PDA

View Full Version : New iPods coming? Major retailers slash iPod prices up to 80...

MacBytes
Aug 31, 2006, 10:53 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: New iPods coming? Major retailers slash iPod prices up to 80%. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060831235322)
Description:: Major Australian computer retailers Harvey Norman and Next Byte are advertising heavy discounts on current-model iPods, indicating that a new iPod release may be imminent.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Chundles
Aug 31, 2006, 11:00 PM
Wow, Hardly Normal having a sale on iPods? I'm sold - new models definitely coming.

mmmcheese
Aug 31, 2006, 11:03 PM
Wow, Hardly Normal having a sale on iPods? I'm sold - new models definitely coming.

I wouldn't trust fast service from a website who still hasn't gotten around to updating their website:

Thursday, 31st August 106

jericho53
Aug 31, 2006, 11:16 PM
Don't believe the hype. One of the sites advertised "Up to 80% off ipods AND ACCESSORIES.:rolleyes:

Chundles
Aug 31, 2006, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't trust fast service from a website who still hasn't gotten around to updating their website:

Well, the 106 is right (we're a very young country remember) but it's 1/9/06 here today. Lazy buggers.

richdun
Aug 31, 2006, 11:31 PM
Well, the 106 is right (we're a very young country remember) but it's 1/9/06 here today. Lazy buggers.

1/9? Geez, you might be a young country, but you're about 8 months behind (or ahead, depending on which side of the mm/dd dd/mm debate you're on) - it's almost 9/1 here in the States!

Chundles
Aug 31, 2006, 11:32 PM
1/9? Geez, you might be a young country, but you're about 8 months behind (or ahead, depending on which side of the mm/dd dd/mm debate you're on) - it's almost 9/1 here in the States!

dd/mm/yy

First of September, not "September First."

Duujo
Aug 31, 2006, 11:53 PM
Here here Rob Sitch!

(your avatar looks like him anyway..)

Chundles
Aug 31, 2006, 11:57 PM
Here here Rob Sitch!

(your avatar looks like him anyway..)

Because it is Rob Sitch. Champagne Sketch Comedy!!

If that means nothing to you, I shake my head and mutter. How quickly we forget the greatest aussie sketch comedy show of our age. The Late Show rules!!

Compatiblepoker
Sep 1, 2006, 12:40 AM

Id have to agree on that one.

Dunepilot
Sep 1, 2006, 05:28 AM
It looks like the reduction is on shuffles only. Non-story.

Yvan256
Sep 1, 2006, 07:58 AM

In ISO international format, that's 2001-09-06... That's september 6, 2001. ;)

weckart
Sep 1, 2006, 09:43 AM
There are some bargains to be had at the lower end in the UK. Asda has cut the cost of the 512MB Shuffle to 29, which is less than the refurb price. The Tesco near my parents regularly sells Shuffle accessories at stupid prices: Last time I visted a few weeks ago they had the Shuffle dock and sportcase (Apple brand and brand new) for 97p with the sport strap at just under a fiver, and these were not mispriced.

jettredmont
Sep 1, 2006, 02:07 PM
Apple retailer Next Byte sent out a newsletter to customers, offering up to 80% off its entire range of iPods, this Saturday only.

Which, of course, completely belies the image of that "newsletter" next to it, which reads in part:

Up to 80% OFF iPod and accessories!

Key words: "up to" and "and accessories".

Learn to read sales ads, 101: when there is an "up to" qualifier, and a group of items claimed, it is almost 100% assured that precisely one (1) item in that group carries the mentioned discount/pormotion, and the other items all carry a much less significant discount/promotion. More than one singular item may carry the discount, roughly inversely proportionate to the capacity of the promoter to calm angry crowds shouting "false advertising" while carrying torches. However, the largest-ticket items in the group will always have less discount on them than the small-ticket items, as the promoter would advertise a large discount on a high-ticket item directly (not in a group using "up to") to get the most interest from the discount.

Example 1: "By answering our survey today, you will be entered into a drawing where you will have a 1/4 chance of winning a complementary day at the spa, a trip to Maui, or a 5% off coupon for Linens and Things". You have approximately a 1 in 4 chance of getting 5% off at Linens and Things. You have a 1/1,000,000 chance of getting either of the more desirable/expensive for the promoter prizes.

Example 2: "All electronics on sale up to 75% off!" At least one electronic item is on sale at a quarter of its original price; all others are at least 1% different from their usual prices, but not likely heavily discounted.

Example 3: "Up to 95% off all new cars and bubble gum!" It's not likely that the new cars are 95% off; it is more likely that the bubble gum is 95% off and the new cars are only insubstantially discounted. If the cars were even 10% off, that would warrant a discreet ad claim.

In other words, the Next Byte deal looks to be completely (or near-completely) useless. Confirmed in the article comments: 5% off iPods, 80% off some accessories. IMHO, this is a really egregious use of marketing weasel words ("up to 80%" => 5% off ... see torch-carrying mob), the kind that would force me to swear off shopping at that store, if only I knew where that store was or ever had shopped there in the past or had a chance of shopping there in the future.

On to the more substantial claim: Harvey Norman offering 30% off the lowest-end iPod (512 MB Shuffle).

[Edit: Actually, the article appears to be in error there too. They claim 30% off because $67 is over 30% off the original 512MB price of $99. But, 512MB price is currently $69, so $67 is ... umm, just under 3% off. Unless they are talking in Aussie prices, which may be quite different from US prices, of course. The retailer is still making margin on the sale, so this is hardly something to note either. Sigh.

Rest of my post left in only for historical purposes :) ]

While this is a bit unusual (Apple seems to have a pretty solid grip on the "sale price" of iPods), it isn't overly surprising to see the lowest-end electronics which are quite well oversold by other low-end players be discounted heavily. This may signal a shift in market focus, an impending product revamp, or just an over-aggressive retailer who needs to get rid of stock clogging up their warehouse so that they can get rid of this item.

Remember, though, Apple isn't your average supplier, and does not alert retailers to impending product roadmap revisions/etc. Which makes it suck to be an Apple retailer, of course. However, Apple makes up for it by taking "back" overstocked out-of-date items after a product refresh. [edit: for clarity, I don't mean Apple has a no-risk retail policy, just that what Apple will take the items back for is generally at or above the fire-sale prices the reseller would use to get rid of excess inventory] What this means to me is that it is highly unlikely that Apple has told this one retailer that they should start liquidating low-end Shuffles for any reason. That leaves the possibilities of the retailer reading the tea leaves on their own (the same ones you and I have to read, by the way) and concluding they should get rid of their excess 512MB inventory, or the retailer just deciding that they don't want to carry the low-selling ultra-low-end product any more.

Neither of which options, by definition, means anything about what might or might not be announced Sept 12 (which, btw, is 2006-09-12, you cretins!)

So, all in all, a whole lotta nothing!