PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 High Resolution

dpaanlka
Aug 30, 2006, 08:21 PM
The last 17" models of the PowerBook G4 were a higher resolution than the earlier ones. Does anyone know if it is possible to put one of these higher resolution screens into an earlier PowerBook G4... such as my 1ghz?

What kind of panel do these machines use?

SuperCompu2
Aug 30, 2006, 08:27 PM
I'd think the graphics card would give you trouble with an earlier model
but i dont know...

baxterbrittle
Aug 31, 2006, 11:45 AM
The last 17" models of the PowerBook G4 were a higher resolution than the earlier ones. Does anyone know if it is possible to put one of these higher resolution screens into an earlier PowerBook G4... such as my 1ghz?

What kind of panel do these machines use?

You should check out the other thread on this. I have put a 1920x1200 display into my 1GHz 15". The 1680x1050 should work out for you just fine - you should probably even avoid getting an Apple one as Dell etc.. are cheaper. Not sure if the Geforce Go440 would allow it though as I've only tried with Radeon based PB but it really is worth a go and should it not work just pop back in old screen and sell the new one on ebay.

I say go the WUXGA though.

macmojo
Apr 1, 2010, 12:04 PM
You should check out the other thread on this. I have put a 1920x1200 display into my 1GHz 15". The 1680x1050 should work out for you just fine - you should probably even avoid getting an Apple one as Dell etc.. are cheaper. Not sure if the Geforce Go440 would allow it though as I've only tried with Radeon based PB but it really is worth a go and should it not work just pop back in old screen and sell the new one on ebay.

I say go the WUXGA though.

I would like to replace my wsxga with a wuxgs for my powerbook 17, 1.67GHz,
Radeo 9700 w/128MB VRAM. But every time I call or email the various vendors on the web, who are selling MAC LCD panels, are asking me for a part number. I have no idea what the part number for a WUXGA would be for my apple. Furthermore, I want to buy one that has the same video and invertor connectors as what I have now. The reason I want to go WUXGA is that my current LCD has gone a little blurry, probably after a drop. Nothing serious, just annoying. Please let me know where I can bu such an LCD panel that has same connectors as the original WSXGA 1680x1050.

Cheers,

MacMojo