Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
I want to rip my CD Collection to MP3s on my mac (OS X 10.2.4) and I wanted to know a good ripping program It doesnt seem like there are any out there and suggestions....

thanks

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
:confused: How do you do it in itunes....If its through import I dont think it will let me for some reason.....

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Going on the assumption (which means I have to be wrong :), I'd venture to say that you will be using iTunes to listen to your msuic collection. Since that is true, I'd just use iTunes to rip all the CDs because they'll all go straight into iTunes and its respctive directories.

iTunes just works. It a great app.

(Sorry if you were asking for a ripping app other than iTunes, I couldn't tell from your question.)

Edit: I see you say that you are having problems with using the "import" feature. What's up?

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
WOW i feel stupid now

I was under the impression that you couldnt rip with itunes It never gave me the option UNTIL I selected a track(s) on the CD but thanks for the help guys...

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
check your preferences inside the itunes application under the edit menu, you can have itunes rip everytime you insert a cd if you want. also you can set the quality of the rip.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I wouldn't recommend ripping at a high bit rate, because ripping
a CD could take up mucho hard drive space.

Also - iTunes 4 is probably going to come out soon enough. It
will rip songs into AAC (mp4) instead of mp3, which means even
better quality at smaller file sizes. So you might want to wait
till iTunes 4 comes out before ripping all your CDs to save HD
space, and to have better quality songs.

comrade

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
orlando, fl
Originally posted by scem0
I wouldn't recommend ripping at a high bit rate, because ripping
a CD could take up mucho hard drive space.

If you got the space and you aren't ripping thousands of cd's, it's probably worth it to get the better sound. And then you can also set variable bit rate. I have not actually tried this but I'm assuming you can set a cutoff highest bitrate which might let you get better quality for the same or less disk space. Mp4 is exciting news. Do you think its possible to compress mp3 into mp4? I don't want to re rip my entire collection but for the space it may be worth it. Although right now its not a problem. Just hitting about 10 gigs.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by comrade
Do you think its possible to compress mp3 into mp4?

Possible: of course.

Recommended: definitely not.

Both are lossy compression formats. When you compress an mp3 into an mp4/aac, you will lose even more sound quality.

comrade

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
orlando, fl
Had a feeling that would be the answer... Well, I just got done reading Apple's site about mpeg-4, but didn't see that much information on the audio aspect and why the quality is better. If anyone has any links to further info, please share. :)

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by comrade
Had a feeling that would be the answer... Well, I just got done reading Apple's site about mpeg-4, but didn't see that much information on the audio aspect and why the quality is better. If anyone has any links to further info, please share. :)

This link will teach you more than you probably wanted to know, and when you're done you will be able to look smugly down your nose at MP3 with confidence in MP4.

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/

Also try

http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/index.html

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.