PDA

View Full Version : Serious iTunes/PB burning issue!!

bb0ys
Mar 22, 2003, 07:43 PM
I just got my 12" powerbook and I love it. I've burned two cd's on it, both using iTunes. The drive inside the powerbook is an 8x CD-R burner. It should take about 10 minutes or less to burn a full cd, and it does. However, each time I burn a cd using iTunes, it says itll be less than 3 minutes until complete. However, the minutes count down very slow, and sometimes it takes up to 5 seconds for "one iTunes second" in the burner countdown to go by. It didn't do this on my 12" iBook. Anyone else have this problem or know why its doing this?

alset
Mar 23, 2003, 02:21 AM
This happens on my iBook combo drive. Maybe we should go directly to Apple.

Dan

RandomDeadHead
Mar 23, 2003, 04:36 AM
What kind of discs are you using? When burning to poor quality discs, the cd drive may have to slow down to ensure against a misburn. Also if the disc is unevenly balanced the drive will burn at a lower speed. When you first start a burn, iTunes might think that everything is ok with the disc and gives you an estimated time, only to find that it must do it slower than expected.
Another thing to think about is, what are you doing while you are burning a disc? You might be doing something that is very taxing on the hard drive, and since laptops have slower hard drives in them, the burner might have to slow down to ensure against buffer underrun.

Personaly I use TDK discs. I have found them to be the best discs readily available in my area. Being a extremly active cd trader, I have used them to trade hundreds, and hundreds of Grateful Dead shows.

So, try other brands of discs and not doing very much while burning, and if you still have problems, I would call Apple.

RandomDeadHead
Mar 23, 2003, 04:43 AM
Sorry for the double posts but I want to add something.

If you are going to be doing much burning, do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Toast titanium. I know its a little pricey but it is WELL worth the cost. After using it a couple times you will wonder how you ever got by with iTunes.

Like they say, Anything else would be uncivilized.:)

bb0ys
Mar 23, 2003, 09:43 AM
I use no name blank cd's, but have never had problems with them in any other burner inluding my iBook. The drive doesn't make abnormal noise when burning, so I don't think the cd is warped. I have Toast, but I find iTunes much more convenient to burn MP3's with. I have a feeling this is a software problem with the OS or iTunes because "alset" also has this problem with his iBook Combo-Drive (my PB also has a Combo-Drive).

What I don't understand is why would iTunes think it's only going to take 2:45 minutes to burn a 70+ minute music cd when my burners max speed is 8x. I'd rather not call apple, because it will start my 90 day phone support limit and I don't want to do that obviously (I'm buying an AppleCare plan when I save up some $$).

Maybe someone else who already has the plan can call apple about this.

It's a pretty big issue in my opinion.

chmorley
Mar 23, 2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by bb0ys
...It's a pretty big issue in my opinion. Why is that?

bb0ys
Mar 23, 2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by chmorley
Why is that?

Because it's a brand new computer using software and hardware from the same manufacturer and it is working improperly.

Another question regarding the 12" powerbook.

When I wake it from sleep, the CDRW drive makes some noises which sound like the laser-mount motor spinning, but I'm not sure. Is this normal? Does anyone else hear this when they wake their computer from sleep.