PDA

View Full Version : To all lovers of the PB 12" and itīs perfect size!

ChrisTom58
Aug 31, 2006, 03:03 AM
I subscribed here for just one reason:
To start efforts to make Apple decide to build a 12" Mac Book Pro.

For the first I wait and see what reactions I get, maybe somebody tells me there is already something going on somewhere, or even some chance it is going to be built.
If this is not the case, Iīm going to start a public poll and lateron have a petition sent to Apple for that case.

Please give me your comments!

kind regards

Chris

sunfast
Aug 31, 2006, 03:22 AM
There's been a lot of debate on this (have a search of the forums) and it doesn't appear to be on the agenda. At least not at the moment.

CrackedButter
Aug 31, 2006, 03:23 AM
I want Apple to sell a 12" MacBook Pro but doing it here is pointless, you need to email Apple directly.

John Jacob
Aug 31, 2006, 03:39 AM
I love my 12" PowerBook and I really want Apple to make a 12" (or 13" widescreen) MacBook Pro. I hope it will happen some day. There was a thread a while back where some industry analysts felt that Apple is working on an ultraportable. Let's hope it happens (and that the ultraportable is an ultrathin ultralight version of the 12" PowerBook and not a crippled machine with no integrated optical drive). :cool:

CrackedButter
Aug 31, 2006, 07:57 AM
I love my 12" PowerBook and I really want Apple to make a 12" (or 13" widescreen) MacBook Pro. I hope it will happen some day. There was a thread a while back where some industry analysts felt that Apple is working on an ultraportable. Let's hope it happens (and that the ultraportable is an ultrathin ultralight version of the 12" PowerBook and not a crippled machine with no integrated optical drive). :cool:

NO 13" Wide screen.

mduser63
Aug 31, 2006, 11:07 AM
I'd like a 12" MacBook Pro, but I really don't think it's going to happen. Apple has stated that the MacBook is the replacement for the iBook and the 12" PowerBook. The 12" PowerBook was in many ways a souped-up iBook anyway, missing many of the features of the 15" and 17" PowerBooks. The MacBook includes features (line-in, screen spanning, etc) that used to be in the 12" PowerBook but not the iBook. The only thing that would likely differentiate a 12" MBP from the MacBooks (besides the slightly different screen size) is a dedicated graphics card.

CrackedButter
Aug 31, 2006, 05:15 PM
I'd like a 12" MacBook Pro, but I really don't think it's going to happen. Apple has stated that the MacBook is the replacement for the iBook and the 12" PowerBook. The 12" PowerBook was in many ways a souped-up iBook anyway, missing many of the features of the 15" and 17" PowerBooks. The MacBook includes features (line-in, screen spanning, etc) that used to be in the 12" PowerBook but not the iBook. The only thing that would likely differentiate a 12" MBP from the MacBooks (besides the slightly different screen size) is a dedicated graphics card.

Also a lighter weight and its portable. Apple could go even further with this as well to make it different.

ChrisTom58
Sep 3, 2006, 12:12 PM
I tried the 15" MBP some days ago and it looked and felt enourmous to me.
My 12" is such a handy companion with all the features I need...why get a clumsier one?

I think starting a public poll, gathering electronic signatures from all the people who would like to see a 12" MBP produced and handing this lateron over to Apple, maybe that could change their mind.

Iīm willing to undergo that effort...

CrackedButter
Sep 3, 2006, 12:49 PM
I tried the 15" MBP some days ago and it looked and felt enourmous to me.
My 12" is such a handy companion with all the features I need...why get a clumsier one?

I think starting a public poll, gathering electronic signatures from all the people who would like to see a 12" MBP produced and handing this lateron over to Apple, maybe that could change their mind.

Iīm willing to undergo that effort...

Have you contacted Apple yet anyway? Just an email. Your thread got me to do it, I emailed steve@mac.com. But don't bother if you do it, the mailbox quota has been reached!

ChrisTom58
Sep 3, 2006, 07:36 PM
In any way Iīll talk with some programmers today, and try to get the webpage set up.
The page will be simple. One will have the choice to click a Yes or No option for the petition to Apple to build the MBP 12".
Maybe I also add something like an "I would buy it!" option to choose.
Verification by valid eamiladress....hmm, this might distract some people because of fear of spam.

Lucky me: Iīm working since 5 months as a consultant for a SW developing company, so I have sources....

Let you know whatīs going on.

Chris

technicolor
Sep 3, 2006, 07:43 PM
I would love a 12 inch mbp. I have been thikning about getting a used 12inch powerbook, but I still havent found one in a price im willing to pay.

Warbrain
Sep 3, 2006, 10:25 PM
The only way you'll see a laptop from Apple now that is 12" is if it's an ultra-compact. I doubt Apple will make a 12" MBP.

ChrisTom58
Sep 3, 2006, 11:14 PM
I sent them a feedback in the MBP feedback section, subgroup "Enhancement Request".
Letīs see....

azzurri000
Sep 4, 2006, 12:50 AM
I'm with you. I wish there was a 12" MBP that I could buy.

dornoforpyros
Sep 4, 2006, 01:06 AM
sorry kids, I think you'll have to except the fact that the 13" MB is the replacement for the 12" powerbook.

Personally I always felt the 1024 x 768 resolution was too small for any real use anyways, but that's just me.

Although I do agree, the white MB's do look a little bit like toys, the black ones are a little nicer, but still not as classy as aluminum.

hayduke
Sep 4, 2006, 01:12 AM
I don't think it will happen. It would completely screw up their pricing. The MBs are all 13", so they might introduce a MBP at 13". They already know what the demand is like for the 12" PB. Based on my own (non-quantitative) observations the 15" was the most widely purchased and the 12" and 17" where not as mainstream. Although, admittedly, the 12" and 17" PB fans are pretty fanatical about those sizes, respectively. I just don't think they comprised enough market share. I'm skeptical about a 13" MBP though. Too close in size to the 15". My guess is that the sizes will remain for some time.

MistaBungle
Sep 4, 2006, 02:49 AM
I love my PB12, perfect size, perfect speed, perfect everything for what I need. And I'm almost ashamed to admit that I was planning on selling it to get a MBP15. I've given my head a proper shake and decided that I am keeping my PB12 until she dies and will be picking up an iMac sometime after Leopard launches.

Long live the PB12!!!

CrackedButter
Sep 4, 2006, 07:59 AM
I sent them a feedback in the MBP feedback section, subgroup "Enhancement Request".
Letīs see....

I did say don't email that particular address because it wouldn't work.

sorry kids, I think you'll have to except the fact that the 13" MB is the replacement for the 12" powerbook.

Personally I always felt the 1024 x 768 resolution was too small for any real use anyways, but that's just me.

Although I do agree, the white MB's do look a little bit like toys, the black ones are a little nicer, but still not as classy as aluminum.

Bzzzzzzt! Thanks for playing. The 1024x768 res is fine and I'm sure 12" users (of either the iBook or PowerBook) would have a secondary screen if they needed one, some people accept small screens and some other people want them. I'm staying with this 12" iBook until they release another 12" machine in an acceptable time frame (when I'm ready to buy another 1-3 years) or I'll go eBay and get a 12" PBook really cheap.

a456
Sep 4, 2006, 08:04 AM
I subscribed here for just one reason:
To start efforts to make Apple decide to build a 12" Mac Book Pro.

For the first I wait and see what reactions I get, maybe somebody tells me there is already something going on somewhere, or even some chance it is going to be built.
If this is not the case, Iīm going to start a public poll and lateron have a petition sent to Apple for that case.

Please give me your comments!

kind regards

Chris

My 12" PowerBook has been a trusty friend that slips easily into a rucksack and can be taken wherever I go. Recently it fell out of my rucksack and dropped six feet onto a brick surface. It dented the corner, but survived without complaint. The pro machines feel tougher, built to last longer (both physically and tech wise) and worth the extra. This is why I would prefer a 12 or 13" Pro to the standard MacBook.:cool:

Abstract
Sep 4, 2006, 08:04 AM
Since I did switch from a 12" PB to a MacBook, all I have to say is that I love my MacBook and wouldn't go back to a 12" PB if it came with an Intel chip. The MacBook isn't much bigger (it's wider, but not as "tall" with the display up), and every difference is neglible except the resolution and screen, which are significantly more usable. :)

Dagless
Sep 4, 2006, 08:07 AM
I'm using a 12" PowerBook now. I wish Apple didn't make this model :( I would have pushed further and saved up more for the 15" PowerBook instead. I would absolutely love for a 15" MBP. My next Apple purchase no doubt.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Sep 4, 2006, 08:11 AM
Since I did switch from a 12" PB to a MacBook, all I have to say is that I love my MacBook and wouldn't go back to a 12" PB if it came with an Intel chip. The MacBook isn't much bigger (it's wider, but not as "tall" with the display up), and every difference is neglible except the resolution and screen, which are significantly more usable. :)I have to agree 100% with this.

I went from a 12" iBook G4, which I loved, to a 13" MacBook, and 10 wild horses couldn't drag me back. The 13" widescreen is perfect when it comes to size vs usability: The MacBook is just as portable as the iBook, while the 1280x800 resolution is much, much better than 1024x768.

dmw007
Sep 4, 2006, 08:18 AM
A 12" MacBook Pro would be great- I loved the portability of my 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4, but I needed more power and dedicated graphics so I went with my 15.4" MBP. :)

Scarlet Fever
Sep 4, 2006, 08:26 AM
aight, it seems we all want a MacBook Pro mini, so what specs do you want, and for what price point?

13" widescreen 1280 * 800
2.0 GHz CD (2.16 BTO)
512MB RAM (up to 2GB)
Superdrive
AP+BT
iSight
mini DVI (is it technically possible to run a 30" through a mini DVI?)
dedicated GPU 128MB VRAM
FrontRow
aluminium case

Basically a MacBook with a dedicated GPU
all yours for $2800 AUD ($1750 USD)

what do ya reckon?

miniConvert
Sep 4, 2006, 08:32 AM
Apple need an ultraportable. It's a gaping whole in their product lineup and now they're using Intel processors there's really no excuse. I believe that the intense work on transitioning the existing product lineup to Intel is the only reason why we haven't seen new form factors come out of Copertino yet, and I believe that it's only a matter of time until their creative talents are unleashed upon the world yet again with some innovative solutions to plug the gaps in their portfolio where they're getting pummeled by the competition.

dmw007
Sep 4, 2006, 08:37 AM
aight, it seems we all want a MacBook Pro mini, so what specs do you want, and for what price point?

2.0 GHz CD (2.16 BTO)
512MB RAM (up to 2GB)
Superdrive
AP+BT
iSight
dedicated GPU 128MB VRAM
FrontRow
aluminium case

what do ya reckon?

Sounds nice, but a 12" LCD would be plenty- gotta keep the weight and bulkiness down. :)

Apple need an ultraportable.

Amen! :D

a456
Sep 4, 2006, 08:38 AM

2.0 GHz CD (2.16 BTO)
512MB RAM (up to 2GB)
Superdrive
AP+BT
iSight
dedicated GPU 128MB VRAM
FrontRow
aluminium case

what do ya reckon?

When Apple first released the PowerBook G4 12" they went to great lengths to insist that it wasn't just an iBook in a different case, and I think this only really comes across in using the two different machines on a regular basis. Drop the 'mini' tag and the 'MacBook with a dedicated GPU' idea and slap on a Firewire 800, the Express port and the illuminated keyboard and make it truly a macbook pro.

miniConvert
Sep 4, 2006, 08:42 AM
I've submitted an email here btw: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

Anyone else who feels strongly about this gap in the product lineup should probably do the same... heaven forbid I have to buy another Windows ultraportable when my tiny but feature-packed Sony Vaio T2XP (using an Intel Ultra Low Voltage processor) comes to the end of it's life.

mjstew33
Sep 4, 2006, 08:45 AM
miniConvert - have you held a MacBook underneath your arm and just held it? You should before you buy a Winblows™ laptop. Seriously. ;)

Sesshi
Sep 4, 2006, 10:37 AM
miniConvert - have you held a MacBook underneath your arm and just held it? You should before you buy a Winblows™ laptop. Seriously. ;)

Arranged for Applecare collection for my MacBlows™ Pro. Hopefully it'll come back fixed.

All you need to do is look at the Sony VAIO SZ2VP for what a 13.3" MBP might be slightly inferior to :p Lovely machine - better than any Apple laptop I've used to date, although it's a tad noisier (but runs truly usably cool, unlike the Macbook or the MBP). Sizewise it's on a par with the Macbook, being thinner at the front but thicker at the back.

The SZ2 has the 13.3" screen and driving it, dual GPU's no less - a Macbook-style integrated graphics card for running long battery life, and a Geforce Go for when you're on AC power or don't mind short battery life. And a whole host of other nice little features. And I draw your attention to the fully-laden weight, shown below.

It also delivers in the aesthetics department. It's not actually quite black but a more complex raven like colour. I like the shiny, look-at-me styling of the Powerbook/Macbook Pros to an extent, but the understated 'more substance than style' (the otherwise unassuming casing is carbon fibre) nature of the SZ is much more to my liking.

Plus it really delivers in the portable stakes. Such a kick butt laptop with no issues whatsoever since delivery, even with the slight reduction in system 'niceness' with Windows it's a better truly portable working environment than anything from Apple right now. They may have thrown nearly everything else away, but Sony still has what it takes in the laptop department. "Konichiwa B*****s" indeed ;)

cube
Sep 4, 2006, 10:42 AM
10.6"

dornoforpyros
Sep 4, 2006, 10:55 AM
Bzzzzzzt! Thanks for playing. The 1024x768 res is fine and I'm sure 12" users (of either the iBook or PowerBook) would have a secondary screen if they needed one, some people accept small screens and some other people want them. I'm staying with this 12" iBook until they release another 12" machine in an acceptable time frame (when I'm ready to buy another 1-3 years) or I'll go eBay and get a 12" PBook really cheap.

ahh ok. so I'm not entitled to an opinion? bzzzt you buddy :rolleyes:

Scarlet Fever
Sep 4, 2006, 10:48 PM
10.6"
that would be nice, but you would have to have a mini keyboard, and to keep the specs of even the MacBook, it would have to be quite thick. Apple don't like thick.

When Apple first released the PowerBook G4 12" they went to great lengths to insist that it wasn't just an iBook in a different case, and I think this only really comes across in using the two different machines on a regular basis. Drop the 'mini' tag and the 'MacBook with a dedicated GPU' idea and slap on a Firewire 800, the Express port and the illuminated keyboard and make it truly a macbook pro.ah yeah, i forgot about those... backlit keyboard is a must... FireWire 800 isn't on the 15", is it? And i don't think there would be enough room in the 13/12" MBP to put an express card slot. Was there one in the 12" PB?

Sesshi
Sep 5, 2006, 03:33 AM
The Sony manages to fit in both an Expresscard slot and a PCMCIA slot (as well as a memory card reader) so I guess Apple might manage an Expresscard.

ChrisTom58
Sep 5, 2006, 09:54 PM
this keeps it as small as possible. I think 12" is all you need for on-the road-work, for all the other stuff you will connect a large display.

I think the size is one of the biggest pros for the 12". You can use it easily on the folding tables in planes and trains without having to hold it with one hand to prevent it from slipping down. Even in a taxi, when you have to get it out to look for that adress you didnīt write down before, itīs so much more handy than the bigger ones.

Well, and sorry for being a die-hard yesterdays guy, but I wouldnīt need widescreen on my 12" MBP, enough to have it on a second display.

Basically like the 12" G4, with at least 128 MB RAM for Graphics and of course a dedicated GPU would do

ChrisTom58
Sep 5, 2006, 10:08 PM
Personally I wouldnīt need a whatsoever-cardslot, came around the need for this with USB devices in the past.

What about isight, dear posters?

BTW: Thereīs going to be a website for this, I promise!
Programming is already under way.
Iīm just not sure how to proof to people, willing to vote, that I am not going to use their emailadresses for spamming, but only for the petition that I will send to Apple.

Anybody any ideas?