Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
I have always been confused on Apple's philosophy on this, maybe someone could please explain it to me.

Aside from the larger screen space, there is no reason to buy a 17 inch MacPro. I have owned two Powerbook G4s and stay current with Apple news and know that besides resolution there is no difference in options or power that is availible.

Almost all computer makers (Apple is better than others..lol) make it worth users while to buy their 17 inch computers by increasing performance.

While I would like to see a 17 inch Macbookpro have a better GPU, what would really make sense is giving it the ability to have 4 gigs of memory, more hardrive space, (HEY, how about firewire).

Would anyone else like to see Apple actually make the 17 inch MacbookPro worth the price? I just find it silly to have a computer that size if you could get identical performance in a 15 inch model with only slightly higher resolution.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Emrtr4 said:
I have always been confused on Apple's philosophy on this, maybe someone could please explain it to me.

Aside from the larger screen space, there is no reason to buy a 17 inch MacPro. I have owned two Powerbook G4s and stay current with Apple news and know that besides resolution there is no difference in options or power that is availible.

Almost all computer makers (Apple is better than others..lol) make it worth users while to buy their 17 inch computers by increasing performance.

While I would like to see a 17 inch Macbookpro have a better GPU, what would really make sense is giving it the ability to have 4 gigs of memory, more hardrive space, (HEY, how about firewire).

Would anyone else like to see Apple actually make the 17 inch MacbookPro worth the price? I just find it silly to have a computer that size if you could get identical performance in a 15 inch model with only slightly higher resolution.
So you don't think the 17" features that exceed the pimped out 15" are worth $300?

- Bigger screen, higher resolution
- add firewire 800 port
- add another USB 2.0 port
- add 20 GB more disk capacity
- 8x DOUBLE LAYER superdrive vs 4x SINGLE LAYER superdrive on 15"
- A GPU that's not under clocked like the 15" (search the forums)
- higher capacity battery

Seems well worth it to me. I think the high-end 15" is a bit overpriced when compared to the 17". On the 15" I'd go with the low-end and add memory and a bigger disk, then put the original disk in a FW400 enclosure for backups. You'd have money left over, and you'll never notice the difference in CPU performance (166 MHz). I don't think the graphics memory is that big a deal, personally. YMMV.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
Emrtr4 said:
I have owned two Powerbook G4s and stay current with Apple news and know that besides resolution there is no difference in options or power that is availible.

apparently you do not read very well. in addition to what daveL mentioned, the machine also apparently runs a bit cooler due to its higher surface area dissipating the heat.

using the edu discount, the price difference for a 17 and a 15 with the same RAM and hard drive is only $210; you get all the additional benefits. i think that is most definitely worth my while.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
The 17" video card is -less- underclocked if I remember right. Either that or it scales back and forth (or perhaps that was the iMac).

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
daveL said:
That's the BF link I read. Thanks.

Your sig says TiBook 1 GHz / 4GB - you have 4 GB in a TiBook? I have the same model TiBook with 1 GB. Didn't know you could even go that high.

No...he has a 4th generation iPod, tho :p

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah, this thread seems to be going nowhere. I'm getting a MBP 17" as soon as the Core2Duo's are released, and I'm buying the 17" over the 15" for the reasons that have been explained in this thread, apart from the original posters' comments.

The 17" certainly is worth the $300 extra. I don't see an argument that could state otherwise except personal preference.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I own both a 15" and a 17". I did a review on both of them, I am search you can find the thread around here.

Everyone at my work uses the 15" (as far as MBP goes, we have a number of people who use a MB as well) and they laugh at the size of my 17". I totally love the 17".

Its really funny watching people use my 17" then go back to using their 13" Macbook ... :D

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
I love my 17'' and it is perfect for college also it is very much locked up to ensure, any "mishaps"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.