PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth iPod Adapter Coming (Again)?

MacRumors
Aug 25, 2006, 12:09 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Carsguide.com.au reports that Pioneer spokesman Michael Broadhurst has claimed that Apple will be introducing a bluetooth iPod adapter (http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,20226614-21822,00.html) that will allow music to be streamed to their new line of bluetooth-equipped car stereos (and presumably other bluetooth equipped devices supporting audio profiles as well).

This is not the first time a 3rd party manufacturer has claimed Apple is working on such capability, as a Motorola spokesman made similar claims (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/02/20050219080124.shtml) in February 2005. However, with Apple expected to re-focus its attention on its consumer product line (including the iPod) (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060824120836.shtml) in the coming month(s), resonable speculation would suggest that Apple may introduce the adapter with updated iPods (if the rumor pans out this time, that is).

Digg This (http://digg.com/apple/Bluetooth_iPod_Adapter_Coming)

fenixx
Aug 25, 2006, 12:18 PM
For some reason, I just can't see this happening.

And it looks like the price of these Bluetooth-enabled in-cars are quite the opposite of consumer level.

Ktulu
Aug 25, 2006, 12:20 PM
If the quality ia anything like my BT headset for my phone. I'd be happy to just plug it in to my stereo. My headset cuts out sometimes and the range can be very finicky.

Object-X
Aug 25, 2006, 12:24 PM
Why don't car audio makers or even Apple come out with a head unit that will allow the transfer of music from the iPod into the head unit? Certainly having wires, transmitters, holders, and all that crap is a hassel, not to mention dangerous. Just hop in your car, hook up your iPod, sync it with your car stereo and enjoy! It would only let you sync one iPod at a time and it wouldn't step on the DRM issues. All the car audio companies would have to do is negotiate with Apple. Everybody wins, you have to have an iPod for it to work, you can't steal music, it would work with all your iTunes music, it's easy, it's safe, it's perfect! :)

In fact, the head unit could also be a glorified and simple version of a mac mini that can only run iTunes. Better yet, with a double din, you could have a touch screen and it actually uses the iTunes interface. That would be wicked.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, why not make an aMini, (auto) with a small touch screen? GPS, iChat, iTunes, iPhoto, DVD, the whole package. They could sell it with special hard drive based sync device that would let you transfer all your files and settings from your computer to the device.

Think about it, if car makers are all lining up to add iPod integration, wouldn't they do the same to have the aMini as an option with a new car too?

amac4me
Aug 25, 2006, 12:25 PM
This sounds like a real possibility. We'll have to wait and see if it comes to fruition. It would be cool.

macshark
Aug 25, 2006, 12:31 PM
Everyone knows Apple is developing a cell phone
Apple cell phones will have iPod functionality
All high-end cell phones have bluetooth functionality these days
--> Mystery solved...

Squonk
Aug 25, 2006, 12:39 PM
Why don't car audio makers or even Apple come out with a head unit that will allow the transfer of music from the iPod into the head unit? Certainly having wires, transmitters, holders, and all that crap is a hassel, not to mention dangerous. Just hop in your car, hook up your iPod, sync it with your car stereo and enjoy! It would only let you sync one iPod at a time and it wouldn't step on the DRM issues. All the car audio companies would have to do is negotiate with Apple. Everybody wins, you have to have an iPod for it to work, you can't steal music, it would work with all your iTunes music, it's easy, it's safe, it's perfect! :)

In fact, the head unit could also be a glorified and simple version of a mac mini that can only run iTunes. Better yet, with a double din, you could have a touch screen and it actually uses the iTunes interface. That would be wicked.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, why not make an aMini, (auto) with a small touch screen? GPS, iChat, iTunes, iPhoto, DVD, the whole package. They could sell it with special hard drive based sync device that would let you transfer all your files and settings from your computer to the device.

Snazzy!! I'm not sure that I'd pop for the cost though...:confused:

Chef Medeski
Aug 25, 2006, 12:46 PM
This sounds like a real possibility. We'll have to wait and see if it comes to fruition. It would be cool.
Hah.... have u heard of DRM.... bah... never.

Just buy a stereo with auxilary input, lineout ----> stereo.... bam

or if u don't want a new headunit pick up an amp with RCA inputs.... much better sounding

yeah.. I don't know what consumer is classified as....:rolleyes: ... i would assume anybody who buys is a consumer... so its not a price class... but this would probably cost money... sorry for those consumers

ready2switch
Aug 25, 2006, 12:47 PM
If the quality ia anything like my BT headset for my phone. I'd be happy to just plug it in to my stereo. My headset cuts out sometimes and the range can be very finicky.

Agreed. The BT quality isn't good enough at this point to really warrant this kind of accessory. All I need is a car dock (and not one of those hidden in the glove compartment).

nagromme
Aug 25, 2006, 12:47 PM
Sounds like a fine feature--just not one I'd want to add bulk for: I'd rather snap on accessory (like already exist) that adds bulk only WHEN I want to transmit.

Assuming it can be made non-bulky, that's great. I wouldn't use it much for the sake of battery life, but I wouldn't complain about having the ability.

bigandy
Aug 25, 2006, 12:54 PM
look mum *kid points out window*, the pigs are flying again! :rolleyes:

starflyer
Aug 25, 2006, 01:01 PM

Think about it, if car makers are all lining up to add iPod integration, wouldn't they do the same to have the aMini as an option with a new car too?

I would love this. I have been thinking about a Mac Mini Carputer. The only thing that is lacking is a great user interface. My friend spent $1500 on a pioneer dvd player for his car. With $1500 I could by a

Mac Mini, 7" touch screen usb gps adapter and still have money to spare. The mini would have airport extreme and I would have it sync wirelessly when I park at my house. With bluetooth it could easily sync with my phone.

I would love a frontrow style interface but the black would probably be too hard to see in the daytime.

Apple take all the hard work out of this and give us an easy solution. A true MobileMe

Cygnus311
Aug 25, 2006, 01:15 PM
For some reason, I just can't see this happening.

And it looks like the price of these Bluetooth-enabled in-cars are quite the opposite of consumer level.

Yes, the cars are not consumer level...but plenty of people with nice cars are still consumers for Apple's iPods and consumer-line Macs. Just because they buy nice cars doesn't mean they only buy MacPros and the like.

nExt step
Aug 25, 2006, 01:28 PM
Well, the rumors has been around for a while, but seriously it would not do magic to my ipods battery life... not that it is a bad idea... no thanx!:)

SuperSnake2012
Aug 25, 2006, 01:29 PM
It would be a lot easier if more cars just had AUX inputs :(

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 25, 2006, 01:33 PM
The battery wouldn't last long with a BT connection, so you would have the iPod connected to an outlet. Hmmm, wasnt the idea about BT to be wireless?? :rolleyes:

freeny
Aug 25, 2006, 02:17 PM
I still dont understand the appeal of wireless ipods?

Too lazy bend forward and plug the damn thing in so you need a $75 piece of hardware to do it I suppose:confused:

With $1500 I could by a Mac Mini, 7" touch screen usb gps adapter and still have money to spare. The mini would have airport extreme and I would have it sync wirelessly when I park at my house. With bluetooth it could easily sync with my phone.

I would love a frontrow style interface but the black would probably be too hard to see in the daytime.

:eek: :eek:

Freak:p

macintel4me
Aug 25, 2006, 02:23 PM
Not true. AUX inputs do not provide playlists, album and song information. Bluetooth can provide this information. Also, don't forget AUX input cannot provide 'next, previous, pause, play' functionality through the steering wheel. :-)

Stridder44
Aug 25, 2006, 02:23 PM

No kidding! It seems like only now are some companies finally realizing they should have an aux-in.

macintel4me
Aug 25, 2006, 02:25 PM
I still dont understand the appeal of wireless ipods?

Too lazy bend forward and plug the damn thing in so you need a $75 piece of hardware to do it I suppose:confused:
I want a wireless ipod so when I run, I don't have wires bouncing all over the place and pulling on my ears when I turn my head.

freeny
Aug 25, 2006, 02:27 PM
Not true. AUX inputs do not provide playlists, album and song information. Bluetooth can provide this information.
not true, the right av cable could certainly do this.

freeny
Aug 25, 2006, 02:29 PM
I want a wireless ipod so when I run, I don't have wires bouncing all over the place and pulling on my ears when I turn my head.
I was assuming we were talking about an in car model.

macintel4me
Aug 25, 2006, 02:32 PM
not true, the right av cable could certainly do this.
lol. No....not even close.

freeny
Aug 25, 2006, 02:36 PM
lol. No....not even close.
What would stop someone from doing this? This info transfers to my tv and computer, why not my car stereo?

Are you saying this technology doesnt exist?
its just a bunch of zero's and one's for petes sake!
are you saying this is only possible wirelessly? Makes NO sense:confused:

macintel4me
Aug 25, 2006, 02:38 PM
What would stop someone from doing this? This info transfers to my tv and computer, why not my car stereo?

Are you saying this technology doesnt exist?
I'm simply saying the AUX inputs do not have the technology to support this extended functionality. AUX inputs are only good for streaming audio and nothing else.

freeny
Aug 25, 2006, 02:40 PM
I'm simply saying the AUX inputs do not have the technology to support this extended functionality. AUX inputs are only good for streaming audio and nothing else.
I said the "right" cable;)
Why use $70 worth of hardware when a $12 cable could do it and do it better? ($30 at apple of course;) )
We are in a car right?
17 inches from the stereo knob, right?
Im just trying to make sure we are on the same page....

Porchland
Aug 25, 2006, 04:25 PM

Apple, through iTunes and its DRM, will already allow you to (1) burn (http://forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php) songs to disc an unlimited number of times; (2) play songs on up to five (http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/itunes/it3-5.html) different computers; (3) sync (http://www.apple.com/itunes/music/) to an unlimited number of iPods; (4) stream (http://www.apple.com/itunes/share/) to up to three home audio components; and (5) share (http://www.apple.com/itunes/share/) music across a network. Plus, with the right cradle, you can play pretty much any iPod on pretty much any audio component.

The only practical ways to get music to your car are to burn CDs (too limiting), sync with iTrip (poor sound quality), or get a hardline connection to your car stereo system (expensive, cumbersome).

I really like the idea of being able dump off what ever's on my iPod to a car -based drive. If you look at the ways Apple will already allow you to move your music around, this is a perfectly logical progression.

I think Apple's main concern is to keep the loop closed, and allowing consumers to move songs from one device to another opens the loop. Most of the cars coming off the line today are iPod-capable, so this could pretty soon be a moot point.

macintel4me
Aug 25, 2006, 05:26 PM
I said the "right" cable;)
Why use $70 worth of hardware when a $12 cable could do it and do it better? ($30 at apple of course;) )
We are in a car right?
17 inches from the stereo knob, right?
Im just trying to make sure we are on the same page....
Ok, but neither cars, nor iPods support the "right" cable so your suggestion is fairly hypothetical if I'm understanding you correctly.

The value is that, ideally, I can use the previous, next, stop, buttons on my steering wheel and see the playlist on my car's display all without having to look down at my iPod (which is dangerous) while driving.

lwmcanada
Aug 25, 2006, 10:55 PM
I really like the idea of being able dump off what ever's on my iPod to a car -based drive. If you look at the ways Apple will already allow you to move your music around, this is a perfectly logical progression.

There's already something like that out, but it isnt apple based, made by clarion, its the size of a head unit, and can fit in some cars that have like a double head unit space right under the head unit. You slide it out and USB it to your computer files.

The way I have mine set up, is AUX input to the back of my Sony Xplod, with the ipod hidden in the glove compartment, with an AirTunes remote strapped to the dash. Easiest way i could do it, lol.:cool:

twoodcc
Aug 25, 2006, 11:21 PM
i'll believe it when i see it

blurtigo
Aug 26, 2006, 09:44 AM
Bluetooth would be pointless, leave that to a 3rd party.

A wifi iPod on the other hand opens up all sorts of interesting things. I hope this is what we see next.

BackInTheSaddle
Aug 26, 2006, 09:45 AM
I think it would be great to have your iPod show up on your car stereo as a shared library, or to be able to dump your iPod's contents into the stereo itself.

But using Bluetooth to stream music seems like the worst possible solution, except for perhaps using two tin cans and a piece of wire. Every Bluetooth product I've used has problems with dropouts and garbling...with all of the interference in an automotive environment, I wouldn't be surprised if the problems aren't magnified.

freeny
Aug 28, 2006, 12:53 PM
Ok, but neither cars, nor iPods support the "right" cable so your suggestion is fairly hypothetical if I'm understanding you correctly.

The value is that, ideally, I can use the previous, next, stop, buttons on my steering wheel and see the playlist on my car's display all without having to look down at my iPod (which is dangerous) while driving.
seeing that this is all about a rumor, the blue tooth solution is also just hypothetical.:rolleyes: