PDA

View Full Version : Loud TiBook

hubristol
Aug 31, 2006, 05:16 PM
Hey guys, I got another question for you.

Is there any way to easily upgrade the fan in a TiBook? Is there anything I can do to reduce the noise? I used it for the first time in one of my lecture classes today and while the noise didn't turn heads or anything it just felt like it was probably a distraction to some of the people immediately around me especially when I awoke it from sleep. And the computer is this way even after I don't use it for a while. It seems to make as much noise regardless of whether I've been using it for 2 hours straight or if I'm using it for the first time in several hours. While it doesn't get physically hot until maybe 20 minutes after using it, the fan sounds like it's at full power almost right from start up.

Would getting a fresh battery help out with this problem? I'm not running anything more demanding than Word on it so I know it's not being overloaded. Thanks.

indigoflowAS
Aug 31, 2006, 06:34 PM
I personally do not think that a battery will remedy anything.

My TiBook had its fan spoll up and make a fair amount of noise, but I'm unsure how it is compared to yours. It seems like TiBook fans are either off or full blast...at least w/ mine.

Perhaps a temperature sensor in yours is not working properly...in addition to a plain-old noisy fan. I have not heard of anyone getting replacement fans and doing it themselves, but I'm sure its possible.

My...limited...two cents.:)

hubristol
Sep 1, 2006, 12:54 AM
after extensively using it, my ACTUAL fan kicked on...I guess the loud noise that I thought was the fan was actually my hard drive, which is a good thing I guess since it's more easily replacable...