PDA

View Full Version : Dropped My iBook.......Its Dead..........

liveexpo
Sep 1, 2006, 08:22 AM
Ok guys, need some help here...

My iBook just fell of the table, and now refuses to power up. Never again will i say the magSafe is pointless.......

I (was) running a 800mhz, 640mb G3 iBook, 10.3.9, bought in 2003. The laptop landed on a connected usb cord, which has damaged the usb socket, with the white plastic bit inside the port now broken off, leaving exposed connectors..

The laptop did power up initially after the fall, but upon connecting another usb into the remaining usb port,the iBook's fans came on, louder and faster than ive ever heard, before dieing...........

Anyone got any ideas? I simply cannot afford a MacBook right now, and had just upgraded the RAM and OS (10.2.8 - 10.3.9) so that it would last me another year......

Gutted......just gutted. Spare a thought, I'm now typing on my brothers Toshiba :( :eek: :mad:

Spanky Deluxe
Sep 1, 2006, 08:41 AM
Do you have home insurance?

liveexpo
Sep 1, 2006, 08:45 AM
We do yeah, but we recently had to claim for a flooded kitchin, so i dont know how easy it would be to get anything out of them...plus our premiums would shoot up......:(

mduser63
Sep 1, 2006, 10:54 AM
It'll probably be an expensive repair (logic board replacement), so I'd say it's unfortunate, but it's time for a new computer. A MacBook would be a nice upgrade, and 3 years out of a laptop is not bad at all.

ckeck
Sep 1, 2006, 11:20 AM
We do yeah, but we recently had to claim for a flooded kitchin, so i dont know how easy it would be to get anything out of them...plus our premiums would shoot up......:(

I could forsee a slight increase in premiums, but I don't see them "shooting" up...especially for such a small claim. I have done this before for one of my laptops and my premium didn't go up at all (luckly).

liveexpo
Sep 1, 2006, 12:10 PM
yeah, its served me very well over the three years. Its even more bitter, as 10 mins before the fatal fall, i was saying (whilst browsing macrumors) how it's still good for at least another year, its been that reliable.......

Just scary being in nearly £20,000 of debt, when adding student loans......eek!

I think im gonna buy a MacBook........(which, although its an unforeseen expensive, is damn exciting!), so anyone know where is the best place to buy a 120gb hdd upgrade in the UK?

abbottpc.com
Sep 1, 2006, 02:44 PM
I could forsee a slight increase in premiums, but I don't see them "shooting" up...especially for such a small claim. I have done this before for one of my laptops and my premium didn't go up at all (luckly).

It's not worth claiming that little on your insurance policy. I don't know what the deductible is but he probably wouldn’t get that much back. His insurance would go up too; especially when he just filled a claim for his kitchen. I know when our hot water tank burst, we filled a claim to get new carpet and our insurance went up.

Xander562
Sep 1, 2006, 03:23 PM
my greatest sympathies toward you and your iBook :(

crazycat
Sep 1, 2006, 03:58 PM
Thats sucks, i think you should fix it yourself and maybe sell it on ebay or something. Get a few bucks back and put it towards your new macbook.

pink-pony115
Sep 2, 2006, 02:39 PM
Sorry...The Apple store can help with repair problems. :(

Sorry...That your working on a tosiba

Sun Baked
Sep 2, 2006, 03:10 PM
It's not worth claiming that little on your insurance policy. I don't know what the deductible is but he probably wouldn’t get that much back. His insurance would go up too; especially when he just filled a claim for his kitchen. I know when our hot water tank burst, we filled a claim to get new carpet and our insurance went up.Probably right about it not being worth it.

It likely all gets entered on your CLUE Report: claims, inquiries, payments, losses, etc. and can whack you -- even the previous owner of the home can whack you.

If it is a homeowner's policy, such small damage claims can kill you when renewal time comes.

Edit: If it is a broken USB port grounding out and keeping the machine from booting. You might think of disabling the port physically -- probably only need to spend a few bucks to do it, or less.

California
Sep 2, 2006, 03:16 PM
Oh, check around. You can pick up a new logic board for not too much on eBay. I happen to know that you can drop a 1ghz logic board into the 800mhz ibook chassis so think of it as an upgrade. You cannot put a 1.2 or 1.33ghz boarfd into it, though.

Love those iBooks. I had a 1ghz, a 1.2, a 1.33 12" and a 1.2. 1.33 and 1.42ghz 14" and wish I still could afford to have one.