Aug 27, 2006, 08:30 PM
http://www.apple.com/getamac/

They rock!

G5Unit
Aug 27, 2006, 08:31 PM
Puh! The cable at the end, classic!

DJMastaWes
Aug 27, 2006, 08:33 PM
I wounder if these are being put out in time for new updates.

katie ta achoo
Aug 27, 2006, 08:35 PM
The spyware one just came on.. I think it's cute. :)

thedude110
Aug 27, 2006, 08:37 PM
Seem kinda blah to me this time around. The whole Mac/PC campaign has been so parodied that the new ads seem like parodies themselves.

Where's Ellen Feiss when you need her?

pianoman
Aug 27, 2006, 08:40 PM
very clever.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 27, 2006, 08:44 PM
The MagSafe one is terrific - a very, very simple feature that the mainstream consumer is probably unaware of.

These new three ads just seem a bit more fun and relaxed - not as smug and arrogant as some of the other ones.

DJMastaWes
Aug 27, 2006, 08:48 PM
They spyware one is great.

Apple only updates the front page only so often. So either they won't update for a nother few weeks (when new updates are out) or this has been posted so intime for new updates (withen the next few days). I'm not sure which one I think is mor accurate.

But, they wouldn't put these up if there was an update tomorrow.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 27, 2006, 08:50 PM
They spyware one is great.

Apple only updates the front page only so often. So either they won't update for a nother few weeks (when new updates are out) or this has been posted so intime for new updates (withen the next few days). I'm not sure which one I think is mor accurate.

But, they wouldn't put these up if there was an update tomorrow.

This is a good point - basically, we know that if the Macbook is updated soon, it won't come with a case redesign! To be sure, though, the Macbook is selling so well as it is I don't think Apple feels much pressure to update it anytime soon...

The Macbook Pro, on the other hand...;)

steamboat26
Aug 27, 2006, 08:58 PM
those are pretty good, John Hodgeman (PC) is awesome, especially on the Daily Show

MattyMac
Aug 27, 2006, 09:03 PM
swwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttttt!

thegreatluke
Aug 27, 2006, 09:07 PM
These are pretty cool.

But why does Justin Long look... different?

Like it's not him or something.

The spyware one amuses me.

MattyMac
Aug 27, 2006, 09:10 PM
These are pretty cool.

Definitely because of his long hair...and he is definitely more stylish since the release of his latest movie "Accepted," which was very very good by the way!

Anyway...I think these new series of commercials are a dead give away of new products to come. (being a bit optimistic here:D but definitely not far out there)

Silentwave
Aug 27, 2006, 09:11 PM
These are pretty cool.

Like it's not him or something.

The spyware one amuses me.

different hair, different clothes even more laid back feeling i think

rockthecasbah
Aug 27, 2006, 09:12 PM
I like them all, particularly the "Trust a Mac" one... John Hodgeman in disguise mmmm ;)

DJMastaWes
Aug 27, 2006, 09:14 PM
Definitely because of his long hair...and he is definitely more stylish since the release of his latest movie "Accepted," which was very very good by the way!

Anyway...I think these new series of commercials are a dead give away of new products to come. (being a bit optimistic here:D but definitely not far out there)
Yeap, that's waht I think but more importantly, hope.

wronski
Aug 27, 2006, 09:15 PM
These are great! Much better than before, I seriously enjoyed them.

dornoforpyros
Aug 27, 2006, 09:16 PM
*yawn*

the only appealing part was the pop sound at the end of the accident one. It's a nice feature and that little gives it some character. Beyond that I still don't see the appeal of these ads.

then again, I'm not the target audience. I'm already sold

zoozx
Aug 27, 2006, 09:17 PM
Man those Suck!
Crap advertising, bring back Hal!

iJawn108
Aug 27, 2006, 09:18 PM
I actually like these alot, the madsafe one is pretty good.

I will miss this ad campain when it is over. ;)

DavidLeblond
Aug 27, 2006, 09:19 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of the PC/Mac commercials but the "field of wheat" bit was top notch!

age234
Aug 27, 2006, 09:21 PM
bring back Hal!

I'd like to see a remake of "Lemmings", myself.

Or "Crowd Control", featuring the crashy Vista beta. :cool:

Flowbee
Aug 27, 2006, 09:21 PM
Seem kinda blah to me this time around. The whole Mac/PC campaign has been so parodied that the new ads seem like parodies themselves.

I really don't think the general public is very aware of the parodies... only the hard-core internet geek crowd.

DJMastaWes
Aug 27, 2006, 09:23 PM
I really don't think the general public is very aware of the parodies... only the hard-core internet geek crowd.
Agreed. I told my friends about the "Redmond, start your photocopiers" an I laughed quiet hard. And there like "What!?!"

swingerofbirch
Aug 27, 2006, 09:25 PM
They need to make one about Macs and PCs networking with each other, and then have Mac and PC go into a deep lip-lock.

ROOF. That would be hot.

(The spyware one made me think of that because they're leaning into each other. HAUT.)

polyesterlester
Aug 27, 2006, 09:25 PM
I thought the Angel/Devil one was hilarious. John Hodgman has great comedic timing.

boncellis
Aug 27, 2006, 09:29 PM
I always thought iPhoto deserved more attention. Watching the Angel/Devil ad on Apple.com gave me the impression that Apple has something special in mind for the '07 version of iPhoto.

My best guess: create your own photomosaics! Could be something to entice potential Mac buyers.

w_parietti22
Aug 27, 2006, 09:30 PM
I dont love these commercials but I liked the MagSafe one. :)

EricNau
Aug 27, 2006, 09:31 PM
By far the funniest ones yet!

They made the PC look especially stupid. "You never saw me." ...I'm still laughing. :D

flyfish29
Aug 27, 2006, 09:37 PM
Agreed. I told my friends about the "Redmond, start your photocopiers" an I laughed quiet hard. And there like "What!?!"

don't you just hate that- I get that from my wife all the time- have to explain three times for her to get it- and she is usually not listening by the third time so I guess she never gets it!:D

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 27, 2006, 09:41 PM

No, but the general public is very aware of these advertising campaigns! I've seen so many parodies OF the Apple ads that it's impossible to argue that they haven't gotten any attention...

Ayre
Aug 27, 2006, 09:42 PM
Oh my, these just keep getting funnier and funnier. John Hodgeman is brilliant.

tismfu
Aug 27, 2006, 09:47 PM
I didn't watch the Emmys. For those who did (and in high def), were the Mac ads also in HD?

Just curious.

Thanks.

MrCrowbar
Aug 27, 2006, 09:49 PM
They need to make one about Macs and PCs networking with each other, and then have Mac and PC go into a deep lip-lock.

ROOF. That would be hot.

(The spyware one made me think of that because they're leaning into each other. HAUT.)

We already have that ad with Mac and PC holding hands. It's the one with the digital camera from Japan. :p

Frisco
Aug 27, 2006, 09:50 PM
Very well done! Better than the original ads in this marketing series.

Peace
Aug 27, 2006, 09:52 PM
I think the new ones are great..Especially the accident one..

Signs of new updates Tuesday perhaps ?

dmw007
Aug 27, 2006, 09:53 PM
The spyware one just came on.. I think it's cute. :)

That one cracked me up- very funny! :D :)

CEAbiscuit
Aug 27, 2006, 09:59 PM
Wheelchair, clever. others... lame with a side of yawn.

micvog
Aug 27, 2006, 09:59 PM
Agree with many of the previous posts - these are the best ads yet in this series.

Hodgeman is a genius. I am not sure if it is acting or real, but Long even looks like he can barely hold a straight face in the first part of the "Trust Mac" commercial.

Spaceman Spiff
Aug 27, 2006, 10:00 PM
Power cord, decent. Angel/Devil, I didn't like so much... But spyware I loved. The ending made me laugh.

captainlovett
Aug 27, 2006, 10:05 PM
These new ads are the best so far, especially the magsafe one.

I hope this means that the intel updates are this tuesday

kwong2006
Aug 27, 2006, 10:07 PM
The MagSafe one was absolutely classic. The ending is just awesome!

dmw007
Aug 27, 2006, 10:07 PM
The MagSafe one was absolutely classic. The ending is just awesome!

The ending was pretty cool! :D :)

macfan881
Aug 27, 2006, 10:11 PM
Yeap, that's waht I think but more importantly, hope.
well isnt steve jobs gonna have a media event on sept 25 ?

Aperture
Aug 27, 2006, 10:11 PM
I saw 2 of them on TV tonight. I really like the iPhoto Book one.:cool:

Tommyg117
Aug 27, 2006, 10:12 PM
I'll always welcome new mac ads

dmw007
Aug 27, 2006, 10:14 PM
I'll always welcome new mac ads

Same here, I love to watch them! :D

Of course, they just tend to feed my addiction to all things Apple, but what the heck! :D :)

Aperture
Aug 27, 2006, 10:15 PM
well isnt steve jobs gonna have a media event on sept 25 ?

Is he really? I never heard this.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 27, 2006, 10:23 PM
Is he really? I never heard this.

It's at a professional photographer's event - all we'll probably see is an update to Aperture, although if the Macbook Pro's aren't updated by that time then they could see a bump as well...

Cameront9
Aug 27, 2006, 10:26 PM
I love these ads. As other posters have mentioned, they're light-hearted and not as arrogant as the earlier ones. Accident was probably my fave...

How many have there been now, total?

mdntcallr
Aug 27, 2006, 10:30 PM
The Ad's were fun and good. but after a lil while i think that they need ad's with a more focused message.

the ad's are cute, but don't get the message out there of all that mac's can do.

nothing in my mind would beat Kiefer Sutherland introducing macs and simply stating why they are better.

MD

twoodcc
Aug 27, 2006, 10:35 PM
i thought they were pretty good

dmw007
Aug 27, 2006, 10:37 PM
the ad's are cute, but don't get the message out there of all that mac's can do.

No, I guess that they don't get out the whole message at once, but I think that they do a good job of planting small tidbits of information in the viewers mind. After watching that video on spyware, that viewer may remember how Macs have no spyware/viruses next time he has to repair his PeeCee and decide to make the switch. :)

puuukeey
Aug 27, 2006, 10:39 PM
I like these ads much more than the ipod ads. I hope they don't beat it to death like ipod ones. Stereotyping mac users as hipster twenty somethings is a strange feeling. Also, its odd that the one on the daily show is the square.

power chord, in your face everyone else. one of the greatest things about apple is their ability to learn from mistakes with style. the old power chords (my current) were a disaster. these are a stroke of genius.

I've found it ironic and unfunny that almost the moment apple embraced it's reputation for being an art computer, pc's became viable music computers. right about then, Apple made one of a very few visibly cut throat moves by eating emagic. Although core midi and audio are pretty freakin robust.

I don't really see the photobooks as a competitive advantage. they seem kind of impersonal and I bet they cost apple a ton.

Mav451
Aug 27, 2006, 10:41 PM
No, but the general public is very aware of these advertising campaigns! I've seen so many parodies OF the Apple ads that it's impossible to argue that they haven't gotten any attention...

I think the ads work for the same reason calling the G5 "world's fastest personal computer" worked...it is bold.

Not necessarily accurate (sometimes not at all), but they incite a reaction in all of us. For me, it is disgust.

Cameront9
Aug 27, 2006, 10:48 PM
The Ad's were fun and good. but after a lil while i think that they need ad's with a more focused message.

nothing in my mind would beat Kiefer Sutherland introducing macs and simply stating why they are better.

MD

It's a 30 second advertisment, not an infomercial.

In all seriousness, it would be very hard to make a captivating ad like that..viewers are simply bored. You want ads that make a view remember the product and become intriqued. I.E. "Hey, those ads are kind of funny. Maybe I'll browse to Apple.com and see what they got..."

All you have to do is get someone hooked. You don't have to tell them everything in one go.

JoshH
Aug 27, 2006, 10:52 PM
I like this round, too... especially the increased lightheartedness. I'm concerned, though, that the public won't be able to take twenty more. I just hope they know when to stop and move on...

dmw007
Aug 27, 2006, 10:52 PM
I think the ads work for the same reason calling the G5 "world's fastest personal computer" worked...it is bold.

Well, they were the fastest computes in the world- then came along the Mac Pro powered by Xeon "woodcrest" goodness! :D :)

Mav451
Aug 27, 2006, 11:08 PM
I like this round, too... especially the increased lightheartedness. I'm concerned, though, that the public won't be able to take twenty more. I just hope they know when to stop and move on...

I'll agree that these aren't nearly as patronizing or insulting as the last ones.

FF_productions
Aug 27, 2006, 11:13 PM
Good ads, they keep getting better.

Spy one is my fave though.

APPLENEWBIE
Aug 27, 2006, 11:13 PM
I strongly disagree that these ads are elitist or snobery. The task that apple has is to show, at a time when the Windows world is in some turmoil, at a time that Windows users are worried about their computers, that there is an alternative. Most casual computer users do not know that Mac is a very different way of interacting with computers, presenting a very different user experience. That is why the DIFFERENCES are so important. Apple gets nowhere by doing ads like HP (which ads are really very good). HP is trying to show that it's commodity computers are nice and easy, within the Windows world. Apple does not build commodity computers/operating systems. Apple must present itself as a very different, and better system, or it gets lost in the general computer world.

boncellis
Aug 27, 2006, 11:15 PM
It's a 30 second advertisment, not an infomercial.

In all seriousness, it would be very hard to make a captivating ad like that..viewers are simply bored. You want ads that make a view remember the product and become intriqued. I.E. "Hey, those ads are kind of funny. Maybe I'll browse to Apple.com and see what they got..."

All you have to do is get someone hooked. You don't have to tell them everything in one go.

Back in 1997 or 1998, if I remember correctly, Apple did sponsor an infomercial for a little while. I know I learned something.

CANEHDN
Aug 27, 2006, 11:15 PM
Funniest Commercials Yets.

.Andy
Aug 27, 2006, 11:20 PM
I thought the Angel/Devil one was hilarious. John Hodgman has great comedic timing.

Oh my, these just keep getting funnier and funnier. John Hodgeman is brilliant.

Hodgeman is a genius. I am not sure if it is acting or real, but Long even looks like he can barely hold a straight face in the first part of the "Trust Mac" commercial.

I couldn't agree more. It's funny that it's the guy playing the PC is the one that steals the show. I'd love to catch some outtakes of the commercials - I'm sure Hodgeman hams it up fantastically :). Not really aware of his work so I'm definitely going to have to check him out...

Silentwave
Aug 27, 2006, 11:41 PM
I strongly disagree that these ads are elitist or snobery. The task that apple has is to show, at a time when the Windows world is in some turmoil, at a time that Windows users are worried about their computers, that there is an alternative. Most casual computer users do not know that Mac is a very different way of interacting with computers, presenting a very different user experience. That is why the DIFFERENCES are so important. Apple gets nowhere by doing ads like HP (which ads are really very good). HP is trying to show that it's commodity computers are nice and easy, within the Windows world. Apple does not build commodity computers/operating systems. Apple must present itself as a very different, and better system, or it gets lost in the general computer world.

You know, one thing I think about every time I see one of the HP commercials is that video about apple's touch interface they were developing, where they were manipulating windows and images and such with their fingers etc....resizing, moving, all that stuff with natural movements.

Zwhaler
Aug 27, 2006, 11:51 PM
Clever as usual! Don't stop, Apple!

Willis
Aug 27, 2006, 11:52 PM
hahaha man I love those Ad's.

Someone early on mentioned that they arent as smug, and its true. What theses ones point out are the Mac's good side, rather than trying to say whats better. Basically the same principle... just more encouraging :rolleyes:

p0intblank
Aug 28, 2006, 12:04 AM
These new ads are great! My favorite is the spyware one. I love the PC's lines... :D Oh and the MagSafe at the end of the accident one... POP!

chuckles:)
Aug 28, 2006, 12:19 AM
The ads are good. Apple good. we all know they have a good marketing department. but i'm not sure if drawing all this attention away from the ipod is the best idea for them right now. with microsoft gearing up to launch their Zune media thingy and the Sanasa beating them to 8Gb the ipod might be faultering for the first time since its launch, and people are noticing the competition. better ipod adds are needed as soon as there is an update, and they better not have anything to do with this "get a mac" campaign.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 28, 2006, 12:27 AM
The ads are good. Apple good. we all know they have a good marketing department. but i'm not sure if drawing all this attention away from the ipod is the best idea for them right now. with microsoft gearing up to launch their Zune media thingy and the Sanasa beating them to 8Gb the ipod might be faultering for the first time since its launch, and people are noticing the competition. better ipod adds are needed as soon as there is an update, and they better not have anything to do with this "get a mac" campaign.

I'm not sure how many people are noticing the competition - and I'm with the analysts: the iPod won't go until Christmas without an update.

solvs
Aug 28, 2006, 12:35 AM
Where's Ellen Feiss when you need her?
Making some movie (http://www.bnb-movie.com/news/article/3/les-acteurs) in French.

http://www.bnb-movie.com/news/images/4.jpg

Cloud9
Aug 28, 2006, 12:42 AM
These Ads will only be effective on those who are uneducated. In actuallity they're not comparing mac vs pc, thats just silly. That would be a hardware issue and these commercials have nothing to do with hardware. Infact we do not even see product except to flash the logo.

What ther're really comparing is the operating systems. You dont hear the word windows though, you hear PC. And last I checked that was short for Personal Computer, pretty big umbrella I think.

They dont discuss specific features in software or hardware, just capabilities. It's completely an emotional sell, (But what isnt right?),

I'd like to see Ads that show what a mac can do and how nicely it can do it, not how a PC will muck up your life. That would feel more positive. Infact I hope Apple never gains a majority of market share, It will keep them humble, innovative, and behaving themselves.

c-Row
Aug 28, 2006, 12:55 AM
Infact I hope Apple never gains a majority of market share, It will keep them humble, innovative, and behaving themselves.

Yeah, I could do with a market share of 49%, too. :cool:

Some_Big_Spoon
Aug 28, 2006, 01:06 AM
These are not good ads for the mac. They're not good ads period. Why does Apple keep making ads for the faithful instead of ads that convert more people?

Mainyehc
Yeah, I could do with a market share of 49%, too. :cool:

That wouldn't give them the *absolute* majority of marketshare, but if you take OSS into account, Windows itself would have to drop under 49%... Thus, they would have the *relative* majority anyway, making them #1 in the marketplace... ;)

EricNau
These Ads will only be effective on those who are uneducated. In actuallity they're not comparing mac vs pc, thats just silly. That would be a hardware issue and these commercials have nothing to do with hardware. Infact we do not even see product except to flash the logo.

What ther're really comparing is the operating systems. You dont hear the word windows though, you hear PC. And last I checked that was short for Personal Computer, pretty big umbrella I think.

They dont discuss specific features in software or hardware, just capabilities. It's completely an emotional sell, (But what isnt right?),

I hardly think it's fair to call someone uneducated just because they don't consider Macs PCs. Whether you like it or not, the term "PC" has come to mean "Windows." While it may not be 100% accurate, it's what everyone (or most everyone) has come to accept.

polyesterlester
Aug 28, 2006, 01:08 AM
I couldn't agree more. It's funny that it's the guy playing the PC is the one that steals the show. I'd love to catch some outtakes of the commercials - I'm sure Hodgeman hams it up fantastically :). Not really aware of his work so I'm definitely going to have to check him out...

For your or anyone else wanting more from John Hodgman, here he is on The Daily Show where he has a really funny line about being a PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eftLGCXlCb4

Here's the whole clip (which was about net neutrality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0D86jb7neI

P.S. I'm an Alaskan, but I did NOT vote for Ted Stevens :)

dbit
Aug 28, 2006, 01:08 AM
Hopefully this is precipitating a new chip release in the next 36 hours? :)

I don't know if it's just me but the ads on apples site were playing buggy, cutting each other off when I clicked links, and not visually displaying the full ad even though I have the latest Quicktime.

It's kind of ironic listening to a "it just works!" ad thats playing buggy!

Cameront9
Aug 28, 2006, 01:10 AM
Hopefully this is precipitating a new chip release in the next 36 hours? :)

I don't know if it's just me but the ads on apples site were playing buggy, cutting each other off when I clicked links, and not visually displaying the full ad even though I have the latest Quicktime.

It's kind of ironic listening to a "it just works!" ad thats playing buggy!

Probably a server isssue. I'm sure their site is getting hammered. The ads played fine for me.

polyesterlester
Aug 28, 2006, 01:17 AM
Making some movie (http://www.bnb-movie.com/news/article/3/les-acteurs) in French.

http://www.bnb-movie.com/news/images/4.jpg

Holy moly... How did I not hear of this? This, in itself, is front page material. ;)

How did she get the leading role in a french film? Ruaidhri Conroy's in it (from the Academy Award-winning short film "Six Shooter"), so it's not like it's going to be a super-small release, right? I never would have guessed from watching Ellen's Switch ad that she had any french language comprehension...

eXan
Aug 28, 2006, 01:53 AM
I've just downloaded all three of them and I can say that I liked the spyware one most of all :D Especially the end when PC accidentally says he's a PC :cool:

solvs
Aug 28, 2006, 02:26 AM
How did she get the leading role in a french film?
From Wikipedia:

The directors, Martin Beilby and Loïc Moreau, had seen Feiss' Apple commercial and wanted someone like her for the part, so they decided to approach Feiss herself. She accepted the offer, despite having no formal acting experience.

Belly-laughs
Aug 28, 2006, 02:30 AM
great ads! the conceptīs improving.

Scarlet Fever
Aug 28, 2006, 02:56 AM
i seem to be the only one who doesn't understand the Angles/Demons one. Can someone explain it to me?

I thought the other two were great :)

scem0
Aug 28, 2006, 03:22 AM
The Spyware one is great, the others are decent :).

e

polyesterlester
Aug 28, 2006, 04:08 AM
i seem to be the only one who doesn't understand the Angles/Demons one. Can someone explain it to me?

I thought the other two were great :)

What's there to explain?

gauchogolfer
Aug 28, 2006, 04:18 AM
Thumbs up for 'Trust Mac', and an 'eh' for the other two.

EagerDragon
Aug 28, 2006, 04:37 AM
I wounder if these are being put out in time for new updates.

Good point, not all Macs have the new power cord.

Will_reed
Aug 28, 2006, 06:00 AM
lol I loved them classic

dmw007
Aug 28, 2006, 06:46 AM
I've just downloaded all three of them and I can say that I liked the spyware one most of all :D Especially the end when PC accidentally says he's a PC :cool:

I know, I could not help but to chuckle when he blurted out that he was a PC- oops! :D :)

Lone Deranger
Aug 28, 2006, 06:46 AM
Very entertaining.

It occured to me that the quality performance of John Hodgeman might actually backfire on Apple and turn him (and what he represents) into some sort of anti-hero. :eek:

johnmcboston
Aug 28, 2006, 06:47 AM

I got a bigger kick out of the fact that Justin looks like he's about to just burst out laughing half the time. (some of the cuts look like they had to end a bit early...)

skwoytek
Aug 28, 2006, 07:18 AM
These are not good ads for the mac. They're not good ads period. Why does Apple keep making ads for the faithful instead of ads that convert more people?

I've had three people who know I'm a Mac user ask me, (paraphrased) "You know the commercial about the Mac and viruses, is that true?"

One of them already bought his Mac.

So while the commercials make the faithful smile and feel good about their platform, they also get possible switchers interested and curious.

I think they're more effective than a lot of commercials out there:

Would you rather see 30 secs of your favorite actor sitting behind a Mac? If so, just watch 24 or Entourage or a few dozen other shows.

Would you rather hear "are you suffering from sleepless nights due to unsorted photos, spyware and blue screens of death. Ask your local computer retailer if OS X for Mac is right for you."

Let's hear about the 30-sec ads anyone here thinks would be better.

whooleytoo
Aug 28, 2006, 07:30 AM
Very entertaining.

It occured to me that the quality performance of John Hodgeman might actually backfire on Apple and turn him (and what he represents) into some sort of anti-hero. :eek:

I think so too - in the adverts the PC character is the funny, 'human' one; the Mac character is a bit too smug and all-knowing.

heels98
Aug 28, 2006, 07:38 AM
I didn't watch the Emmys. For those who did (and in high def), were the Mac ads also in HD?

Just curious.

Thanks.

The Emmys were not in HD, so, no the ads were not. If they are like the previous ads, when they air during an HD program, the ads will be HD...most of the time. :rolleyes:

JoshH
Aug 28, 2006, 08:35 AM
The Emmys were not in HD, so, no the ads were not. If they are like the previous ads, when they air during an HD program, the ads will be HD...most of the time. :rolleyes:

Yeah, sometimes they're in HD and sometimes not... even within HD programming. I'm not sure why, though. :confused:

eric_n_dfw
Aug 28, 2006, 08:43 AM
Glad that the words "Mac OS Ten" finally get mentioned in an add. (the spyware one) -- how long has it been since they last said anything about the OS in a commercial? (albeit, the recent virus commercial alluded to it)

mccldwll
Aug 28, 2006, 08:48 AM
I can't get to the ads right now, and can't remember from when I saw them last night if there were any imacs (I seem to remember imacs in the first round of ads). Are there any imacs? If not, suggests new imac form coming soon IMO.

crazycat
Aug 28, 2006, 08:52 AM
I like these new ads more then the older ones, dotn know why maybe its because pc get hurts :)

jholzner
Aug 28, 2006, 08:55 AM

You've got to check him out as the "resident expert" on the Daily Show. One of my favorite segments.

mi5moav
Aug 28, 2006, 09:03 AM
I love the PC guys toes "pop" when he talks about the mac cord tells him how the cord just pops right out.

mowry
Aug 28, 2006, 09:19 AM
There is no apostrophe in the plural of Emmy, nor in the plural of any word for that matter. Apostrophes are for possesives and contractions, not plurals.

notjustjay
Aug 28, 2006, 09:24 AM

It's just a round-about way of getting the message across that if you try to do "fun" stuff with a PC, like make photo books, it's not that "fun" and a lot of trouble, time, and effort. Perhaps, subconsciously, the PC is also jealous.

ImAlwaysRight
Aug 28, 2006, 09:51 AM
I like these commercials! Pretty funny while communicating quite well. In this round, "Trust Mac" cracked me up the most.

Evangelion
Aug 28, 2006, 09:55 AM
WOOHOO! New ads! I can hardly contain myself because of the excitement caused by these ads! Now I can again experience the talking ads whenever I visit apple.com! Maybe I want to see them, maybe not, but there they are playing and talking whenever I visit that website! Right on the frontpage!

New products? Who cares about that when we have NEW ADS :) :) :) :) :) :) :) !

peharri
Aug 28, 2006, 10:29 AM
Please. Make. Them. Stop.

I'll get excited about Apple doing ads again if and when they stop being patronising, smug, inaccurate (or at least wildly exaggerated) works of flamebait.

"Hi, I'm a PC"
"And I'm a Mac"
"Look at me, I'm stupid. D'oh. Looks at me, I have Clippy. D'oh, I'm going to download a virus, because I'm so stupid."
"I can automatically file your MP3 collection, and I'm immune from virusses due to my amazing automated "Nobody can write virusses for a platform that has hardly any users" technology."
"Duh, I'm going to stick my fingers in this electrical socket. Ow!"
"Heh. Unlike my dumb friend, I don't need to be powered by old fashioned electricity. I run entirely on my owners sense of smug self-satisfaction."

Let's hope the new batch of election ads don't influence Apple's advertising department to go even more negative:

"Microsoft says their new Windows Vista is more secure than ever before. But in 1983, Microsoft released a version of Windows that was vulnerable to virus after virus. Can you trust Microsoft? I'm Steve Jobs and I approve this message."

macenforcer
Aug 28, 2006, 11:18 AM
I'm sorry but these ads are terrible. They are almost as bad as the switcher ads with the dorks. When I refresh apple's page and see an ad I cringe.

Billicus
Aug 28, 2006, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry but these ads are terrible. They are almost as bad as the switcher ads with the dorks. When I refresh apple's page and see an ad I cringe.

Agreed... and if they're a turn off to the loyal Apple Customer base then who are these ads targeted at? These aren't creative... they're smug, arrogant, and as another poster said, inacurate to a degree. I like Mac OS X much better than Windows XP but let's get serious - if you know what you're doing on Windows XP you're not going to have very many of the "problems" that Apple describes in their Mac campaigns. Why can't we have creative ads anymore, like the guy getting blown away by the PowerMac G5 or the 17" and 12" Powerbook commercials with Mini-Me and Yao Ming? :(

spinko
Aug 28, 2006, 11:42 AM
dumbest ad ever... it is just screaming to the virus writers to find ways to get into OSx.. because we all know, no OS is 100% hack-proof.

macenforcer
Aug 28, 2006, 12:25 PM
Not to mention pissing off microsoft will only get us no office and pissing off adobe will get us no everything. Apple should just shut their mouths. They bragged for the longest time that the ppc was faster than intel then they inserted both feet in mouth now they are full out targeting microsoft. Good grief.

The mac os will be forever just what it is today. Creative professionals and savy home users. Mac os will never be for the corporate office because microsoft controls that area and always will. Business will NEVER switch over.

yoak
Aug 28, 2006, 12:55 PM
Silly ads IMO. Donīt think they would work this side of the pond

KevanDual2.5
Aug 28, 2006, 01:20 PM
Well, they were the fastest computes in the world- then came along the Mac Pro powered by Xeon "woodcrest" goodness! :D :)

The G5 advert claiming to be the fastest computer in the world was banned in the UK. We also do not get to see the current line of Apple ads on TV here. I am led to believe it is due to the fact that Apple make a direct comparison to one other product and this breaches our advertising standards.

KevanDual2.5
Aug 28, 2006, 01:24 PM
There is no apostrophe in the plural of Emmy, nor in the plural of any word for that matter. Apostrophes are for possesives and contractions, not plurals.

This is not 100% correct. Plural nouns that end in 'S' have apostrophes.

KevanDual2.5
Aug 28, 2006, 01:29 PM
dumbest ad ever... it is just screaming to the virus writers to find ways to get into OSx.. because we all know, no OS is 100% hack-proof.

I think, in a way, the virus writers should be encouraged to try.

The huge difference between OS X and XP is that OS X was built with security in mind. We have proper foundations. XP, on the other hand, has foundations that were laid a long time ago and to very different requirements. While Apple simply combat security flaws by adding to their existing and strong foundations, Microsoft are forced to add to their poor foundations. We all know the results of this practice.

When your house is burning down there is no point squirting water from your hosepipe on it if the basement is full of propane canisters.

KevanDual2.5
Aug 28, 2006, 01:35 PM
I hardly think it's fair to call someone uneducated just because they don't consider Macs PCs. Whether you like it or not, the term "PC" has come to mean "Windows." While it may not be 100% accurate, it's what everyone (or most everyone) has come to accept.

You have hit the nail on the head. PC = Windows. It is very similar to something here in the UK. I'm not sure if this is the same anywhere else in the world. In the UK part of the housework is hoovering. To do this we use a vacuum cleaner. But probably the best known manufacturer of vacuum cleaners, up until Dyson appeared, was Hoover. Due to their popularity, the term Hoovering is what this activity is known as.

Useless info i know.... but its just an example.... and it's identical to the whole PC= Personal Computer thing.

I wonder if future generations will call it Dysoning........ or Panasonicing???? best leave it at that i think :D

polyesterlester
Aug 28, 2006, 02:26 PM
You've got to check him out as the "resident expert" on the Daily Show. One of my favorite segments.
I posted links to this segment earlier... He's really funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eftLGCXlCb4

Here's the whole clip (which was about net neutrality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0D86jb7neI

dmw007
Aug 28, 2006, 05:13 PM
I like these new ads more then the older ones, dotn know why maybe its because pc get hurts :)

I liked that part as well- a hurt PeeCee. :D :)

dialectician
Aug 28, 2006, 06:48 PM

This whole missionary vocabulary of proselytizing and conversion is somewhat disturbing... :rolleyes:

The ads are ok, if not great. As has been pointed out repeatedly here, the reason why there are no viruses and spyware for Mac isn't because OS X is so great, but because Apple has such a low market share compared to Windows...

dialectician
Aug 28, 2006, 06:50 PM

Can you provide an example? :confused:

mowry
Aug 28, 2006, 06:58 PM

Incorrect. :D If the noun ends in an S (or an X), you simply add -es to make it plural. E.g., kisses, masses, misses, boxes.

Some folks appear to want to make a visible separation between the noun and the extra letter that makes the word plural. This desire seems to have given rise to this common error.

I believe this error began to become more common starting a few decades ago, when there was an explosion in the use of acronyms. With acronyms, it's even more tempting to want to draw a line between the letters that comprise the word and the trailing letter S in the plural form. This is especially important with acronyms because the average reader might not know if a letter S at the end is a part of the acronym or an indcation of a plural. However, there's usually a simple solution: write the acronym in capitals, and write the trailing letter S in lowercase letters. E.g., CDs and DVDs.

ryanx27
Aug 28, 2006, 07:36 PM
I'm sure Hodgeman hams it up fantastically :). Not really aware of his work so I'm definitely going to have to check him out...
His book "Areas of My Expertise" is hilarious. He's on the Daily Show quite often as their "Resident Expert..." always a treat! Here are some clips of my favs:

On Net Neutrality
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Prtwd85YqAM

Countering the Insurgency in Iraq
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UHuccnnzR54

blybug
Aug 28, 2006, 08:44 PM
I don't really see the photobooks as a competitive advantage. they seem kind of impersonal and I bet they cost apple a ton.
Have you actually seen one of the iPhoto books? They blow away anything else you can get from other online photo services. The full page bleeds and unique layouts, combined with the ease with which iPhoto automatically spills your pictures into those slots is unparallelled. Most other services use kludgy web-based software that requires moving your already uploaded photos around manually into rather mundane layouts.

My wife spent hours on winkflash.com (which by the way does fabulous prints very reasonably and fast) making a book which came out looking pretty meh. When I showed her how to do the "same thing" from within iPhoto (why didn't she just ask me) that took literally seconds and the final product was so polished and beautiful she was floored. My mother carries around an iPhoto book I made to show off the grandkids, and everyone she shows it to is much more interested in how and where she got this beautiful book than the undeniably beautiful kids in the actual pictures :rolleyes:

I was disappointed that the new iPhoto ad didn't cut to a quick scene of PC flipping through the pages, there's nothing about the way the book was presented that would make the average crappy-photo-book purchaser think this was anything different or better. Would have been time a little better spent than the devil-angel bit.

The trust ad is a gem! PC is hilarious. Reminds me of some classic Ernie & Bert segments from Sesame Street.

.Andy
Aug 28, 2006, 09:16 PM

His book "Areas of My Expertise" is hilarious. He's on the Daily Show quite often as their "Resident Expert..." always a treat! Here are some clips of my favs:

Thanks guys. being an Aussie I've not really been privvy to these. They're fantastic I love his delivery :)! Have to check out that book from amazon...

Shananra
Aug 28, 2006, 11:56 PM

Never heard of OpenBSD? ;)

Evangelion
Aug 29, 2006, 01:28 AM
Never heard of OpenBSD? ;)

OpenBSD is not "100% hack-proof". It might be the hardest OS to crack (well, maybe QNX is even harder, I dunno), but it's not 100% secure either.

Some OS'es are harder to crack than others. OpenBSD is among the hardest, but it's not totally secure either.

iBot
Aug 29, 2006, 02:40 AM
Not really aware of his work so I'm definitely going to have to check him out...

In addition to being an occasional contributer to The Daily Show, John "PC Guy" Hodgeman is the author of a very funny book, "The Areas of My Expertise." (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0525949089/sr=8-1/qid=1156837114/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9253020-2701748?ie=UTF8)

KevanDual2.5
Aug 29, 2006, 02:40 AM
Can you provide an example? :confused:

Hi, you will find some examples at the following link

http://community-2.webtv.net/solis-boo/Grammar2/page12.html

polyesterlester
Aug 29, 2006, 03:34 AM
Hi, you will find some examples at the following link

http://community-2.webtv.net/solis-boo/Grammar2/page12.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems all the examples that were applicable were also possessive.

KevanDual2.5
Aug 29, 2006, 03:49 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems all the examples that were applicable were also possessive.

You are quite correct. But the orignal post stated that apostrophes do not apply to plurals.

gauchogolfer
Aug 29, 2006, 04:14 AM
You are quite correct. But the orignal post stated that apostrophes do not apply to plurals.
Oh, wow. I think we're being a bit pedantic here. If a plural happens to also be possessive then of course it needs an apostrophe. The whole original point was that simple plural nouns never get an apostrophe.

Can we agree on this?

sunfast
Aug 29, 2006, 05:22 AM
LOVE the spyware one. Hilarious

Sesshi
Aug 29, 2006, 05:26 AM
What I really would like to see is the one where PC gets botnetted and starts randomly shouting "Viagra!" "Enlarge Your Penis!" :p

Multimedia
Aug 29, 2006, 07:14 AM
I think this new Bob Dylan mini-blues Music Video from his forthcoming album "Modern Times" Ad (http://www.apple.com/ipod/ads/dylan/) specifically shot for iPod + iTunes is by far the best Apple AD -except for 1984 - that has ever been made. Wow! I am blown away by the way it was shot and how fantasic it sounds. Definitely Clio (http://www.clioawards.com/home/) worthy.

Let's hope Apple submits it to the Clio (http://www.clioawards.com/home/) nomination committee. Congratulations to all who made this ad happen.

For those of you who don't know Clio (http://www.clioawards.com/home/), it's the advertising community's equvalent of the Oscar and Emmy.

spinko
Aug 29, 2006, 09:04 AM
What I really would like to see is the one where PC gets botnetted and starts randomly shouting "Viagra!" "Enlarge Your Penis!" :p

Hilarious :-)

dsnort
Aug 29, 2006, 09:38 AM
Please. Make. Them. Stop.

I'll get excited about Apple doing ads again if and when they stop being patronising, smug, inaccurate (or at least wildly exaggerated) works of flamebait.

These ads are fine. Apple is making the case that their product is better than the competition. To do this they are pointing out specific advantages of the Mac. There is no way to say "we are better at this" without sounding smug to some extent.

As for the claims being inaccurate, as someone that has experience with both Macs and PCs,( note the lack of apostrophes:D ) I wholeheartedly disagree. The only Mac advantage shown in these commercials that I have not personaly experienced is the Magsafe. I have never tripped over any computer power cord, ( though I can see how it might happen ).

Apple is also using the classic comedy dynamic of straight guy / fall guy. The straight guy, (Mac), sets the fall guy,(PC) up to get all the laughs. Have you noticed that PC gets all the funny lines? And in that video posted above, did you notice how the crowd erupted when Hodgman said "I'm a PC"? That tells me that the commercials are in the consciousness of the public, which means they are working!

VafeR
Aug 29, 2006, 12:35 PM
I tend to agree - these ads are brilliant, but I feel like we might be reaching the edge...

I have a slight concern:

What has made these ads work for me is that PC is still *likeable*, diligent, dutiful - he deserves some respect... even though it's the respect afforded to the Old Guard, who are tragically un-hip, out-of-touch, etc. He's like the weird old neighbour that you genuinely like but laugh and roll your eyes at as you walk away.

Here, it seems to me that PC is being painted as a moron - an idiot - or, [in the case of the angel/devil bit] crazy. The very end of the spyware ad, where PC doesn't get it and is one-upped by Apple at his own joke, is funny - but I almost felt like it went *just* too far in discounting PC's credibility.

In short, these felt more like the "smear campaign" ads some people have been blaming them for being.

Subtle balance... Any thoughts?

dsnort
Aug 29, 2006, 01:08 PM
The very end of the spyware ad, where PC doesn't get it and is one-upped by Apple at his own joke, is funny - but I almost felt like it went *just* too far in discounting PC's credibility.

In short, these felt more like the "smear campaign" ads some people have been blaming them for being.

Subtle balance... Any thoughts?
Although I generally like the ads, I must say the angel devil one made me say "eh?".
And I think the spyware would have much more clever if instead of being in disquise the PC character would have had little things, "people" or something peeking out of his jacket or over his shoulder. The Mac character asks "What are those thing?" PC replies, "Oh, just some spyware I picked up."

polyesterlester
Aug 29, 2006, 01:27 PM
I think this new Bob Dylan mini-blues Music Video from his forthcoming album "Modern Times" Ad (http://www.apple.com/ipod/ads/dylan/) specifically shot for iPod + iTunes is by far the best Apple AD -except for 1984 - that has ever been made. Wow! I am blown away by the way it was shot and how fantasic it sounds. Definitely Clio (http://www.clioawards.com/home/) worthy.

Let's hope Apple submits it to the Clio (http://www.clioawards.com/home/) nomination committee. Congratulations to all who made this ad happen.

For those of you who don't know Clio (http://www.clioawards.com/home/), it's the advertising community's equvalent of the Oscar and Emmy.

Well, now we know what that one girl from the Wynton Marsalis ad looks like. I agree though, the Bob Dylan ad is refreshingly stark.

KevanDual2.5
Aug 29, 2006, 03:30 PM
Oh, wow. I think we're being a bit pedantic here. If a plural happens to also be possessive then of course it needs an apostrophe. The whole original point was that simple plural nouns never get an apostrophe.

Can we agree on this?

Of course we can agree.... but only if you agree that your original point was not 100% accurate:p

polyesterlester
Aug 29, 2006, 09:00 PM
Of course we can agree.... but only if you agree that your original point was not 100% accurate:p

Actually, your post was not 100% accurate. :p

Incorrect. If the noun ends in an S (or an X), you simply add -es to make it plural. E.g., kisses, masses, misses, boxes.

There's nothing incorrect at all about mowry's posting. He doesn't mention possessive nouns at all, he just talks about adding -es to make nouns ending in S plural. Whereas you just say "plural nouns that end in 'S' have apostrophes."

Mowry has no inaccuracies to admit to. (It's all right to admit mistakes, and I don't tend to point out other peoples' spelling and grammar errors (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=12130256&blogID=157258786&MyToken=2ad1eb9c-53a1-4246-b6e1-aa5de15b524d), but you were so insistent that mowry was wrong.)