PDA

View Full Version : CS2 Universal Binary Update




aaronb
Aug 31, 2006, 02:25 PM
I have a question about CS2 becoming a Universal Binary for Mac. First of all, I am beginning a Graphic Design course and it was recommended to pick up a copy of CS2. I knew that there wasn't a UB out for it so I was wondering how fast (or slow) it would run on an Intel Mac. Does anyone know?

Also, assuming I did purchase CS2, how much would it cost to get the UB when it is released for Macs?

Thanks!



Blue Velvet
Aug 31, 2006, 02:38 PM
There will be no UB for CS2... absolutely guaranteed.

In terms of comparative speed, by most accounts 20-35% slower running through Rosetta. I've used CS1 on an Intel iMac and it was like using it on 1ghz G4. Not disastrous but clunky.

However, there have been reports of the dual 2.5 Mac Pro running it faster than the Quad G5.

aaron.lee2006
Aug 31, 2006, 03:28 PM
Meh, I use CS2 on a MacBook Pro (coming from a pc) I don't notice it being that slow. I think it runs rather well, but at sometimes you will definately notice some slow downs. But say if someone was buying a new intel mac and required CS2, they shouldn't be the least bit worried about running a business using it or something like that. It performs just fine, in my opinion. On the other end, it is a possibility that after CS3 is released they could release a crossgrade. You never know

iGav
Aug 31, 2006, 03:30 PM
The best way I can describe it is that it's okay for screen resolution stuff, but it's like a kick in the balls for print resolution stuff... e.g. a continuous stomach cramping ache, that you have to wait for half an hour to dull down enough to be able to continue working on anything else.

aaronb
Aug 31, 2006, 03:50 PM
When a UB does come out, how much would it be after already purchasing CS2?

Cooknn
Aug 31, 2006, 03:53 PM
Nice subject for your thread :cool:

Blue Velvet
Aug 31, 2006, 03:59 PM
When a UB does come out, how much would it be after already purchasing CS2?

Creative Suite 3 will be universal when it's released probably before June 2007. Adobe has not released pricing details yet but I would imagine it would be broadly similar to the upgrade price from CS1 to CS2.

Of course, as a student, you would probably be eligible for an educational version which is sold at a considerably lower price than the commercial release.

aaronb
Aug 31, 2006, 04:00 PM
Sorry, kind of made it sound like I had some hope for those desperately desiring CS3! :)

billy_d_goat
Sep 1, 2006, 08:14 AM
I've had several print shopt clients grab Intel iMacs in the last few months. Besides issues with Version Cue hosing startup, CS2 works fine for them. For most people, it seems that they do not notice the slowdown, or the jump from their older machines to the new Intel makes up for it.

Can't wait until CS3 though!

zwida
Sep 1, 2006, 08:37 AM
On the other end, it is a possibility that after CS3 is released they could release a crossgrade.

They won't crossgrade to CS3. It's not like we're going to buy it for the new "features" they'll be adding to it; if they crossgrade it, they'd be giving it away to their entire base.

BakedBeans
Sep 1, 2006, 10:43 AM
However, there have been reports of the dual 2.5 Mac Pro running it faster than the Quad G5.


I would seriously question the validity of those reports. Testing (from both people emailing me after using my test and the recent barefeats test using my action) shows that it isn't that bad but also isn't that great.