to get as big a battery as possible into the 5G iPod to allow for half-decent battery life during video playback. Creative boasts about their longer battery life but the product is twice as thick as the iPod.

It also had something to do with catering to your biggest audience - PC owners - many of whom don't have Firewire but have umpteen USB 2.0 ports on their computers.

poulon
Aug 26, 2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah Chundles knows his stuff.

I know, sad, yes so very sad but I often have short, wonderous fantasies about the true ipod video.. Goddamnit Apple hurry the hell up!

But seriously, why do you think its taking them so long to deliver the iphone, ipod video etc.? Apple wants to make sure its product works in all areas it intends it to. It waited until technology allowed a cool 30 fps on their ipod before bothering with video capabilities. Same with smaller size chips for the nano.

Anyway I like most of the other all-to-eager nerds cannot wait for an ipod update (yeah well, ipod video update..).

me354
Aug 27, 2006, 09:51 PM
apple recently posted on their store that the buy a mac get a free nano deal expires on the 16th of september ...new ipods at the expo?

gugy
Aug 27, 2006, 10:37 PM
It's got zero to do with the size of the Firewire cable head, it's got to do with slimming the iPod down by eliminating the Firewire circuitry from the iPod - it was this, not the cable itself, that was taking up a good deal of room. Apple needed as much space as it could to get as big a battery as possible into the 5G iPod to allow for half-decent battery life during video playback. Creative boasts about their longer battery life but the product is twice as thick as the iPod.

It also had something to do with catering to your biggest audience - PC owners - many of whom don't have Firewire but have umpteen USB 2.0 ports on their computers.

Sorry, I partly disagree with you. If you look at the size of the firewire input and the size of the ipod thickness, they are close. That was an issue as well as the circuitry and battery life like you mentioned.

Night Phoenix
Aug 27, 2006, 10:58 PM
apple recently posted on their store that the buy a mac get a free nano deal expires on the 16th of september ...new ipods at the expo?

I am sure that must be what is happening. Remember last year when the nano came out? There was a buy a mac, get a free iPod mini deal going on. Then right after it ended, the nano was announced.

me354
Aug 28, 2006, 11:13 AM
I am sure that must be what is happening. Remember last year when the nano came out? There was a buy a mac, get a free iPod mini deal going on. Then right after it ended, the nano was announced.
exactly what i was thinking