PDA

View Full Version : Apple Event September 12th? Movie Store? [Updated]

MacRumors
Aug 31, 2006, 11:28 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

With few details available, the validity of this remains uncertain, but Electronista claims (http://www.electronista.com/articles/06/08/30/apple.sept.12.press.event/) that Apple may be holding a special press event on September 12th, 2006 based on an "official" email sent to Your Mac Life.

The date corresponds to the start of Apple Expo Paris (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060821202913.shtml) which runs from September 12th to 16th. It has already been announced, however, that there will be no Keynote event for the Apple Expo.

Meanwhile, Businessweek (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/aug2006/db20060831_806225.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives) also places an announcement from Apple in the same time frame. According to their sources, Apple plans to start offering Movie downloads through iTunes in mid-September.

Finally, many users are expecting (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060814180417.shtml) Apple to release Core 2 Duo based laptops in September, but no further hints of this have been revealed.

Update: Mac4Ever is also reporting that Apple will be hosting a September 12th Event which will take place in San Francisco and be streamed to London.

Update 2: MacBidouille confirms that there will be a Keynote in San Francisco that will be relayed to London.
- It was originally reported that Steve jobs will not deliver a Keynote at Apple Expo. He will indeed not be in Paris; but a Keynote will be organized in cupertino and relayed in London at Apple Europe HeadQuarter, where journalists have already been invited. There will are not relay organized at AppleExpo

[ digg this ] (http://www.digg.com/apple/Apple_Event_September_12th_Movie_Store)

paddy
Aug 31, 2006, 11:29 AM
Hope this has something to do with a mac mini update, I'm holding out for the next.

Quartz Extreme
Aug 31, 2006, 11:29 AM
Merom MacBook Pro + Conroe iMac + speedbumped Mac mini + iTunes movie downloads + widescreen video iPod

moot
Aug 31, 2006, 11:30 AM
This has to be iPod related. There is that rumor of a large shipment from Asia.

supremedesigner
Aug 31, 2006, 11:33 AM
Merom MacBook Pro + Conroe iMac + speedbumped Mac mini + iTunes movie downloads + widescreen video iPod

Maybe black iMac?

Chundles
Aug 31, 2006, 11:33 AM
I'll believe it when I see the invitation, a proper one, not one of my dodgy photoshopped ones.

~Shard~
Aug 31, 2006, 11:38 AM
A Movie Store would be great in theory, but as I've said before, it totally depends on how Apple structures it. Selection, compression, encoding, file sizes, txfer times, aspect ratios, cost/movie, etc. etc. Also, at the end of the day it doesn't matter in some respects since I'm in Canada and can't access the service regardless. :p ;)

Past this Movie Store though, Merom MacBooks are definitely due, and the Mac minis have to be right around the corner too, since they're still using Core Solo, let alone Core Duo and now Core 2 Duo. And, of course, that leaves the good old iMac as well - it would be nice to see it get a nice refresh with Conroe. :cool:

CJM
Aug 31, 2006, 11:38 AM
... Who cares about iTunes?

I've been putting off a new mac for YEARS! Gief Core Duo 2 iMacs!

baxterbrittle
Aug 31, 2006, 11:39 AM
I don't care what it is, just give us something new to talk about. Mac Pro really nice machine but we saw it coming months in advance. Maybe not he exact spec but yeah we all knew it was coming. Same with Merom, Conroe etc... Give us something new, really new. All we have had for what seems like an age is Intel switch this Intel switch that. I don't care what processor they use as long as they are faster than they were before and it's still a Mac. I want nay, need a new product - something so I know that Apple are still innovating. Switching to Intel, no innovation there just good sense.

gugy
Aug 31, 2006, 11:41 AM
If there is a Special Event then we might see the new Ipod Video and maybe the Itunes Movie Store.

To go a little crazy, maybe the Media Center.

Updates for MacMini and Laptops at this time will be a simple Tuesday update on Apple's site. I see no reason to have an Special Event for that.

wonderkid
Aug 31, 2006, 11:42 AM
...and 5 years later, with no major innovations since iPod Video, it makes sense that to not only counter Microsoft's Zune, but to maintain their market presence and sales (which is starting to slow), that a major innovation is required. I am NOT sold on portable video as a unique selling point, as no one spends a prolonged period of time looking at small screen devices (unless for gaming or limited web surfing), and I am more inclined to believe Apple will launch something radical that is as innovative as the original iPod. Perhaps with a far more sophisticated OS, a touch screen, some form of wireless capability (WiFi/Bluetooth 2.0) for interdevice media transfer/wireless headphones/broadcast/syncing, proper PDA functionality and the ability to use as a VoIP and/or 2/2.5G/3G phone, either internally or via Bluetooth. The number one selling point will be the touch screen and more advanced OS, allowing it to take on various roles. And if it doesn't, I'm going to make one, so there. (I kid you not!)

toughboy
Aug 31, 2006, 11:45 AM
I don't care what it is, just give us something new to talk about. Mac Pro really nice machine but we saw it coming months in advance. Maybe not he exact spec but yeah we all knew it was coming. Same with Merom, Conroe etc... Give us something new, really new. All we have had for what seems like an age is Intel switch this Intel switch that. I don't care what processor they use as long as they are faster than they were before and it's still a Mac. I want nay, need a new product - something so I know that Apple are still innovating. Switching to Intel, no innovation there just good sense.

Stop reading forums and rumor sites, and everything will be news to you..

Kashchei
Aug 31, 2006, 11:47 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth!

~Shard~
Aug 31, 2006, 11:48 AM
I've been putting off a new mac for YEARS! Gief Core Duo 2 iMacs!

Yep, that would be nice! Being that Apple touts the iMac as being their "flagship model" in many respects, you think that they would ensure it is always as up to date and competitive as possible. I think a Conroe iMac would be great, but perhaps Apple is holding off due to a redesign. I don't know how much they could change the iMac, or if they'd want to right now but who knows...

epicwelshman
Aug 31, 2006, 11:49 AM
...and 5 years later, with no major innovations since iPod Video, it makes sense that to not only counter Microsoft's Zune, but to maintain their market presence and sales (which is starting to slow), that a major innovation is required. I am NOT sold on portable video as a unique selling point, as no one spends a prolonged period of time looking at small screen devices (unless for gaming or limited web surfing), and I am more inclined to believe Apple will launch something radical that is as innovative as the original iPod. Perhaps with a far more sophisticated OS, a touch screen, some form of wireless capability (WiFi/Bluetooth 2.0) for interdevice media transfer/wireless headphones/broadcast/syncing, proper PDA functionality and the ability to use as a VoIP and/or 2/2.5G/3G phone, either internally or via Bluetooth. The number one selling point will be the touch screen and more advanced OS, allowing it to take on various roles. And if it doesn't, I'm going to make one, so there. (I kid you not!)

If Apple made a new handheld with PDA, video, and audio features based around the iPod innovations... I'm there man, I'd so buy one.

~Shard~
Aug 31, 2006, 11:52 AM
If Apple made a new handheld with PDA, video, and audio features based around the iPod innovations... I'm there man, I'd so buy one.

What about cell phone capabilities too? :p ;)

HecubusPro
Aug 31, 2006, 11:53 AM
OBVIOUS NEWS STORY!!

Apple will hold a special event during a week long special event!!

dsnort
Aug 31, 2006, 11:55 AM
After what we got at WWDC, I'm not getting my hopes up yet. My oldest Mac is just 8 months old so new processors won't mean much to me. My iPod Nano isn't full yet so not really interested in those. Could get excited about an iPhone, but only if it were in the Treo / Blackberry category as that would really help me in my work.

drdan
Aug 31, 2006, 11:56 AM
the "mac+ipod" back to school special runs through september 15. his steveness has pretty reliably held new releases until the day after those kinds of specials end. i believe a significant speed bump on the macbook pros and mac minis is imminent, along with some significant revisions to the ipod.

i'm keeping an eye on my stock.

Caitlyn
Aug 31, 2006, 11:56 AM
New Apple Cinema Displays with glossy screens and iSights would be amazing. :)

hyperpasta
Aug 31, 2006, 12:01 PM
...and 5 years later, with no major innovations since iPod Video...

I'd count the click wheel as an innovation... but you're right, Apple needs to innovate again.

runninmac
Aug 31, 2006, 12:09 PM
OBVIOUS NEWS STORY!!

Apple will hold a special event during a week long special event!!

Well you see steve isn't giving a keynote at the Paris expo... so thats why its news :rolleyes:

Peace
Aug 31, 2006, 12:11 PM
If there were a special event like the one described iLounge would have received one.

Thats not to say there won't be any Apple event around the Paris Expo.I'm sure there will be.Just because Jobs isn't doing a keynote doesn't mean Apple won't announce something.

Yebot
Aug 31, 2006, 12:14 PM
9/12

One day before Yebot's birthday. Good timing. I smell a MBP in my future.

MattyMac
Aug 31, 2006, 12:14 PM
My birthday is the 13th...what a sweeeeeeeeet gift...hopefully:D

EDIT:
You too! Happy Birthday!
9/12

One day before Yebot's birthday. Good timing. I smell a MBP in my future.

HecubusPro
Aug 31, 2006, 12:28 PM
Well you see steve isn't giving a keynote at the Paris expo... so thats why its news :rolleyes:

I'm aware that Steve isn't going to be there. I guess I just don't see how this is anything newsworthy. We're going to hear about updates, get some announcements. We all know that. It just seems like an odd and obvious macrumors/new story to me. That's all.

On the other hand, I want an iPhone, a widescreen iPod, a larger capacity Nano, a merom MBP, etc. :)

April Dancer
Aug 31, 2006, 12:30 PM
Please please please iPods or phone.

Happy birthday to me!! :)

*not getting excited, been here before!*

guywithabike
Aug 31, 2006, 12:33 PM
I'll add fuel to the fire and mention that I just ordered a MacBook yesterday but it's not scheduled to ship out until the 11th. This is usually a good sign of updated machines. However, I'm not expecting Core 2 Duos or anything. A small speed bump would be nice, though.

dizastor
Aug 31, 2006, 12:34 PM
I can't take any more of this. I've eaten all of my fingernails and I'm starting to gaze longingly at my toes.

Machead III
Aug 31, 2006, 12:38 PM
If they don't announce/release new MacBooks, my plans are severely screwed.

Aside from that, I have 200 to blow on some gadget or other. I wonder if Apple can give me a reason to give it to them rather than to Nintendo for a Wii.

gugy
Aug 31, 2006, 12:41 PM
New Apple Cinema Displays with glossy screens and iSights would be amazing. :)

No way,
Glossy screen is the worst thing for professionals that depend on color accuracy.
As for the Isight, I think they will keep off from the Cinema displays. They will make an smaller format stand alone IMHO.
I don't think a Special Event will happen for these products.

danbolling
Aug 31, 2006, 12:49 PM
Some things are coming together that are not pointed out in the post about the upcoming new iTMS (iTunes Media Store)

1) If the movies are only available in the US (at least initially), then this explains why Apple would not announce it at Paris Expo.

2) Movies will be larger resolution, of course. This now makes the "Advance -> Convert Video for iPod" command make a lot more sense. This will be the easy way to get downloaded movies onto old (smaller resolution) video iPods. And, maybe new iPod nanos which will do video with smaller screens.

3) And, of course, an updated video iPod is no surprise at this point. The details and the specs may be, but the update is not.

mtrctyjoe
Aug 31, 2006, 12:52 PM
Apple Insider was saying the movie price would be $14.99 -I would not pay that much to watch a movie on a small screen... no way, unless I had a hour long commute to work on a train... can't believe there are that many people like that out there!

gugy
Aug 31, 2006, 12:55 PM
Apple Insider was saying the movie price would be $14.99 -I would not pay that much to watch a movie on a small screen... no way, unless I had a hour long commute to work on a train... can't believe there are that many people like that out there!

If that's true for an small format movie, the Itunes Movie store will bomb. There is no way in hell people will pay that money. Is better buy a DVD at your local store.
Apple knows that, so that's why I am pretty sure it won't happen.

guywithabike
Aug 31, 2006, 12:58 PM
gugy-

You aren't a graphics professional, I take it.

Glossy screens are, indeed, typically better than the "diffused" screens. Diffused screens prevent glare by adding a layer of diffusing material that scatters light to avoid the "mirror" effect. The problem with this is that it also scatters the light coming from the monitor. This reduces color contrast and vibrancy greatly. Put a diffused and glossy MacBook Pro next to each other. The difference is immediately obvious.

With glossy screens, the image from the monitor isn't diffused, which gives you a virtually wider gamut with much better color contrast and quality. Of course, because it's glossy, you'll have to make sure your environmental lighting doesn't interfere with it.

So, for instance, if you're a filmmaker with a PowerBook for on-site video editing, you might want a diffused screen if you do a lot of outdoor work. If you're a designer that uses a desktop screen in a controlled studio/office environment, you'll want a glossy screen.

Of course, regardless of coating, LCDs have a much wider color gamut than print, so it's really not that important whether or not your screen is glossy or diffused, as long as it's a quality monitor if you're a print designer. For true precision color work, DTP pros go with insane monitors that would make your wallet cry. Most of those screens have glossy coatings. TV work relies on insanely expensive "reference" monitors for emulating the "average" TV with precision.

anim8or
Aug 31, 2006, 12:58 PM
No way,
Glossy screen is the worst thing for professionals that depend on color accuracy.
As for the Isight, I think they will keep off from the Cinema displays. They will make an smaller format stand alone IMHO.
I don't think a Special Event will happen for these products.

I totally wholeheartedly agree the glossy screens are not a always an advantage, if they do it as an option for those who want it then cool but not as standard please!

AtHomeBoy_2000
Aug 31, 2006, 01:06 PM
Everyone ASSUMES they will make these DVDs available via MP4. Who's to say they dont offer up an ISO file that is the FULL DVD (extra's and all)? Maybe even the full DVD encoded in MP4.

Porchland
Aug 31, 2006, 01:10 PM

This may be on the rosy side, but I assume that $14.99 for new titles and $9.99 for catalog titles means higher resolution. Otherwise, a movie is 7x the cost of a TV episode with no added value, which just doesn't sound like something Apple would do.

The higher resolution would allow you to (somehow) play the episode directly to your TV and burn a copy on DVD. The biggest problem is size. It would take as long to download a 2-hour movie in HD (or even SD) as it would to watch it.

I hope Apple gets this movie thing right.

BrianMojo
Aug 31, 2006, 01:13 PM
Everyone ASSUMES they will make these DVDs available via MP4. Who's to say they dont offer up an ISO file that is the FULL DVD (extra's and all)? Maybe even the full DVD encoded in MP4.

DVD menus as they exist today would be impossible to read on an iPod screen. So there's one reason why, not to mention the fact that it's too complicated to seem 'Apple-like'.

Chris Bangle
Aug 31, 2006, 01:17 PM
these obviosly gonna be optimizd for the full screen ipod, whats wrong with avi format anyway.

Machead III
Aug 31, 2006, 01:18 PM
Let's face it, many people are already regularly downloading movies by nefarious means, and are perfectly happy waiting a couple of days to obtain a ~700mb file over the course of a few days.

All Apple need to do is apply the same logic as they did to music, to movies. The situation is identical. People will pay for faster download times, previews, wider selections and peace of mind. You could easily get a movie into a good-enough-quality video file of around 800mb-1gb - sure, not VIDEO_TS quality, which is why they'd have to be a bit cheaper than retail DVDs. But it'd work, I know as a film maniac I'd use it pretty regularly.

It may rely on a few extra things though. Let's say, a video iPod with a big capacity, maybe a new video file format (.avi is perfect but Apple obviously don't dig it) and IT HAS TO BE SAID bigger godamn hard drives in Apple portables.

Even with a video iPod, a Movie Store is going to interest lappy users perhaps most of all, and the current 60gb standards in MacBook just doesn't cut it for ****.

arn
Aug 31, 2006, 01:19 PM
Story updated.

It appears there will be an event on Sept 12th in San Francisco which will be broadcast to London.

arn

swingerofbirch
Aug 31, 2006, 01:22 PM
Why is Apple first ditching the Apple Expo and then upstaging it with a keynote on the day it opens?

It looks like Apple has pantsed the Apple Expo.

Maybe it's because the movie store will be US only which wouldn't go over well in fair Paris.

Maybe it's because Steve Jobs cannot travel.

Maybe it's just a crazy rumor.

muzikool
Aug 31, 2006, 01:25 PM
I agree that $14.99 is way too high for a downloadable movie. Most retailers sell new DVD releases on sale for the week they are released, usually for $2 - $3 less than that -- and that's for a DVD! $9.99 is doable, but not $14.99. :rolleyes:

twoodcc
Aug 31, 2006, 01:27 PM
all we can do is hope and pray

HecubusPro
Aug 31, 2006, 01:28 PM
It may rely on a few extra things though. Let's say, a video iPod with a big capacity

Yeah, I hope when the new video iPods come out, storage capacity will be up'd as well. Honestly though, I've so many movies and tv shows on my 30gb video iPod right now, I don't think I'd need much more than a 60gb if I were to upgrade.

On my 30gb video iPod I've got stuff like all 3 of the LOTR Extended Edition movies, around 150 eps. of various Star Trek tv shows, about 30 Kids in Hall eps., all 3 Star Wars films, tons of music videos, a couple of Harry Potter movies, an anime flick, a bunch of Sealab shorts, some South Park eps. all of the Indiana Jones films, and a few more things. I still have over 7GB free for music as well.

Having an even bigger capacity drive on my iPod video--I'd go nuts. :)

Diggadonkey
Aug 31, 2006, 01:30 PM
Back to the issue of PDA hardware options, does anyone have a clue whether it makes ANY sense to invest in Palm OS based PDA devices (like the Palm TX)? Is the Palm OS going to disappear? I'm holding out on a new PDA for fear that something directly from Apple will hit the market soon. I hate the thought of buying a Pocket PC device, and I would LOVE it if the next gen. video iPod had a boatload of PDA type features- which only makes sense given the rumored larger screen size.

~Shard~
Aug 31, 2006, 01:32 PM
I agree that $14.99 is way too high for a downloadable movie.

Agreed. When considering the fact that you presumably would not get the DVD extras, the quality would not be as good (based on compression/encoding) and you'd be watching it on a small screen, that does seem rather steep. It would be one thing if it was a high quality HD version or something, which you could also view on a normal TV as well, but that wouldn't be feasible either due to the resulting file sizes and longer download times required.

It will be interesting indeed to see how Apple handles this service...

bjdku
Aug 31, 2006, 01:38 PM
If that's true for an small format movie, the Itunes Movie store will bomb. There is no way in hell people will pay that money. Is better buy a DVD at your local store.
Apple knows that, so that's why I am pretty sure it won't happen.

I agree they know better, and who has been feverishly building bandwidth and capability to deliver full length full resolution movies...Google has.

And who just joined the Apple Board, the Google CEO!!!!

Tantalizing!

Machead III
Aug 31, 2006, 01:38 PM
Alright well, it's the Movie Store, and AppleInsider are porbably right about what they have said about it.

Meaning: Disney is the only one on board from the start.

However, don't **** your pants yet, that does not means we're stuck with Bambi and Mickey Mouse for 6 months.

The Walt Disney Company is about as expansive as they come, and they're particularly devious when it comes to branding. For various PR reasons they like to set up studios with different names and "tones" so that their cuddley flagship brand isn't trodden on by gritty adult movies.

If Disney are on board, that means as well as the "Walt Disney Pictures" movies like Toy Story and Aladin etc., Touchstone Pictures and Miramax are in (and also Hollywood Studios, but that's about to merge, it's not nothing notable since The 6th Sense, and nothing notable before that).

So you've got films like The Insider, Cinderella Man, The Royal Tenenbaums, Sin City, Gangs of New York, The Hours etc. etc. right off the bat.

Probably 1/5 of an average "movie fans" diet will consist of flicks produced by a branch of The Walt Disney Company, with another 5th being from WB, another from Universal and the rest from others like Sony and independants like Lions Gate and the Sundance groups.

You really wan't Universal in there eventually, as they're the ones with the big library. And Warner are the dudes holding all the old time classics, so you wan't them too.

Lions Gate make great films but the medium sized studios like them you can probably survive without, for the beginning, though it looks like Lions are in anyway.

Sony would be nice, they often hold the key to the films responsible for the recent surge in popularity of foreign films. Particuarly in Europe, Chinese and Spanish-speaking films have become really quite popular, with Zhang Yimou's Hero and House of Flying Daggers huge hits.

Of course, I'm hoping FilmFour get in their quickly, as they are responsible for really some of the most exciting cinema in recent years; Trainspotting, The Motorcycle Diaries, the list goes on...

Chris Bangle
Aug 31, 2006, 01:44 PM
LONDON,why would they do it in London? obviously so that tv shows and films to be made availble to all of europe except for France. Its so simple. I cant wait. And films in USA of course. Thats whats gonna happen. Its soooo obvious.

Come on top gear on itunes.

swingerofbirch
Aug 31, 2006, 01:47 PM
I wonder if it will still be called the iTunes Music Store?

BenRoethig
Aug 31, 2006, 01:49 PM
It seems like a good idea, but if the movies can't be burned to DVD, it might be as big a failure as the store was a success. Unless, Apple were to relase a set top media center Mac to go with it.

bjdku
Aug 31, 2006, 01:49 PM
I was thinking how they would be able to deliver movies of large sizes, and it seems to me if that they are going with full resolution feature length films, they will have to use BitTorrent, Quantum Streaming, or some other unknown method. If they do this right, this will be more innovating than iTunes/iPod legal music download. But will the customers buy.....

Multimedia
Aug 31, 2006, 01:50 PM
September 12 SteveNote. Well I must have posted that phrase scores of times earlier this year - just didn't think it would be in San Francisco instead of Paris. All the better. Perfect ending to a wonderful Summer 2006.

Lots for him to talk about.

Core 2 Duo will be the star.
End of Core Solo minis.
All new redesigned MacBook Pro.
All new iMac design with Conroe inside.
iTunes Media Store Movie Downloads.

Maybe even "One More Thing"

Peace
Aug 31, 2006, 01:51 PM
LONDON,why would they do it in London? obviously so that tv shows and films to be made availble to all of europe except for France. Its so simple. I cant wait. And films in USA of course. Thats whats gonna happen. Its soooo obvious.

Come on top gear on itunes.

Apple did this same thing before.Streaming it to London..If I recall it was the Front Row type invitation broadcast from a theatre..
Anybody remember that ?

mi5moav
Aug 31, 2006, 01:56 PM
Now it is a definate Apple will be launching Quicktake HD

720p HD Video Scanning (1280 x 854)
7.1 Megapixel Digital Still Photos
H.264 Compression Technology
2.5 Inch OLED Display
6x Optical Zoom Lens / 10x Digital Zoom Lens
Record Over 6 hours of video on 60GB version
Built-in Digital Image Stabilization
Beautiful Design/less clutter(image manipulation within imovie)
SD Memory Card Compatibility
High Quality Stereo Recording (Apple Lossless)
Pre-tag chapter and image settings
USB 2.0, HDMI, Firewire
MAC/PC Compatible
Dimensions: 2.4" x 4.9" x 2.2"

Machead III
Aug 31, 2006, 02:00 PM
I wonder if Apple will be able to provide the Movie Store to Europe and the rest of the world. If they can't, it's as good to me as if they didn't announce it at all. I mean look at TV Shows, what a disgrace, in Europe we might aswell still be running iTunes 4.

I think a Movie Store should be seperate from iTunes. A new store for movies, a new app for managing them.

Chris Bangle
Aug 31, 2006, 02:01 PM
Apple did this same thing before.Streaming it to London..If I recall it was the Front Row type invitation broadcast from a theatre..
Anybody remember that ?

Yeh it was the 5generation launch, they streamed it to the BBC centre i think, Sky News and BBC had the ipod as news article that night.

seenew
Aug 31, 2006, 02:03 PM
There will are not relay organized at AppleExpo

Wtf does that even mean?!

Machead III
Aug 31, 2006, 02:08 PM
There will are not relay organized at AppleExpo

LMFAO! http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Jvhowube
Aug 31, 2006, 02:11 PM
all I care about is getting my MB/P with Merom inside of it. I'm starting school with a POS laptop, and I need someone to tell me that I'll be ordering a new computer on the 12th. PLEASE!

Aug 31, 2006, 02:13 PM
I have just called SJ, and he told me the following:

- iTMS Movie Store;

- MBPs with Merom, and the new MBP 12";

- MacMini with Core Duo;

- iMacs with Conroe;

- Apple IIGS 2006 Edition.

MovieCutter
Aug 31, 2006, 02:16 PM

WOOOOOT!!!!!!! :eek:

liketom
Aug 31, 2006, 02:18 PM
Story updated.

It appears there will be an event on Sept 12th in San Francisco which will be broadcast to London.

arn
looks like us brits are getting something then :D

swindmill
Aug 31, 2006, 02:22 PM
I hope they update the macbooks, but my dad just ordered one for my mom yesterday, so it would be a bit unfortunate for her if she ended up with a brand new - old model.

hyperpasta
Aug 31, 2006, 02:28 PM
Apple wants to extend the seasonal iPod buzz as long as possible. We know they will update both the iPod nano and full-size iPod, the question is when. I think it's safe to say nano first. Here's why.

iPod video, then nano
Everyone goes WOW at the iPod video, and the nano is a yawn in comparison. The buzz will explode but then fizzle out faster.

Both at the same time
Will create a huge buzz, but will then die out.

iPod nano, then video
The iPod nano will be considered pretty cool, and generate reasonable buzz. When it's fizzling out, the iPod video bomb will be dropped, keeping iPod buzz going all through the xmas season. Apple did this last year and boy did it work.

BlizzardBomb
Aug 31, 2006, 02:30 PM

That would be awesome. :) Add a larger capacity Nano to that.

New Apple Cinema Displays with glossy screens and iSights would be amazing.

Hmm... Maybe as an option? Glossy is great, but lots strongly dislike it.

Wtf does that even mean?!

I will are not know.

aprilfools
Aug 31, 2006, 02:38 PM
Apple is buying MicroSoft

bloodycape
Aug 31, 2006, 02:48 PM
I did not look at all the post so I dunno if this was posted but this interesting.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/aug2006/db20060831_806225.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives

Unorthodox
Aug 31, 2006, 02:50 PM
We're doing it again....

NEW MACBOOK PROS!
NEW MACBOOKS!
NEW UNDERWEAR!
NEW IPOD NANOS!
NEW IPODS!
NEW IMACS!
NEW ITUNES VIDEO STORE! (ITMS. iTunes Media Store?)
NEW DISPLAYS!
NEW ISIGHTS!
NEW IPOD SOCKS!
NEW IPHONE!
NEW MAC MINI (how could I forget the mini)

Have we learned nothing? Apple never lets everything out of the bag.

w00t! Love it anyway. :D

chuckles:)
Aug 31, 2006, 02:52 PM

Or will they even bother calling it iTunes at all... :p

jwdsail
Aug 31, 2006, 02:52 PM
Hurmph...

Still can't get excited about any of the paid video content on iTMS myself...

I'm still hoping to see 540p files that iTunes "automagically" resizes for proper DVD burning and iPod use, while using the 540p version for users with HDTVs attached to their Macs... Have the video DRM work more like the audio "FairPlay" DRM...

Until then, I'll be happy to download the free episodes that sometimes are offered.. But I'm waiting to pay until Apple provides me with the quality of some of my favorite *FREE* video podcasts.. (MacBreak, TWiT video, DL.TV, CommandN, TikiBar, etc)

What I'd rather see announced, is Core 2 updates to the iMac and and MBP.

Would love to see a mini tower/Cube neo/Mac mini Extreme... Core 2, 4 ram slots, one or two (for SLI/Crossfire) open PCIe slot(s), 3.5" SATA HD.... sigh...

I suspect we'll get ourselves all twisted 'bout this, tune in only to see iPod HiFi v 2.0 instead..

Shrug.

Just my $0.02US

jwd

HecubusPro
Aug 31, 2006, 02:53 PM
I posted this on the mini specs forum, but thought it would be needed here as well.
Are they already shipping then?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2010

BlizzardBomb
Aug 31, 2006, 02:53 PM
We're doing it again....

NEW MACBOOK PROS!
NEW MACBOOKS!
NEW UNDERWEAR!
NEW IPOD NANOS!
NEW IPODS!
NEW IMACS!
NEW ITUNES VIDEO STORE! (ITMS. iTunes Media Store?)
NEW DISPLAYS!
NEW ISIGHTS!
NEW IPOD SOCKS!
NEW IPHONE!

Have we learned nothing? Apple never lets everything out of the bag.

w00t! Love it anyway. :D

While I would normally agree, look at the MBP, iMac, Mac Mini, iPod 5G, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle and iSight. These products have not been updated for a while and the product line is starting to get stale.

Unorthodox
Aug 31, 2006, 02:57 PM
While I would normally agree, look at the MBP, iMac, Mac Mini, iPod 5G, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle and iSight. These products have not been updated for a while and the product line is starting to get stale.
Thats true but... but....
When was the last time Apple released 7 new hardware products on the same day?
The iPod shuffle has one earbud sticking out of it's grave; so six, maybe....

cadillaccactus
Aug 31, 2006, 02:58 PM

I have oft wondered the same thing. is iTunes really the best name for the store anymore?

anyone have ideas?

BlizzardBomb
Aug 31, 2006, 02:59 PM
Thats true but... but....
When was the last time Apple released 7 new hardware products on the same day?
The iPod shuffle has one earbud sticking out of it's grave; so six, maybe....

Valid point. We'll just have to wait for the day then. :) ;)

speakster
Aug 31, 2006, 03:06 PM
So, Leopard has some features that haven't been revealed yet.

Could one of them possibly be the rumor of having a Bit Torrent client built into the OS.....

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/rumor-os-x-leopard-to-have-bittorrent-client-for-itunes-store-170791.php

Which would make the possibility of downloading higher quality videos plausible....

MarcelV
Aug 31, 2006, 03:09 PM
Iand who has been feverishly building bandwidth and capability to deliver full length full resolution movies...Google has.
Google is buying up Dark Fiber. That means no end points into homes like Verizons FIOS has. The bottleneck for full length high resolution movies will be from decentralized distribution centers to the homes. Dark Fiber is helping, but not by much.

mazola
Aug 31, 2006, 03:19 PM
Here comes Leather iPod Sock -- version 2.0!

Rocketman
Aug 31, 2006, 03:24 PM
I don't care what it is, just give us something new to talk about. Mac Pro really nice machine but we saw it coming months in advance. Maybe not he exact spec but yeah we all knew it was coming. Same with Merom, Conroe etc... Give us something new, really new.

Get used to the new way. The only real suprise news from now on willl be specific software features, cosmetics and any new details not widely anticipated. The primary processor and platform/form factors are likely to remain unsurprising.

Furthermore, chip advances just took a big leap. Do not expect that again for 2 or more years.

Rocketman

Zadillo
Aug 31, 2006, 03:26 PM
Back to the issue of PDA hardware options, does anyone have a clue whether it makes ANY sense to invest in Palm OS based PDA devices (like the Palm TX)? Is the Palm OS going to disappear? I'm holding out on a new PDA for fear that something directly from Apple will hit the market soon. I hate the thought of buying a Pocket PC device, and I would LOVE it if the next gen. video iPod had a boatload of PDA type features- which only makes sense given the rumored larger screen size.

The Palm OS as we currently know it (the one you will find on Palm OS-powered Treos, the Palm TX, etc.) is basically dead. PalmSource is doing no further development to it, and PalmSource was acquired by Access, which is creating the Access Linux Platform as a successor to the Palm OS (it will include Palm emulation to run Palm apps, etc.).

It's not to say that it's compeltely worthless to have a Palm-based system. Plenty of people still do have Palm OS Treos and other Palm OS PDA's, and there's still plenty of people using it and developing software for it. I personally have a Treo 650 and it's still working great for me.

Hopefully Palm will license the Access Linux Platform and use that so that the "Palm OS" stays alive, but so far Palm hasn't committed to it. It's entirely possible that Palm could end up just making Windows Mobile devices.

If you want a platform that definitely has support behind it, you're basically stuck with a PocketPC. There's also Symbian and some other stuff, but PocketPC is definitely sort of repeating the "success" of Windows in the PDA world.

-Zadillo

Rocketman
Aug 31, 2006, 03:30 PM
Google is buying up Dark Fiber. That means no end points into homes like Verizons FIOS has. The bottleneck for full length high resolution movies will be from decentralized distribution centers to the homes. Dark Fiber is helping, but not by much.

Apple bought Worldcom's new telecom switch center.

Google is buying Nortel's dark fiber.

Google's CEO is on Apple's board.

Nobody is going to run fiber to the last mile.

The solution is Intel wimax and Samsung 4G.

I told you so.

Rocketman

reflex
Aug 31, 2006, 03:35 PM
If they don't announce/release new MacBooks, my plans are severely screwed.

Same here, although I'd probably just get a current Macbook if that's the case. I decided I won't wait beyond Paris Expo.

Although I might still be tempted to buy a MBP if Apple offered a 160GB hd for a reasonable or it were easy to put one in there.

Macnoviz
Aug 31, 2006, 03:44 PM
I have just called SJ, and he told me the following:

- iTMS Movie Store;

- MBPs with Merom, and the new MBP 12";

- MacMini with Core Duo;

- iMacs with Conroe;

Could you ask them when we'll get Core 2 for the new Powerbooks?

aaronb
Aug 31, 2006, 03:50 PM
What I'm confused about is how the movie downloads will be decent quality and not take FOREVER to download. If the quality is great, the download time is going to be ridiculous. If the quality is bad, no one would even consider buying it.

I would rather buy a 15 dollar DVD, rip it into my iPod and still have a DVD that looks good on my TV. That's just IMO.

nem3015
Aug 31, 2006, 03:50 PM
If there is a Special Event then we might see the new Ipod Video and maybe the Itunes Movie Store.

To go a little crazy, maybe the Media Center.

Updates for MacMini and Laptops at this time will be a simple Tuesday update on Apple's site. I see no reason to have an Special Event for that.

Well if they do the announcement late on Monday 12 in Cupertino that will be Tuesday in Paris (time zone difference is +9) so will comply with the tradition LOL :rolleyes: :p :D

Aperture
Aug 31, 2006, 03:55 PM
Are we going to have live MR Coverage of the event? :)

Multimedia
Aug 31, 2006, 04:04 PM
I posted this on the mini specs forum, but thought it would be needed here as well.
Are they already shipping then?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2010Yes they are. But we are still looking for a second report to corroborate this report. This is the same report of 1.66GHz Core Duo instead of 1.5GHz Core Solo.What about this report of a silent mini update already in the pipeline on the French HardMac website? (http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-08-31/#5869) :)

"I have ordered a Mac mini Core solo with 1GB of RAM last Saturday to use it as a server, and what a surprise when I received the box!

My Mac mini has been upgraded:
- Core Duo 1.66GHz instead of Core Solo 1.5GHz
- HD 100GB instead of 60GB
- and a SuperDrive instead of a Combo!

Thanks Apple !

On the box, the specifications are those of a Mac mini Core Solo..."Thank you.

Multimedia
Aug 31, 2006, 04:09 PM
Are we going to have live MR Coverage of the event? :)Is the Pope German? :rolleyes:

HecubusPro
Aug 31, 2006, 04:10 PM
On that same page there's this as well...

MacBook Pro are also EOL?
A report from a french student who wanted to buy a MBPro thanks to the Special Deal "MIPE":

Yesterday, August 30th, I have placed an order for a MB Pro 2.0GHz via the Special Deal "MIPE" from the French AppleStore Education. Today, while checking the status, I have seen that my MBPro was not mentioned anymore in my chart; but the other products I have ordered were still there on the list. So I have tried to add a new MB Pro to my current order, but I was unsuccessful.
So I called the French AppleStore (0800-046-046), and I was told that Apple ran out of stocks for the MBPro, the expected shipping delay is 3 to 5 weeks.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-08-31/#5869

Jimmieboy
Aug 31, 2006, 04:33 PM
Wahoo! I'm hoping for a couple of things:
1. The mac mini has an upped processor and can support 5.1 channel surround sound
2. Macbooks and macbook pro's to have the memrom
3. iMacs with conroe
4. An ipod update for the video and nano
5. All these rumors of an iphone. Maybe we'll get one maybe we won't? I'm not expecting it to be released on the 12th.

Peace
Aug 31, 2006, 04:44 PM
Well if they do the announcement late on Monday 12 in Cupertino that will be Tuesday in Paris (time zone difference is +9) so will comply with the tradition LOL :rolleyes: :p :D

Sept. 12th is a Tuesday in Cupertino.

rdowns
Aug 31, 2006, 04:46 PM
September 12 SteveNote. Well I must have posted that phrase scores of times earlier this year - just didn't think it would be in San Francisco instead of Paris. All the better. Perfect ending to a wonderful Summer 2006.

Lots for him to talk about.

End of Core Solo minis.

Maybe even "One More Thing"

Pass the doobie

kenaustus
Aug 31, 2006, 04:49 PM
With the competition getting ready to ship Core 2s I think this is where Apple is going on the 12th. Their inventories will be worked down with back to school buying and they are not going to let the competition get that far ahead of them.

On the iPod situation, if you are looking at a Palm type enhancement then I think it will be based on a stripped down version of OS X, allowing Apple to do a good job with iCal, some of iLife, Address Book, etc. The benefit of the partial OS X is that 3rd party developers who have come up with some very good apps could migrate them to an iPod version with (hopefully) relative ease. That could generate some excitement in the market that would also leave MS in the dust with their MP3. Could be very interesting - and would also explain the delay in releasing new models.

On the movie side, I would look for a feature that allows you to move an actual DVD to the video iPod. Would be great for long flights when going on a business trip - especially if you're in cattle car with not enough room to open your notebook.

BlizzardBomb
Aug 31, 2006, 04:52 PM
Is the Pope German? :rolleyes:

How is that comment helpful in anyway?

Synapple
Aug 31, 2006, 04:56 PM

lol... September 12th is a Tuesday worldwide :p

macaddicted
Aug 31, 2006, 04:59 PM
I can't take any more of this. I've eaten all of my fingernails and I'm starting to gaze longingly at my toes.

It strikes me that many here are in need of this (http://www.nativeremedies.com/ocd-alternative-treatment.shtml?ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=Google+Main&ovcrn=ocd&ovtac=PPC&gclid=CInu3uDyiocCFTFBDgodWFkE6A)

Yes, dizastor, there is a Steven Jobs. He exists as certainly as MacBook and Mac Pro and iPod exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy! It would be as dreary as if there were only Bill$. There would be no OS X then, no QuickTime, no iTunes to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in WMA and RealPlayer.

So take heart that to you good things shall come.

With apologies to Francis Church.

Unorthodox
Aug 31, 2006, 05:09 PM
Is the Pope German? :rolleyes:
I don't know.
Is he?
I thought he was Italian...

And I also thought the saying was "Is the pope Catholic?".

I don't know what I am but what are you?!?

danielbriggs
Aug 31, 2006, 05:12 PM
The Palm OS as we currently know it (the one you will find on Palm OS-powered Treos, the Palm TX, etc.) is basically dead. PalmSource is doing no further development to it, and PalmSource was acquired by Access, which is creating the Access Linux Platform as a successor to the Palm OS (it will include Palm emulation to run Palm apps, etc.).

It's not to say that it's compeltely worthless to have a Palm-based system. Plenty of people still do have Palm OS Treos and other Palm OS PDA's, and there's still plenty of people using it and developing software for it. I personally have a Treo 650 and it's still working great for me.

Hopefully Palm will license the Access Linux Platform and use that so that the "Palm OS" stays alive, but so far Palm hasn't committed to it. It's entirely possible that Palm could end up just making Windows Mobile devices.

If you want a platform that definitely has support behind it, you're basically stuck with a PocketPC. There's also Symbian and some other stuff, but PocketPC is definitely sort of repeating the "success" of Windows in the PDA world.

-Zadillo

Does this mean an Archos PMA-400 iPod style thingy. That was cool when it came out a year or so ago. 40GB PDA not bad!

Dan :-)

shawnce
Aug 31, 2006, 05:19 PM
I don't know.
Is he?
I thought he was Italian... :eek:

Ya may want to check on world events every now and then :p

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Pope Benedict XVI (http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/biography/documents/hf_ben-xvi_bio_20050419_short-biography_en.html)

Analog Kid
Aug 31, 2006, 05:27 PM
Not keynote at AppleExpo Paris, but a press event that day in the US and streamed to London? So crazy it might be true...

$15 downloads just won't fly with me, nor will $10. As it stands, I can buy a DVD from Amazon for $10, get it the next day, and not have to back it up somewhere... Gotta get it down to $5 or less for me to be interested-- maybe $10 for pre-releases.

I'm all over a video iPod though.

Unorthodox
Aug 31, 2006, 05:32 PM
:eek:

Ya may want to check on world events every now and then :p

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Pope Benedict XVI (http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/biography/documents/hf_ben-xvi_bio_20050419_short-biography_en.html)
I could have used the lords name in vain that his name was John....
Im just messin' with yall.
I just didn't know he was German....

pink-pony115
Aug 31, 2006, 05:35 PM
I don't see the big deal

HecubusPro
Aug 31, 2006, 05:45 PM
I don't see the big deal

Don't see the big deal about what? That a ton of new apple products, like Core 2 Due MBP's and MB's, Conroe iMacs, new iPod videos and Nano's for example could be announced on the 12?

Or that the Pope is German?:)

polyesterlester
Aug 31, 2006, 05:49 PM
I have a feeling Ted Stevens won't appreciate Apple's movie store. It'll take his staff weeks to send him an internet.

Peace
Aug 31, 2006, 05:52 PM
lol... September 12th is a Tuesday worldwide :p

Ok..You got me..
What I meant was Tuesday was Sept. 12th in Cupertino..NOT monday as the poster said.;)

lazyrighteye
Aug 31, 2006, 05:56 PM
Just guessing (obviously), but I just can't see where processor upgrades to MacBooks and/or Mini's and/or iMacs and/or MacBook Pros warrant a big ol' SF > London-streamed Stevenote.

Nah. This feels bigger. Smells more of an iPod/Movie Store announcement to me.

My crazy/he's hitting the rock again call of the day would be that on the 12th, Steve shocks the world with a redefinition of the whole mobile phone experience. Announcing the new iPod phone.

Where's my pipe?

aswitcher
Aug 31, 2006, 06:05 PM
...and 5 years later,

5 year anniversary iPod...of course.

aswitcher
Aug 31, 2006, 06:06 PM
Are we going to have live MR Coverage of the event? :)

It would be pretty awesome if they streamed it live to anyone with iTunes as either an audio or video cast.

jouster
Aug 31, 2006, 06:14 PM
I am NOT sold on portable video as a unique selling point...

Obviously, since it wouldn't be unique. There are plenty of PVPs on the market.

Mac-Addict
Aug 31, 2006, 06:24 PM
I'm just holding out for a Macbook Pro 15.4 2.33GHz:cool: but I would love to see a iPhone but itunes selling movies?! silly idea IMO...

ipoddin
Aug 31, 2006, 06:30 PM
Just guessing (obviously), but I just can't see where processor upgrades to MacBooks and/or Mini's and/or iMacs and/or MacBook Pros warrant a big ol' SF > London-streamed Stevenote.

Nah. This feels bigger. Smells more of an iPod/Movie Store announcement to me.

My crazy/he's hitting the rock again call of the day would be that on the 12th, Steve shocks the world with a redefinition of the whole mobile phone experience. Announcing the new iPod phone.

Where's my pipe?

You're probably right. An event isn't the place to only announce processor upgrades to the current line. Something bigger is to be announced and the processor upgrades thrown in for good measure!

HecubusPro
Aug 31, 2006, 06:31 PM
but itunes selling movie?! silly idea...

Why is it silly? iTunes has proven that millions will pay to download music, videos, and TV shows. I don't see why people won't download movies as well, especially considering millions of others download movies, at questionable quality, illegally all the time.

Mac-Addict
Aug 31, 2006, 06:35 PM
or maybe just maybe...

Apple is bringing out a new desktop! I mean think about it they haven't really bought out a new desktop for agess all they have done is switch all products to intel.

**Edit, IMO i think its silly because whos gonna pay $14.99 for a movie on a tiny screen, and if they make it to watch on your computer then its just going to take hours and hours to download if you have a slow broadband connection

Kingsly
Aug 31, 2006, 06:42 PM
iPod for sale by Kingsly. :p :D

No, really. Im selling mine in anticipation of this event.

Mac-Addict
Aug 31, 2006, 06:46 PM
well I need cash and i need cash fast if they put the prices up on a macbook pro after it gets the merom chip *Preys to god that prices dont go up* plus if the "iPhone" comes out im going to need to get one of those too :D perhapes i will sell my psp..

boncellis
Aug 31, 2006, 06:52 PM
Look forward to an OS update around the corner as well. There were rumblings about 10.4.8 being seeded recently--I think updated machines are likely to correspond with software and OS updates as well.

We'll see soon enough--if there is a "special event" my guess would be that it's for something completely new, not a new processor and certainly not a speed bump.

HecubusPro
Aug 31, 2006, 06:59 PM
**Edit, IMO i think its silly because whos gonna pay $14.99 for a movie on a tiny screen, and if they make it to watch on your computer then its just going to take hours and hours to download if you have a slow broadband connection

$14.99 for new movies, but $9.99 for older films supposedly.

Some movies aren't much longer than hour long TV shows, and people have been downloading those regularly from iTunes. And like I said, there are a lot of people out there already downloading movies from the internet. My guess is there are also a lot of people who would love to have an easy option to get their movies online, but aren't tech savvy enough to know what bit-torrent is, or where to find illegal torrent sites, etc. Those types of people would probably jump all over an easy to access and use movie downlaod site. iTunes already has a great reputation, so consumer comfort is high with Apple in that regard.

Honestly though, it remains be seen until people are able to use the new service, but I have a feeling it will do quite well, even if it is geared for a small screen (with the option to watch fullscreen in iTunes on your computer.) Who knows though? The PSP UMD movie format is dead. But I think that's due to Sony's poor marketing and DVD comparable cost of UMD movies than anything else.

And yes, go ahead and sell your PSP. You'll feel better. I did, and I do. :)

Mac-Addict
Aug 31, 2006, 07:00 PM
Yes i think i will sell my smelly PSP :) This post has been edited over 24 times due to smelling pistakes
**Spelling mistakes

Mainyehc
Aug 31, 2006, 07:00 PM

Where's my pipe?

Hey, you may be on to something there... I was about to buy a Nokia 1100 for €25 (w00t! :D ), but I think I'll just postpone that purchase. I'd gladly get rid of my 1GB Shuffle, as I already carry my cell phone with me at all times (yes, I take both with me even to the beach!).

The only downside to having an Apple cell phone is that it would attract muggers too much for my taste... But hey, I already carry my 60GB 5G iPod with me frequently, and besides, I wouldn't throw away my craptacular vintage Siemens A52 anyway (it could still serve me as a backup for nightlife ;) ).

Yeah, you could say that sometimes, I'm a sucker for monochrome stuff. If it wasn't for its meager HD, I'd have kept my oh-so-gorgeous 20GB 3G iPod with its 12pt Chicago typeface :) . And both the classic Nokia's and Siemens' interfaces, while not as intuitive as most of Apple's stuff, are not that shabby either...

Rocketman
Aug 31, 2006, 07:09 PM
or maybe just maybe...

Apple is bringing out a new desktop! I mean think about it they haven't really bought out a new desktop for agess all they have done is switch all products to intel.

If you pay whatever price for a "lisence" to a movie it makes sense you have a lisence to a variety of resolutions for the 5 CPU's you are allowed to run them on, FOREVER (Time Machine).

Stop whining. Or not.

As for the so-called video iPod, it seems to me such a device has far more uses than a mere media replayer. It could be a remote control. It could be a PDA. It could be a 3G/4G internet portal, standalone or for an external computer, such as a, gag, MacBook.

Further, such a device is easily reprogrammable as a dictation machine, a bar code reader, a video camera, a still camera, etc, etc, etc. Some functions might need a dongle to the extent they are not implemented in Rev. 1A.

Rocketman

See ST-TNG datapads.

Tommyg117
Aug 31, 2006, 07:18 PM
great news on the movie store and on the core 2 duo laptops! Can't wait, better break out the paycheck!

Mac-Addict
Aug 31, 2006, 07:26 PM
Hello Intel Core 2 Duo CodeName 007Merom and Goodbye Intel Core Duo forgot your codename!

Flowbee
Aug 31, 2006, 07:26 PM
$14.99 for new movies, but $9.99 for older films supposedly.

Some movies aren't much longer than hour long TV shows, and people have been downloading those regularly from iTunes. And like I said, there are a lot of people out there already downloading movies from the internet. My guess is there are also a lot of people who would love to have an easy option to get their movies online, but aren't tech savvy enough to know what bit-torrent is, or where to find illegal torrent sites, etc. Those types of people would probably jump all over an easy to access and use movie downlaod site. iTunes already has a great reputation, so consumer comfort is high with Apple in that regard.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... it's really easy to hook an iPod up to a TV (http://podophile.com/2006/08/16/watch-ipod-videos-on-your-tv/) to play videos. Just one cable. You're not limited to the iPod screen or your computer screen. Download movie>copy to iPod>plug into any TV with composite video and audio jacks (yellow, red, white). It's not DVD quality, but it's pretty good. Apple could certainly make it better while still keeping download times reasonable. I downloaded the second season of Lost - all 24 episodes - from the iTMS in less than 4 hours (I'm not sure how much less because I went out while they were downloading). Anyway, that's around 1,032 minutes of video. I'm guessing Apple could raise the video quality and still keep the d/l time of a 120 minute movie to under an hour, which would be reasonable, IMO.

$10 - $15 movie downloads won't replace Netflix for me, but buying DVDs is now a thing of the past. In fact, I'm in the process of selling my prized DVD collection (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdz-2000QQhtZ-1). I look forward to downloadable "rentals."

hob
Aug 31, 2006, 07:37 PM
So does anyone know where in London it will be shown, except BBC TV centre by invite only?

Better yet, how do I get an invite?!

prady16
Aug 31, 2006, 07:50 PM
The wait is getting sweeter! :)

mitchec
Aug 31, 2006, 08:17 PM
I wonder if Apple will be able to provide the Movie Store to Europe and the rest of the world. If they can't, it's as good to me as if they didn't announce it at all. I mean look at TV Shows, what a disgrace, in Europe we might aswell still be running iTunes 4.

I think a Movie Store should be seperate from iTunes. A new store for movies, a new app for managing them.

Whats the issue with regards to TV shows only available to the USA. Why can't they be made available in the UK and Europe.

dsnort
Aug 31, 2006, 08:23 PM
Now, I may be wrong, but if they roll out iTunes movies in Paris or London, won't they be introducing the product in a locale where it won't be available?

swingerofbirch
Aug 31, 2006, 08:28 PM
These days there aren't a whole lot of morale boosters for living in the United States. You can give us this one.

MarcelV
Aug 31, 2006, 08:38 PM
Apple bought Worldcom's new telecom switch center.

Google is buying Nortel's dark fiber.

Google's CEO is on Apple's board.

Nobody is going to run fiber to the last mile.

The solution is Intel wimax and Samsung 4G.

I told you so.

Rocketman
While it sounds good, I don't see this happen soon at all. Also, Verizon disagrees with you, because they are pulling fiber to the homes in several (large) cities and more to come. The investment for 4G (802.16e I assume you're talking about)will be much too high while not providing enough guarantees it will be financial feasible in short and mid term to make shareholders feel confortable. But if it will, Apple will get my money :) But are there enough gadget geeks like me in the world? That will make or break the project.....

HecubusPro
Aug 31, 2006, 08:58 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again... it's really easy to hook an iPod up to a TV (http://podophile.com/2006/08/16/watch-ipod-videos-on-your-tv/) to play videos. Just one cable. You're not limited to the iPod screen or your computer screen.

I actually have that cable. I've only used it a couple of times on my TV for kicks. After seeing the quality though, I decided never to do it again. :D Besides, all of the stuff I have on my iPod Video, I have on DVD. I just use it at work during lunch sometimes, or on trips. But hooking your iPod up to your TV should be done only if you have no other choice IMO. :)

daneoni
Aug 31, 2006, 09:03 PM
WHo cares, frankly i'm tired of all these Apple rumor crap. Its been three tuesdays in a row and we havent seen anything yet. Its been almost a year and we have no new iPods.

New resolution: I'll buy something when i need it. No more holding out for PowerBook G5 Tuesdays.......Psych!

PS I love my PowerBook!

shecky
Aug 31, 2006, 09:06 PM
WHo cares, frankly i'm tired of all these Apple rumor crap.

i think maybe you are on the wrong website, then.

shidoshi
Aug 31, 2006, 09:13 PM
these obviosly gonna be optimizd for the full screen ipod, whats wrong with avi format anyway.

The fact that it isn't a "format," for starters.

$10 ~ $15, if that is the price for anything below a 720p encoding of a movie, would be the stupidest thing that Apple has done. (Well, at least in the last 10 years or so.)

If they do 720p encodes - and that would have to be the minimum, as they really should be 1080p - then they might have something worthwhile. The problem is, this will totally clash with the move to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, so being realistic, my guess would be 480p encodes. Which, of course, then makes purchasing movies this way versus DVD a really stupid decision (IMHO).

I'd love to see Apple get this right, but... I'm really not holding my breath.

kaneda
Aug 31, 2006, 09:16 PM
new ipod celphone.....celphone w/ a hard drive...w/ widescreen...sync w/ your itunes, iphotos, imovie, address book, mobile ichat...:)

Time to get a new cel-phone..499 for 60gb...

399 for 30 gb...

gugy
Aug 31, 2006, 09:28 PM
The fact that it isn't a "format," for starters.

$10 ~ $15, if that is the price for anything below a 720p encoding of a movie, would be the stupidest thing that Apple has done. (Well, at least in the last 10 years or so.)

If they do 720p encodes - and that would have to be the minimum, as they really should be 1080p - then they might have something worthwhile. The problem is, this will totally clash with the move to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, so being realistic, my guess would be 480p encodes. Which, of course, then makes purchasing movies this way versus DVD a really stupid decision (IMHO).

I'd love to see Apple get this right, but... I'm really not holding my breath.

Very true, I just can't see Apple doing this. That will kill the Movie store from the start.
IMHO they might do the rental of movies that was speculate before.

If they decide to sell it, it has to be cheaper than the current DVD offerings, unless the quality and resolution are higher. If not, I would not even waste my time going there to buy it.

Flowbee
Aug 31, 2006, 09:30 PM
I actually have that cable. I've only used it a couple of times on my TV for kicks. After seeing the quality though, I decided never to do it again. :D Besides, all of the stuff I have on my iPod Video, I have on DVD. I just use it at work during lunch sometimes, or on trips. But hooking your iPod up to your TV should be done only if you have no other choice IMO. :)

Well, if I hadn't downloaded the Lost episodes from the iTMS, I might have agreed with you. The fact is, they look better than I expected.

I've found that videos downloaded from the iTMS generally look better on my TV than DVDs I've ripped and encoded for the iPod myself. I've tried the maximum iPod-compatible quality settings, and still cant get as sharp a picture as the Lost episodes I have. Except during really dark scenes, it's easy to forget I'm not just watching regular TV. It's obviously not nearly as good as a DVD, but it's not YouTube either. That being said, I have standard definition TV... no HD here. YMMV

I still think Apple will have to up the video quality if they want people to start buying downloads instead of actual discs.

berkleeboy210
Aug 31, 2006, 09:50 PM
I was all set to buy one of the New Archos PVP's.... They are pretty sweet.

But knowing my previous buying luck, I'd buy it, then Apple would release the new vPod and movie store.

guess i'll hang on till the 12th.

SirROM
Aug 31, 2006, 09:53 PM
If Apple is planning to introduce a video iPod and movie service on the 12th, might it makes sense to release updates of some products, such as the MBP, the previous week, giving the full spotlight to the new products. There really doesn't need to be a special press event for an updated laptop, even if it does have a new case (as I don't expect it to be too different). It would certainly give Apple lots of positive press about the updates and fuel even more talk about what was coming the following week.

Just my usual 2 worth....

Chundles
Aug 31, 2006, 09:56 PM
Whats the issue with regards to TV shows only available to the USA. Why can't they be made available in the UK and Europe.

Different regions, different distributors and laws.

berkleeboy210
Aug 31, 2006, 10:04 PM
If Apple is planning to introduce a video iPod and movie service on the 12th, might it makes sense to release updates of some products, such as the MBP, the previous week, giving the full spotlight to the new products. There really doesn't need to be a special press event for an updated laptop, even if it does have a new case (as I don't expect it to be too different). It would certainly give Apple lots of positive press about the updates and fuel even more talk about what was coming the following week.

Just my usual 2 worth....

Completely Agree. I think there were also rumors of releases on Sept. 5 so that could be for the laptops.

The complete refresh of the iBook (now macbook) line didn't get any media fanfare, so I don't see why an updated MBP should be any different.

just do a quiet press release on the website, and save the *new* products and download services for the press event.

Then if they wanted to at the event, just say that the majority of our computers now have the Core 2 Duo processors and were introduced last week, and have begun shipping today. or something to that effect

SwiftLives
Aug 31, 2006, 10:05 PM
I don't think we're getting the movie store or movie iPod just yet.

The sites that claim to have gotten an invite are French. (Not sure about Your Mac Life, though). Also, this event is being broadcat in London and Paris. This makes me think this announcement will be for downloadable European TV shows and not the iTunes Movie Store.

But - in the spirit of contradicting myself and being hopelessly optimistic, go check out the iPod refurb store. $100 off the 5G iPods instead of $50. That makes me think they're clearing inventory.

---------------

Also - In terms of branding - Quicktime Move Store perhaps?

---------------

I'm also guessing that we'll see speed bumps to the iMac and MacBook Pro (since they're the oldest) this Tuesday. The rest we may see during Apple Expo Paris.

Keep in mind that Steve doesn't do a keynote for speed bumps. Just tech advances.

aafuss1
Aug 31, 2006, 10:24 PM
Obviously iPod related-with a musical guest on stage or via ichat (last year Madonna and Jamie Foxx). Nike kit for 5G iPod, and tubes for 5g.

aafuss1
Aug 31, 2006, 10:27 PM
Well, if I hadn't downloaded the Lost episodes from the iTMS, I might have agreed with you. The fact is, they look better than I expected.

I've found that videos downloaded from the iTMS generally look better on my TV than DVDs I've ripped and encoded for the iPod myself. I've tried the maximum iPod-compatible quality settings, and still cant get as sharp a picture as the Lost episodes I have. Except during really dark scenes, it's easy to forget I'm not just watching regular TV. It's obviously not nearly as good as a DVD, but it's not YouTube either. That being said, I have standard definition TV... no HD here. YMMV

I still think Apple will have to up the video quality if they want people to start buying downloads instead of actual discs.

I use the AV cable just for Jhonen Vasquez photos (time for a Invader ZIM themed iPod) and Keynote presentations.

Chundles
Aug 31, 2006, 10:28 PM
Nike kit for 5G iPod

Oh hell no. Apple are never going to release the Nike kit for HDD-based iPods. That would constitute an admission that running with the iPod is a normal activity and that any damage to the HDD from jolts and shock would need to be covered by Apple Care, ie A VERY BAD IDEA.

aafuss1
Aug 31, 2006, 10:30 PM
Different regions, different distributors and laws.
Examples:
Lost-7 in Australia
Invader ZIM-Nickelodeon UK, in the UK, Nickelodeon Australia (XYZ Networks/Nickelodeon Australia own it here)

aafuss1
Aug 31, 2006, 10:33 PM
I don't think we're getting the movie store or movie iPod just yet.

The sites that claim to have gotten an invite are French. (Not sure about Your Mac Life, though). Also, this event is being broadcat in London and Paris. This makes me think this announcement will be for downloadable European TV shows and not the iTunes Movie Store.

But - in the spirit of contradicting myself and being hopelessly optimistic, go check out the iPod refurb store. $100 off the 5G iPods instead of $50. That makes me think they're clearing inventory.

---------------

Also - In terms of branding - Quicktime Move Store perhaps?

---------------

I'm also guessing that we'll see speed bumps to the iMac and MacBook Pro (since they're the oldest) this Tuesday. The rest we may see during Apple Expo Paris.

Keep in mind that Steve doesn't do a keynote for speed bumps. Just tech advances.

Agreed-UK is next to get TV shows-perhaps BBC will offer its shows.

Lepton
Aug 31, 2006, 10:38 PM
I hesitated all year on the chance Apple would come out with a phone, but this week I went and bought a Nokia. Therefore, this announcement will obviously be a new Apple phone! Trust me, this stuff happens to me all the time... :rolleyes:

aafuss1
Aug 31, 2006, 10:40 PM
Disney movies-after all. iTMS did have a Disney channel movie-High School Musical, so we'll see other Disney movies added on the 12th or soon after.

mi5moav
Aug 31, 2006, 10:45 PM
I'm thinking of an Apple/Canon merger? I was hoping for a buyout of leica or kodak, but I think a Canon merger might work. We haven't seen any large mergers buyouts since HP/Compaq and something is going to happen soon. Though I don't know if this is true or not Steve Jobs and Canon have had close ties for nearly 15 years and I've noticed this recently with the Canon products being given first priority in there digital/video store. At one time Canon even invested something like $10 million into NEXT. Snapping(excuse the pun) Canon would help with a huge amount of patents and might be easier then starting from scratch with a camera or camcorder.

mi5moav
Aug 31, 2006, 11:01 PM
http://www.apple.com/movies

403 error forbidden!!!! WEHOOOOO the pot of gold

Chundles
Aug 31, 2006, 11:02 PM
http://www.apple.com/movies

403 error forbidden!!!! WEHOOOOO the pot of gold

WOW! That's the first time today I've seen that link posted. Welcome to a few years ago.

Lynxpoint
Aug 31, 2006, 11:32 PM
I'm thinking of an Apple/Canon merger? I was hoping for a buyout of leica or kodak, but I think a Canon merger might work. We haven't seen any large mergers buyouts since HP/Compaq and something is going to happen soon. Though I don't know if this is true or not Steve Jobs and Canon have had close ties for nearly 15 years and I've noticed this recently with the Canon products being given first priority in there digital/video store. At one time Canon even invested something like $10 million into NEXT. Snapping(excuse the pun) Canon would help with a huge amount of patents and might be easier then starting from scratch with a camera or camcorder.

Please explain to me how a computer company would benefit from aquiring a camera company because I just don't see it.

balamw
Sep 1, 2006, 12:55 AM
Please explain to me how a computer company would benefit from aquiring a camera company because I just don't see it.
Canon is far more than just a camera company, even tough that is their core business.

In the consumer area, their scanners and printers are usually quite decent.

However, I too just don't see the synergy.

B

swingerofbirch
Sep 1, 2006, 01:17 AM
Well for the sake of pontificating.....

Taking pictures and movies wtih cell phones is very big right now.

But as Steve Jobs would say "it's not a great experience."

He'll show a really crappy movie made on a cell phone.

He'll talk about how the world is evolving, more bandwidth has led to sites like Youtube.

Consumers are getting way more intelligent with movies, and we pioneered desktop movies with iMovie and then added HD functionality with iMovie HD.

But we want to take this one step further.

We want to go from this (shows youtube home movie) to a really great cinematic experience.

Today Apple introduces the world's least expensive High Definition video camera. There are no tapes. It's as easy as iPod.

You just shoot in 1080p, hook it up to your supercharged Intel Mac, edit in iMovie HD, and BOOM.

Look at this. It's gorgeous. Isn't this amazing?

So we're going from this (youtube video) to this. BOOM. Wow.

ROARS OF APPLAUSE AND THUNDER.

And we're introducing the all new QuickTake (or iCam whatever) for just $599.

I dunno!

Just an idea of why Apple would buy Canon (which I don't think they will). lol....

Kingsly
Sep 1, 2006, 02:08 AM
Well for the sake of pontificating.....

Taking pictures and movies wtih cell phones is very big right now.

But as Steve Jobs would say "it's not a great experience."

He'll show a really crappy movie made on a cell phone.

He'll talk about how the world is evolving, more bandwidth has led to sites like Youtube.

Consumers are getting way more intelligent with movies, and we pioneered desktop movies with iMovie and then added HD functionality with iMovie HD.

But we want to take this one step further.

We want to go from this (shows youtube home movie) to a really great cinematic experience.

Today Apple introduces the world's least expensive High Definition video camera. There are no tapes. It's as easy as iPod.

You just shoot in 1080p, hook it up to your supercharged Intel Mac, edit in iMovie HD, and BOOM.

Look at this. It's gorgeous. Isn't this amazing?

So we're going from this (youtube video) to this. BOOM. Wow.

ROARS OF APPLAUSE AND THUNDER.

And we're introducing the all new QuickTake (or iCam whatever) for just $599.

Do you take PayPal!?!?!?!?!?

Machead III
Sep 1, 2006, 03:03 AM
Same here, although I'd probably just get a current Macbook if that's the case. I decided I won't wait beyond Paris Expo.

Although I might still be tempted to buy a MBP if Apple offered a 160GB hd for a reasonable or it were easy to put one in there.

Same here. I'm not waiting beyond Paris, but I won't be able to afford an MBP, unless I bought the current models on eBay proceeding an update.

Ugh... it would just be so much simpler if Apple "revealed their hand" all at once so i knew where I stood. No point in delaying a MB update, it's already been out longer than the average MBP cycle.

DHUK
Sep 1, 2006, 03:10 AM
Isn't it obvious?

iTunes Movie Downloads
Upgraded Minis to include larger harddrives as standard, maybe includes updated version of FrontRow for that Media Hub experience.
TouchScreen iPods (improved screen size)

You might get updated Nanos and upgraded iMacs too.

It's not a Pro event so I doubt anything will be said about MBP's. They'll get a 'silent' update a bit later on in the month.

Machead III
Sep 1, 2006, 03:16 AM
Agreed-UK is next to get TV shows-perhaps BBC will offer its shows.

It had better do. The British public (those who pay license, which like 99% do) has the legal right to every single piece of footage, news story, radio recording etc. etc. the BBC has ever produced, but we have access to about 1% of it.

It's a big point of controversy here. Partly it's been due to technology limitations, but pretty soon there'll be no excuse, and the BBC should be right off the bat finding new ways to deliver what belongs to us.

Chris Bangle
Sep 1, 2006, 03:29 AM
I reckon Steves easily got rights to sell uk movies on itunes, hoping touchscreen thing, uk shows and moives and a iphone.

Has anyone seen how awesome this looks...
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/samsung-ypk5-mp3-mini-boombox-first-unboxing-review-and-video-198099.php

Chris Bangle
Sep 1, 2006, 03:55 AM
It had better do. The British public (those who pay license, which like 99% do) has the legal right to every single piece of footage, news story, radio recording etc. etc. the BBC has ever produced, but we have access to about 1% of it.

It's a big point of controversy here. Partly it's been due to technology limitations, but pretty soon there'll be no excuse, and the BBC should be right off the bat finding new ways to deliver what belongs to us.

Thats why I download top gear!!!!

Multimedia
Sep 1, 2006, 03:58 AM
Same here. I'm not waiting beyond Paris, but I won't be able to afford an MBP, unless I bought the current models on eBay proceeding an update.

Ugh... it would just be so much simpler if Apple "revealed their hand" all at once so i knew where I stood. No point in delaying a MB update, it's already been out longer than the average MBP cycle.There isn't going to be a MacBook update until late Fall when they have enough Meroms to feed the MacBook line with exactly the same speed and L2 cache Meroms. So if you're waiting for Paris to see if there will be Merom MacBooks then, you can forgetaboutit now. Ain't gonna happen 'til the MBP & iMac pipelines are saturated.

Merom C2D processors are on allocation for a few months. LIMITED SUPPLY guys. Means MacBook is next to last to get Meroms followed by mini at the end of allocation time - probably November-December time frame.

VanNess
Sep 1, 2006, 04:02 AM
Well, if any of this is true, I'm going to take a pass on this one.

First of all, I'm not really interested in buying movies. It's not the same as music, with movies one view is all it takes and I'm pretty much done. There are exceptions but they are rare - even rarer now considering the stuff studios are putting out these days. If the rumored price points stick, I can't see the value in downloading something that's likely going to occupy too much space on my drive and even more likely to be erased or burned to DVD - if burning is allowed. Counting up the time to download (ugh), the time to burn it to DVD (if it simply doesn't end up being erased altogether, permissable burning or not) for a movie I never had any intention on keeping in the first place and potentially coughing up about 15 bucks just so I get to join the movie download revolution just isn't adding up in my book.

Worse is if the movie is sub-DVD quality, and I have a bad bad feeling it will be. Ratcheting up H264 to DVD quality (or preferably better - much better) is going to make the download time way too long. In as much as Apple was originally competing with file sharing when it entered the music download biz, it had the advantage of offering consumers a consistent, great sounding, high quality sound file which in itself was desirable where songs that bounced around file sharing networks at the time weren't always so blessed. If Apple really wants to repeat the iTunes miracle again, they have to pull off the same thing with movies. In other words, an experience that is equal to or preferably better than the present DVD experience.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's Apple's intention this time around. My guess is that they are getting their rather sizable and feared (if your Sony, lol) foot in the door now before other online movie dot coms saturate the market and worse, much worse - bring their MS WMV DRM along with them. Apple can establish itself now and pander to the iPod/iTunes faithful and not find itself marginalized for selling online movies in the future by MS and it's C:/Windows/Windows_only/Windows_proprietary/DRM.

But not for me. I still think the online movie biz just isn't ready for prime time, and as a competitor or alternative to Netflix and the terrestrial-based movie rental outfits, far from it. But we'll see. I don't want to poo-poo something sight unseen, and maybe Apple has a surprise or two up it's sleeve - but I doubt it. We simply need better bandwidth than what we have in this country now for this stuff to really fly.

MikeDTyke
Sep 1, 2006, 06:26 AM
Over on the 'other' rumor board. AI details how a user who ordered a single core mini, got a pleasant upgrade to a dual core, 100GB HD and most importantly a superdrive.

Why give us a 100GB HD and a superdrive on the most basic machine, because they want us to have plenty of space for the movie downloads and there will be an option to burn these files to DVD.

Couple this with a widescreen ipod, released now and a nano possibly later but with a screen comparable to current 5Gen. That way they get maximum coverage for the new movie store ie. all models play video and anyone prepared to buy the 6G out of the way before they introduce the new nano.

Its a common tactic of the industry to release the highend model first where it potentially is in competition with lower models. Last years nano and 5G where so far apart, there wasn't a worry about releasing the junior model first.

M.

Chundles
Sep 1, 2006, 06:34 AM
Over on the 'other' rumor board. AI details how a user who ordered a single core mini, got a pleasant upgrade to a dual core, 100GB HD and most importantly a superdrive.

Why give us a 100GB HD and a superdrive on the most basic machine, because they want us to have plenty of space for the movie downloads and there will be an option to burn these files to DVD.

Couple this with a widescreen ipod, released now and a nano possibly later but with a screen comparable to current 5Gen. That way they get maximum coverage for the new movie store ie. all models play video and anyone prepared to buy the 6G out of the way before they introduce the new nano.

Its a common tactic of the industry to release the highend model first where it potentially is in competition with lower models. Last years nano and 5G where so far apart, there wasn't a worry about releasing the junior model first.

M.

Wasn't a silent upgrade. Apple bollocksed up the order.

MacSA
Sep 1, 2006, 06:42 AM
A lot of people have doubts as to whether that was a genuine upgrade or some kind of mistake on Apple's part.... or perhaps someone just playing around with us.

MikeDTyke
Sep 1, 2006, 06:50 AM
Wasn't a silent upgrade. Apple bollocksed up the order.

You know this for certain????

Last year Apple did the exact same thing sneaking out faster G4's with more vram in the Mac mini line.

Everyone and their pet rumor site is expecting upgrades. We weren't expecting across the board superdrives. I now am.

Personally i'd trade that superdrive for GMA965 with x3000 graphics, but thats about as likely before MWSF07 as a bullet proof string vest.

M.

Chundles
Sep 1, 2006, 07:01 AM
You know this for certain????

Last year Apple did the exact same thing sneaking out faster G4's with more vram in the Mac mini line.

Everyone and their pet rumor site is expecting upgrades. We weren't expecting across the board superdrives. I now am.

Personally i'd trade that superdrive for GMA965 with x3000 graphics, but thats about as likely before MWSF07 as a bullet proof string vest.

M.

I;;,m drunkn as a skunk. I know evderything for certain.

Last silent upgrades were very small. if this isn't a mistake is a massive upgrade.

simon.hibbs
Sep 1, 2006, 07:06 AM
End of Core Solo minis.

With you so far, but I don't think Core 2 Duo is realy all that much of a big deal for Apple in the grand scheme of things. It's a small speed bump, with 64 bit as a bonus extra.

I don't believe any of this. The intel MacBook Pros just came out, and the main advantage of the 2 Duo is it's socet compatible with it's predecessor. Why screw aroud with a proven design, when there's absolutely no need. You do that sort of thing when the chipset and whatnot changes and you have to redesign the internals anyway.

The same goes for the iMac, it's a great design. They had a chance to rev the designs when they moved to intel and chose not to. They're not going to rework the internals now just for the sake of it. The next opportunity for that is with the next major rework of the mainboard and peripheral connections, whenever that will be.

As for movie download, it's possible but I think it would be a premature move. Further expansion of their TV show range is much more likely as it fits the casual listening/watching pattern of iPod owners.

Finaly, Merom whatnot are being very much overhyped. The main tech advancements for most users came with Core Duo. iMac and mac Mini prices dropped in the UK in the summer so when Core 2 Duo gets announced you can bet they'll be back up at the release price of the respective hardware platform (iMac, Mini, PBP, etc). Thus you will get more power, but you'll pay for it so bang for buck wise I realy don't think it will make a massive difference.

Simon Hibbs

mi5moav
Sep 1, 2006, 07:10 AM
yup, this would be vertical acquisition, well probably more diagonal

Consumer Photography/Video- Apple knows something about this
Consumer Printing - Apple knows something about this

Apple has shipped over a million cameras in the last quarter alone so they do know something about the business.

Business- Canon is a big name in business Apple needs to get in
Medical - Canon is a big name in Medicine Apple needs to get in

Apple needs to grow, they must make shareholders Happy... this world revolves around shareholders, that's it, well actually making WallStreet Happy.

Then tell me what you would do with $10billion in Cash?

It's either that or give it all to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

Synapple
Sep 1, 2006, 07:15 AM
Ok..You got me..
What I meant was Tuesday was Sept. 12th in Cupertino..NOT monday as the poster said.;)

Yeah I got that ;)
I was just euphoric due to the news of an upcoming Apple event and a couple of Pina Coladas... :o

yojitani
Sep 1, 2006, 07:20 AM
Well, just to add to the Core2duo speculation, I got an e-ad from Dell this morning advertizing the Inspiron E1705 with the Core2Duo shipping Sept 15.

Quartz Extreme
Sep 1, 2006, 07:55 AM
With you so far, but I don't think Core 2 Duo is realy all that much of a big deal for Apple in the grand scheme of things. It's a small speed bump, with 64 bit as a bonus extra.

Well, for the Merom, you get about 20% performance for the same clock speed as well as slightly improved power usage. With the Conroe, the change is much more noticable, providing 40% more performance, while using 40% less power than the Pentium D.

The Core 2 Duo models also sport these cheesy Intel-named features. (Translation in parenthesis)
- Intel® Wide Dynamic Execution (Widens the execution core by 33% and adds Macro-fusion to combine x86 instructions)
- Intel® Intelligent Power Capability (better SpeedStep technology)
- Intel® Advanced Smart Cache (refined, faster cache design)
- Intel® Smart Memory Access (lower latency memory access)
- Intel® Advanced Digital Media Boost (do SSE instructions in one cycle)

The Core 2 is basically a refinement of everything in Yonah. For Merom, it's a modest increase, but for the Conroe, there will be a bigger difference.

I don't believe any of this. The intel MacBook Pros just came out,

Announced in January, released in February, speed bumped in May. I'm in the market for a MBP, so I hope they update it soon.

Why screw aroud with a proven design, when there's absolutely no need.

I'm thinking they'll make minor changes, like make the top bezel thinner, as it's a little wider right now for the camera, and change the case slightly if necessary to accomodate a dual-layer burner. And please, give back the FW800 and add another USB port!

As far as features go, It'd be neat to offer 802.11N (probably not because the spec isn't final yet, though I don't think G was final when they made Airport Extreme) and maybe a bumped GPU also.

The same goes for the iMac, it's a great design. They had a chance to rev the designs when they moved to intel and chose not to.

I think what Apple has been doing by keeping most of their models with virtually the same look with the switch to Intel is to create a sense of continuity with the PPC Macs.

They might change the case to be more accessable (I think that was lost somewhere in the G5 era) and to loose some of the blank white space below the screen (It doesn't bother me, but I've heard people say it does a bit).

Just minor refinements because, yes I agree, it is a great design. It kinda reminds me of a futuristic original Macintosh.

Oh, and maybe they'll have it in black.

As for movie download, it's possible but I think it would be a premature move. Further expansion of their TV show range is much more likely as it fits the casual listening/watching pattern of iPod owners.

Well, when Apple does it (I do say when because there is a ton of evidence pointing that way), they will change the iPod to make it more feasable for people to watch full-length movies on it...with a widescreen touch display, and maybe crank up the output resolution so it's decent for watching on TV. Then throw in Bluetooth for remote control and wireless audio streaming.

skunk
Sep 1, 2006, 08:01 AM
I;;,m drunkn as a skunk. Oi! :mad:

;)

billy_d_goat
Sep 1, 2006, 08:07 AM
Minor hardware upgrades, sure. But, a largescale hardware rollout, I doubt it. New Movie Store sounds great though!

And what is with all the drunk skunks in here?! :eek:

DHUK
Sep 1, 2006, 08:18 AM
I'd say a refresh of the Mac Mini and/or iMac might happen. Why would they call both of the existing models 'early 2006' (esp. the mini) in this page.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303315

lazyrighteye
Sep 1, 2006, 08:39 AM
I was all set to buy one of the New Archos PVP's.... They are pretty sweet.

But knowing my previous buying luck, I'd buy it, then Apple would release the new vPod and movie store.

If what you write is true, would you mind buying that Archos PVP?
I sure would like a new iPod video...

Chundles
Sep 1, 2006, 08:42 AM
I'd say a refresh of the Mac Mini and/or iMac might happen. Why would they call both of the existing models 'early 2006' (esp. the mini) in this page.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303315

Because that's when they were released.

viperguy
Sep 1, 2006, 08:56 AM
aaaaa gimme my core2duo macbook :)
I'm not buying the ordinary coreduo because I heard that it has a lot of bugs that intel will only fix on the new processor.
And I can wait, so if it doesn't come this month, I don't care waiting another one, who knows even a year :)

Peace
Sep 1, 2006, 09:02 AM
I'm starting to question the validity of any keynote.There's only one story about it and it's not even on the radio shows webpage.Why are there not more media types getting "invitations" ?

tcctre
Sep 1, 2006, 09:06 AM
I'm starting to question the validity of any keynote.There's only one story about it and it's not even on the radio shows webpage.Why are there not more media types getting "invitations" ?

Invites are suppose to go out today or Monday.

It is definately iTunes related. It is suppose to be adding movies to iTunes.

Teddy's
Sep 1, 2006, 09:08 AM
If there were a special event like the one described iLounge would have received one.

Maybe is not about iPods.
Who knows for sure? This is a rumor site

mac yahh!!!
Sep 1, 2006, 09:12 AM
Invites are suppose to go out today or Monday.

It is definately iTunes related. It is suppose to be adding movies to iTunes.
apperently though there going to be a bit expensive when compared to the tv shows "supposedly"- http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/itunes-movie-store-details-emerge-1499-per-new-movie-198140.php

berkleeboy210
Sep 1, 2006, 10:12 AM
saw a post on ilounge earlier.... that said this guy went to his local apple store, and they said to wait until next week (the 5th) because imacs and mac minis would have core 2 duos.

if this is true, then this event on 9/12 will most definetely be strictly ipod/itunes related. :)

Squire
Sep 1, 2006, 10:30 AM
I suspect we'll get ourselves all twisted 'bout this, tune in only to see iPod HiFi v 2.0 instead..

Good point. That's also what I'm "expecting" so I'm not disappointed. Actually, I'm not really in the market for anything that Apple has right now so a totally new product would be nice.

-Squire

Multimedia
Sep 1, 2006, 10:32 AM
I don't think Core 2 Duo is realy all that much of a big deal for Apple in the grand scheme of things. It's a small speed bump, with 64 bit as a bonus extra.I think 31% Longer Battery Life, 20% more power at same speed, 4MB L2 cache, significantly cooler (http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=288&type=expert&pid=1) is a very big deal.I don't believe any of this. The intel MacBook Pros just came out, and the main advantage of the 2 Duo is it's socet compatible with it's predecessor. Why screw aroud with a proven design, when there's absolutely no need. You do that sort of thing when the chipset and whatnot changes and you have to redesign the internals anyway.MBP announced January 10 shipped February. Needs redesign to add the easy access HD Bay they put in MacBook in May. Whenever Apple adds a Pro feature to a consumer system it means the next pro system will have it too.Finaly, Merom whatnot are being very much overhyped. The main tech advancements for most users came with Core Duo. iMac and mac Mini prices dropped in the UK in the summer so when Core 2 Duo gets announced you can bet they'll be back up at the release price of the respective hardware platform (iMac, Mini, PBP, etc). Thus you will get more power, but you'll pay for it so bang for buck wise I realy don't think it will make a massive difference.PC Perspectives Editor's Choice Award: (http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=288&type=expert&pid=1) "We can now say without a doubt that Intel's latest mobile CPU has nailed the holy grail in mobile computing - it performs faster, consumes less power, and generates less heat. What else is there to say besides that?...

Not only that, it has technology improvements under the hood like a larger level 2 cache (4MB) and 64-bit extensions to support 64-bit OSes like the upcoming Windows Vista. If you've had reservations before about getting a laptop, the Core 2 Duo should have you convinced. Intel's track record in this arena is strong, and their latest CPU just solidifies their lead."

Read these charts and tell us how it won't make a big difference again:

nevir
Sep 1, 2006, 10:41 AM
The way I see it is why buy a product when it is being improved (no matter how little or much) and should be the same price or lower... most likely within the next few weeks?

Peace
Sep 1, 2006, 10:54 AM
Not sure if it's a typo or not but MacNN is saying Apple has confirmed a special event for Sept. 14th.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/31/boot.camp.mac.gui/

HecubusPro
Sep 1, 2006, 11:38 AM
The way I see it is why buy a product when it is being improved (no matter how little or much) and should be the same price or lower... most likely within the next few weeks?

Unless Apple adds a Blu-ray drive in their MBP's (not gonna happen, at least at this point) I doubt we'll see a price increase in those systems when they get teh C2D upgrade. As far as other computers are concerned, I'm not sure--doubt macbooks will increase either since their price tag is so attractive to consumers and competitve with other brands. It seems that the mini has had the most fluid pricing structure, but I could be wrong.

ImNoSuperMan
Sep 1, 2006, 11:59 AM
Great. This seems to be it. Hopefully we get Merom MBP announced this Sept 12. Cant wait.......

nem3015
Sep 1, 2006, 12:30 PM
oppps my bad.

OK then early in the morning so will be evening in Paris. Frenchs anyway like it better in the evening. :p

Rocketman
Sep 1, 2006, 02:55 PM
While it sounds good, I don't see this happen soon at all. Also, Verizon disagrees with you, because they are pulling fiber to the homes in several (large) cities and more to come. The investment for 4G (802.16e I assume you're talking about)will be much too high while not providing enough guarantees it will be financial feasible in short and mid term to make shareholders feel confortable. But if it will, Apple will get my money :) But are there enough gadget geeks like me in the world? That will make or break the project.....

It boils down to suburban, rural, and rural-suburban access.

Currently Satellite will do it at high cost. (hughesnet.com)

2G will do it with crippled bandwidth and high cost.

POTS will do it with crippled speed and uncrippled cost.

Big cities are never the biggest nut to crack.

Rocketman

aafuss1
Sep 1, 2006, 03:45 PM
Blu-ray in a laptop can be done, as Sony did with the AR Vaio (but more expensive, here $5400 in Australia), but probably for Mac Pro and MBP 17".

berkleeboy210
Sep 1, 2006, 06:32 PM
Toshiba just announced a newer Gigabeat, based on the success of the Gigabeat S. the Gigabeat V is more designed for video, and is now available for pre-order on Amazon for $399. Release date Oct. 14

Hopefully the new iPod will be out by this time frame as well.

DRewPi
Sep 2, 2006, 12:17 PM
Hey guys, just hope some stuff comes out on the 5th, like new MBP with some C2D, i guess that should show up... and doesn't need any kind of keynote show.... and maybe the mini ... to with some improved specs ... as far fot the MB, that is what I'm waiting for ... shouldn't show up at least by the end of the month !!! But who KNOWS ..... ???? :rolleyes: A litle suprise would be nice !!!!

DRewPi
Sep 2, 2006, 03:52 PM
MacBook for 999$ with some up features would be the deal for me !!!!!

Otherwise just throw in some of that C2D chips and let it rock !!!! :D

brepublican
Sep 2, 2006, 04:02 PM
Hey guys, just hope some stuff comes out on the 5th, like new MBP with some C2D, i guess that should show up... and doesn't need any kind of keynote show.... and maybe the mini ... to with some improved specs ... as far fot the MB, that is what I'm waiting for ... shouldn't show up at least by the end of the month !!! But who KNOWS ..... ???? :rolleyes: A litle suprise would be nice !!!!
I think the focus is on the iMac and mini. I have been waiting long enough for this...

This is gonna be one hot upgrade:D :D

longsilver
Sep 2, 2006, 04:43 PM
I'm sure there's actually a perfectly reasonable explanation, but it would be fun to indulge in groundless speculation and suggest that declining to bother to go to Paris to give this keynote is a riposte to the French and their recent legislative fiddling with DRM and iTMS.

ChickenSwartz
Sep 2, 2006, 04:49 PM
oppps my bad.

OK then early in the morning so will be evening in Paris. Frenchs anyway like it better in the evening. :p

So I have read a lot of these posts, but not all, sorry if this has been dicussed.

Is it weird to have a special event in SF on the day the Paris Expo starts?

Do you think this is pointing towards an iPod/iTunes announcement (movie rentals or whatever)?

If there is no keynote in Paris and a special event on the 12th that has something to do with iPod/Tunes, does this give further evidence that C2C will be in on the 5th?

drlunanerd
Sep 2, 2006, 04:55 PM
I think it's pointing to Apple not bothering with the Paris Expo anymore. Their disinterest started last year, and unfortunately I was there at the time, altough Mr Jobs did show up for a press conference and checked out the Sony stand, ha.

I had a better time at the London Mac Expo. Apple should make product announcements here from now on :D

ChickenSwartz
Sep 2, 2006, 04:55 PM
Multimedia:

You seem to know your facts. I'd like to get your opinion:

When do you think C2D will be in MBPs? On the 5th? 12th?

I too hope there is an user removable HD.

What are the odds that they will give us a 12'' option?

I am asking all this becasue I would like a 12'', removable HD, C2D MBP before the free iPod offer expires. A 15'' would be fine too.

HecubusPro
Sep 2, 2006, 05:18 PM
Is it weird to have a special event in SF on the day the Paris Expo starts?

Perhaps is just being done in conjunction with the Paris expo. That's what I gathered anyway.

MacinDoc
Sep 2, 2006, 05:26 PM
They will be announced and shipping by the 12th. Based on Intel's new pricing, there's no reason to keep Core chips in any of Apple' computers, it will be Core2 across the board.
Given that the MB has this, it's a given that the revised MBPs will have it.
I'll leave that one to Multimedia.

Multimedia
Sep 2, 2006, 06:43 PM
Multimedia:

You seem to know your facts. I'd like to get your opinion:

I am asking all this becasue I would like a 12'', removable HD, C2D MBP before the free iPod offer expires. A 15'' would be fine too.I think Jobs will introduce the new C2D MacBook Pro at the September 12th, 14th or 19th event. No 12". MacBook fills that niche. But I don't think Apple is getting enough Meroms to put them in anything but the MBP and iMacs yet. I think MB next and last mini will get Merom in a couple more months as soon as supply can keep up with Apple's production needs.

I think given the state of the world terrorism situation, Jobs probably doesn't want to leave the country any more. I know I don't. Hell, I don't even want to leave Santa Cruz. :) I don't even want to leave this seat.

babyj
Sep 2, 2006, 06:51 PM

I don't think it is that simple. There are obstacles to the BBC offering more material in digital formats, if they could they would. Plus they already offer far more than any other tv companies in the UK at present.

Everyone seems far too pre-occupied with the USA, forgetting the fact that there is very little (ie none) tv content available to users outside the USA. I'd of thought addressing that would be higher on the list of priorities than offering movies to the USA, especially as there isn't any real opposition for the movie market at present.

More important in the UK though is the Premiership (the top football/soccer league in the UK) - if they started offering complete games for download at say £2 each they'd probably sell out of iPods within a week. It worked for Sky and I'm sure it would for Apple / iTunes.

A bigger threat is Microsofts new 'ipod killer', so I'd be surprised if there isn't a major make over for the iPod range soon - definetly in time for Christmas. No doubt it will be better for watching video, with a movie store following later.

I don't see upgrades to the existing Mini/iMac/Macbook range being that news worthy. Nor is an enhanced home media server type offering likely to be coming soon, I'd of thought that will come in Leopard.

jesteraver
Sep 2, 2006, 06:53 PM
Would be nice if I could download movies and tv shows here in Canada!!!

MarcelV
Sep 2, 2006, 08:37 PM
....but can't find anywhere hard evidence for September 12. Macbidouille is referencing conformation from sources, but don't have a date. Hardmac has a copy of a meeting invite for the 19th. So, will there be a September 12 meeting? I really hope so, as I will be in Vegas that day, and don't mind to pick up some stuff at the Apple store. :)

Peace
Sep 2, 2006, 08:53 PM
....but can't find anywhere hard evidence for September 12. Macbidouille is referencing conformation from sources, but don't have a date. Hardmac has a copy of a meeting invite for the 19th. So, will there be a September 12 meeting? I really hope so, as I will be in Vegas that day, and don't mind to pick up some stuff at the Apple store. :)

It's not just you..

I have pointed to the MacNN confirmation of an Apple event on Sept.14th several times.

From MacNN :
"In brief: Apple has confirmed plans to hold a special event on September 14, coinciding with rumors of an Apple movie store launch in that time period...."

This is the ONLY confirmation from Apple to any online site I know of.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/31/boot.camp.mac.gui/

MattDell
Sep 2, 2006, 09:01 PM
Interesting tidbit I thought I'd share:

My gf's dad is in the military and he was asking about Macbooks at AAFES because my gf has been saving up to buy one. The salesman there said that they were out of stock at the moment, but that they could order one and it would ship out either the 12th or 15th of September.

Sounds promising!! :)

-Matt

HecubusPro
Sep 3, 2006, 12:26 AM
Interesting tidbit I thought I'd share:

My gf's dad is in the military and he was asking about Macbooks at AAFES because my gf has been saving up to buy one. The salesman there said that they were out of stock at the moment, but that they could order one and it would ship out either the 12th or 15th of September.

Sounds promising!! :)

-Matt

A news report suggested that the back-to-school rush has been the reason for the macbook specific shortages. Indications are the macbook won't be updated with Core 2 Duo until a later time, but could be as early as the end of September. I would guess we won't see C2D macbooks this month at least though. MBP's on the other had will hopefully, and should be shipping within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

~Shard~
Sep 3, 2006, 12:45 AM
A news report suggested that the back-to-school rush has been the reason for the macbook specific shortages. Indications are the macbook won't be updated with Core 2 Duo until a later time, but could be as early as the end of September. I would guess we won't see C2D macbooks this month at least though. MBP's on the other had will hopefully, and should be shipping within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Yeah, this is definitely another possibility to consider - the MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not necessarily going to be updated with Merom simultaneously. Perhaps only the MBPs will be updated for now, with the MacBooks following a few weeks later.

As many others have said, only time will tell - luckily it's a relatively short period of time. ;) :cool:

DRewPi
Sep 3, 2006, 05:57 AM
Is Apple goin to pull out several tuesday upgrades like the 5th, the 12th, and so on .... ???? that should be very nice for us .... !!! macusers :D :cool: ;)

Machead III
Sep 3, 2006, 09:25 AM
Well, I just sold my iMac, so I'm coming to you all from the tiny screen of my Nokia N70.

I'm looking to aquire a MacBook. Here in the UK we have our iPod rebate deal until mid-October, which will effectively knock the price of a Nano on eBay off the price of my machine.

What would you say, will there be MacBooks before mid-October? I don't want to wait any longer than that. Should I bother waiting or buy now?

DRewPi
Sep 3, 2006, 09:58 AM
I would at least wait and see what happens this mid september with all the things that are to come !!!! Then if u really need the MB just go for it !!!!

UmaThurman
Sep 3, 2006, 06:48 PM
This may be a really dumb question, but when the new MBP comes out, do y'all think it'll stay aroudn the same price range or increase?:confused:

Squire
Sep 3, 2006, 07:13 PM
This may be a really dumb question, but when the new MBP comes out, do y'all think it'll stay aroudn the same price range or increase?:confused:

I'd guess stay the same or maybe even decrease depending on the price Apple gets on Merom chips.

-Squire

MattDell
Sep 3, 2006, 07:22 PM
Typically you get an upgrade and no price change. Sometimes the price even goes down.

-Matt

FFTT
Sep 3, 2006, 07:42 PM
This is torture for me too.

My oldest daughter's birthday is the 7th and she's already expecting
a notebook.

I'm still trying to hold off ordering at least 1 of 2 MacBooks until Tuesday.

I can order a refurb 2.0 with no problem or blindly order a new 2.0
MacBook at education price hoping it will ship with any updates.

The problem is timing .

If the MacBooks do not update, I end up with a new stripped MacBook 2.0

If I cave and go for the refurb, it gets here faster and it may include a bit of
refurb candy.

Frazzled

FFTT
Sep 3, 2006, 08:01 PM
Typically you get an upgrade and no price change. Sometimes the price even goes down.

-Matt

Apple may offer a choice of Core Duo 1 or Core Duo 2 as a BTO option.

Doing this might allow Apple to sell the Basic MacBooks and iMacs for less while
the Core Duo 2 models will be favored by those who can afford to spend a bit more.

Multimedia
Sep 3, 2006, 08:06 PM
This is torture for me too. My oldest daughter's birthday is the 7th and she's already expecting a notebook. I'm still trying to hold off ordering at least 1 of 2 MacBooks until Tuesday.

I can order a refurb 2.0 with no problem or blindly order a new 2.0 MacBook at education price hoping it will ship with any updates.

The problem is timing. If the MacBooks do not update, I end up with a new stripped MacBook 2.0. If I cave and go for the refurb, it gets here faster and it may include a bit of refurb candy.How old is your daughter about to be? Will she understand waiting for the Merom MacBook? It's gonna be the same speed but it will have twice the L2 cache (4MB) which should make a performance difference. It will also have aabout 30% longer battery life, according to preliminary tests at PC Perspectives (http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=288&type=expert&pid=1), and run cooler. If you can talk her into it, I would wait however long it takes for the Merom MacBook which I think will be before Thanksgiving worst case.

I doubt it will happen in September if that's what you're hoping for. Not enough supply. MBP & iMac get 'em first.

MacinDoc
Sep 3, 2006, 08:13 PM
Apple may offer a choice of Core Duo 1 or Core Duo 2 as a BTO option.

Doing this might allow Apple to sell the Basic MacBooks and iMacs for less while
the Core Duo 2 models will be favored by those who can afford to spend a bit more.
Except that the Core Duo is no less expensive than the Core2 Duo, and because of inferior power management, is less suitable for laptops. And BTO CPU options for notebooks are unlikely, considering how they would make the product line more complicated, and they would require a change to a socketed CPU.

dekator
Sep 4, 2006, 12:46 AM
Well, if Steve wants to shun Europe, ok. However, these yes, no, maybe games are utterly unbecoming of a company like Apple. Not untypical but out of place. The main representatives not being able to say when and where they'll show isn't very reassuring.

Well, I'll be on vacation for a week soon, so when I'm be back, we'll know more, perhaps.
Still... leaving out a free trip to Paris, duh! And these guys are designing our computers? OMG. Ah well, it's not really them, they just give the orders.

DRewPi
Sep 4, 2006, 03:57 AM
How do you feel if the MBP gets a nice upgrade that eventually the MB is going to go down on price ???? The first MB should be selling for 999$ ?? NO?

See yall .... :D

Machead III
Sep 4, 2006, 04:03 AM
Oh man, this just get's more and more confusing.

Now The Register are claiming there'll be Merom's not only in the MacBook Pro, but in the MacBook too in September.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/11/apple_macbook_to_get_merom/

I wish Apple'd tell us when we'll see them at least, on the 12th, but that's not going to happen :(

MacSA
Sep 4, 2006, 05:00 AM
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0609sept12event.html

Apple will take advantage of a September 12 media event to introduce the second-generation iPod nano, an updated 5G iPod, and upgraded iMacs, sources report. Additional members of the media are slated to received invitations to the event this week..

Chris Bangle
Sep 4, 2006, 05:13 AM
Something has to happen on the 12th becuase there were reports that british press had been invited. We'll find out tomarrow coz invites usually get sent a week before.

MacSA
Sep 4, 2006, 06:28 AM
Well, I just hope we get new Mini's this week and the iMac/iPod stuff on the 12th. :)

Multimedia
Sep 4, 2006, 05:38 PM
Oh man, this just get's more and more confusing.

Now The Register is claiming there'll be Merom's not only in the MacBook Pro, but in the MacBook too in September:

Apple's MacBook to get an early Merom upgrade? (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/11/apple_macbook_to_get_merom/)Perfect. That works for me 'cause if Apple doesn't present a redesigned MBP with an easy access HD Bay, I'm definitely going C2D MacBook. Already "bought" a pair of 2.5" external USB 2 cases today - for FREE after rebate - in anticipation of removing the stock drive and replacing it with a Seagate 160. :)

macman2790
Sep 6, 2006, 03:01 AM
Perfect. That works for me 'cause if Apple doesn't present a redesigned MBP with an easy access HD Bay, I'm definitely going C2D MacBook. Already "bought" a pair of 2.5" external USB 2 cases today - for FREE after rebate - in anticipation of removing the stock drive and replacing it with a Seagate 160. :)

Same here if it happens to just be a processor upgrade without adding some of the needed features

chasemac
Sep 6, 2006, 03:14 AM
I get it! They will is gonna maybe show it.:)

bartelby
Sep 6, 2006, 03:16 AM
I get it! They will is gonna maybe show it.:)

Oh! Thanks for that... :D

Sep 6, 2006, 03:51 AM
okay.

so if a 720p movie is 3 GB and a lot of you are saying it currently can take "forever" for video to download through the iTune Music Store, my question is, how long is "forever" to you all? i've lived in korea, and, on occasion, downloaded 3 GB in about one minute, so my perspective is pretty poor.

i live in tokyo, where i get fantastic, fantastic fiber internet (and pay much for the pleasure), which yields pretty nice download speeds.

i have never used the iTunes store! i have iTunes on my terrible, terrible PC here at work here at this Evil Corporation of mine, and i will be buying a MacBook Pro the moment Core 2 Duo is confirmed, so i might as well start using iTunes to download whatever pleases me. i only hope i can download some american television programs with a japanese iTunes account. or . . . maybe not? i don't know how it's going to work. i'll look into it!!

would really like a new iPod!! my old 40GB workhorse finally fell over dead, a whole six months after the warranty was done for, so i'd love some big giant iPod video breakthrough.

very excited to see what kind of distribution system they're looking at, seeing as it will affect both my life (40" 1080p bravia X series at home!!) and my . . . job.

either way, this is all very exciting!! i just hope Core 2 Duo is announced. i want my 20%!!

also, did anyone else notice that nintendo is doing press conferences world-wide on september 14th, unveiling the price and release of their Wii console?

that company is looking more and more like apple every day.