PDA

View Full Version : Broadcast Quality Video?

SlowX
Mar 22, 2003, 11:55 PM
Hullo,

I'm about to launch into a new venture where I'd like to get my digital video work (presently w/ Adobe After Effects and Premiere) at broadcast quality, ready for TV.

So far everything I've done w/ digital video was (just) for computers, so I was working in 640x480 or 800x600 or so, but going straight to TV is new to me and, quite frankly, I don't even know if it's possible.

Can it be done w/ standard Mac desktop systems? Would I need additional memory or video cards? Or is that something that (still?) requires something more than a Mac?

If you do broadcast work, I'd really appreciate if you could share what kind of Mac and Mac equipment you have.

Many thanks!

--x

LethalWolfe
Mar 23, 2003, 12:15 AM
"Broadcast Quality" can be a subjective term (i.e. some stations and/or networks adhere to the technical guidelines more than others, PBS for example is known for making sure all video is by the book).

MiniDV is able to achieve B'cast quality but whether it does or not is up to the user and the equipment being used. A 3-chip camera and a shooter who knows what he's doing will give you B'cast quality video. Any Mac that can handle DV can output B'cast quality video (assuming it had B'cast quality to start with). That being said I don't know of any stations that will except stuff on MiniDV (some might take DVCAM) so you'll have to find a way to xfer your stuff to Beta.

You might head over to creativecow.net (http://www.creativecow.net) to get better answers. Very good community over there.

Lethal

SlowX
Mar 23, 2003, 12:23 AM
Hi Lethal,

Good points, so I'm glad I asked.

Also, thanks for the tip about creativecow.net
What a GREAT site!
:)

--x