PDA

View Full Version : Resume Job Titles

eyeon
Aug 31, 2006, 04:48 PM
I'm preparing my resume and in putting it all together I am realizing that I'm not sure what I can safely say my role in the job (i.e. creative, director, art director, graphic designer, etc.) has been for some of my past experiences. For example, I worked for an ad agency as the sole designer -- I made everything. Corporate identity and branding for the company, brochures, collateral, marketing material, and of course, all of the ads. Obviously, I want to make myself look good and say that I was the creative director for the company, but as I understand it, you must have a team of other designers working under you in order to earn that title, correct? If so, does the same rule apply for an art director? I mean, if you think about it, I did every single piece of creative material for the company, which is basically what a creative director (and art director) would be doing as well, am I wrong?

So, what title do you think I could get away with to give myself?

Blue Velvet
Aug 31, 2006, 04:54 PM
So, what title do you think I could get away with to give myself?

Whatever title will not be laughed at if they get in touch with your former employers for a reference. ;)

Best not to emphasise title; better to emphasise responsibilities.

Here's a quote I read somewhere a long time ago but forget the source; it could have even been here on MR... it's pasted into the top of my work-in-progress CV (resume) to remind me what's important as I revisit it now and then.

"...my director used to say (media) chucking away cvs in the bin after 2 seconds of browsing 'There are so many CVs telling me about their history but I'm not interested. What I want to know is what they can offer, what kind of benefit they can bring to the company & me."

eyeon
Aug 31, 2006, 11:58 PM
Whatever title will not be laughed at if they get in touch with your former employers for a reference. ;)

Best not to emphasise title; better to emphasise responsibilities.

Here's a quote I read somewhere a long time ago but forget the source; it could have even been here on MR... it's pasted into the top of my work-in-progress CV (resume) to remind me what's important as I revisit it now and then.

"...my director used to say (media) chucking away cvs in the bin after 2 seconds of browsing 'There are so many CVs telling me about their history but I'm not interested. What I want to know is what they can offer, what kind of benefit they can bring to the company & me."

This is very helpful. Your post (and that quote) makes me realize that there are certainly parts of my resume that are likely a bit wordy and "historical"... I have plenty to say without having to elaborate on what I've done, and instead focus on what I can do... thanks for that.

Still wonder if it's okay that I call myself the creative director if technically I was only the graphic designer -- hopefully no one would scoff at that detail, but you're right -- after contacting my employers they would probably not hold it against me...

hmmmm...

ATD
Sep 1, 2006, 01:03 AM
This is very helpful. Your post (and that quote) makes me realize that there are certainly parts of my resume that are likely a bit wordy and "historical"... I have plenty to say without having to elaborate on what I've done, and instead focus on what I can do... thanks for that.

Still wonder if it's okay that I call myself the creative director if technically I was only the graphic designer -- hopefully no one would scoff at that detail, but you're right -- after contacting my employers they would probably not hold it against me...

hmmmm...

OK, a little advice from a ex CD ;), your resume is a record of your past used as an indicator of what your present abilities are. If you are applying to CD positions and you really believe you are qualified to hold that position, then yes. If you are using it to get a design position you might be asked why you are not going for a CD position. Or they might believe you are over-qualified. Or that you might be pumping up your resume. Careful what you wish for. Gear your resume to be in line with what you are looking for and one that supports where you have been.

Macky-Mac
Sep 1, 2006, 04:10 PM
.... Obviously, I want to make myself look good and say that I was the creative director for the company, but as I understand it, you must have a team of other designers working under you in order to earn that title, correct? If so, does the same rule apply for an art director?...

if that's how you understand the term, then you're probably right!

As you worry, the word "director" does seem to suggest you've had staff working under you to carry out your ideas

Were the concepts for the ad campaigns all yours? or did you just design art work for the ads?

hmmm, maybe you should just call yourself the "art department" or "design department" instead of worrying about a job title since your did everything