Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The site will resume its regular updates this week.

Due to current events, the comment section on this site has generated more off-topic threads as well as personal attacks between users.

This is unacceptable. Site comments and forums are reserved for Macintosh and technical discussion.

The only locations that political/war discussions may be held are the Political Discussion and Current Events forums. New Current Event threads should be factual and provide links to news articles. Please add personal views to the replies of that thread -- even if it means replying to your own thread.

Any user who personally attacks or insults another user will have their account deactivated. This includes all users -- new and old. No warnings.

Mac news summary to follow...

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I think you all should be reminded of the 'report post to moderator' at the bottom right corner of every post.

Let's all try to be civil here, I know many of you are frustrated about current events, but that's no reason to go attacking other people.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I also like the restriction of war posts to those two forums. It makes it easier to take a break from that topic. :)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I concur. This is really a good thing. I've been stunned at some of the posts that I've seen here. That, and some of the creative ways some people have been avoiding the filters.

Keep up the good work Arn.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Not to nitpick, but shouldn't it be community section, rather than comment section? Or am I missing something? :confused:

EDIT: n/m, I think I get it.

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003
You know, we wouldn't have this problem if damn Bush would just stop... oh... wait...

:D

(Very good idea)

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Amen

Such "discussions" (arguments) never go anywhere and hardly ever dissuade one from nor convince one towards either viewpoint. I basically ignore them anyway. But when one gets into name calling, well, that's an automatic "delete" in my book, and obviously Arn's book as well...I'm proud to continue my support of what is still the best Mac related rumors and discussion site around. The dual crowns of maturity and level-headedness have never looked better than on this boards' owner and his vigilant moderators.

Thanks to you all for cleaning up the unnecessary mess.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i dont think all these negative posts would of happened if the site didnt get put on hold for the whole flammen week ( :Dim not serious) i think praetorian_x said it best......

_tapping viens for fresh hit of mac rumors_

Gimme the good stuff...

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Well done to Arn for his professional handling of this situation.

I don't know whether the events are related, but with all these slanging matches, and the talk of a 6502+(?) ONLY forum, we're really testing the meaning of the word 'community' - thanks to Arn for seeing this is not the case, and keeping up in order.

As regards current events, perhaps we can invent a Message Icon or text equivalent to symbolise 'peace' - that way, people can add it at the bottom, or in their signatures. 'Peace' is all we need say, and without going into current event discussions in Mac forums, every can still see the feelings of their fellow members.

Just a thought!

Peace,
Hamish

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Yes, thank you. The main reason why we're here is Mac Rumors! You can always go to other sites for heated political debates. Personally, I just don't see the point. Changing someone else's opinion over the internet just ain't gonna happen.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
I've been a regular participant in many of the political threads, but since I have decided to avoid them for a while (due mainly to the intensity of the discussions), it is nice to be able to escape them.

Thanks for all the good work Arn.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Hear, hear. I dropped out of the political debates a week ago, when I saw they were getting out of hand, and emotions running way too high for anyone's good. Right now, we could probably all benefit by spending less time watching the TV and messaging on chat boards. We can all afford to expend more effort evaluating our own thoughts and feelings, and less criticizing the thoughts and feelings of others.

Cheers, one and all.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
... We can all afford to expend more effort evaluating our own thoughts and feelings, and less criticizing the thoughts and feelings of others.

... and more effort thinking about how we are gonna pay for that $5,000 PowerMac 970 :eek:

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
Hear, hear. I dropped out of the political debates a week ago, when I saw they were getting out of hand, and emotions running way too high for anyone's good.

Damn, you were one of the better debaters in those forums.
attachment.php

I think the frustration over current events has reached its peak (maybe not, who knows?) since things have calmed down over the past couple of days, although it could all heat up again if something else happens....

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Originally posted by vniow
Damn, you were one of the better debaters in those forums.

I think the frustration over current events has reached its peak (maybe not, who knows?) since things have calmed down over the past couple of days, although it could all heat up again if something else happens....

It's nice of you to say so, but I came to realize that I was generating a goodly proportion of the emotional responses, though that was certainly never my intention. No matter how they got this way, times are complicated and confused, and we're being bombarded with too much information, the better part of which is fragmentary and of marginal relevance. I personally feel pretty discombobulated by it all. Seriously, we all need to slip our brains into a lower gear, take a deep breath, and mix our metaphors...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.