PDA

View Full Version : OverClocking G4 tower


VegetaPunk
Mar 23, 2003, 03:48 PM
I have a G4 500 mhz Tower and I read an article somewhere that you could OverClock the bus speed.

Has anyone done this??
What are the chances of messing up my hardware??
Plus any Advise

edesignuk
Mar 23, 2003, 03:50 PM
I have no idea if it can be done, but if it can, then Xlr8yourmac (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/) should have some info on it.

janey
Mar 23, 2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by VegetaPunk
What are the chances of messing up my hardware??
99% chance you might screw up :D

Apple][Forever
Mar 23, 2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
99% chance you might screw up :D

Uh, not really.

Follow the directions on XLR8YOURMAC.COM, and run it with the case closed so you don't overheat. Try it in small steps, and run a calculation-intense program like Altivec Fractal Carbon to ensure system stability and you'll be fine.

You may want to consider adding a fan to the processor in order to help cooling.

Worst case, as long as youre careful, is that the machine doesn't boot, you back down the speed, and you're back to square one.

I O/Ced my machine 100MHz for over a year with no problems.

Vlade
Mar 23, 2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Apple][Forever

Worst case, as long as youre careful, is that the machine doesn't boot, you back down the speed, and you're back to square one.


Actually on alot of machines you need to soder and cut off resistor paint. I really dont think a 10% increase of speed is worth voiding your warrenty and maybe losing your machine.

VegetaPunk
Mar 23, 2003, 06:42 PM
you dont have to do anything to the hardware you just have to do something in the command line or something when you boot up, it said if you want it back to what it was to just zap your pram

Vlade
Mar 23, 2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by VegetaPunk
you dont have to do anything to the hardware you just have to do something in the command line or something when you boot up, it said if you want it back to what it was to just zap your pram

Almost every new chip design or tower mod changes how you do it.

Apple][Forever
Mar 24, 2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Vlade
Actually on alot of machines you need to soder and cut off resistor paint. I really dont think a 10% increase of speed is worth voiding your warrenty and maybe losing your machine.

Not on a G4/500 tower, which is what he has... it's just jumpers.

the iBook 500 needed resistor changes via soldering. The iBook 700 can do it in software. On a notebook, though, heat issues make OCing not worth it.

benixau
Mar 24, 2003, 06:01 AM
the MDD2002 pmacs allow it to be done in OF. i did it, DP867 -> DP1083

it just upped the FSB to 167 from 133. i could do it more but the i would be truly overclocking it rather than unlocking the extra speed.

but really - if it can be undone so that apple dont know you did it (in case of a burn out) then go for it. and may the force be with you

Nipsy
Mar 24, 2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by benixau
the MDD2002 pmacs allow it to be done in OF. i did it, DP867 -> DP1083

it just upped the FSB to 167 from 133. i could do it more but the i would be truly overclocking it rather than unlocking the extra speed.

but really - if it can be undone so that apple dont know you did it (in case of a burn out) then go for it. and may the force be with you

Ummmm....the only problem with this method, is that no actual overclocking occurs, just some number changes in windows & dialog boxes.

Unless you know something I don't?

Do you have before/after Xbench results?

VegetaPunk
Mar 24, 2003, 08:03 PM
http://xlr8yourmac.com/G4ZONE/sawtooth/SawtoothCPUdesign.html


here is the article, I would need to buy some 133 ram to try it and I would be limited to two dimm slots

anyone think its worth a try after reading this article

Apple][Forever
Apr 2, 2003, 08:13 PM
probably not worth it if you need to buy memory.

Do you have a PCI or AGP model? Can't remember off the top of my head if they offered a Yikes 500.

Freg3000
Apr 2, 2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by benixau
the MDD2002 pmacs allow it to be done in OF. i did it, DP867 -> DP1083

it just upped the FSB to 167 from 133. i could do it more but the i would be truly overclocking it rather than unlocking the extra speed.

but really - if it can be undone so that apple dont know you did it (in case of a burn out) then go for it. and may the force be with you

Sorry for a stupid question.....but what is OF?

vniow
Apr 2, 2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Sorry for a stupid question.....but what is OF?

Open Firmware