PDA

View Full Version : iChat 2.0?

MacRumors
Mar 24, 2003, 10:25 AM
Looprumors claims (http://www.looprumors.com/) to have details on the upcoming iChat update (version 2.0).

As previously reported (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/02/20030227234459.shtml) - reliable MacRumors sources have indicated that the next iChat revision will have Videoconferencing.

Looprumors adds that Apple is working on "a new compression technology" and wants to achieve a full 30fps... though at what bandwidth is not specified.

Unconfirmed MacRumors submissions claim that it will have "new compatabilities" -- possibly with Jabber, as well in as increased security, and a "security feature" to stop leaks.

NitzerX
Mar 24, 2003, 10:43 AM
Cool!

Hope we'll have the ability to do voice only chatting.

:cool:

Xero
Mar 24, 2003, 11:14 AM
my 2 biggest complaints:

support for more user options [user profile, away messages while Idle, etc...]

and

make that send-message dialogue box sizable!:eek:

ColoJohnBoy
Mar 24, 2003, 12:22 PM
Great news about the new iChat! It is by far and away the best chat client out there. A couple features I wouldn't mind seeing:

-A feature that allows you to appear away to particular members, like on Yahoo! Messenger
-More emoticons (Like Yahoo!)

Keep up the good work, Apple!

ryan
Mar 24, 2003, 12:41 PM
Jabber support seems like a no brainer, it would make it so easy for Apple to allow iChat to connect to other IM services almost at will.

Jimong5
Mar 24, 2003, 01:11 PM
what i really want is the end of the dumb thing that closes and seals IM windows when a direct IM ends or you lose connection/log off. that annoys me a lot...

abdul
Mar 24, 2003, 02:45 PM
I want more information about the compression software that apple is making, that should allow (if rumours are anything to believe) 30fps, the equivalent of broadcast television!!! trust Apple to think of that idea, but when will they release the final version is another question! Anyone heard anymore rumours about the compression software?

vniow
Mar 24, 2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by abdul
question! Anyone heard anymore rumours about the compression software?

MPEG-4 maybe?

NavyIntel007
Mar 24, 2003, 03:20 PM
About time. Now I can netmeeting with my girlfriend again ;)

I'd like better support for away messages.

fluppy
Mar 24, 2003, 03:42 PM
This is supposed to be the best their is.

vniow
Mar 24, 2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by fluppy
This is supposed to be the best their is.

Aye, the final draft of MPEG-4 was supposed to contain that codec.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13618

Mr.Hey
Mar 24, 2003, 05:04 PM
What makes this possible is a new code called H264 also know as MP4-10...I can't wait :D

Wonder Boy
Mar 24, 2003, 08:58 PM
I'd like better file transfer support. Nothing seems to work for me while using ichat, but using the same name under AIM works fine. Profile support would be sweet, too.

j33pd0g
Mar 24, 2003, 10:35 PM
I hope iChat 2.0 gives you more typing space so you don't have to fix it again when they update.

Looprumors also mentions some new features of 10.3, iChat 2.0 of course, and several others too. The one feature that would upset me though if it turns out to be true is a System-wide metal interface. I took me a year before I could enjoy aqua... I hope metal interface is a sick joke.

AhmedFaisal
Mar 25, 2003, 04:48 AM
I hope ICQ will be supported. No one here in Europe uses America Offline.
Regards,

Ahmed

Sonofhaig
Mar 25, 2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by AhmedFaisal
I hope ICQ will be supported. No one here in Europe uses America Offline.

I don't blame anyone (Europe or America) not wanting "America Online".
It's poop!

mkarr7
Mar 25, 2003, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately, H.264 also requires very large amounts of processing power... something most macs, such as mine, are lacking in.

jholzner
Mar 25, 2003, 04:20 PM
Looprumors has updated this story to include a link to Apple's hiring page. The link doesn't go to a specific postion though. I searched through their openings and I assume that the position looprumors was linking to was for a codec developer...maybe for iChat 2??

dotcomlarry
Mar 25, 2003, 08:24 PM
One thing I'd like above all else is a notification in the chat window that a person has signed off or appears away. There have been many times when i'm chatting with someone, they sign off, but it doesn't notify me except thru the main list. Really annoying when you've typed something rather long out. Unless, of course, this is available in iChat, and i just have totally missed it.

Windowlicker
Mar 26, 2003, 04:55 PM
I'd love ICQ support! Yeah I know icq sucks, but I have all my friends on it, so....
I wouldn't mind using iChat as my icq client since all the clients out there are quite buggy or lack some features (ixq for example doesn't have file transfer)..

MasterX (OSiX)
Mar 26, 2003, 05:32 PM
My biggest complaints already mentioned i think better font and text color support could be in there (despite how much i like opening the text utility window, and hitting the colors drop down..). Hey just noticed iChat has a key command for show colors now, it's cmd-shift-C. well i think there should still be a button....

Rower_CPU
Mar 26, 2003, 07:13 PM
Of course we all realize that videoconferencing built into an Apple app also opens the door for speculation about an Apple webcam.

Given the lack of many OS X compatible webcams on the market, I can see apple making their own FW based cams. :)

notkevin
Mar 26, 2003, 11:28 PM
x

Windowlicker
Mar 27, 2003, 09:26 AM
no I didn't know it's owned by AOL :P ..and I don't really care as long as it works and I don't have to pay for it.

MacFan25
Mar 28, 2003, 12:40 PM
When did iChat 1.0 come out?

macguymike
Mar 28, 2003, 07:27 PM
I'd be happy with a larger text entry field, and the ability to have different icons for different screen names.

Okay, I want AIM with an iChat interface. I'll admit it. =)

notkevin
Mar 31, 2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by MacFan25
When did iChat 1.0 come out?

It came out with 10.2.

proxyma
Apr 4, 2003, 12:38 AM
hi,

please take a look here:
http://www.ichatmasters.net/

Thx, bye

evoluzione
Apr 7, 2003, 11:44 PM
i wanna be able to send and receive files with people on aol instant messenger, just does not seem to work for me...

Windowlicker
Apr 8, 2003, 04:33 PM
my thoughts about the never ending metal vs aqua discussion:

I do like the metal, but then again I do like aqua as much. What I think should be done is that all Apple apps would be metal and 3rd party software would be aqua. Then there'd be some sence on it.. then again it might suck as well.