Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wimic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
calgary, alberta
I bought a 20gig ipod last year. I use it a lot in my car so i purchased a Griffin Ipod car charger and an itrip for it so it can broadcast on fm frequencies.

I started experiencing problems with the car charger shortly after using it, as it seemed to overheat my ipod (similar to the way a laptop would overheat) and the ipod would just freeze up.

I stopped using the charger because the reliability and battery life of my ipod was noticably diminishing. A couple of weeks after i stopped using the charger, the hard drive in my ipod has seemed to have crashed!

I'm getting a number of error messages, some of which are:
- a folder with an exclaimation mark (!) next to it.
- an almost empty batter symbol with an exclaimation mark next to it.
- an apple that appears when my ipod trys to "reboot" itself, and then the hard drive sounds like it just shuts down.

I've tried charging the batter (both with my wall and computer adapter) and I've tried resetting it and reloading all the songs, but my laptop doesn't even seem to read the ipod when i connect it.

Has anyone had this problem before or does anyone have any advice as to how I can go about fixing it?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Wendy (aka. ipod lover!)

The Red Wolf

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
Occi Dens Pacifica
Hard Disk Failure on iPod

I've had the same thing happen to a Gen 2 20 GB iPod. It seems to be a failure of the hardrive unfortunately. Mine was about 5 years old so it held on to life for a long time without failure. The iPod was also emitting a terrible sound then just stopped. I'm not sure there is much you can do but say goodbye to a beloved friend.

wimic said:
I bought a 20gig ipod last year. I use it a lot in my car so i purchased a Griffin Ipod car charger and an itrip for it so it can broadcast on fm frequencies.

I started experiencing problems with the car charger shortly after using it, as it seemed to overheat my ipod (similar to the way a laptop would overheat) and the ipod would just freeze up.

I stopped using the charger because the reliability and battery life of my ipod was noticably diminishing. A couple of weeks after i stopped using the charger, the hard drive in my ipod has seemed to have crashed!

I'm getting a number of error messages, some of which are:
- a folder with an exclaimation mark (!) next to it.
- an almost empty batter symbol with an exclaimation mark next to it.
- an apple that appears when my ipod trys to "reboot" itself, and then the hard drive sounds like it just shuts down.

I've tried charging the batter (both with my wall and computer adapter) and I've tried resetting it and reloading all the songs, but my laptop doesn't even seem to read the ipod when i connect it.

Has anyone had this problem before or does anyone have any advice as to how I can go about fixing it?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Wendy (aka. ipod lover!)

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
by last year, i assume you mean it was early last year, thus making the warranty out of date.

You must have been using it quite a lot to make it die so quickly! My cousin still has the 1st Gen iPod, and its still running fine!

wimic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
calgary, alberta
yeah it was in april of last year (so the 1 year warranty is void).... i used it about twice a week... i think it was actually a result of the car charger that i had. it used to make it overheat (you could actually feel the ipod getting hot)

i'm not sure if i could try and go after the maker of the charger (griffin) about my ipod dying... worth a try i guess.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
wimic said:
yeah it was in april of last year (so the 1 year warranty is void).... i used it about twice a week... i think it was actually a result of the car charger that i had. it used to make it overheat (you could actually feel the ipod getting hot)

i'm not sure if i could try and go after the maker of the charger (griffin) about my ipod dying... worth a try i guess.

Forget about it and get a new iPod. Do you realize what lawyer fees will cost you going after a big corporation? It's not a class-action-lawsuit. Plus you have no evidence they were at fault.

Just move on.

wimic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
calgary, alberta
by "giving it a try" i wasn't implying that i was going to bring them to court... but i certainly could try plugging in the ipod and have them see how it overheats!

maybe they'll do something... maybe not... but if i can potentially save myself a few hundred dollars - it's worth a try.

wendy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.