PDA

View Full Version : Apple scores very bad on guide to green electronics

MacBytes
Aug 25, 2006, 07:45 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple scores very bad on guide to green electronics (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060825084553)
Description:: This Green Electronics Guide by Greenpeace ranks leading mobile and PC manufacturers on their global policies and practice on eliminating harmful chemicals and on taking responsibility for their products once they are discarded by consumers. Companies are ranked solely on information that is publicly available.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Scarlet Fever
Aug 25, 2006, 08:02 AM
Apple really need to introuduce a recycling system for all Apple products. They have already started it in the USA, but no-where else (to my knowledge).
I've read that in the States, they give you a discount on a new iPod if you give them your old one for recycling. I called them here to ask if they would take my broken 3rd Gen iPod, and they said no discount is available, and they wouldn't even take it to recycle. I ended up leaving it at my local AppleCentre, where they put it in a bin with dozens of other broken iPods.

fixyourthinking
Aug 25, 2006, 09:01 AM
Greenpeace is going to have to stop acting like enviromentalist whackos.

The thing is ... Apple computers aren't even tossed NEARLY as much as PCs ...Apple computers are used MUCH longer than PCs ... Apple has a MUCH greater hobby/enthusiast/collector following than ANY other PC manufacturer (or maybe even electronic device manufacturer)

Eraserhead
Aug 25, 2006, 11:08 AM
Apple really need to introuduce a recycling system for all Apple products. They have already started it in the USA, but no-where else (to my knowledge).

Absolutely. They definitely should.

Sayer
Aug 25, 2006, 01:20 PM
Yes, because it's not like you can't just take an old (but working) computer and donate it to a church or school, or Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Or take an old/non-funcitonal iPod and sell it to an iPod repair company to use for parts to repair other iPods or anything.

Oh wait...

iGary
Aug 25, 2006, 01:21 PM
Who cares?

I don't.

My crap goes in the dumpster when I'm done with it. I'm serious.

Flame away.

nagromme
Aug 25, 2006, 01:54 PM
That's OK Gary, because nothing about the future or other people matters ;)

Apple (among many others) definitely needs to improve--a whole lot--and groups that bring attention to these issues do us all a vital service. And bring about real change, as we have seen.

I'll take issue, though, with the bold intro that states: "Apple, Motorola and Lenovo flunked the test to finish bottom of the class" when in fact, Acer, not Apple, is in the bottom three :)

Yes, because it's not like you can't just take an old (but working) computer and donate it to a church or school, or Goodwill or the Salvation Army.
Good point--"re-using" is better than mere "recycling."

But regardless, all computers reach the end of their useful life. And donating an old computer isn't always the grand favor we might think: they can be more trouble than they are worth--expensive to maintain and unable to do all that is needed from them. It's definitely the best first option though--especially Goodwill, Freecycle.org (http://freecycle.org) etc. where the person (hopefully!) knows what they are getting and chooses to have it.

jackc
Aug 25, 2006, 02:37 PM
I like to feed my old electronics to humpback whales. Is that wrong? They seem to like it.

Qunchuy
Aug 25, 2006, 03:04 PM
Who cares? I don't. My crap goes in the dumpster when I'm done with it. I'm serious. Flame away.
No flame. It's your choice whether or not to disregard harder but slightly more environmentally responsible options. But I will sigh and sadly shake my head because of your apathy, and because it is so common.

(My family is somewhere on the other side of the bell curve, typically recycling somewhat more than we discard in a given week.)

thegreatluke
Aug 25, 2006, 07:25 PM
I'm disappointed.

iGary
Aug 25, 2006, 07:30 PM
No flame. It's your choice whether or not to disregard harder but slightly more environmentally responsible options. But I will sigh and sadly shake my head because of your apathy, and because it is so common.

(My family is somewhere on the other side of the bell curve, typically recycling somewhat more than we discard in a given week.)

I'll be dead, who cares? :D

SPUY767
Aug 25, 2006, 07:32 PM
I poo in a compost drum, and put my old mac parts in there and rotate it 90 once a week. It makes a mean mulch. You should see my carrot garden.

SPUY767
Aug 25, 2006, 07:33 PM
I'll be dead, who cares? :D

Eventually, mother earth is going to shake us off like a bad case of pubic lice anyhow.

macnulty
Aug 25, 2006, 08:13 PM
Eventually, mother earth is going to shake us off like a bad case of pubic lice anyhow.

Does "mother earth" have a vagina?

thegreatluke
Aug 25, 2006, 09:35 PM
Does "mother earth" have a vagina?
Yes, and its name is George Bush. ;)

SemperMac
Aug 27, 2006, 02:58 AM
This really is an issue that Apple should address a.s.a.p. and by address I mean seriously with dedication as in Western Europa and the USA the - shall we call it - "Green Card" of a company is going to be immensely important for the buyers as one of the major reason for their buying decission.

Okay, there will probably also always be the price, but the tendency definately goes toward consumers expecting also a 100% working and environmentally viable recycling and producing system in ALL countries in the world where Apple IT hardware is sold and/or manufactured.

Apple thus needs to soon create themselves a state of the art "green" profile also if this maybe is going to be a costly undertaking.

The good thing in this connection is, however, that consumers actually would be willing to pay more for "green" computers so, Apple, where's the problem:
http://www.ipsos-mori.com/polls/2006/greenpeace.shtml