PDA

View Full Version : iPod Has Only 8% of Market in Taiwan

MacBytes
Aug 28, 2006, 01:50 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: iPod Has Only 8% of Market in Taiwan (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060828145038)
Description:: The iPod leads in Taiwan, but with only 8% market share and Samsung threatening to overtake it. With the worldwide MP3 market exploding, competitors are poised to erode Apple's market share on all continents including its two-thirds share here in the US.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

montex
Aug 28, 2006, 04:26 PM
I'm going to have to call BS on this. I suspect that this "8% market share" statistic in Taiwan has much more to do with the methodology used in collecting the numbers rather than the prevalence of iPods. For example, did they count the entire family of iPods as one group or did they put the Shuffle, Nano and Video iPod into separate groups and count their numbers against each other? The article didn't say. I've seen this done in the past when the people who put out these numbers want to slant the numbers against Apple.

Another way to fudge the numbers is to count the number of units for a cheap product against the quantity of a more expensive product from another company. In other words, did they count a bunch of 32Mb flash players against 60Gb iPods?

I really have a hard time believing that iPods are used by only 8% of Taiwanese. It's possible, but I doubt it.

WildCowboy
Aug 28, 2006, 04:32 PM
Just last month, the iPod had 29% market share (http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2006/07/07/2003317732) in Taiwan.

Guess it depends on who's doing the counting... :rolleyes:

Sun Baked
Aug 28, 2006, 04:34 PM
If you are in an area with a bunch of pirated music.

You don't need an iPod, just any MP3 player.

No sense in buying a iPod if you don't use the iTMS -- just go down to the corner and get the latest pirated CD.

montex
Aug 29, 2006, 12:59 AM
Uh, don't you think it's kinda racist to assume that the Taiwanese steal their music?

WildCowboy
Aug 29, 2006, 01:04 AM
Uh, don't you think it's kinda racist to assume that the Taiwanese steal their music?

Racism doesn't have anything to do with it...Taiwan is well known for its music piracy. Their record industry has seen its revenues fall by more than 50% in the last few years, and piracy has been the major factor in that.

bousozoku
Aug 29, 2006, 01:51 AM

I don't think so. Outside of Japan, no one seems to have money for software, either and even Japan is constricted. Music costs a lot, though the versions for Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, etc. seem much cheaper than those for Japan.

Some people even buy what look like proper CDs but they're not.

The majority of people are concerned about mobile phones and some are also concerned about music players. Once you spend so much for either, it's tough to buy the music to put on them.

Mindcrime
Aug 29, 2006, 07:49 AM

I lived in Taiwan for 10 years, so let me just say, uh, no. They have companies operating there that are similar to Kazaa where you pay a minimal subscription fee of like 5 dollars a month and you can download all the music you want from other subscribed peers. It's so popular that when the government, under pressure from U.S. companies, tried to shut it down, lost the case. They play their ads in front of movie trailers at theaters, and on TV, and have posters in the subway tunnels, etc.

My Taiwanese relatives and their friends think piracy is the norm. And when you ask them if they're afraid of a crackdown vis-a-vis what's happening in America with the RIAA and the MPAA or with some software companies going after file shareres, they literally laugh and so "No, this is Taiwan. That doesn't happen here."

At any rate, I can believe the miniscule market share in Taiwan. One of my friends works for Apple Taiwan and he's always told me stories about how hard it is for Apple to market their products in a country where DIY computing is the norm and you can buy hardware directly from the OEM vendors in places like Gwang Hua in Taipei (i.e. an Nvidia video card with no Nvidia stickers or brand markers on it, but made by the company that makes all Nvidia cards so it's 100% identical but sold at 1/5 the price). People buying cheap MP3 players with more functionality than Apple's iPods is why the iPod market share is so low.

That said, however, the Taiwanese are, like most modern cultures, susceptible to "fads" and once the iPod fad hit critical mass in the States and Europe, it also jacked up sales there as all the so-called fashonistas had to have them as well.

redAPPLE
Aug 30, 2006, 03:52 AM
No sense in buying a iPod if you don't use the iTMS -- just go down to the corner and get the latest pirated CD.

i believe you have been using mac hardware & software long enough to know, that this is simply not true. at least long enough in this forum to know this is not true.

i don't buy that much music from iTMS. does it mean i pirate the rest of my music? no. i buy real cds.

and i have 4 iPods.

sunfast
Aug 30, 2006, 04:15 AM
i believe you have been using mac hardware & software long enough to know, that this is simply not true. at least long enough in this forum to know this is not true.

i don't buy that much music from iTMS. does it mean i pirate the rest of my music? no. i buy real cds.

and i have 4 iPods.

I agree. The iPod attraction for me is not iTMS but iTunes. I buy my CDs and rip them - the sound quality is greatly superior to the pap on iTMS, it doesn't have DRM rubbish and I have a back up. I like album art too and actually browsing my physical CD collection.

bousozoku
Aug 30, 2006, 04:18 AM

and i have 4 iPods.

Did you miss the sarcasm?

My iPod has music from my own CDs, too, and that's all.

However, in a world where people are being economical, why buy the most expensive player out there? It's more likely that people who pirate music are going to buy the cheapest player possible that fulfills all their needs.