Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisbowles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
hi everyone, im looking for a little help. ive got an ibook g4 with a cd that is stuck in it. it will read the cd just fine, but when i try to eject it, it wont come out. the icon with disappear for a second and it will start making noise like its going to come out, but then it wont. after that the cd reloads in the computer and the icon pops up again and it acts like i just put the cd into the drive. ive tried to turn it off and then back on and do the mouse button thing, i actually saw on this forum that you could stick some cardboard in there to get it out, but i followed those directions as well as i could and it didnt work then either. there doesnt appear to be any kind of paperclip hole or anything like that, but maybe i just dont know about it. if anyone can give me any help, that would be really great. thanks for taking the time to look

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I believe there is a small button of some sort that acts as a Hardware eject. Check your manual.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I had a similar problem. Don't know if this will work for you, but it did for me...

The slot had gotten deformed slightly and was physically preventing the disc from coming out. I took a flathead screwdriver and bent to opening "more open" a bit. Just as it started to come out, I moved the screwdriver out of the way. I never had any problems since. Don't know if that's your issue, but the symptoms of my problem were pretty much identical to yours.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
chrisbowles said:
hi everyone, im looking for a little help. ive got an ibook g4 with a cd that is stuck in it. it will read the cd just fine, but when i try to eject it, it wont come out. the icon with disappear for a second and it will start making noise like its going to come out, but then it wont. after that the cd reloads in the computer and the icon pops up again and it acts like i just put the cd into the drive. ive tried to turn it off and then back on and do the mouse button thing, i actually saw on this forum that you could stick some cardboard in there to get it out, but i followed those directions as well as i could and it didnt work then either. there doesnt appear to be any kind of paperclip hole or anything like that, but maybe i just dont know about it. if anyone can give me any help, that would be really great. thanks for taking the time to look

Try the reboot/mouse button thing again but this time hold your iBook on the side so that the slot is facing the ground and let gravity do it's job.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
schaef2493 said:
I believe there is a small button of some sort that acts as a Hardware eject. Check your manual.

Only the earliest iBook models had the manual eject buttons. Here are a few things to try. Some people have had success tipping their computers so that the disc basically just falls out when it tries to eject.

Generally speaking, you want to avoid sticking things into your optical drive, as it's very easy to break it. But if nothing else works, I've heard of people using some double-stick tape on the end of a thin ruler or something to pull it out.

chrisbowles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
hey thanks everyone so much, but none of those things seemed to work. im a little worried now, but if anyone else has a last resort idea before i take it down to the apple store (damn) im open to anything. and again, thanks for all the replies

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'd recommend taking it into the Apple Store. That's better than breaking it trying to get the disk out some other way.

BTW, this is my 2000th post :).

cazzaLondon

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
stuck cd in ibookG4

Hi there...I have the same problem that you mentioned here - the cd is spinning but wont come out - How did you resolve it?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Have you tried rebooting the computer with the mouse/trackpad button held down?

This is an iBook G4 in your case, yes? A slot-loading drive rather than tray-loading?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.