PDA

View Full Version : 23-inch iMac on September 12th?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Sep 1, 2006, 11:35 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Reports that Apple will be hosting a special media event on September 12th began emerging yesterday (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060831122800.shtml). According to multiple reports, Apple will be hosting the event in San Francisco which will be also streamed live to London.

MacOSXRumors now claims (http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles/2006/09/01/23-inch-imac-coming-on-september-the-12th/) that Apple will be revamping the iMac line with the new Core 2 Duo (Merom) processor at this event, with the additional introduction of a 23" iMac.

Larger iMac form-factor rumors were amongst the reject rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060805230811.shtml) for pre-WWDC rumors. MacOSXRumors, however, cites "reliable sources" for this report and did have some accurate predictions (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060805162310.shtml) for Leopard (virtual desktops, tabbed iChat).

luminosity
Sep 1, 2006, 11:37 AM
wow. would that be the biggest mainstream desktop around?

Tommyg117
Sep 1, 2006, 11:38 AM
I think so, sounds amazing. Makes my 20 seem puny!

macenforcer
Bring on the 30" imac.

matttrick
gah i love how mention of the merom rumor has to be thrown into every other rumor :(

DavidLeblond
That would certainly change my mind about getting a 20" iMac. ;)

EDIT: Anyone care to speculate on prices?

BenRoethig
Sep 1, 2006, 11:40 AM
How reliable is MacOSXrumors?

CrackedButter
Its about time, I mentioned this when the G5 iMacs came out, its obvious that this is going to happen, its a natural development of the iMac line. The evidence was there when the Cinema Displays were announced, the monitor support could clearly take a few heavier weight.

Its good news though, if only to save money. Also...

You heard it here first, come on 30" iMac!

BenRoethig
Biggest, yes. Mainstream, not even close.

BlizzardBomb
Sep 1, 2006, 11:42 AM
That would certainly change my mind about getting a 20" iMac. ;)

EDIT: Anyone care to speculate on prices?

No more than $2,499/ 1,799. With the amount of internal room you would get behind a 23" monitor, Apple would have no problem putting in 4 RAM slots and a fast GPU (but I doubt Apple would do a fast GPU anyway).

woodman
Sep 1, 2006, 11:43 AM
So are the MacBooks going to get Merom or not? I'm going to buy a black one, but am waiting to see.

Peace
Sep 1, 2006, 11:44 AM
With speculation that Apple will be switching to NVidia I wonder if this 23" will have the new NVidia with HDMI support ?

Chris Bangle
Sep 1, 2006, 11:45 AM
all i wont is a touch screen ipod, im not buying a mac till january. But a 30 inch imac would be amazing.. 23 inch will do though.

Tymmz
Sep 1, 2006, 11:45 AM
hopefully it's going to look like this:

majorp
Sep 1, 2006, 11:46 AM
i wonder if it will lose its chin?! ^^^^^^ yes...precisely

CaptainCaveMann
I think this rumor should be taken with a grain of salt. It seems highly unlikely a 23 inch imac would emerge (or even should emerge). On top of that a bigger imac with Merom? Makes no sense, a bigger imac should have Conroe. ;)

BlizzardBomb
You heard it here first, come on 30" iMac!

Heard it there first eh? Look at post 4 :p

I'm wondering if Apple would kill off the 17" if they did introduce a 23". I'm pretty sure now that the manufacturing cost difference between 17" and 20" is quite small.

fall3n
Sep 1, 2006, 11:47 AM
i hope this drops the 20" price even more. Now I have to figure out if I want to spend the extra for the 23 or stay with what i was going to get the 20.....ooooooh decisions, decisions.

prady16
Sep 1, 2006, 11:47 AM
Wow......Time for replacing my desktop!

Tymmz
Sep 1, 2006, 11:50 AM
I'm wondering if Apple would kill off the 17" if they did introduce a 23". I'm pretty sure now that the manufacturing cost difference between 17" and 20" is quite small.

i find 17'' way to small for a desktop computer.

arn
Sep 1, 2006, 11:50 AM
How reliable is MacOSXrumors?

In the past they haven't been particularly notable, but the Leopard reports seemed real, and so this one is given more credence. Obviously, we'll know more on Sept 12th. :)

arn

BlizzardBomb
Sep 1, 2006, 11:52 AM
i find 17'' way to small for a desktop computer.

You what? Well I guess its a matter of opinion but a 17" with a decent resolution is plenty! Heck, I even know people who use a 15" MBP as a desktop replacement. :)

fall3n
Sep 1, 2006, 11:52 AM

I highly doubt they would killl it off. I think they'd drop the price on it which would make it even more desirable for standard consumers with a budget. Sort of a, why get the mini when I could just pay a bit more for the iMac 17" kind of thing.

Doenertier
Sep 1, 2006, 11:54 AM
No more than $2,499/ 1,799. With the amount of internal room you would get behind a 23" monitor, Apple would have no problem putting in 4 RAM slots and a fast GPU (but I doubt Apple would do a fast GPU anyway).

My guess: 17" dropping to $1,099, 20" to $1,499

$1,999 with more hd, a gig of ram and, hopefully, (i do doubt it though as well) a nice gpu (at least as bto, unlikely though for the imac).

I'd order one right away! :cool:

xPismo
Sep 1, 2006, 11:54 AM
Wow. That would be great news. I'd think about one of those instead of a mac pro.... please make it have fw800. Then I really would take it over a pro.

TangoCharlie
Sep 1, 2006, 11:55 AM
So are the MacBooks going to get Merom or not? I'm going to buy a black one, but am waiting to see.
The answer is yes and no. Yes, the MacBook will get a Merom based CPU, but not for a while... the MacBook Pro and iMacs will get Merom first.....

I think we should expect to see Merom based MacBooks in time for Christmas.
:)

21stcenturykid
Sep 1, 2006, 11:55 AM

That would be sexual!!!!:p

m2uk
Sep 1, 2006, 11:57 AM
Whatever, PLEASE PLEASE more than 2gb limit ! I am waiting for a new Imac (have my 20" intel Imac from my studio room presently in my office after selling my G5 and have been holding on for the post WWDC launch window... really don't want to wait until net year and the PowerMac replacements will be too noisy.

BlizzardBomb
Sep 1, 2006, 11:58 AM
My guess: 17" dropping to $1,099, 20" to $1,499

$1,999 with more hd, a gig of ram and, hopefully, (i do doubt it though as well) a nice gpu (at least as bto, unlikely though for the imac).

I'd order one right away! :cool:

$1,999 is pushing it a bit IMO. :)

I highly doubt they would killl it off. I think they'd drop the price on it which would make it even more desirable for standard consumers with a budget. Sort of a, why get the mini when I could just pay a bit more for the iMac 17" kind of thing.

Good point, although the suffocating the Mini would be a problem. If the updated Mini is decent enough it should be able to survive though.

savar
Sep 1, 2006, 11:58 AM
MacOSXRumors now claims (http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles/2006/09/01/23-inch-imac-coming-on-september-the-12th/) that Apple will be revamping the iMac line with the new Core 2 Duo (Merom) processor at this event, with the additional introduction of a 23" iMac.

Nooo! I kept telling myself I would upgrade my 6 year-old broken down G4 when they finally made an iMac with a bigger screen, thinking it would never happen. Why did Apple have to go and do this before I have the money saved up for it?

Edit: Do you all think that this will mean less of that "chin" that the iMac has now? And/or thinner? That would be pretty slick.

daneoni
Sep 1, 2006, 11:59 AM
I guess they plan to put the 2.93GHz Core 2 Extreme or 2.66GHz processor in it. IF they make the display height adjustable...i might consider it. Otherwise the MacPro remains the slated candidate for my desktop needs

TangoCharlie
Sep 1, 2006, 11:59 AM
Wow. That would be great news. I'd think about one of those instead of a mac pro.... please make it have fw800. Then I really would take it over a pro.
That's exactly why Apple differentiates its product lines. They want you to fork out for a Pro :)
Equally, they DON'T want you to buy a Dell..... which is why I think they will introduce a "desktop" Mac.... But hey, it might not come with FW800 :(

tkidBOSTON
Sep 1, 2006, 12:01 PM
I think this would be great if you could wall mount it and use it as a TV/ Media Center. I dont know if I'd like anything larger than my current 20" iMac sitting on a desk 2 ft from my face.

Just my $0.02.

whoooaaahhhh
Sep 1, 2006, 12:02 PM
I think this rumor should be taken with a grain of salt. It seems highly unlikely a 23 inch imac would emerge (or even should emerge). ;)

I couldn't disagree with you more.

This size represents the iMac that can display Full resolution 1080p HD content. If they introduce this and then eventually throw a Blu-ray in there they've got the killer combination. Front Row is already setup to be a home-theatre replacement. I mean come on, it's basically an HDTV...it's 1080p, it's got a remote, and it's got front row... This will sell like crack... Digital crack...

berkleeboy210
Sep 1, 2006, 12:03 PM
just checked the apple store... currently 1-2 business day shipping time for the iMac.

this could mean updates on 9/5.....

MBP's still ship w/ in 24hrs though.

iKwick7
If this does come out, looks like I'll be selling my Macbook. :)

TangoCharlie
I guess they plan to put the 2.93GHz Core 2 Extreme or 2.66GHz processor in it. IF they make the display height adjustable...i might consider it. Otherwise the MacPro remains the slated candidate for my desktop needs
No. They plan to stick in the 2, 2.16 and 2.33 GHz Merom CPU's in it.
But I agree... it does need a height adjustable stand.

syklee26
Sep 1, 2006, 12:04 PM
i don't think this rumor will come out to be true because this might take a lot of people from getting Mac Pro, unless this iMac comes out to be north of $2500, at which point nobody will buy this.

HecubusPro
If true, this is simply great news all around. The potential for updates, new additions to existing computer lines, iPods, iSight, etc. Was there ever a time where so much was happening in such a short span of time for Apple? I'm sure there was, but this is pretty impressive.

I almost want to drop my plans to get a C2D MBP and get a 23" iMac. Almost.:)

zap2
i Doubt it..a 23'' seems like its really stepping into "Pro" Computer area..

bluewire
man have i been waiting for this one. the 12th would be great, have a shot at the iPod offer too. W00T

TangoCharlie
Sep 1, 2006, 12:05 PM

This size represents the iMac that can display Full resolution 1080p HD content. If they introduce this and then eventually throw a Blu-ray in there they've got the killer combination. Front Row is already setup to be a home-theatre replacement. I mean come on, it's basically an HDTV...it's 1080p, it's got a remote, and it's got front row... This will sell like crack... Digital crack...

I think you're absolutely right!! They need to stick in a couple of digial tuners in it too tho.....

zwida
Sep 1, 2006, 12:07 PM
Not that this matters one whit, but I think I might have to buy one of those.

Object-X
Sep 1, 2006, 12:08 PM

I agree, I want an iMac like computer with the aluminum housing; looks better on my desk! ;)

At any rate, hopefully the form factor will be thinner. I can see the 17" eventually being relegated to eMac status.

vansouza
Sep 1, 2006, 12:09 PM
Just how I feel about just what I have been waiting for... let it be...

Chris Bangle
Sep 1, 2006, 12:10 PM
Why not make a 30inch macbook pro.:cool: how hard can it be.

vand0576
Sep 1, 2006, 12:11 PM
Thank God I cannot already afford the 20", and am on my way to saving up enough for this kind of equipment.

freebooter
Sep 1, 2006, 12:13 PM
Call the 23" iMac Pro, paint it black, give it a glossy screen, charge 30% more, awright!! The prestige!!

Joking.

I think a 23" iMac would be close in price to a standard MacPro tower...it would make my next upgrade a tougher decision than otherwise would be the case. I'd probably go for the 23 if she had 4GB ram (easily acquirable ram) potential and a decent GPU. God! I'd have a 19" + 23" setup!! Holy Mother of Jesus!! I think I just soiled myself.

Oh, I think disposing of the chin would be desirable and might be possible.

BlizzardBomb
Sep 1, 2006, 12:15 PM
Oh, I think disposing of the chin would be desirable and might be possible.

Getting rid of the chin would require an external power supply like the ACDs unless you want a power supply sized blank space on the screen :p

mduser63
Sep 1, 2006, 12:17 PM
AppleInsider is also now reporting (http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2011) there will be a 23" iMac released.

freebooter
Getting rid of the chin would require an external power supply like the ACDs unless you want a power supply sized blank space on the screen :pI don't have any problem with a power supply lurking out of sight on the floor. Why have one heating up the inside of the computer?

4God
I dunno, I think Apple would include support for a dual link dvi with upgraded graphics card so you could attach a 30" Apple Cinema display. I think this would happen before introducing a 23" iMac IMHO.

Edge100
Sep 1, 2006, 12:18 PM
I think so, sounds amazing. Makes my 20 seem puny!

Mine's bigger than yours!! :)

vand0576
Sep 1, 2006, 12:18 PM
man have i been waiting for this one. the 12th would be great, have a shot at the iPod offer too. W00T

You KNOW iPod updates are imminent, why the hell would you care about this deal, for a soon-to-be replaced product?

m-dogg
Sep 1, 2006, 12:19 PM
Hmph...I don't really trust masOSXrumors at all, even if they were correct on a couple things for Leopard, I think those were more just lucky guesses that lots of people were speaking upon prior to WWDC...

23" would be sweet though. I love my 20" iMac, so I can only imagine that with 3 more inches to love!

Maybe they'll just bring out the 30" Anniversary iMac with Jobs saying "Did you really think we'd just ignore our 30th this year?" Then again, maybe not.

bketchum
Sep 1, 2006, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by BlizzardBomb

And the 17-inch iMac has an important educational role, taking the place of the eMac.

drlunanerd
Sep 1, 2006, 12:20 PM
I wonder if it'll use the same poor quality 23" panel that the ACD does.
Well, if you like everything rose-tinted it's OK :p

Evangelion
Sep 1, 2006, 12:21 PM
i don't think this rumor will come out to be true because this might take a lot of people from getting Mac Pro

so what?*What makes you think that Apple would be earning any less by selling 23" iMacs than Mac Pro's?*It doesn't really matter to Apple that do they earn X million dollars selling Mac Pro's or iMacs, as lomg as they do earn money.

As to this being a home-theater setup... sorry, not gonna fly. While 23" is a big size for a monitor, it's still a lot less than the 32 - 42" televisions people have.

nagromme
Sep 1, 2006, 12:22 PM
Getting rid of the chin would require an external power supply like the ACDs unless you want a power supply sized blank space on the screen :p
Not to mention, lots of displays (not even computers!) have had a big space below the screen. But I guess because they put VISIBLE speaker grilles and cluttery lines down there, it's OK :)

vand0576
Sep 1, 2006, 12:22 PM
I'd really like to see that extra space house more USB ports and PCI slots, or even a eSATA port to make add on HDD space perform like it were right on the motherboard.

BlizzardBomb
Sep 1, 2006, 12:23 PM
Hmph...I don't really trust masOSXrumors at all...

You can trust AppleInsider though and they too have said 23" and Merom iMacs. Looks like pretty solid evidence now but we'll have to wait and see.

I wonder if it'll use the same poor quality 23" panel that the ACD does.
Well, if you like everything rose-tinted it's OK :p

New 23" displays do not have the pink tint.

bunkre
Sep 1, 2006, 12:23 PM
...so I can only imagine that with 3 more inches to love!

quote of the year right there

hdsalinas
Sep 1, 2006, 12:25 PM
I am planning on getting a mac for Christmas as a "you were a good boy this year" present to myself.

My budget only allowed for a core duo mac mini. I then realized that for my needs I needed some thing with more meat so I had to renegotiate my budget with my wife and she finally agree to get an Imac 17".

But then when I saw the 17", the screen actually looked smaller than my current 17" LCD, so after weeks of negotiating I managed to convince her on getting a imac 20".

So I have been waiting patiently for the release of the new C2D chips to get one, until this new rumor of a 23" imac. :eek: I just hope they drop the 17" model, offer the imac 20 @ $1333 and sell the new imac 23" for $1700.

if not, how am I supposed to convice my wife this time?:D

roland.g
Sep 1, 2006, 12:27 PM
Maybe this is Apple's answer to all the clamour for a miditower. a 23" iMac give you more screen real estate, still can do 2nd monitor, built in iSight which ACDs don't yet offer, if they up the RAM capacity to 4GB, give 3 GPU options and find a way to squeeze in a 2nd HDD, then you will never see a miditower. They won't need to offer it.

freebooter
Sep 1, 2006, 12:27 PM
I love my 20" iMac, so I can only imagine that with 3 more inches to love!

I detect some "latent tendecies."

T'hain Esh Kelch
Sep 1, 2006, 12:28 PM
Apple legal taking action? Macosxrumors.com down now..

Edge100
Sep 1, 2006, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure about this one. It will depend on how agressively Apple prices these.

I have a 20" iMac, and with my edu discount (at the time), I paid about $2500 (Canadian) for it with 2GB RAM (from Apple...was cheaper than anywhere else, believe it or not!), 256MB VRAM, and a 250GB HD.

For about $350-450, I can get a decent (not great, but decent) 20" widescreen display and hook it up to my iMac, giving me 3360 x 1050 resolution, which is plenty wide enough to display 36+ faders in Logic, plus some other apps (Live, Reason) that I use with it. A 23" display would only give me 1920 x 1200.

The point is: depending on how Apple prices it, I can get the 20" plus an external monitor and get more space for less money.

I can see this working if (a) the 23" isn't substantially more expensive than the 20" AND (b) there are a few other things (i.e. bigger HD, more RAM, faster/better vid card) to distinguish the machines. This is the precise reason I didn't get the 500GB drive in my iMac...I went up to 250, but I could make up the additional 250GB over Firewire for a lot less.

Either way, these should be sweet. I love my iMac (it does EVERYTHING I need today) and I don't anticipate upgrading for a number of years (well, maybe I'll slap in a Merom after the Applecare expires!)

Anyway, just my two cents.

p0intblank
Sep 1, 2006, 12:29 PM
A 23-inch iMac seems like it would be too large for me, unless they change the form factor. Like someone posted above, it'd be great if they fit everything into a 23-inch Cinema Display-like form. If Apple did that, I would be very interested in getting one.

HecubusPro
AppleInsider is also now reporting (http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2011) there will be a 23" iMac released.

Now Appleinsider I do have more faith in. Looks like Conroe is being left behind.

Edge100

It seems you can convince her of almost anything ;)

poppe
Sep 1, 2006, 12:30 PM
My Guess:

iMac 17" - 1299
1.83 GHz
512MB RAM
160 SATA
8x DL
ATI x1600 - 128

iMac 20" - 1699
2.0 GHz upgradable to 2.16
512MB RAM
250 SATA
8x DL
ATI x1600 128 upgradable to 256 (As is already)

iMac 23": 1900 x 1200 - 1999
2.16 GHz upgradable to 2.33
1 GB Standard
250 SATA upgradable to 500 (as 17" and 20" is)
8x DL
ATI x1600 256
FW 800
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't say upgradable on 17" and 20" hard drives because we already know that.

In a dream world I'd say the 23" vCard would go to the x1800 or something

bketchum
Sep 1, 2006, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMann
I think this rumor should be taken with a grain of salt. It seems highly unlikely a 23 inch imac would emerge (or even should emerge).

I agree. If this rumor is true, this will be my next computer. I'm shopping for an LCD TV and a computer. A 23-inch iMac would cover both for me nicely. Fingers crossed.

freebooter
Sep 1, 2006, 12:32 PM

Tell her about the extra three inches to "love".

syklee26
Sep 1, 2006, 12:33 PM
apparently appleinsider thinks same about 23inch one too.

maybe it is coming afterall. should make WoW even more fun to play.

applekid
Sep 1, 2006, 12:34 PM
Man, if they can fit something better than a ATI Radeon X1600 XT or whatever nVidia equivalent, that would be awesome.

If they do release a 23-inch iMac, I'm wondering if that's big enough for more user upgrades. Processor replacements, adding a PCI or replacing a GPU, etc. I mean, if there's space for it, I would certainly like an all-in-one iMac that has upgradable features that make it almost Mac Pro like. The only damper on the non-Mac Pro desktops and laptops is your upgrade paths are limited.

epicwelshman
Sep 1, 2006, 12:36 PM
You KNOW iPod updates are imminent, why the hell would you care about this deal, for a soon-to-be replaced product?

Probably because it's FREE.

poppe
Sep 1, 2006, 12:37 PM
Man, if they can fit something better than a ATI Radeon X1600 XT or whatever nVidia equivalent, that would be awesome.

If they do release a 23-inch iMac, I'm wondering if that's big enough for more user upgrades. Processor replacements, adding a PCI or replacing a GPU, etc. I mean, if there's space for it, I would certainly like an all-in-one iMac that has upgradable features that make it almost Mac Pro like. The only damper on the non-Mac Pro desktops and laptops is your upgrade paths are limited.

I don't think they'll ever make the iMac very upgradable. While iMac and Mac Pro users tend to be a different type, I still think if they leave to much room for the iMac to grow at a bargain, then there will be no reason for a Mac Pro.

Cygnus311
Sep 1, 2006, 12:38 PM

A 23" home theater screen? Umm.......

syklee26
hopefully this 23 inch one adds something more than just a bigger screen....such as component RGB input which would allow me to hook my my xbox 360 to play. that would RULE.

of course, that is unlikely.

does anyone actually know how to use iMac screen to play xbox 360?

hdsalinas
My Guess:

iMac 17" - 1299
1.83 GHz
512MB RAM
160 SATA
8x DL
ATI x1600 - 128

iMac 20" - 1699
512MB RAM
250 SATA
8x DL

1 GB Standard
8x DL
ATI x1600 256
FW 800

I didn't say upgradable on 17" and 20" hard drives because we already know that.

I think that your predection is very realistic. I would think that if they do introduced this model they would at least drop $100 off the price of the current models

Now with those specs, the imac 23 should be called the "Imac Pro"

Multimedia
Sep 1, 2006, 12:41 PM
Bring on the 30" imac.Make that a Dual Link DVI Port so you can span with an external 30" display. #1 Reason there's a pressing need for the 23" is because it can display HDTV in native 1920 x 1080 format. This makes the iMac a legitimate TV with the addition of a simple $150 EyeTV hybrid Analog-Digital-SD-HD tuner.

I am predicting the new C2D iMac will have a complete redesign-makeover and look totally different than it does now.

This will be a design they can live with for another 2 years until the end of analog television in January 2009.hopefully this 23 inch one adds something more than just a bigger screen....such as component RGB input which would allow me to hook my my xbox 360 to play. that would RULE.

does anyone actually know how to use iMac screen to play xbox 360?I agree. The Dell 24" - same Samsung screen - has all three types of analog video inputs. Helps using the display for HDV recordings.

BlizzardBomb
Sep 1, 2006, 12:41 PM
My Guess:

iMac 17" - 1299
1.83 GHz
512MB RAM
160 SATA
8x DL
ATI x1600 - 128

iMac 20" - 1699
512MB RAM
250 SATA
8x DL

1 GB Standard
8x DL
ATI x1600 256
FW 800

Hmm... the problem with that line-up is that when consumers see the shiny new advert saying "Meet the new iMacs" they'll look at the clock speeds and say "What new iMacs?". I think it would be reasonable for Apple to offer...

17" iMac - $1,199 - 2 GHz, X1650 Pro 128 MB
20" iMac - $1,599 - 2.16 GHz, X1650 Pro 256 MB
23" iMac - $2,099 - 2.33 GHz, X1650 Pro 256 MB

poppe
Sep 1, 2006, 12:43 PM
hopefully this 23 inch one adds something more than just a bigger screen....such as component RGB input which would allow me to hook my my xbox 360 to play. that would RULE.

I doubt this will ever happen until they come out with ACD that have component or composite.

I've heard alot of people ask about the 360 being hooked up to it, but what i've heard it wont work with out lagging. I wanted to hook up my gCube and soon to be Wii to my MBP with the elegato(or what ever its called) but all I heard was lag stories....

bob_hearn
MacOSXrumors??? There is, if anything, negative correlation between their predictions and reality.

What Apple had damn well BETTER announce then is Merom MacBook Pros. It's inexplicable that they have not done so already.

2ndPath
i don't think this rumor will come out to be true because this might take a lot of people from getting Mac Pro, unless this iMac comes out to be north of $2500, at which point nobody will buy this.

I don't think an iMac with a larger Display is a competition for a Mac Pro. The biggest advantages of the Mac Pro are the expandability and the CPUs, which both put it into a completely different class than any iMac.

QCassidy352
Sep 1, 2006, 12:45 PM
nooooo, not merom!! Give the imac the conroe processor it deserves!! It's a desktop, and if it could handle a G5 it can handle a conroe. :(

But the 23" idea is very cool. :D

poppe
Sep 1, 2006, 12:46 PM
Hmm... the problem with that line-up is that when consumers see the shiny new advert saying "Meet the new iMacs" they'll look at the clock speeds and say "What new iMacs?". I think it would be reasonable for Apple to offer...

20" iMac - $1,699 - 2.16 GHz, X1650 Pro 256 MB
23" iMac - $2,199 - 2.33 GHz, X1650 Pro 256 MB

If the Mac Mini and the MB would have stayed under 500 and 1000 repsectively then I would have said you are so wrong, but because they didn't I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with one just above 1999.

gugy
Sep 1, 2006, 12:47 PM
23" Imac is a great size. Add HD resolution then that's great.
I would love to see dual display support. But I highly doubt they will allow it. Apple wants to make sure there is a distinction between their consumer and pro line. It would be cool to have the Imac 23" with a 23" Cinema display next to it.

VeganBryan
if this turns out to be true, here's my prediction on the pricing:

17" is stripped down and relegated to "emac" status and sells at a $999 price point

20" sells for $1299 or $1399

23" sells for $1699 or MAYBE $1799 at the most

Edge100

No way would I pay an extra $500 for an 8% faster machine and a slighly larger display, when for that money I can go with the 20" and buy a second widescreen 20" display and have a HUGE viewable area.

The 23" is going to have to be a LOT closer to the 20" in order for it to sell. I'm thinking $1899 or $1999, or else it will have to be decked out with extra RAM, HD space, or CPU speed.

roland.g
Sep 1, 2006, 12:48 PM
17" iMac - EDU only or $1099
20" iMac - 2.16 $1,499
23" iMac - 2.33 $1,799 or $1,899 no way they put a $1,999 or higher price tag on an iMac, not even if they call it iMac Pro

roland.g
Sep 1, 2006, 12:49 PM
I would love to see dual display support. But I highly doubt they will allow it. Apple wants to make sure there is a distinction between their consumer and pro line. It would be cool to have the Imac 23" with a 23" Cinema display next to it.

You can already do that. The current iMacs support dual display, just not the 30"

sunfast
Sep 1, 2006, 12:52 PM
A 23" iMac would be awesome. I hope it would have the extra grunt to match its size. :)

quadgirl
Sep 1, 2006, 12:54 PM
Most of the posts in this thread are about the 23" screen. Yes, I think it will happen to allow the imac to play 1080i/1080p HD.

But, how about the processors? Apple needs to have a Core 2 (Conroe not Merom) inside the imac. The imac is not a conventionally size desktop (not as much room inside as a tower) but Apple can not continue to use a laptop processor in the imac. If they do, then how will the Conroe be used in Apple's line up? In a Mac tower? I don't think so. Surely, a 23" iMac could house the Conroe suitably?

So I would say that the 23" iMac would kill 2 birds - Conroe and HD for the home user. :)

iJawn108
20 is fine, just make it higher res.

the current 20inch imac has the same picture quality of the 17 inch mbp like common. if I have 20 inches of room i'd like to at least watch Full 1080 HD video playback.

Multimedia
I would love to see dual display support. But I highly doubt they will allow it. Apple wants to make sure there is a distinction between their consumer and pro line. It would be cool to have the Imac 23" with a 23" Cinema display next to it.You must have been asleep for the past 8 months. Since the January Intel iMacs, they already have spaning support up to the 23" 1920x1200 external displays. The advance we need is DUAL-DVI so they can span to $2k 30" displays Apple would love to sell more of.

gugy
You can already do that. The current iMacs support dual display, just not the 30"

Really? I heard that you can connect and external monitor using a hack software for dual screen support . But it does not support the cinema displays.
I hope I am wrong.:)

DavidLeblond
Sep 1, 2006, 12:55 PM

17" is stripped down and relegated to "emac" status and sells at a $999 price point

Wishful thinking (both yours and mine).

Not gonna happen.

Clive At Five
Sep 1, 2006, 12:55 PM
Dammit, you see what they're doing with this 23" iMac, don't you? They're trying to plug up the gaping hole in their product line by introducing a "Pro" iMac of sorts. They'll use it as an excuse NOT to make a freaking mid-level Mac.

It'll still be a gaping hole, even with the top level Merom, but it'll be small enough for Apple to ignore it. Infidels!

Prove me wrong, Apple. Prove me wrong.

-Clive

2ndPath
Sep 1, 2006, 12:56 PM
It would be cool to have the Imac 23" with a 23" Cinema display next to it.

I think the iMac and the ACD just look too different due to the material, the "chin", the color and shape. Probably even an additional base would be necessary to at least get them to the same hight.

roland.g
Sep 1, 2006, 12:56 PM
I was going to do a Mac Mini with a Ministack. I didn't like the idea of the iMac because of the integrated aspect. I already have a 19" display and would upgrade to a 23" ACD when iSight gets added. However my two hangups on the Mini were the 5400 RPM drive and integrated GPU - I want to use it for a lot of iMovie and eventually Final Cut Express. The 23" comes out and I am all over that. So, please please please make it in reduced chin aluminum. Sexy sells.

Caitlyn
Sep 1, 2006, 12:57 PM
Wow, this would be amazing. Screw my plan to buy an ACD if this happens. A MacBook and a 23" iMac would look awesome on my new glass desk. ;)

It needs:
Glossy Screen (Even if it's only an option)
Up to 3GB RAM (at least; 4GB would be nice)
Merom (Obviously)

Extras that would be cool:
Option for Black
No Chin

That's all I can think of as the iMac is a quite capable, beautiful looking machine already. :)

This price range would seem fair to me:
17" iMac $1299
20" iMac $1499
23" iMac $1699

gugy
Sep 1, 2006, 12:57 PM
Great,
Thanks for waking me up multimedia:D

I never really care for the Imac. As a second computer is great, but for me I rather have a Mac Pro. I am glad is possible to do that now.

HecubusPro
Sep 1, 2006, 12:59 PM
MacOSXrumors??? There is, if anything, negative correlation between their predictions and reality.

What Apple had damn well BETTER announce then is Merom MacBook Pros. It's inexplicable that they have not done so already.

Now that Appleinsider is reporting it as well, this rumor holds more credence.

I don't think such an endeavor for a new iMac would negatively impact C2D MBP's from becoming available in the next couple of weeks, at least I hope not because that's what I really want more than anything. This possible new 23" iMac is a sexy concept though.

BenRoethig
Sep 1, 2006, 12:59 PM
New 23" displays do not have the pink tint.

Ever hear the expression of seeing the world through rose colored glasses?

BlizzardBomb
Sep 1, 2006, 01:01 PM
No way would I pay an extra $500 for an 8% faster machine and a slighly larger display, when for that money I can go with the 20" and buy a second widescreen 20" display and have a HUGE viewable area.

The 23" is going to have to be a LOT closer to the 20" in order for it to sell. I'm thinking $1899 or $1999, or else it will have to be decked out with extra RAM, HD space, or CPU speed.

There are of course disadvantages to dual displays...

Less vertical viewing area
Effectively halves the amount of VRAM available
Some people prefer one big display vs. two smaller displays
Two displays will take up more desk space
More wires which some people think are unattractive

But yeah it could be less than $2,199. I've edited my previous prediction to now read $1,199, $1,599, $2,099 :)

vand0576
Sep 1, 2006, 01:03 PM
I don't think they'll ever make the iMac very upgradable. While iMac and Mac Pro users tend to be a different type, I still think if they leave to much room for the iMac to grow at a bargain, then there will be no reason for a Mac Pro.

Computer lines (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME. It seems like all of you are afraid of the iMac outselling the Mac Pro. The smart thing to do is, yes, to make the iMac super-upgradeable but more expensive to do so, something which is probably intuitive anyway. People will then make the choice of an all-in-one or a tower. There is no such thing as a "too powerful" iMac. Apple sets the price, consumers buy.

Multimedia
Sep 1, 2006, 01:04 PM
Most of the posts in this thread are about the 23" screen. Yes, I think it will happen to allow the imac to play 1080i/1080p HD.

But, how about the processors? Apple needs to have a Core 2 (Conroe not Merom) inside the imac. The imac is not a conventionally size desktop (not as much room inside as a tower) but Apple can not continue to use a laptop processor in the imac. If they do, then how will the Conroe be used in Apple's line up? In a Mac tower? I don't think so. Surely, a 23" iMac could house the Conroe suitably?

So I would say that the 23" iMac would kill 2 birds - Conroe and HD for the home user. :)Absolutely Quad Girl. You are right on the money. Plus DUAL DVI support so you can span to a 30" display.

brianus
Sep 1, 2006, 01:05 PM

So I would say that the 23" iMac would kill 2 birds - Conroe and HD for the home user. :)

I completely agree with you that using Conroe would make more sense (the casing for the 17" and 20" models was originally designer for a G5, for pete's sake), but I disagree with the assumption that Conroe will *have* to be used in some way in Apple's lineup. Nobody's putting a gun to their head; they may well skip that processor entirely, as AppleInsider has suggested.

They may be responding to positive reviews and customer satisfaction with the relative silence of the Yonah iMacs compared to their G5 predecessors. I don't know how much hotter and louder an iMac would run with Conroe, but if it was noisy it would be a disappointment, as all the other desktop models they've released this year have been noticeably quieter.

Of course they won't offer it in aluminum, sheesh. Aluminum is the "pro" color, white and black are the "consumer" colors. Sheesh! Thought you people followed Apple.. anybody think they'll offer a "premium" black 23", same as they did for the higher-end MacBook? They are after all "siblings" in the product lineup.

Lastly I don't see them getting rid of the "chin" unless they come out with the rumored touch-screen, widescreen video iPods on the 12th too. I think the visual similarity between the iPod and iMac is quite intentional and not something they're likely to change unless the iPod itself changes.

syklee26
Wow, this would be amazing. Screw my plan to buy an ACD if this happens. A MacBook and a 23" iMac would look awesome on my new glass desk. ;)

It needs:
Merom (Obviously)

Extras that would be cool:
Option for Black
No Chin

That's all I can think of as the iMac is a quite capable, beautiful looking machine already. :)

This price range would seem fair to me:
17" iMac $1299
20" iMac $1499
23" iMac $1699

noway Apple sells 23 inch one at 1699, especially only $200 difference. from 20inch ACD and 23inch ACD there is $300 difference to begin with. I am expecting 23 inch one to come no less than at $1999.

of course it would come with more goodies, such as more RAM and better GPU

bokdol
Really? I heard that you can connect and external monitor using a hack software for dual screen support . But it does not support the cinema displays.

the imac now can do screen spaning up to a 23 inch monitor. it's only in the last revision.

http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html

check near bottom

quadgirl
Sep 1, 2006, 01:07 PM
It needs:
Merom (Obviously)

Why Merom (Obviously). Honestly, Apple have been using a laptop processor in all their machines since January (until the Mac Pro). because only the Yonah was available.

Would you honestly be happy spend a shed load of money on a 23" Imac that STILL has a laptop processor? Come on, Conroe will be in the new iMacs

ajkrause
Sep 1, 2006, 01:08 PM
Dammit, I just spent $3200 on a MacBook Pro 3 months ago! Apple is going to drive me into the poor house if they don't stop making stuff I want to buy.

gugy
Sep 1, 2006, 01:09 PM
the imac now can do screen spaning up to a 23 inch monitor. it's only in the last revision.

http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html

check near bottom

Very nice!

vand0576
Sep 1, 2006, 01:09 PM

I think EVERYONE's suggested prices are way too high, even for a chip upgrade. They'll want to do a cost comparison for these new machines the same way they did the Mac Pro. iMacs are still quite overpriced compared to similar desktops from other companies, even with monitors. Bring those prices down Apple, and you'll have a TON of "switchers" with these machines.

Multimedia
Sep 1, 2006, 01:11 PM
Wow, this would be amazing. Screw my plan to buy an ACD if this happens. A MacBook and a 23" iMac would look awesome on my new glass desk. ;)All you need is an external keyboard, mouse and a $700 Dell 24" Display to exceed a 23" iMac Caitlyn. Your MacBook is just as powerful as today's iMacs are. Put a FW 400GB HD on the floor and you're good to go. ;)

vand0576
Sep 1, 2006, 01:11 PM

these prices seem a lot more like what I was thinking. Wishful? maybe, but this would be aggressive pricing, not keeping the current 17" and 20" where they are and throwing the 23" way over their marks.

Bengt77
Sep 1, 2006, 01:12 PM
A 23" Merom iMac. Really nice! But I was hoping for Conroe to power the next iMac series. A bit underwhelming. Isn't the Conroe supposed to have a solid performance edge over the Merom? A faster FSB and higher clockspeeds?

What to think of this? Sure, in some tests Merom performs up to 40% faster than Yonah, but in others it only shows a puny advantage. The truth is bound to be somewhere in between those claims. So, Merom performs some 20% faster than Yonah. That's nice, sure, but not exactly overwhelming.

I don't like this. Don't know why exactly...

23" I do like, though. What GPU will power that display? Hopefully an X1900, although an X1800 is more likely. What will it cost. Man, too many questions right now.

What about Merom powering the 17" and 20" iMacs, and the 23" imac being powered by Conroe?

syklee26
Sep 1, 2006, 01:13 PM
these prices seem a lot more like what I was thinking. Wishful? maybe, but this would be aggressive pricing, not keeping the current 17" and 20" where they are and throwing the 23" way over their marks.

iMac is already wildly popular. they have no reason for aggressive pricing.

guzhogi
Sep 1, 2006, 01:14 PM
I hope the resolution is higher on the 23" iMac than it is on the 23" Apple display. I'm sure the current Apple displays (of all sizes) don't go up as high as they could.

Anyways, weren't there also rumors of 42" Apple displays or something? Or are they waiting for HDMI to come more standard an video cards since doesn't HDMI handle higher resolutions than DVI? Just think of how high the resolution on a 42" screen would be like. 4800 x 3000? At least a dozen megapixels!

poppe
Sep 1, 2006, 01:16 PM
Computer lines (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME. It seems like all of you are afraid of the iMac outselling the Mac Pro. The smart thing to do is, yes, to make the iMac super-upgradeable but more expensive to do so, something which is probably intuitive anyway. People will then make the choice of an all-in-one or a tower. There is no such thing as a "too powerful" iMac. Apple sets the price, consumers buy.

No, now that I think about it, I dont think i'm worried about iMacs out selling a Mac Pro.
I'm acctually thinking how Apple tends to keep its computers seperated in some way so that the people that want a Mac Pro get a Mac Pro even if they have to resort to payments just to have it; that way people don't think they could settle for an iMac at 2399 and say "well I wanted a Mac Pro, but this should be ok too i guess"

Thats crazy! no way do Computers (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME.

iSee
Sep 1, 2006, 01:17 PM
not gonna happen

Well, I guess this could be part of a special media event, but it wouldn't be the reason they held a special media event.

Now, a Media Center Mac... that would be a reason to hold an event :D. Although that's just wishful thinking on my part...

BlizzardBomb
Sep 1, 2006, 01:17 PM
Just think of how high the resolution on a 42" screen would be like. 4800 x 3000? At least a dozen megapixels!

Hmm.. I don't think that's a valid resolution. The next 16:10 up is WQUXGA at 3840x2400 and if Apple go crazy, WHUXGA at a monstrous 7680x4800 (the benchmark in 2015 ;) ).

Conroe inside a new design is much more likely.

Much more likely according to who? Sorry but when two great sites like AppleInsider and MacOSXRumors agree 100% with each other, then it seems that it's almost certainly going to be that way.

I'mAMac
Sep 1, 2006, 01:18 PM
What is this chin on the iMac that everybody is talking about?

Vidd
23"?
Surely that would allow room for a larger hard drive and can display 1080p?
Is this the Media Mac that Steve Jobs mentioned?

The large space (chunk) below the screen.

Multimedia
A 23" Merom iMac. Really nice! But I was hoping for Conroe to power the next iMac series. A bit underwhelming. Isn't the Conroe supposed to have a solid performance edge over the Merom? A faster FSB and higher clockspeeds?

What to think of this? Sure, in some tests Merom performs up to 40% faster than Yonah, but in others it only shows a puny advantage. The truth is bound to be somewhere in between those claims. So, Merom performs some 20% faster than Yonah. That's nice, sure, but not exactly overwhelming.

23" I do like, though. What GPU will power that display? Hopefully an X1900, although an X1800 is more likely. What will it cost. Man, too many questions right now.

What about Merom powering the 17" and 20" iMacs, and the 23" imac being powered by Conroe?Relax. Merom in C2D iMacs is only a Rumor. It is not a fact at all. Conroe inside a new design is much more likely.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 1, 2006, 01:19 PM
Is there really a big market for a 23" iMac @ 2000? I hope this rumor is bogus. I'd much rather see Apple come out with a headless Gaming mid-tower with a Core 2 Duo Extreme and X1600 card. Dual HD bays and one optical bay. AP/BT built in. 3 PCIe slots (one used by X1600). I think that would would fill a gap Apple has in their consumer line-up right now.

quadgirl
Sep 1, 2006, 01:19 PM

What about Merom powering the 17" and 20" iMacs, and the 23" imac being powered by Conroe?

The Merom isn't showing MASSIVE speed improvements over Yonah, but it is impressive. Impressive that is for a laptop processor. But the Conroe has(being a desktop chip) a HUGE performace gain over Merom. Check the stats and you'll see that gap between laptop and desktop speeds has widened considerably.

On the subject of Graphics, maybe Apple may move to Nvidia as Ati have been bought out by AMD.

vand0576
Sep 1, 2006, 01:20 PM
Dammit, I just spent $3200 on a MacBook Pro 3 months ago! Apple is going to drive me into the poor house if they don't stop making stuff I want to buy.

Get some goddamned control man!

roland.g
Sep 1, 2006, 01:21 PM
knowing Apple they may put a $1,999 price on it at intro, since they know there will be a mad rush of faithful. Then after a month or two when sales settle, drop the price to $1,899 for the holiday season. Both those prices could be $100 lower, depending on what the base config offers.

DrFrankTM
Sep 1, 2006, 01:21 PM
I think you're absolutely right!! They need to stick in a couple of digial tuners in it too tho.....

The problem with adding tuners from what I understand is that there are many different standards throughout the world. Anyone knows if there are there tuners that do it all at the moment? Even without a tuner though, it'd be a pretty slick machine.

Also, if Apple markets those as HDTVs-that-are-also-computers instead of computers-with-big-screens, I think they could go after a part of the HDTV market that would more than compensate the "downgrades" from the Mac Pro. But a 23-inch model would not only cause downgrades from the Mac Pro. People like me would upgrade from the Mini too! I wanted more than the 20-inch iMac's 1680x1050 for my main screen. Since I bought a Dell screen to go with my Mini, Apple lost a sale there.

A 23-inch iMac would also crank up Apple's coolness factor a couple of notches. I mean... the Mac Pro is cool and all, but few people - the regular folks, not us gadgets freaks - want to have such a huge box in their living room, and Apple could give better specs to a 23-inch iMac than those of a Mini+screen. Anyways, I think it'd be an awesome product. I hope we'll see something like that in the near future.

brianus
Sep 1, 2006, 01:22 PM

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too. It's not so much that they're growing the iMac line and reaching towards the Mac Pro; rather, 23" is the new 20" and 20" is the new 17". Just the natural progression of things. And 17" definitely needs to be relegated to Education Only (I could see them being sold to some businesses too, perhaps), lest it either cannibalize the Mac mini at its too-reduced price, or seem like way too little for the money.

poppe
Sep 1, 2006, 01:23 PM
knowing Apple they may put a $1,999 price on it at intro, since they know there will be a mad rush of faithful. Then after a month or two when sales settle, drop the price to $1,899 for the holiday season. Both those prices could be $100 lower, depending on what the base config offers.

Has apple done this before? I'm not trying to make it sound like i'm rude, I really just dont know. I know that when the first MBP's came out they did that silent upgrade in power but I didnt think it was price.

quadgirl
Is there really a big market for a 23" iMac @ 2000? I hope this rumor is bogus. I'd much rather see Apple come out with a headless Gaming mid-tower with a Core 2 Duo Extreme and X1600 card. Dual HD bays and one optical bay. AP/BT built in. 3 PCIe slots (one used by X1600). I think that would would fill a gap Apple has in their consumer line-up right now.

A Headless Conroe would be awesome. Easily expandable and fast. But, will Apple do it? Pigs may fly. The Mac Pro is great, but most people simply can't afford one and don't need 4 processors.

Come on Apple, bridge the gap!

vand0576
iMac is already wildly popular. they have no reason for aggressive pricing.

You must have missed my post on doing the price comparison a la the Mac Pro. I feel they should have to prove the "more expensive" myth wrong CLEAR across the board.

Some_Big_Spoon
I'm game. My Last generation iMac G5 is a dog compared to my MacBook on most things (adobe aside).

23" would make me order that day. Hopefully they can ship same day as well.

brianus
Sep 1, 2006, 01:25 PM
The problem with adding tuners from what I understand is that there are many different standards throughout the world. Anyone knows if there are there tuners that do it all at the moment? Even without a tuner though, it'd be a pretty slick machine.

Also, if Apple markets those as HDTVs-that-are-also-computers instead of computers-with-big-screens, I think they could go after a part of the HDTV market that would more than compensate the "downgrades" from the Mac Pro. But a 23-inch model would not only cause downgrades from the Mac Pro. People like me would upgrade from the Mini too! I wanted more than the 20-inch iMac's 1680x1050 for my main screen. Since I bought a Dell screen to go with my Mini, Apple lost a sale there.

A 23-inch iMac would also crank up Apple's coolness factor a couple of notches. I mean... the Mac Pro is cool and all, but few people - the regular folks, not us gadgets freaks - want to have such a huge box in their living room, and Apple could give better specs to a 23-inch iMac than those of a Mini+screen. Anyways, I think it'd be an awesome product. I hope we'll see something like that in the near future.

Um, hate to break it to ya, but Apple sells television shows.

Relax. Merom in C2D iMacs is only a Rumor. It is not a fact at all. Conroe inside a new design is much more likely.

Says who? AppleInsider is now confirming this story. They have been dead-on accurate all year. Read 'em and weep (I'd like to see Conroe instead of Merom, but it ain't happenin').

ajkrause
Sep 1, 2006, 01:25 PM
Just a general wonderment but why is it that upgrading the RAM on your made-to-order MacBook from the Apple Store online will run you up to $500 ($450 if you're a student) yet on the iMac and MacBook Pro the most it will cost you is $300 ($270 if you're a student)?

I don't buy my RAM from Apple usually but it just seems very off to me anyway. The only time I bought RAM from them is when I bought my MBP... the sales guy convinced me easily because by that time I was salivating so much over the MBP, I was willing to pay a few extra bucks to be able to take it home from the Apple Store fully loaded. I'm an impatient guy, what can I say?*:D

ejl10
Sep 1, 2006, 01:26 PM
Anyone care to speculate on prices?

What's the price difference between the 20" ACD and the 23" one?

hyperpasta
Sep 1, 2006, 01:27 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2011

They say reliable sources confirm a 23" MEROM (not Conroe) iMac!

vand0576
Sep 1, 2006, 01:28 PM
Thats crazy! no way do Computers (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME.

Of course computer lines overlap. Check the other online stores, and not the apple online store every 5 minutes and you would know this. Think about it, they almost have to! How many different models does Dell or HP sell at any given moment? How many choices does one need to narrow down? You can customize something like 11-12 machines on other sites, that are all very comparable, IMO

I'mAMac
Sep 1, 2006, 01:28 PM
**THIS IS NOT A RUMOR** There will be a new iMac with Merom and probably 23". Sounds like it will be a 2.33 ghz but not sure.

quadgirl
Sep 1, 2006, 01:29 PM
Talking about the iMac chin, isn't it time for a new-look iMac? I couldn't imagine a 23" wide chin :eek:

vand0576

You. Have. Never. Seen. An. iMac. Have you?

ajkrause
Get some goddamned control man!

LOL If only it were that easy.

I bought the MBP because suspiciously my PB G4 decided to die on me right around that time and I, of course, rationalized and used it as an excuse with myaself... and now I kick myself in the butt for it too because 1 week after I bought my MBP, Apple released the 17" MBP for the same price I paid for my 15".**kick*

I'mAMac
Sep 1, 2006, 01:30 PM
Talking about the iMac chin, isn't it time for a new-look iMac? I couldn't imagine a 23" wide chin :eek:
What is the chin. Though, i have heard people talking about it and they said that if there is a 23" it is possible for Apple to eliminate it.

roland.g
Sep 1, 2006, 01:32 PM
Has apple done this before? I'm not trying to make it sound like i'm rude, I really just dont know. I know that when the first MBP's came out they did that silent upgrade in power but I didnt think it was price.

When they had 17" Lampshade G4 iMacs, the price came down one day without notice. I think they also dropped the price $100 on G5 iMac when they upped specs adding Airport (and maybe BT) standard. That was when they went $1,799 to $1,699.

Bengt77
Sep 1, 2006, 01:32 PM
**THIS IS NOT A RUMOR** There will be a new iMac with Merom and probably 23". Sounds like it will be a 2.33 ghz but not sure.
Aw, man! I was sooooo ready to shell out for a new 23" iMac, might it come out. But now it's on the verge of actually doing so, I'm starting to get greatly mostly underwhelmed by the rumours. Merom? What? I want a Conroe, at least in the 23" top model. And 2,33GHz? The Conroe goes way up to 2,93GHz. I'm sure the Merom line goes higher than 2,33GHz...

Bleh... maybe I should wait for the rumoured headless iMac. Maybe that machine actually will come with a Conroe.

Multimedia
Sep 1, 2006, 01:33 PM
Says who? AppleInsider is now confirming this story. They have been dead-on accurate all year. Read 'em and weep (I'd like to see Conroe instead of Merom, but it ain't happenin').If iMacs don't get Conroe inside that is going to be SO WEAK. The Power GAP between all Macs and the Mac Pro would be so wide you could drive a truck through it. Makes no sense to me for Conroe to not go into something. Right now that's only iMac. Market for Conroe headless Mac has got to be huge. :confused: :eek: :(

2.33GHz is the top of Merom folks. How can that be the best Apple can offer non Mac Pro customers? Seems rediculous. There has got to be a home for Conroe Processors in iMacs or a new mid-tower.

2ndPath

That would be a nice machine. But remember: Apple seems to think in black and white. For them there is nothing in between the consume and the pro.

poppe
Of course computer lines overlap. Check the other online stores, and not the apple online store every 5 minutes and you would know this. Think about it, they almost have to! How many different models does Dell or HP sell at any given moment? How many choices does one need to narrow down? You can customize something like 11-12 machines on other sites, that are all very comparable, IMO

Yeah I know that was my point. I was being sarcastic.

CmdrLaForge
That would be really great. Even so my 20" would look small then :eek:

syklee26
Sep 1, 2006, 01:34 PM
What is the chin. Though, i have heard people talking about it and they said that if there is a 23" it is possible for Apple to eliminate it.

well i will be a nice guy and tell you what chin is.

right below the screen.....you see that thick white bezel with apple logo? that's the "chin."

if you ask me "what is apple logo?" then i will throw mac mini power brick at your face.

Bengt77
Sep 1, 2006, 01:35 PM
Read the first part of the thread. It's the white border underneath the display. It's where the parts are housed that don't fit behind the display. Well, maybe that's not entirely true. That space is needed for the space behind the display isn't big enough to house all the internals.

So, when a 23" iMac would be released, it will have a whole lot of extra space behind that considerably bigger display. Thus, they might just drop the 'chin'.

Dont Hurt Me
Sep 1, 2006, 01:35 PM
Talking about the iMac chin, isn't it time for a new-look iMac? I couldn't imagine a 23" wide chin :eek:They need to get rid of the chin, it looks like crap in my view so lets hope for a all new line and no more pod looking iMacs. I admit this sounds nice but would rather see a decent consumer tower.

poppe
Sep 1, 2006, 01:36 PM
I would laugh (because I'm mean like that) if the iMac 23" or iMac with Conroe took a long time to come out. So many of us MBP lovers have been waiting for Merom, and to see others squirm like us... muah hahaha

syklee26
Sep 1, 2006, 01:37 PM
wouldn't swapping a conroe chip in be an option? just go to Fry's and buy the chip then.

roland.g
Sep 1, 2006, 01:37 PM
Aw, man! I was sooooo ready to shell out for a new 23" iMac, might it come out. But now it's on the verge of actually doing so, I'm starting to get greatly mostly underwhelmed by the rumours. Merom? What? I want a Conroe, at least in the 23" top model. And 2,33GHz? The Conroe goes way up to 2,93GHz. I'm sure the Merom line goes higher than 2,33GHz...

Bleh... maybe I should wait for the rumoured headless iMac. Maybe that machine actually will come with a Conroe.

First of all, have you seen the price on a 2.93 Conroe. It is up there. It would only by BTO, and cost you a bundle.

Second, if they release a 23" iMac, you can stop all the talk about a headless Mac, there won't be one. Sorry.

Bengt77
Sep 1, 2006, 01:38 PM
If iMacs don't get Conroe inside that is going to be SO WEAK. The Power GAP between all Macs and the Mac Pro would be so wide you could drive a truck through it. Makes no sense to me for Conroe to not go into something. Right now that's only iMac. Market for Conroe headless Mac has got to be huge. :confused: :eek: :(

2.33GHz is the top of Merom folks. How can that be the best Apple can offer non Mac Pro customers? Seems rediculous. There has got to be a home for Conroe Processors in iMacs or a new mid-tower.
I completely agree. If the iMac goes Merom, we can be sure Apple will come out with a headless Conroe powered Mac. (xMac or maybe just Mac, anyone? :rolleyes:) If the iMac does [i]indeed[i] turn out to be Merom only, I'll wait for that other anouncement...

Multimedia
Sep 1, 2006, 01:38 PM
LOL If only it were that easy.

I bought the MBP because suspiciously my PB G4 decided to die on me right around that time and I, of course, rationalized and used it as an excuse with myaself... and now I kick myself in the butt for it too because 1 week after I bought my MBP, Apple released the 17" MBP for the same price I paid for my 15".**kick*Well, you could have returned it for a 10% restocking fee up to 10 days after purchase and bought the 17" then. Did you not know that? :confused:

roland.g
Sep 1, 2006, 01:39 PM
wouldn't swapping a conroe chip in be an option? just go to Fry's and buy the chip then.

No Yonah and Merom are pin-compatible. Conroe isn't. Need a whole new motherboard.

Bengt77
Sep 1, 2006, 01:39 PM
No, the Conroe and Merom are not, as they call it, pin-compatible. The Yonah and Merom are, by the way. So yeah, it makes sense for Apple to go with the Merom, but that doesn't mean I like it one bit.

EDIT: Sorry, roland.g, you beat me to it.

jonharris200
Sep 1, 2006, 01:40 PM
One more thing... they'll change the name from iMac to Mac, bringing a perfect symmetry to their product line-up:

Mac
Mac Pro

MacBook
MacBook Pro

bketchum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzardBomb

If the Mac Mini and the MB would have stayed under 500 and 1000 repsectively then I would have said you are so wrong, but because they didn't I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with one just above 1999.

But then again, look how aggressively priced the Mac Pros are. My out-'n-left-field wishful thinking says:

17" iMac - $999
20" iMac - $1,499
23" iMac - $1,999

ckodonnell
While I agree conroe would be a better choice, Merom is a Core 2 Duo chip as well.

Multimedia
Sep 1, 2006, 01:41 PM
wouldn't swapping a conroe chip in be an option? just go to Fry's and buy the chip then.No.

ajkrause
Sep 1, 2006, 01:41 PM
Weel you could have returned it for a 10% restocking fee up to 10 days after purchase and bought the 17" then. Did you not know that? :confused:

I did. Unfortunately, I was on vacation in Cuba at the time. I came to find out about the upgrade almost 3 weeks later when I got back and by then it was too late. By the way, in the store they told me the restocking fee was 15%.

Antares
Sep 1, 2006, 01:43 PM
I truly hope that this rumor turns out ot be false. My 20" Core Duo iMac is only 6 months old. I would be extremely distraught if a 23 incher comes out. Please Apple, wait until January 2007 to update the iMacs (or only update the processors, please).

HecubusPro
Sep 1, 2006, 01:43 PM
I would laugh (because I'm mean like that) if the iMac 23" or iMac with Conroe took a long time to come out. So many of us MBP lovers have been waiting for Merom, and to see others squirm like us... muah hahaha

I 2nd that comment! Though the idea of having a MBP with merom and a 23" iMac with merom makes me feel all tingly inside. Apple cannot make these products available fast enough. :)

2ndPath
Sep 1, 2006, 01:44 PM
One more thing... they'll change the name from iMac to Mac, bringing a perfect symmetry to their product line-up:

Mac
Mac Pro

MacBook
MacBook Pro

It brings more symetry (but then you still need the MacBook Mini), but it would eliminate the "i", which appears to be an important trademark for Apple, as it is included in the name of many products.

roland.g
Sep 1, 2006, 01:45 PM

Mac
Mac Pro

MacBook
MacBook Pro

Umm, no. They would have changed the name in January when they did the MBP and went intel. The i will stay because it is the internet or integrated Mac

DrFrankTM
Sep 1, 2006, 01:45 PM

I don't really know about the ideal price difference, but for some people, it wouldn't matter much. If you want a system with a lot of screen space, then you can get two 1920x1200 monitors. Sure, it will cost you, but if you need the space, then you'll go for the 23-inch. Also, to watch movies, a big screen is better than two small ones. It all depends on what you need the computer for...

vand0576
Sep 1, 2006, 01:46 PM

Mac
Mac Pro

MacBook
MacBook Pro

symmetry, shmimmetry.

I liked things better when the names were all over the board and unique.

seenew
Sep 1, 2006, 01:47 PM
:( I almost hope it's not true. I just bought my 20" iMac in June.. I know they get replaced quickly, but man!
:(

poppe
Sep 1, 2006, 01:48 PM
I think all those that want a 23" iMac that is chinless better hope for a Merom. I think conroe would be to hot, or does conroe run pretty cool?

Heck regardless if we get a chinles iMac and it runs pretty hot we'll get forums like this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=229182)

HecubusPro
Sep 1, 2006, 01:48 PM

Mac
Mac Pro

MacBook
MacBook Pro

Definitely not. There's too much branding in the iMac name. For consumers, it means ease and simplicity with power and looks. Additionally, just calling it Mac would be confusing for everyone, especially when they ask what kind of mac you own?

"I own a Mac."
"Yeah? What kind?"
"A Mac."
"I know. You just said that. But what kind of mac?"
"A Mac. You know. A Mac."
"I'm going to kill you now, sir."

vand0576
Sep 1, 2006, 01:51 PM
While I write this there are 176 posts already.

Since initially posted (3 hours ago), there have been an average .9 posts per minute with no signs of slowing. This rumor is really keeping everyone here quite entertained. Cheers to slacking off at work on a Friday!

edit: corrected "off"

ajkrause
Sep 1, 2006, 01:52 PM
While I write this there are 176 posts already.

Since initially posted (3 hours ago), there have been an average .9 posts per minute with no signs of slowing. This rumor is really keeping everyone here quite entertained. Cheers to slacking off at work on a Friday!

edit: corrected "off"

Work? What's that? lol*:D

lazyrighteye
Sep 1, 2006, 01:54 PM
gah i love how mention of the merom rumor has to be thrown into every other rumor :(

Like the iPod video phone w/ Merom?

bluewire
Sep 1, 2006, 01:56 PM

Merom is 64 bit enabled, IIRC

lazyrighteye
i wonder if it will lose its chin?! ^^^^^^ yes...precisely

If so, a 23" chinless iMac might find it's way to my family.

Unspeaked

Yeah, wouldn't that be terrible if Apple lost sales to - Apple!!!

Come on, people who need a Mac Pro are going to buy a Mac Pro.

People who need an iMac will buy an iMac.

The small overlap between these users isn't enough to justify or kill off a product. It's still going to be a duo (not quad), lack PCI, lack the number of RAM slots, etc, etc.

They're different markets.

bketchum
Sep 1, 2006, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
It needs:
Merom (Obviously)

Why Merom (Obviously). Honestly, Apple have been using a laptop processor in all their machines since January (until the Mac Pro). because only the Yonah was available.

Would you honestly be happy spend a shed load of money on a 23" Imac that STILL has a laptop processor? Come on, Conroe will be in the new iMacs

Gawd, I hope so.

Unspeaked
Sep 1, 2006, 01:58 PM
Definitely not. There's too much branding in the iMac name. For consumers, it means ease and simplicity with power and looks.

Agreed.

It'd be almost as bad as calling their music player a Pod.

The iMac name is gold.

rockthecasbah
Sep 1, 2006, 02:00 PM
23 inches? No thanks. A bit too much space for me... but kudos to those that can use it, and if Apple can make it work more power to them.

BlizzardBomb
Sep 1, 2006, 02:02 PM
But then again, look how aggressively priced the Mac Pros are. My out-'n-left-field wishful thinking says:

17" iMac - $999
20" iMac - $1,499
23" iMac - $1,999

BTW, I adjusted my post to:

17" iMac - $1,199 - 2GHz, X1650 Pro 128 MB
20" iMac - $1,599 - 2.16 GHz, X1650 Pro 256 MB
23" iMac - $2,099 - 2.33 GHz, X1650 Pro 256 MB

Of course, only some of the folks at Apple know truly what the specs and prices are.

If iMacs don't get Conroe inside that is going to be SO WEAK.

2.33GHz is the top of Merom folks. How can that be the best Apple can offer non Mac Pro customers?

If you want something else the alternative is single-core 2.1 GHz G5 iMacs. I would prefer a cooler, near silent iMac because the speeds of even Core Duos are pretty damn good.

I think all those that want a 23" iMac that is chinless better hope for a Merom. I think conroe would be to hot, or does conroe run pretty cool?

Merom or Conroe wouldn't make a difference to the chin. An external power supply or a much thinner power supply is needed. As for Conroe running hot... no hotter than iMac G5s.

Doctor Q
Sep 1, 2006, 02:03 PM
How big and small an iMac would consumers actually want? 50"? 10"?

Will we eventually see an ad with Verne Troyer and Yao Ming working side-by-side on their big and small desktop Macintoshes?

quadgirl
Sep 1, 2006, 02:04 PM
Merom is 64 bit enabled, IIRC

So is Conroe

Unspeaked
Sep 1, 2006, 02:05 PM
How big and small an iMac would consumers actually want? 50"? 10"?

Will we eventually see an ad with Verne Troyer and Yao Ming working side-by-side on their big and small desktop Macintoshes?

I'd take a 72" iMac.

Like some said earlier, anything above 23"s would be prfect as a TV replacement.

You have the remote, the wi-fi, the DVD (possibly Blu Ray) player - who wouldn't want a 72" LCD TV that does all THAT and can also be used as a computer??

bketchum
Sep 1, 2006, 02:07 PM
Quote:

23"?
The large space (chunk) below the screen.

In Canada we call it the Mulroney.

ctsport1234
Sep 1, 2006, 02:08 PM
This is awsome news! :D

If Apple does make a 23'' imac, I will definately be getting one! (albeit when Leopard is released) :D

asphalt-proof
OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!

I remember when there was speculation about a 19" iMac being released (back in the g4 days or, as I call them, the Bad Ol' Days). There were some there that totally pooh-poohed the idea and predicted it would bite into sales of Powermacs. Didn't happened. I think the 23" is a natural evolution and will buy one as soon as my wife allows me to. (been working on my wheedling and whining).

Can't wait til the 12th.

bluewire
So is Conroe

I know. :) I agree with you tho, I do want a Conroe in my new iMac. Damn it, 2 more weeks. :(

damienvfx
This is pure speculation here, but remember a month back when there was talk of a cinema display with a built in camera? What if those rumors started from someone who saw the new iMac and didn't even know that it was so much more than just an update to the cinema displays?

Well, this is my first guess before a release, so we'll see how it pans out.:rolleyes:

Still waiting for a Merom MBP. Leaving for Australia at the end of September, I'd love to be able to bring it with me.

a456
Sep 1, 2006, 02:09 PM
Definitely not. There's too much branding in the iMac name. For consumers, it means ease and simplicity with power and looks. Additionally, just calling it Mac would be confusing for everyone, especially when they ask what kind of mac you own?

"I own a Mac."
"Yeah? What kind?"
"A Mac."
"I know. You just said that. But what kind of mac?"
"A Mac. You know. A Mac."
"I'm going to kill you now, sir."

Heh that's a great name for the next iMac, an aMac. No longer the 'information' Mac but the 'all' Mac, the Mac that does everything to go with the new aPod.

Tymmz
Sep 1, 2006, 02:12 PM
You what? Well I guess its a matter of opinion but a 17" with a decent resolution is plenty! Heck, I even know people who use a 15" MBP as a desktop replacement. :)

i use a 12'' PB as my "desktop replacement". but if i want a "real" desktop 17'' would be way to small. why not get a laptop in the first place, if you are willing to go with a 17'' desktop.

quadgirl
Sep 1, 2006, 02:15 PM
At WWDC, Apple mentioned one of Leopard's features - 64 bit application support. Let's fast forward to Leopard's release day and look at Apple's line. I'm guessing that all all their machines will have 64-bit processors, but surely the difference in processors used in the Macbook, Macbook Pro, the iMac, and the mini, surely can't be just speed, and all using the Merom? The iMac will have Conroe, maybe an E6600.

Bengt77
Sep 1, 2006, 02:15 PM

Mac
Mac Pro

MacBook
MacBook Pro
That would not be a good sign. If the iMac does go Merom, that is. If it goes Conroe, it's fine with me, though...

thechris69
Sep 1, 2006, 02:17 PM
question.... would conroe or merom be better in the imac???

all apple has to do is make some extra ram space and make the gpu upgradeable...;)

a456
Sep 1, 2006, 02:19 PM
At WWDC, Apple mentioned one of Leopard's features - 64 bit application support. Let's fast forward to Leopard's release day and look at Apple's line. I'm guessing that all all their machines will have 64-bit processors, but surely the difference in processors used in the Macbook, Macbook Pro, the iMac, and the mini, surely can't be just speed, and all using the Merom? The iMac will have Conroe, maybe an E6600.

If the iMac had the Conroe and this is more powerful than the Merom wouldn't this continue to place the processing power of the consumer desktop above the power of the 'pro' laptop, which has been one of the problems for some time now? If they both had Merom at least they would be equal. Don't know about the Macbook and the Mini though, I guess the distinction is that they don't have separate graphics cards.

MacinDoc
Sep 1, 2006, 02:20 PM
Well, if AI said so, I believe it.

And, yes, the only way to get rid of the chin is to have an external power brick and external or downgraded speakers.

I, for one, think the iMac and Mac Mini will get Merom due to their form factors, and a yet to be announced minitower will get Conroe (just ask AidenShaw).

Edge100
Sep 1, 2006, 02:21 PM

You are wrong.

sisyphus
Sep 1, 2006, 02:22 PM
This basically confirms that Apple will release the "Mac".

A mini/mid tower with a Conroe, upgradeable video card maybe 1 or 2 open PCI slots, 2 HDD slots, 1 DVD slot and 4 ram slots.

This would position it directly between the iMac and the Mac Pro.

Even with a 3 GHz Conroe it would still be slower at well threaded apps than 2 - 2 GHz Woodcrests (Xeons). Apple has intentionally left this gap in its line.

So you will now have:

MacBook - "basic" laptop
MacBook Pro - Fully loaded laptop

Mac Mini - low end machine good for offices as a small server or low end word processing workstation.
iMac - All in one consumer machine - no upgradeability
"Mac" - Prosumer gamer machine - some upgradeablity
Mac Pro - Full fledged workstation for those who need all the power they can get.

iPod nano - the iPod perfect for music.
iPod - Great as a music player, can also watch movies.
iPod video - Large screen iPod intended for watching videos etc... may develop some PDA/gaming functionality if rumors are true.

It all seems pretty obvious.

Madmic23
Sep 1, 2006, 02:26 PM

You can already play your Xbox 360 on your iMac, just not in high def. Buy an EyeTV TV adapter that has the game mode, and you can play that way. The best input available on there is an Svideo connection, so you want get HD, but it's still a pretty crisp picture.

daneoni
Sep 1, 2006, 02:26 PM
I think it'll be a crime for Apple not to use Conroes in the iMac, they withstood the G5 processors so i dont see any reason as to why they cant do the same for Conroe. Using only merom or xeon processors is just to big a gap and is not ideal. Worse it may plumet the iMac sales unless there is a must have feature in the new revision.

Why would i want to upgrade from a current core duo imac to a merom imac when the performance difference is only 10-15% at best...for a desktop it makes no sense whatsoever and that means the iMac would purely be form over function. The again Apple fans tend to buy anything no matter how illogical

Edge100
Sep 1, 2006, 02:27 PM
I don't really know about the ideal price difference, but for some people, it wouldn't matter much. If you want a system with a lot of screen space, then you can get two 1920x1200 monitors. Sure, it will cost you, but if you need the space, then you'll go for the 23-inch. Also, to watch movies, a big screen is better than two small ones. It all depends on what you need the computer for...

True enough.

For my work (audio production), dual displays are better, because I can have multiple apps open on the different screens, or place my mixer on one screen and effects/instruments on another.

But I can see people preferring one larger screen to two screens (despite the fact that the two screens give more overall space).

DrFrankTM
Sep 1, 2006, 02:28 PM
Um, hate to break it to ya, but Apple sells television shows.

Yeah, I am vaguely aware of it. IMO, the ethernet port is the new TV tuner, but I think Apple has much higher margins on the hardware than on the digital content that they sell through the iTMS. Since the iTMS exists mostly to fuel hardware sales, if it was easy to include a TV tuner in a 23-inch iMac, Apple would do it as it would help sell more Macs.

I was just suggesting that the reason Apple doesn't want to include TV tuners in their products is that it would "regionalize" their products in a way they are trying to avoid as much as possible, I think. I guess I should have been more clear.

admanimal

...which is exactly why it will not happen.

Edge100
Like the iPod video phone w/ Merom?

G5 Powerbook next week!!!!!!!

hyperpasta
Sep 1, 2006, 02:32 PM
I, for one, think the iMac and Mac Mini will get Merom due to their form factors, and a yet to be announced minitower will get Conroe (just ask AidenShaw).

But that's not true! If Apple puts in Merom, I want to see it even thinner... the very same case held a G5, much more demanding than Conroe, as of last October.

roland.g
Sep 1, 2006, 02:33 PM
The only thing better than G5 Powerbooks, is not having G5 Powerbooks! :D

Spanky Deluxe
Sep 1, 2006, 02:35 PM
I think this means that there will definitely be no Mac Midi. Only the pro user would want a 30" screen and Apple makes loads of cash on their screens anyway. If they offered a mid sized mac they know that a lot of people would go and spend their money on a screen from Dell instead of a screen from Apple. They'd rather force buyers to either buy a Mac Pro (i.e. spend more on Apple) or an iMac with their required screen size (i.e. spend more on Apple).

I wouldn't expect Conroe in the iMac either folks. It would serve them better to use the same platform as used in the MacBook Pros, it would save them on R&D and that way the iMacs can't be faster than their Pro range of laptops.

Clive At Five
Sep 1, 2006, 02:35 PM

A mini/mid tower with a Conroe, [...]

So you will now have:

Mac Mini - low end machine good for offices as a small server or low end word processing workstation.
Mac Pro - Full fledged workstation for those who need all the power they can get.

It has seemed as obvious at almost every point in Apple's history within the past 4 years. That doesn't change a thing.

Apple had ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS had a noticable gap between its top-of-the-line consumer machine and it's "entry-level" professional machine. As much as I'd love a middle-tier headless Mac, I just don't think it's in the cards.

...then again, Apple finally gave into our whining and gave us a sub $500 PC (and that seems to have turned out alright). Maybe they'll listen to us again... but this is Apple we're talking about.

-Clive

hyperpasta
Sep 1, 2006, 02:37 PM

But I want to see the iMac and "Mac" be equal in power- both available in both consumer to presumer configurations! I also want the Mac mini done away with and replaced with the "Mac" you speak of... it's too small for its own good. The G4 cube should be brought back, this time as a consumer/prosumer machine, replacing the Mac mini.

Basically, Apple needs to snap out of it and realize that there is a market for a headless and integrated machines at EVERY PRICE... I want a prosumer iMac, personally.

BoyBach
Sep 1, 2006, 02:37 PM
I like my 'chin' and I find 17 inches to be perfectly adequate, thank you very much! ;)

hayesk
Sep 1, 2006, 02:43 PM
Basically, Apple needs to snap out of it and realize that there is a market for a headless and integrated machines at EVERY PRICE... I want a prosumer iMac, personally.

Apple used to have all-in-ones, consumer towers, pro towers, etc. Remember the PowerMac 6400? Too many products is too confusing for the consumer. If that means that a couple of people can't get the exact configuration they want, so be it.

puuukeey
Sep 1, 2006, 02:43 PM
if it gets bigger, does it get thinner?

twoodcc
Sep 1, 2006, 02:46 PM
can't wait til Sep. 12! :eek:

ajkrause
Sep 1, 2006, 02:47 PM

Never thought I'd say this but... I hope so.

admanimal
Sep 1, 2006, 02:48 PM

The only way it could get thinner is if they give it a power brick rather than an internal one. It's not like components are stacked on top of each other as it is...it's just that some individual components require a certain amount of space. Maybe the chin will shrink, but that's all I see happening as far as size goes.

mccldwll
Sep 1, 2006, 02:49 PM
New form for imac--
--headless, docks to 17", 20" or 23" isight enabled displays (have to buy display w/ mac--priced together)
--but can buy displays separately for upgrade
--home entertainment model
--headless unit can be carried to tv room w/o hauling display (putting old imac near a TV very bad design since 2 focal points, and SJ hates bad design)

Dont Hurt Me
Sep 1, 2006, 02:52 PM
Apple used to have all-in-ones, consumer towers, pro towers, etc. Remember the PowerMac 6400? Too many products is too confusing for the consumer. If that means that a couple of people can't get the exact configuration they want, so be it.Apple still needs to sell a not overpriced cube, Millions,perhaps billions have monitors that are just fine. What they need is a machine between near nothing Mini and workstation MacPro. Its been said a million times so here it is again.:)

capone2
Sep 1, 2006, 02:55 PM

the chin is the bottom part that looks very ipod-ish

brianus
Sep 1, 2006, 02:59 PM

Uh, no, it doesn't. If anything it does the exact opposite. Focus on the fact that they're upping the display size to just-below-pro territory and not that they're keeping a laptop processor and you'll see.

Apple has intentionally left this gap in its line.

...yes, for many, many years now. It has intentionally not filled the gap. All signs point to it continuing to intentionally not fill the gap.

...that it's what you want, not what Apple will do.

Apple used to have all-in-ones, consumer towers, pro towers, etc. Remember the PowerMac 6400? Too many products is too confusing for the consumer. If that means that a couple of people can't get the exact configuration they want, so be it.

Exactly. It's not like they can go get a more configurable Mac from another company, either. Plus, remember that Apple had all those overlapping products in the bad old days before you-know-who, Mr. consumer/pro/desktop/notebook grid came back on board.

tickmo
Sep 1, 2006, 03:00 PM
A 23" home theater screen? Umm.......

umm.. what? My wife and i already watch 99% of anything directly on our iMac G5 20". It looks great, no problem with the size. Of course our apartment is very small :)
as always more is better but less is still pretty good!

Play Ultimate
Sep 1, 2006, 03:00 PM

Many of the people on this thread are too new to remember the Performa fiascos of the early 90's. More than anything, Steve simplified the computer product line into 4 distinct quadrants. The only aberration to this is the Mac Mini.

re: The iMac being more powerful than the Pro Laptop. IMO, this is a non-issue. Their respective markets are different. If somebody needs laptop, they need a laptop. And the relative processing capability of the iMac will not necesarily change that individuals mind. The true iMac and MacBook Pro competition comes from Dell,HP, etc. Apple's job is to make computers that are competitive to the marketplace and, I feel, they would be ecstatic regardless of which APPLE computer you bought.

frankie
Sep 1, 2006, 03:02 PM

There's a good and very simple reason Merom keeps showing up in speculation: Intel sells Merom at the same price as a Yonah of equal GHz. Do the math.

Any vendor still selling Yonahs (other than the Txx50 low-bus versions) after their current inventory runs out is ripping off their customers.

hyperpasta
Sep 1, 2006, 03:02 PM

Not more products... more BTO options. Here's my ideal line.

Mac Cube - $499
Low-end Conroe
512MB RAM
80GB HD (full-size)
Superdrive
Intel Graphics

Mac Cube - $699
Mid-end Conroe
1GB RAM
120GB HD
Superdrive
Intel Graphics

All BTO... up to mid-end Conroe, 4GB of RAM, real video card, and even a 500GB HD!

iMac
As it is now, but modernized specs and low to mid-Conroe. BTO DOWNgradable to the current "education" model.

Mac Pro
Also as it is now.

MacBook White - $999
Low-End Merom
1GB RAM
60GB HD
Combo Drive
Intel Graphics
13" Matte Display

MacBook White - $1299
Mid-End Merom
1GB RAM
80GB HD
Superdrive
Intel Graphics
13" Matte Display

BOTH models are equally upgradable... to 2GB RAM, 100GB HD, Low-End Graphics Card.

MacBook Pro 15" - $1799
High-End Merom
1GB RAM
80GB HD
Superdrive
128MB Graphics
15" Matte Display

MacBook Pro 17" - $1999
Same as 15" with 17" screen.

See? FEWER models, more BTO. Much easier to find a Mac you agree with.

Hattig
Sep 1, 2006, 03:06 PM
Excellent, if it turns out to be true ... IF Apple include either upgradable graphics (nVidia's MXM "Mobile PCI-Express Module") in the iMac OR they release a small-tower/big-cube 'Mac' with a PCIe x16 slot.

If the current iMac prices drop then I'll have to point my parents towards one - they were previously interested in the Mac Mini, but they also need to buy a new monitor, and they don't need gaming or a massive display - the low end 17" would be ideal, maybe the 20".

Whilst I'm not upgrading my main system until next year, it will be good to see what products I'll have to choose from. I know I want my next desktop to be able to run Mac OS X as well as Windows (for games), therefore it needs a graphics card powerful enough for the display resolution, but it needs to be a Mac. Right now the only option is the Mac Pro, but I don't need 4 cores or 8 FBDIMMs or 4 drive bays.

ChrisA
Sep 1, 2006, 03:09 PM
Going to 23 inches will make the imac even more UNatractive to many people. Now in a few years when you need to upgrade insted of throwing away an expensive 20" LCD screen yu will be throwing away a VERY expensive LCD screen.

What I want is a little box like the Mini but larger that has the iMac parts inside. A full sized disk, 64-bit memron, lots of RAM slots and a good GPU.

syklee26
Sep 1, 2006, 03:09 PM
You can already play your Xbox 360 on your iMac, just not in high def. Buy an EyeTV TV adapter that has the game mode, and you can play that way. The best input available on there is an Svideo connection, so you want get HD, but it's still a pretty crisp picture.

well i knew i could go this route but 360 is about HD. playing 360 on s-video connection is like wearing Armani suit with footlocker T-shirt inside or playing blu-ray on 13 inch CRT

syklee26
Sep 1, 2006, 03:10 PM
Not more products... more BTO options. Here's my ideal line.

Mac Cube - $499
Low-end Conroe
512MB RAM
80GB HD (full-size)
Superdrive
Intel Graphics

Mac Cube - $699
Mid-end Conroe
1GB RAM
120GB HD
Superdrive
Intel Graphics

All BTO... up to mid-end Conroe, 4GB of RAM, real video card, and even a 500GB HD!

iMac
As it is now, but modernized specs and low to mid-Conroe. BTO DOWNgradable to the current "education" model.

Mac Pro
Also as it is now.

MacBook White - $999
Low-End Merom
1GB RAM
60GB HD
Combo Drive
Intel Graphics
13" Matte Display

MacBook White - $1299
Mid-End Merom
1GB RAM
80GB HD
Superdrive
Intel Graphics
13" Matte Display

BOTH models are equally upgradable... to 2GB RAM, 100GB HD, Low-End Graphics Card.

MacBook Pro 15" - $1799
High-End Merom
1GB RAM
80GB HD
Superdrive
128MB Graphics
15" Matte Display

MacBook Pro 17" - $1999
Same as 15" with 17" screen.

See? FEWER models, more BTO. Much easier to find a Mac you agree with.

you can always wish but there is no chance in hell we will see this kind of pricing.

Plymouthbreezer
Sep 1, 2006, 03:11 PM
This would give me a lovely reason to ask for a nice 20" iMac for Christmas!

My 1GHz G4 iMac is starting to show its age!

tcmcam
Sep 1, 2006, 03:12 PM
Relax. Merom in C2D iMacs is only a Rumor. It is not a fact at all. Conroe inside a new design is much more likely.
I disagree.

Merom makes more sense. Yes, they did get a G5 inside of the iMac, BUT, it was known for serious reliability problems. Overheating, blown capacitors, etc. The G5 iMac was really a poor design because it could *never* handle that much heat.

So, if they are going to use Merom, great. It's a small case, it doesn't have big fans (like the Mac Pro), I would rather have a cool (not hot) case with quiet fans as well as a reliable machine.

We can always hope for a Conroe mini-Mac Pro, but it will probably never happen.

Mac Fly (film)
Sep 1, 2006, 03:25 PM
http://static.flickr.com/95/231249512_9eccfef387_o.jpg

minnesotamacman
Sep 1, 2006, 03:29 PM
http://static.flickr.com/95/231249512_9eccfef387_o.jpg

I had to quickly get the drool off of the keyboard before I could type... But hotdiggetydog if the 23" looked like this I would have an order in as soon as the store was back online...

Here is to hoping!

macintel4me
Sep 1, 2006, 03:29 PM
Ignore the name Mac Pro, People I give you the 23" iMac!!!
That is soooooooooooooooooooo beautiful!!!!
Except you forgot the FrontRow IR port and that's at 30" and a 23" according to the description. :p

minnesotamacman
Sep 1, 2006, 03:30 PM
You know.... If you wanted to have a beautiful ACD 23" or 30" and hide the computer, there is a bracket that allows a Mac Mini to sit behind the display. I personally don't mind the all-in-one. I was against it, until I got an iMac 2 months ago and love it. So, wouldn't bother me to have the 23" imac... I would get AppleCare and be happy for 3 years.

quadgirl
Sep 1, 2006, 03:32 PM
I disagree.

Merom makes more sense. Yes, they did get a G5 inside of the iMac, BUT, it was known for serious reliability problems. Overheating, blown capacitors, etc. The G5 iMac was really a poor design because it could *never* handle that much heat.

So, if they are going to use Merom, great. It's a small case, it doesn't have big fans (like the Mac Pro), I would rather have a cool (not hot) case with quiet fans as well as a reliable machine.

We can always hope for a Conroe mini-Mac Pro, but it will probably never happen.

The G5 is an insanely hot processor (along the lines of the Pentium 4 netburst cpus) and Apple should have a medal for making it work. Conroes are cool, really cool, so it can be done.

Maybe Apple's priority is to keep the iMac silent and as slim as possible (beauty before power). The problem is that the Merom maxes out at 2.33 ghz and the Macbook Pro 17" may well end up with that processor. It doesn't make sense to keep a consumer desktop at the same speed of the pro laptop. But then again, neither does it make sense putting a laptop processor in a desktop, unless a slim/quiet design is Apple's priority.

hyperpasta
Sep 1, 2006, 03:40 PM
you can always wish but there is no chance in hell we will see this kind of pricing.

Maybe. But this is a lineup I would wish for in January. The pricing is meant to reflect what I would expect them. Also remember that the Mac mini was replaced with the Mac Cube, which would use cheaper, larger components.

EDIT: Oh, and I wouldn't dream of it actually happening. I think it COULD, but it WON'T.

frankie
Sep 1, 2006, 03:42 PM
Many of the people on this thread are too new to remember the Performa fiascos of the early 90's. More than anything, Steve simplified the computer product line into 4 distinct quadrants. The only aberration to this is the Mac Mini.

Many of the people who bring up the Performa era are failing to remember that there were typically twenty or more Mac models at any given time. 20 is too many. 4 is too few. Many of us would be much happier if Apple offered 6-8 models (specifically, the xMac).

small desktop
consumer desktop
prosumer desktop
pro workstation
subnotebook (9 or 10", under 4lbs)
consumer laptop
pro laptop

With the possible addition of maybe a behemoth portable (20") or a true HTPC (silent, high rpm, media ports, built-in PVR).

sisyphus
Sep 1, 2006, 03:49 PM
It has seemed as obvious at almost every point in Apple's history within the past 4 years. That doesn't change a thing.

Apple had ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS had a noticable gap between its top-of-the-line consumer machine and it's "entry-level" professional machine. As much as I'd love a middle-tier headless Mac, I just don't think it's in the cards.

The difference now is that there is no crippled Mac Pro. The low end PowerMac was always crippled in some way to the mid and high end. There would always be an old motherboard, slower bus, less RAM...

This time the machines are consistent all the way across. Why? Because with the Woodcrest/Conroe differentiations they can actually create different categories.

Pros -> faster bus, 2 CPU (Woodcrest). Mac Pro
Prosumer -> Mid bus, 1 CPU (Conroe). Mac
Consumer -> Slower bus, quiet, one piece, slower CPU (Merom). iMac
Budget -> Slowest, minimalist comptuer, old tech (Yonah). Mac Mini

Seems pretty obvious. The hole left in the product line is the biggest yet, but the processor steps are VERY clear and not overlapping each other.

mini (Yonah) < iMac (Merom)< Mac (Conroe) < Mac Pro (2xWoodcrest)

ModestPenguin
Sep 1, 2006, 03:51 PM
Here's my idea

drop the mini

make three tier imac line
17" Merom
20" conroe/merom
23" conroe

then add in a cube like deskop for a pro-sumer computer with three tiers and upgradeability

*hopes*

Multimedia

A mini/mid tower with a Conroe, upgradeable video card maybe 1 or 2 open PCI slots, 2 HDD slots, 1 DVD slot and 4 ram slots.

It all seems pretty obvious.What "This" is This? You need to include a link with your references please? We can't read your mind. :confused:http://static.flickr.com/95/231249512_9eccfef387_o.jpg

Oh yeah. Hope they remember the Dual-Link DVI. This is 30" BTW. Could sell for $2999 with a 2.66 GHz Conroe inside. Brilliant idea to perforate the sides like the Pro case thus letting in and out a LOT of air all the time. *

So I guess getting back to reality, the 2GHz Mac Pro is the new "weakling" that will be the only decently powered headless Mac. That is really sad. $2124 stripped to the bone.

We need benchmarks between 2GHz Mac Pro and iMacs and Dual Core PowerMac G5's to see what that really means.

* Anyone know the source of this image/design? I think it's fantastic.

crazycat
Well if its true all i can say is to late, why could'nt they have brought it out when the intel iMacs came out :(

macintel4me
Sep 1, 2006, 03:53 PM
What "This" is This? You need to include a link with your references please? We can't read your mind. :confused:
I think "This" is this thread; "23-inch iMac on Sept 12th?".

jonharris200
Sep 1, 2006, 04:00 PM
"Thin is in". I like that slogan.

Lynxpoint
Sep 1, 2006, 04:04 PM
multimedia,

that 30" all-in-one would be something to get excited about which means it won't happen.

Luveno
Sep 1, 2006, 04:05 PM
If they did offer a 23" iMac, that would be their first "HD Ready" iMac. I was just about to buy a 20" ACD for my 20" iMac, because I needed more screen real estate, now I need to wait 2 weeks to see how i'm going to handle that, too. Bloody Hell :)

fabsgwu
Sep 1, 2006, 04:06 PM
I bet they can get rid of the chin with all that extra square footage behind the bigger screen. But then I'm no Jonathan Ives. :cool: