PDA

View Full Version : Google CEO Joins Apple Board of Directors

Project
Aug 29, 2006, 04:19 PM
Apple on Tuesday said that Google CEO Eric Schmidt was elected to its board of directors. Dr. Schmidt also sits on Google's board of directors and Princeton University's board of trustees. He was previously chairman and CEO at Novell and CTO at Sun Microsystems.

"Eric is obviously doing a terrific job as CEO of Google, and we look forward to his contributions as a member of Apple's board of directors," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said in a press release. "Like Apple, Google is very focused on innovation and we think Eric's insights and experience will be very valuable in helping to guide Apple in the years ahead."

"Apple is one of the companies in the world that I most admire," Dr. Schmidt added. "I'm really looking forward to working with Steve and Apple's board to help with all of the amazing things Apple is doing."

www.apple.com/pr

yankeefan24
Aug 29, 2006, 04:22 PM
This was unexpected (for me at least). Maybe more Google integration with Leopard :D

Peace
Aug 29, 2006, 04:27 PM
It's looking more like Google/Apple vs Microsoft now..Interesting matchup!!

Grimace
Aug 29, 2006, 04:27 PM
This is GREAT news. :D

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 29, 2006, 04:33 PM

I wonder how much Apple will have Google's services integrated into its OS.

Earlier in the year, we heard that Apple would be creating its own maps feature - maybe, they will just be integrating Google Maps into its OS...

What does this mean for iChat? That, too, could be integrated with Google's Messenger program.

Gmail and Mail cooperation? Maybe that'll be worked on (as it's not too great at present).

My only hope is that iChat will eventually work with MSN Messenger - I know that there are a lot of people on this board who would love to see this happen.

Windows Live vs. Google.
Microsoft vs. Apple.

Interesting indeed :) .

Patch^
Aug 29, 2006, 04:34 PM

Yea, But I would probably put more at Google/Apple Vs Microsoft/Yahoo! because Microsoft was thinking of buying Yahoo! and it is integrating it in Windows Live (messenger etc).

With Google being a huge leader in Internet services it will help Apple's Image and promotion in some way. It may even lead to better .Mac services and Google apps etc.

Just playful thinking! lol

MacRumors
Aug 29, 2006, 04:37 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In a press release (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/aug/29bod.html), Apple announced that Dr. Eric Schmidt was named to Apple's Board of Directors (http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/bod.html) today.

Dr. Schmidt has a long resume, including current positions as CEO of Google, as a member of the Google board of directors, and on the Princeton University board of trustees. He was formerly CEO of Novell and Chief Technology Officer at Sun Microsystems Inc.

This brings to eight the number of Apple directors. The last appointment was Fred Anderson, who retired as Apple CFO (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/02/20040205091400.shtml) and joined the Board in June 2004.

"Eric is obviously doing a terrific job as CEO of Google, and we look forward to his contributions as a member of Apple's board of directors," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Like Apple, Google is very focused on innovation and we think Eric's insights and experience will be very valuable in helping to guide Apple in the years ahead."

~Shard~
Aug 29, 2006, 04:39 PM
I see this as a good move. Google seems to be filled with innovative ideas and has a creative mindset, similar to Apple's, so I see this as being a good fit.

WildCowboy
Aug 29, 2006, 04:41 PM
This is good news on so many fronts...provides a nice avenue for collaborations between the two companies, while hopefully reducing competition. That's not to say Google won't compete against Apple, but I'd think there would be more discussion and exchange of ideas that would help both companies.

Peace
Aug 29, 2006, 04:45 PM
This is good news on so many fronts...provides a nice avenue for collaborations between the two companies, while hopefully reducing competition. That's not to say Google won't compete against Apple, but I'd think there would be more discussion and exchange of ideas that would help both companies.

This in effect keeps Google from competing with Apple.As long as the Google CEO stays CEO of Google and is on Apple's Board there would be a conflict of interest in so many areas Google won't be competing against Apple for a long time.

Doctor Q
Aug 29, 2006, 04:45 PM
This makes one more vote for good support of Java technology in Mac OS X, since Dr. Schmidt led the Java development group at Sun.

BoyBach
Aug 29, 2006, 04:46 PM
This is the first move in the Google masterplan for taking over Apple Computers <shifty eyes>

But seriously, looking at Dr. Schmidt's experience, this can only be a good thing for the Apple business.

Google Adsense? = Commercials in iTunes! :eek:

ender78
Aug 29, 2006, 04:46 PM
Hmm... this seems like a somewhat unusual member of the board. Google and Apple to compete in the video distribution market, do I sense a change somewhere? How common is it to have competitors on your board?

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 29, 2006, 04:48 PM
Hmm... this seems like a somewhat unusual member of the board. Google and Apple to compete in the video distribution market, do I sense a change somewhere? How common is it to have competitors on your board?

I would hardly call Google a competitor...Google Video is doing terribly at the moment.

It's like Steve on Disney's board - he needs to lobby with other movie studios to get their content on iTunes, but he continues to work for Disney as well...

reno
Aug 29, 2006, 04:50 PM
this is one of those news items that will probably slip under the radar, but it actually could be quite significant in the long term. to me, it means more potential collaboration and joint ventures between Google and Apple. I see it as two entities that have become significant powers in the tech industry joining up to better technology overall and to also join the battle against the evil Micro$oft empire. i think we will see some good out of this.

BenRoethig
Aug 29, 2006, 04:54 PM
Anyone else see this as bringing a potentential successor should steve retire?

dizastor
Aug 29, 2006, 04:56 PM
mmm... the integration possibilities are endless

maybe .mac will start offering some decent disc space and reduce it's price based on a certain director's suggestion.

zap2
Lets bring MS down..i really hope this means Apple and Google will work together, with Google software fully support Apple, and Apple making sure Google's stuff works well in OS X.

Pistol Pete
this is amazing news...now hopefully all google apps will come to mac.

odedia
Aug 29, 2006, 04:58 PM
Hopefully he'll be able to teach Apple a thing or two about proper localization, also for bi-directional services. :)

miketcool
Aug 29, 2006, 04:59 PM
Who is all on Apple's board currently?

prady16
Aug 29, 2006, 05:01 PM
A step towards integration of Google and Apple?
Imagine offering OS X as a web service of google!

Patch^
Aug 29, 2006, 05:02 PM
Who is all on Apple's board currently?

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/bod.html

Board of Directors

Fred D. Anderson
Partner, Elevation Partners
Former CFO, Apple Computer, Inc.

Bill Campbell
Chairman and former CEO
Intuit Corp.

Millard Drexler
Chairman and CEO
J. Crew

Albert Gore Jr.
Former Vice President of the United States

Steve Jobs
CEO, Apple

Arthur D. Levinson, Ph. D.
Chairman and CEO
Genentech

Dr. Eric Schmidt
CEO
Google

Jerry York
Chairman, President and CEO
Harwinton Capital

reyesmac
Aug 29, 2006, 05:04 PM
As long as they don't start putting advertisements in ANY of their applications or os, I will be ok with this. Integrating internet searches into spotlight and maps in to address book should not be too far off. Here is a list of what I think they can and should do with this kind of close relationship with Google.

Maps in addressbook
Internet searches in spotlight
A new revamped sherlock with mostly googleish searches
tv listings and showtimes in front row
watch google video in front row
global google image search
(search for downloadable images inside photoshop)
mac compatible versions of ALL google features/apps

BenRoethig
Aug 29, 2006, 05:05 PM
Lets bring MS down..i really hope this means Apple and Google will work together, with Google software fully support Apple, and Apple making sure Google's stuff works well in OS X.

An merger between Apple and Google would be a large step towards having the potential to do that. However, most you have have stated you'd rather Apple be a niche player than take the next step after that.

Epicurus
Aug 29, 2006, 05:07 PM
this is one of those news items that will probably slip under the radar, but it actually could be quite significant in the long term. to me, it means more potential collaboration and joint ventures between Google and Apple. I see it as two entities that have become significant powers in the tech industry joining up to better technology overall and to also join the battle against the evil Micro$oft empire. i think we will see some good out of this.

While I don't see this as a formal "partnership" between the companies, I do see this as a step in the right direction. Perhaps more Google apps will be pushed in the Mac OS direction (I'm looking at you, Picasa!). I hope that .Mac gets a price cut (possibly back to free?) and gets Apple-skinned versions of the Google web apps. Google has a lot of interesting ideas floating around, but not many of them have the polish of an Apple app.

Google video search would, and should stay a separate system, but their public offerings might be integrated into the iTunes storefront (like Podcasts and Audiobooks are, with a separate set of pages from the Music Store itself). I don't anticipate Writely being built into Pages or Google Spreadsheets becoming the long-rumored 'Numbers'. Google Page Creator might not be such a bad addition to iWeb/.Mac if it got a facelift.

Overall, I can only see this move benefitting both Apple and Google. When Steve Jobs joins the Google Board, then we'll know something big is cooking. Right now, however, the future is a little fuzzy. Bright, but fuzzy nonetheless.

bommai
Aug 29, 2006, 05:12 PM
When Bill Campbell joined the Apple Board, people thought Intuit products for Mac will improve, but so far, Quicken support on Mac trails Windows support. Hopefully Eric does a better job.

Also, I wonder what the environmentalist Gore thinks about Green Peace's bad rating of Apple.

IJ Reilly
Aug 29, 2006, 05:12 PM
This is nice I suppose, but before we get too excited about it, just ask yourself what good it's done to have Bill Campbell on board all these years. He's the only member of the board I have ever voted my shares against reappointment.

Edit: beat me to it by seconds!

Project
Aug 29, 2006, 05:14 PM
As long as they don't start putting advertisements in ANY of their applications or os, I will be ok with this. Integrating internet searches into spotlight and maps in to address book should not be too far off. Here is a list of what I think they can and should do with this kind of close relationship with Google.

Maps in addressbook
Internet searches in spotlight
A new revamped sherlock with mostly googleish searches
tv listings and showtimes in front row
watch google video in front row
global google image search
(search for downloadable images inside photoshop)
mac compatible versions of ALL google features/apps

I think you are closest here with the integration of Google services in OSX... be it maps, images etc. Puts Google on the desktop

HecubusPro
Aug 29, 2006, 05:24 PM
As long as Apple quality doesn't degrade because of this, which I have no idea why it would at this point, then this is an interesting non-issue to me.

It'd be interesting to see someone do a 6-dgrees of separation with the Apple board members. I wonder who I'm attached to? :)

thequicksilver
Aug 29, 2006, 05:29 PM
I'd appreciate it if someone more versed in business (especially US business) than I could answer this question.

Clearly Dr Schmidt is a worthy and successful businessman, but what are the advantages of him being on the board? He's going to be privy to privileged information about Apple which could (not suggesting would, I should note) potentially give Google a competitive advantage in key marketplaces. As Google's CEO, Schmidt is surely not going to help in any plans Apple might have to usurp existing Google products.

Perhaps this will indeed lead to partnerships etc, but giving the Google CEO a place on the board does not necessarily mean this, and his absence from the board certainly doesn't preclude this.

Is this simply a case of keeping your friends close and your enemies even closer? What practical gains does Apple have to gain by doing this?

runplaysleeprun
Aug 29, 2006, 05:29 PM
Maybe google calendar will work with Safari, and iCal. I've been wanting that for a while. And the upcoming iPhone.

the-fish
Aug 29, 2006, 05:33 PM
That was what I first thought too, although this will potentially bring improvements to Spotlight and .mac, and other web-integrated apps (Dashboard included?), and as someone said, the maps in Address Book and stuff like that. Hopefully Safari, Mail and iCal will benefit from this, although perhaps Dr Schmidt won't get as much influence, or be as fervently interested in Googlising OS X, as we hope.

Patch^
Aug 29, 2006, 05:38 PM

I was thinking of this, I'm not sure how I feel about it, I'd prefer some one like Jonathan Ives, but who knows! All we can do is wait. I see Jobs being around for a least 10 more years or so.

twoodcc
Aug 29, 2006, 05:39 PM
well this is certainly very good news. :cool: ;)

mdntcallr
Aug 29, 2006, 05:43 PM
non-news to me except that google is good (for all reasons i knew before):

1-Unlike Yahoo, Google is willing to keep details of user's searches private from Government's prying eyes.

2- Google Earth is mac friendly

3- yahoo Music stinks as it does NOT support macs. they wont allow music video's to be watched on macs. kinda lameass as there are multiple flash players.

4- the owners of google are building a plane with party rooms and bedrooms for fun. Sounds like they want to enjoy the money they earned. he whatever floats their boats, except if they were annoying on a basketball court like the ***** Mark Cuban

twoodcc
Aug 29, 2006, 05:49 PM
non-news to me except that google is good (for all reasons i knew before):

1-Unlike Yahoo, Google is willing to keep details of user's searches private from Government's prying eyes.

2- Google Earth is mac friendly

3- yahoo Music stinks as it does NOT support macs. they wont allow music video's to be watched on macs. kinda lameass as there are multiple flash players.

4- the owners of google are building a plane with party rooms and bedrooms for fun. Sounds like they want to enjoy the money they earned. he whatever floats their boats, except if they were annoying on a basketball court like the ***** Mark Cuban

yeah, i agree about the whole mark cuban thing. i can't stand him

StuPidQPid
Aug 29, 2006, 05:55 PM
Is this simply a case of keeping your friends close and your enemies even closer? What practical gains does Apple have to gain by doing this?

Sounds like a classic case of "My enemy's enemy is my friend"...

I wonder what he's getting paid?
I'm always sceptical that these appointments are just part of the "old-boy network"...

Badandy
Aug 29, 2006, 06:04 PM
A few people said this earlier in the thread. They said that it would reduce competition to Apple and that is good. No, not at all people: That is not good. In fact, that's how you stagnate and become less innovative. The more competition the better and cheaper goods and services can be bought.

jaduffy108
Aug 29, 2006, 06:14 PM
This is GREAT news. :D

### I wholeheartedly agree....wow. That dude is impressive.

Object-X
Aug 29, 2006, 06:17 PM
A few people said this earlier in the thread. They said that it would reduce competition to Apple and that is good. No, not at all people: That is not good. In fact, that's how you stagnate and become less innovative. The more competition the better and cheaper goods and services can be bought.

I think what they meant was less competition between Google and Apple; which is a good thing since both companies have a vested interest in competing against Microsoft. Too much competition in the same space can stifle innovation because everyone is basically making the same widget and are afraid to innovate because of risk. I think everyone here is basically thinking the same thing: a partnership between Apple and Google complements both companies.

n8236
Aug 29, 2006, 06:18 PM
First Intel, now Google, that owns!

celavato
Aug 29, 2006, 06:31 PM
Well, I guess Google search will remain a fixture in Safari (as opposed to being replaced with Yahoo as was once rumored). But don't hold your breath about Schmidt having an influence on .Mac. Fortunately, market forces probably will have an influence on .Mac, which is overpriced and underpowered. .Mac should be included with iLife.

BenRoethig
Aug 29, 2006, 06:35 PM
I was thinking of this, I'm not sure how I feel about it, I'd prefer some one like Jonathan Ives, but who knows! All we can do is wait. I see Jobs being around for a least 10 more years or so.

Ives is a great designer, but can he run a company? A good manager doesn't need to know how the pieces work, he/she needs to know how they fit.

dmealiffe
Aug 29, 2006, 06:36 PM
I predict Google and Apple announce merger plans in the near future.

What's the name name of the newly merged company you ask?

Goople.

:D

Westside guy
Aug 29, 2006, 06:41 PM
Perhaps more Google apps will be pushed in the Mac OS direction (I'm looking at you, Picasa!).

Google has already released an iPhoto plugin (http://picasa.google.com/web/mac_tools.html) that lets you upload to Picasa Web Albums. I don't really see the logic in them putting all that effort into porting the Picasa app over to OS X, when we've already got iPhoto.

Kingsly
Aug 29, 2006, 07:20 PM
I bet Steve Ballmer is completely freaking out!

In an interview with Fortune magazine (March 29, 2006), when asked if he used an iPod, he said, "No, I do not. Nor do my children.... I've got my kids brainwashed: You don't use Google, and you don't use an iPod."

WildCowboy
Aug 29, 2006, 07:26 PM
I bet Steve Ballmer is completely freaking out!

And that's different from normal how?

IJ Reilly
Aug 29, 2006, 07:33 PM
And that's different from normal how?

Zing! :D

(In reality though, having a CEO on the board is not at all like a commercial alliance with that company -- so Ballmer probably isn't any more freaked out than usual.)

Tommyg117
Aug 29, 2006, 07:40 PM
I agree that this is unexpected, I hope they integrate more gmail characteristics into leopard.

supremedesigner
Aug 29, 2006, 07:41 PM

Hmmm.. I wondered how many BOD does MS have? 1? :P

reno
Aug 29, 2006, 07:42 PM
this just in from Bill Gates ... "Can I be on Apple's board too?!"

mac 2005
Aug 29, 2006, 09:21 PM

Would you rather Steve Jobs make the same mistake again? Remember when he was so afraid of IBM that he gave away the store, so to speak, to Microsoft?

Right now, Google is "it." The company understands where computing is going, and it seems to be the only company that can truly stand up against the Microsoft "onslaught."

Apple gets it too, of course, but ... a partner, at long last, can't hurt.

iMikeT
Aug 29, 2006, 09:42 PM
I wonder how Steve Ballmer is taking this news.:D

oober_freak
Aug 29, 2006, 11:31 PM
I wonder how Steve Ballmer is taking this news.:D

In other news, a bald, fat man(who was jumping like a monkey) was seen tearing his clothes and running around in the streets.

HecubusPro
Aug 30, 2006, 12:02 AM
In other news, a bald, fat man(who was jumping like a monkey) was seen tearing his clothes and running around in the streets.

DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS!

I'm surprised the Balmer hasn't had a heart attack yet with all the shouting and jumping around he does. Still, he could definitely bring some sorely needed rah-rah style pep to the Apple board. :D

ferchu in mex
Aug 30, 2006, 12:34 AM
I think this is great, I remember when Google was just a little search engine!

Project
Aug 30, 2006, 01:21 AM
Well when the Gap CEO became a member of Apples board we had the retail stores start popping up shortly after.

seenew
Aug 30, 2006, 01:33 AM

AL GORE?!

balamw
Aug 30, 2006, 01:57 AM
Hmmm.. I wondered how many BOD does MS have? 1? :P
In case you were serious: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/bod/default.mspx

They're not lightweights either, but you will note the tendency to "old business" as compared w/Apple's Board. e.g. Merck vs. Genentech. :p

That was my first reaction too, and it's one that I could actually live with.

B

FFTT
Aug 30, 2006, 02:07 AM
Google wants to work on a browser and Safari could be much better .

They are also being less than secretive about
wanting to offer an alternative to Microsoft Office.

Maybe they are figuring on advertiser supported Web applications
that anyone can use?

Michael Dell must have his tail between his legs seeing this go down.

Doctor Q
Aug 30, 2006, 02:13 AM
Apple sorely needs a spreadsheet app. Google sorta has one.

eji
Aug 30, 2006, 02:34 AM
No, this isn't a partnership (yet), but I can imagine a number of ways in which a Google/Apple partnership would be absolutely great for us as users.

I was just thinking last night, Wouldn't it be great if Mail.app held on to the tags (aka labels) that Gmail uses when downloading POP mail? And wouldn't it be great if those labels "stuck" in Gmail when you sent using Mail.app? [I think there's an add-on called GTDtags that does something like this.]

And wouldn't it be useful if multiple users could edit a single calendar in both Google Calendar and iCal? [You will probably be able to do this in Leopard with CalDAV.]

Apple/OS X on your desktop paired with Google online. Whoa. Think Blogger/iWeb integration, Google mapping technology in OS X -- not to mention free iLife-created website and photo hosting with Google Pages and Picasa Albums...

In fact, I see Google as having done .Mac right. As TUAW pointed out the other day (http://www.tuaw.com/2006/08/23/macs-slow-death/), what Google offers is, with a few caveats, an awful lot better than what .Mac offers. And it's free. Maybe, as some people have suggested, that's where this addition of a new director is ultimately headed.

Machead III
Aug 30, 2006, 03:12 AM
mmm... the integration possibilities are endless

maybe .mac will start offering some decent disc space and reduce it's price based on a certain director's suggestion.

It needs to be very cheap if it's ever going to attract switchers, or if average Mac users are ever going to buy it. I mean really cheap, like 5 p/month max.

Shadow
Aug 30, 2006, 03:49 AM
AL GORE?!
Haha Microsoft, WE have a former vice-president! All you have is a fat, blading, shouting monkey man! :D

asterizk
Aug 30, 2006, 12:00 PM
Apple on Tuesday said that Google CEO Eric Schmidt was elected to its board of directors. Dr. Schmidt also sits on Google's board of directors and Princeton University's board of trustees. He was previously chairman and CEO at Novell and CTO at Sun Microsystems.

I figured something was going on when Steve singled out Google during his WWDC keynote...

junker
Aug 30, 2006, 02:11 PM
Does it bother anyone to know that Google saves your emails (if you use Gmail) and collects all google searches from each IP, flags them if "certain" words appear, then hands over to the proper authorities?

I'm not an a crook or pervert, but that's unimportant. It's about web ownership rights. I am concerned about Google's easy submission to the G-men and their demands for persoanl info, and it's intergration with my OS.

I recently bought a used G5 computer locally (with cash), the seller or I made no contact with Apple. Yet somehow they knew about the transaction (even the day on which the transaction occurred) and called to remind me that my 90 days were about to end and that I should buy Applecare.

Does anyone know how they know this? I never registered. I didn't want any info or emails. I did a re-install of Tiger, but I thought that I didn't register... though, I seem to remember it being unavoidable...hmmm..

Anyway, for me - I'm a little bothered by Google's practices (Though I really enjoy their recently aquired 3d software SketchUp) when it comes to info sharing.

kalisphoenix
Aug 30, 2006, 02:49 PM
I did a re-install of Tiger, but I thought that I didn't register... though, I seem to remember it being unavoidable...hmmm..

It's actually ridiculously simple. Don't plug in the ethernet cable.

Doctor Q
Aug 30, 2006, 02:54 PM
I don't think "stay off the Internet" is good advice. It's fair to ask how you can avoid giving out information without knowing it, and what happened to junker in this case. You should start a separate thread to ask about it, since it's off-topic here.

eenu
Aug 30, 2006, 02:56 PM
oh isn't this funny after the post i made highlighting that jobs mentioned 'Google and Apple' in his WWDC06 speech.....

IMHO there is something on the horizon for Apple and Google

shawnce
Aug 30, 2006, 05:05 PM
AL GORE?!

Yeah he helped bring the internet to the Mac seeing how he invented it. ;)

lkrupp
Aug 30, 2006, 05:36 PM
The fact that Google's CEO is now on Apple's board means absolutely nothing. Directors don 't have any direct involvement in the running of a company, or its future direction. Boards exist as a sort of oversight committee to make sure the interests of the shareholders are represented and that the company is complying with all applicable laws.

Just remember that Intuit's chairman and former CEO is also on Apple's board and Intuit could care less about the Mac market. While Campbell was on the board Intuit actually announced it was ceasing development of Quicken for Mac.

Wishful thinking is perfectly ok. Just remember that reality is often not what you expect.

mdriftmeyer
Aug 30, 2006, 08:20 PM
Real simple: Eric left SUN, Steve is not a big fan of SUN ("SUN is no Apple)--this goes back to the NeXT/Sun Openstep debacle, Eric did a ****** job at Novell and since leaving Novell has turned itself around with SUSE.

Google founders are still in charge at Google. Schmidt is bringing business connections to Wall Street.

Schmidt is not a visionary. Steve learned the last time. He'll find a successor when the company has finally drawn a portion of the market that silence the critics.

Steve loves being the CEO of Apple.

If he hadn't mentioned pancreatic cancer (curable strain) this would be a discussion centered around integrated some of Google Services within custom Cocoa Services.

sbrhwkp3
Aug 31, 2006, 09:36 AM
http://www.marketwatch.com/tvradio/playerFull.asp?media=0&band=0&remPref=1&guid=%7BE8439D87-05DB-47BA-85D5-3AF9AB32100C%7D&siteid=aolpf

Right there, you can listen to a reporter talking about Google and Apple. He claims that part of Apple's phone is going to be working with google, in addition to the iTunes music store. What do you all think?

Westside guy
Aug 31, 2006, 10:29 AM
Haha Microsoft, WE have a former vice-president! All you have is a fat, blading, shouting monkey man! :D

Well, based on the terms Microsoft was able to get from the Justice Department after losing the monopoly case... I'd say they have the whole executive branch. :p

Bosunsfate
Sep 2, 2006, 11:20 AM
AL GORE?!

Al Gore is actually on the board of a number of Tech Companies in the Bay Area.

At least he isn't an Oil Man....:rolleyes:

weg
Sep 3, 2006, 03:02 PM
Maybe google calendar will work with Safari, and iCal. I've been wanting that for a while. And the upcoming iPhone.

Even though I'd very much love to see that, too (and seamless integration of GMail into Spotlight ;-)) I doubt that a board member will suggest such tiny technical details.. I'm sure they think bigger ;-) (Hopefully)

runplaysleeprun
Sep 5, 2006, 03:51 PM
Even though I'd very much love to see that, too (and seamless integration of GMail into Spotlight ;-)) I doubt that a board member will suggest such tiny technical details.. I'm sure they think bigger ;-) (Hopefully)

Get this, gmail calendar just worked in Safari for me. A week ago it did not. Hmmmm....