Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As expected, several laptop manufacturers have released the first of the Core 2 Duo (Merom) based laptops today.

Dell, Toshiba, Samsung and Alienware announced laptop models which utilize the new Core 2 Duo processors.

Apple, however, has yet to announce a Merom/Core 2 Duo upgrade to their laptop line (MacBook and MacBook Pro), but several rumors suggest that these upgrades will come in September.

Historically, Apple's processor upgrades have been tied to Motorola/IBM's PowerPC upgrades which have generally been less frequent and less public than Intel's. With the switch to Intel, Apple may have to provide timely upgrades to remain competitive with Windows-based PC manufacturers.

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
Great, just after the "back to school" shopping spree. Well, there will be better performance increases in 2007. I hope.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
not that it really matters. but they stole apples thunder.

and since steve compared osx to windows and the mac pro to dell and made lot's of fun about both they'd better stay on top of the game.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
I think I'll just purchase a Core 2 Duo myself and drop it in my iMac.
Conroe, right?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Yeah, we all knew this was coming. It will be interesting to see how quickly Apple responds to its competition and follows suit. Hopefully very soon, I'm eager to see what exactly Apple does, i.e. only updates the MBPs, updates the whole MacBook line, updates the Mini as well... :cool:

Oh, and how about some Conroe iMacs? ;) :D

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
This really doesn't matter. Apple will update stuff tomorrow. Steve likes to wait for tuesdays cuz he's a rockstar like that. :D

Apple announced the Intel iMac and MBP like 5-7 days after Yonah was brought out at the begining of Jan. It'll be announced tomorrow (75%) or next Tuesday (25%), but no later than that.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I think Apple will try to get these out prior to the Paris expo. Why give up sales to announce the product at a later date?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
4God said:
Yeah for the portables, but Conroe for the desktop.

But Merom uses the same socket as Core Duos, and Conroe uses a different socket. So Conroe won't fit in your iMac.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
bigbossbmb said:
This really doesn't matter. Apple will update stuff tomorrow. Steve likes to wait for tuesdays cuz he's a rockstar like that. :D

Apple announced the Intel iMac and MBP like 5-7 days after Yonah was brought out at the begining of Jan. It'll be announced tomorrow (75%) or next Tuesday (25%), but no later than that.
If your right i'll give you hugs untill you can''t breath!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
A week Tuesday, a week Tuesday! I just put my mini on eBay and I'll get a good chunk less if they update them tomorrow! I thought the original rumour said after Labor day which is next week isn't it?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Spanky Deluxe said:
A week Tuesday, a week Tuesday! I just put my mini on eBay and I'll get a good chunk less if they update them tomorrow! I thought the original rumour said after Labor day which is next week isn't it?

the rumor was a huge shipment from the far east was expected to arrive on US soil on sept 5th...

things change...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.