Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericthemacpope

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2003
hello, i am a newbie with a question.
on ichat my italics and bolds don't work. i don't get it and it is pissin me off.
on another note, i know there have been threads on this but i was wondering what the new ipods will probably be featuring
eric

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
What are the exact steps you are taking when you try for bold or italics? Do you press Cmnd-B or Cmnd-I before or after you type a message? Are you hi-lighting the text?

iPod features are entirely speculative.

Dan

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: ichat problems and ipod

Originally posted by ericthemacpope
i know there have been threads on this but i was wondering what the new ipods will probably be featuring
eric

i doubt anyone is going to want to come to this thread and repeat what has been talked about a million times over, all over this forum. PLEASE just do a search.

as for bold/italic. try typing a few letters first, then hit the B or I button, then delete all typing, then try typing again and see what happens. this worked for me [as i was having trouble disabling bold letters for a bit too].

ericthemacpope

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2003
re:ichat problems and ipod

Originally posted by alset
What are the exact steps you are taking when you try for bold or italics? Do you press Cmnd-B or Cmnd-I before or after you type a message? Are you hi-lighting the text?

iPod features are entirely speculative.

Dan

yeah, i have tried all of that but none of it works! i have tried highlighting the text and pressing cmnd b and i or clicking the buttons. urgh
got any ideas:confused:

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Re: re:ichat problems and ipod

Originally posted by ericthemacpope
yeah, i have tried all of that but none of it works! i have tried highlighting the text and pressing cmnd b and i or clicking the buttons. urgh
got any ideas:confused:

Have you tried copying bold or italicized text from TextEdit and pasting it into iChat? This will help determine where along the line iChat fails.

Dan

ericthemacpope

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2003
Re: Re: re:ichat problems and ipod

Originally posted by alset
Have you tried copying bold or italicized text from TextEdit and pasting it into iChat? This will help determine where along the line iChat fails.

Dan
yeah I did that. What happened was, ichat allowed me to send italics and bold with the text i had pasted. it would also let me turn the italics/bold on and off so everything was good. but when i deleted all the text ( from text edit) it wouldn't let me engage italics or bold anymore. it went back to normal
eric:confused:

H

hereXORthere

Check and see if the font you are using in iChat has the capabilities to be bold or italic. Changing to a "standard" should help you along in your debugging of this issue.

-hereXORthere

appleforlife14

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2003
Portland Oregon
switch to adium

ichat is a good im program, but i would suggest using adium. it does all the same things as ichat with much, much more, and it probably wont have problems with bold and italics.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Re: switch to adium

Originally posted by appleforlife14
ichat is a good im program, but i would suggest using adium. it does all the same things as ichat with much, much more, and it probably wont have problems with bold and italics.

i disagree although iChat has its share of problems. Adium feels unfinished to me and its not integrated with the other iApps. I like being able to have the little dot next to a name in mail when someone is online makes everytihng a little easier to me.

ericthemacpope

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2003
hey, thanks, you were right i feel so silly. it was the font i was using (new york). responding to the other messages, i wil try adair also, right now i have aim ichat and proteus(which is not bad but i think it has kind of an unfinished feeling to) thanks a lot guys. gad i feel stupid
eric:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.