Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Businessweek provides speculation that iPod updates are looming in the next few months, and summarizes hints we have heard over the past few months.

CFO Peter Oppenheimer's during Apple's earnings conference responded to speculation about an iPod Phone with: "We don't think the phones that are available today make the best music players. We think the iPod is. But over time that's likely to change, and we aren't sitting around doing nothing"

This led some analysts to believe that Apple would release an iPod-phone very soon.

Indeed, Lions Gate Films CEO stated that Apple was planning on launching movie sales on iTunes by the end of this calendar year. The movie-component to iTunes has been rumored to be launched alongside a new video iPod.

Finally, Apple has not updated the iPod line in many months. The last major revision to the top-end iPod was October 2005.

Analysts generally agree: There's no way Apple is going to sit out the fall quarter. "Don't confuse silence with having nothing to say," says analyst Michael Gartenberg at Jupiter Research. "That has never been the case with Apple."

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Nothing earth shattering here. As the article states, this has been expected for some time now. Plus, iPods are due for an update anyway.

The question will be, which of the rumors that have been floating around will be true? ;)

If the Lions Gate rumors surrounding the iTMS movie store are true, than one would think Apple would do some serious upgrading/redesigning to the current video iPod to take advanatge of this (i.e. wide screen, etc.)

stormj

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
California
ipod & xmas

I was always surprised at the rumors suggesting the new ipod at WWDC. You don't bring out a new product before labor day if you want to sell at xmas as the saying goes.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Good.. i'm dieing from this wait...Nintendo hasn't giving me anything about Wii and its price/release date yet, and the Apple stuff has slowed, logicly, with intel switch being Apple's top job. Now i want feature films on iTunes, along with a touch screen iPod, a new Nano and a new Shuffle(heck the Shuffle is about 18month old!)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Buschmaster said:
Probaby something sweet with the iPod and a bump in size with the Nano.

Yeah, hopefully something significant with the iPod in the video department and then a capacity increase with the Nano - I think that one is a definite. :cool:

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Y'know I find it extremely hard to believe that Apple would front up to the big players in the phone market (Nokia, SE, Moto) and bring out a phone. It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe an ipod with some kind of ichat client built in (that can also do texting) and a bluetooth connection to the phone people already have? Now that I can believe.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
financial/security analysts are in the rumor business

:confused:

I think they should refrain from adding to the eternal rumor flame that MacRumors and others are keeping alive. I think they should go back to reading dry 10-K filings. We'll all benefit if they stick to what they know best.

Cinch

bob_hearn

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Personally, I couldn't care less about a phone + iPod. But I do wish Apple would hurry up and ship a phone... I refuse to use cell phones, on the grounds that they all suck. An Apple-designed phone is long overdue.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Also - Massive Flash orders hint at new iPod

Another tidbit to fuel the speculation:

Massive Flash orders hint at new iPod

According to Digitimes, Apple has just ordered large quantities of flash memory from Samsung and Hynix: twice as much as what was purchased during April-July. This strongly suggests an increase in the iPod's capacity.

Apple is such a major player in the market of flash memory that this kind of massive order actually has a significant effect on the price of this component

link

Overall it makes sense for Apple to release new products prior to the 2006 holiday shopping season. I'll bet we see new iPods and updates to the MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac as well.

Ktulu

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Brownstown, MI
My gut instinct is Apple will release the, now infamous, true video iPod-(widescreen, touch controls, etc.). how ever I think it will come in a 60GB form only.

They already have the drives, so this would enable them to test the waters during the Christmas season with existing materials. If they sell out-(which they probably will), sometime around MW '07, probably after it, a size increase to the line will occur.

Just my thoughts.:rolleyes:

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Apple would be dumb not to have a new line out in time for Christmas. That said, their current offerings on the top end are still somewhat competitive. People are still snatching up 5G iPods like no other despite the number of people on here who are waiting. Also, this could be a good thing for Apple considering the attention they were getting for rolling out a new iPod every two weeks.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
before end of October the new Ipod will be here.
I hope a widescreen video ipod, 120gb, physical scrolling wheel, some way to add data on the road without a computer and voice record capability.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I think the wait we are all experiencing is due to the fact that the movie companies are a little hesitant about digital distribution.

I can't wait for the true iPod Video.

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
BOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRING!!!

How many more "articles" do we need stating "the ipod hasn't been revised in yadda yadda long", "ipod updates soon", "check out these mockups that readers have posted" and blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda?

Surely with WWDC over now, isn't there anything better that we can talk about?

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
cloudnine said:
BOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRING!!!

How many more "articles" do we need stating "the ipod hasn't been revised in yadda yadda long", "ipod updates soon", "check out these mockups that readers have posted" and blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda?

Surely with WWDC over now, isn't there anything better that we can talk about?

If it's so dull why did you click on the link and post?

:)

(I kinda agree with you though)

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Another thing.... I would love to get a free iPod nano along with the purchase of a new Mac (education deal) but here are a couple of reasons why I am holding out:

1) I'm waiting for a Core 2 Duo update in the current Mac line.

2) I already know that even if I wait for the deadline of the education deal (September 16), Apple will announce the new iPod line not too long after.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
i smell a big tide of change at apple.

not only the video ipods. ipod cell phones. ( i would really love a treo replacement with full Ipod & PDA ability!!)

but HDTV content via itunes as well. Apple isnt just readying content for the small screen, but will also offer HD content for bigger screens as well)

perhaps in the fall or spring models which can drive contect secure via HDMI to televisions for full HDTV use as well. which would be awesome. (hoping apple comes out with LCD and plasma tv's at 1080P with integrated speakers, it is time apple upgrades the display options)

What people don't know is that Apple has been asking for HDTV masters for TV shows, and the upcoming movies from the tv and hollywood studios.

The upcoming movie launch will be a precurser to larger things to come. even if HD content doesnt come in the fall. It is coming. Apple is planning on it already.

Apple will make 2007 the year of making apple into a true media center for gaming and video content.

It's not just music at Itunes, and the fall and upcoming year will definitely make this other content core to their strategy to showcase Macintosh vs the rest.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
emotion said:
Y'know I find it extremely hard to believe that Apple would front up to the big players in the phone market (Nokia, SE, Moto) and bring out a phone. It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe an ipod with some kind of ichat client built in (that can also do texting) and a bluetooth connection to the phone people already have? Now that I can believe.
I disagree.
Apple need to implement phone capabilities in the iPods as soon as possible. camera/GPS/phone/mp3/pda will all converge to one gadget. People just dont want to carry around a utilitybelt full of electronical gadgets.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
slow news day?

One look at the "buyer's guide" chart will tell us that. This is the longest time period between iPod updates in history. One might conclude that sometime in the next 90 days Apple will release an iPod.

So I think I speak for us all when I say, "DUH."

Having a slow news day? Why not take the MacRumors way out: Headline something we already know!

Popular choices:

1) Mac market share is growing
2) iPod will arrive before the end of 2006
3) Windows Vista bites a big one

Lastly add the classic, "PiperJaffray (or insert your favorite investment firm) reiterates a Buy rating on APPL with a target price of $99." Now you have your very own MacRumors slow-news-day article.

Don't forget to add spelling and grammatical errors for that real MacRumors authenticity.

By the way, I'm curious, MacRumors, what sort of algorithm are you using for that Buyer's guide? It seems pretty... simple. I could help you set up a system that analyzes trend data to come up with an imminence scale that's more accurate. It seems as though yours flips to "Do not buy!" once it's about to reach the average cycle length. That's not a good measure. PM me if you're interested.

-Clive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.