Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
I have a G4 500 mhz Tower and I read an article somewhere that you could OverClock the bus speed.

Has anyone done this??
What are the chances of messing up my hardware??
Plus any Advise

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002
Re: Re: OverClocking G4 tower

Originally posted by übergeek
99% chance you might screw up :D

Uh, not really.

Follow the directions on XLR8YOURMAC.COM, and run it with the case closed so you don't overheat. Try it in small steps, and run a calculation-intense program like Altivec Fractal Carbon to ensure system stability and you'll be fine.

You may want to consider adding a fan to the processor in order to help cooling.

Worst case, as long as youre careful, is that the machine doesn't boot, you back down the speed, and you're back to square one.

I O/Ced my machine 100MHz for over a year with no problems.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Re: Re: Re: OverClocking G4 tower

Originally posted by Apple][Forever

Worst case, as long as youre careful, is that the machine doesn't boot, you back down the speed, and you're back to square one.

Actually on alot of machines you need to soder and cut off resistor paint. I really dont think a 10% increase of speed is worth voiding your warrenty and maybe losing your machine.

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
you dont have to do anything to the hardware you just have to do something in the command line or something when you boot up, it said if you want it back to what it was to just zap your pram

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by VegetaPunk
you dont have to do anything to the hardware you just have to do something in the command line or something when you boot up, it said if you want it back to what it was to just zap your pram

Almost every new chip design or tower mod changes how you do it.

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: OverClocking G4 tower

Originally posted by Vlade
Actually on alot of machines you need to soder and cut off resistor paint. I really dont think a 10% increase of speed is worth voiding your warrenty and maybe losing your machine.

Not on a G4/500 tower, which is what he has... it's just jumpers.

the iBook 500 needed resistor changes via soldering. The iBook 700 can do it in software. On a notebook, though, heat issues make OCing not worth it.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
the MDD2002 pmacs allow it to be done in OF. i did it, DP867 -> DP1083

it just upped the FSB to 167 from 133. i could do it more but the i would be truly overclocking it rather than unlocking the extra speed.

but really - if it can be undone so that apple dont know you did it (in case of a burn out) then go for it. and may the force be with you

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by benixau

it just upped the FSB to 167 from 133. i could do it more but the i would be truly overclocking it rather than unlocking the extra speed.

but really - if it can be undone so that apple dont know you did it (in case of a burn out) then go for it. and may the force be with you

Ummmm....the only problem with this method, is that no actual overclocking occurs, just some number changes in windows & dialog boxes.

Unless you know something I don't?

Do you have before/after Xbench results?

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002
probably not worth it if you need to buy memory.

Do you have a PCI or AGP model? Can't remember off the top of my head if they offered a Yikes 500.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by benixau

Sorry for a stupid question.....but what is OF?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.