PDA

View Full Version : Software Update Down?

benjaminpg
Mar 25, 2003, 04:24 PM
Is anyone else having trouble with software update. When I run it, it finds all the software needed to be updated. Then when I try to download it I get this message:

The installation has encountered a problem. None of the checked updates were successfully installed. To try again, choose Download Checked Items from the Update menu and open the package from the Desktop.

I clicked OK, and tried the suggested procedure, and got the same dialog. I also am unable to download Safari from apple's site. I thought just the developer seeds of Safari were pulled.

cubist
Mar 25, 2003, 04:35 PM
I used to have that problem. On the menu bar you can find an option which says "Download checked items to desktop". Download them to your desktop and then install them after that, and you won't have this trouble.

benjaminpg
Mar 25, 2003, 05:05 PM
I just tried downloading the checked items to the desktop, and the same message comes up. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Benjamin

mrjamin
Mar 25, 2003, 06:36 PM
i find that when i download updates thru software updates, the download freezes halfway through. Most annoying!

It always gets a little slow on the first day there's a new update to be downloaded.

timbloom
Mar 25, 2003, 06:42 PM
This happens sometimes and I have to reboot to get it to actually work.

alset
Mar 25, 2003, 06:48 PM
Look for a standalone installer on Apple's web site. That's the number one solution to problems with SWU.

Dan

mrjamin
Mar 25, 2003, 06:52 PM
yup - thats my general tactic; not quite as convenient as swu. winxp does win hands down on the update front.

mind you, i guess the windows one does get a lot more usage! looking for updates for windows is like looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. On a mac; it's fun! i love getting updates

me = update whore. why? i dunno :D

timbloom
Mar 25, 2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by mrjamin
yup - thats my general tactic; not quite as convenient as swu. winxp does win hands down on the update front.

mind you, i guess the windows one does get a lot more usage! looking for updates for windows is like looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. On a mac; it's fun! i love getting updates

Yeah, windows update is a necessity for windows users. On a mac it is like opening a christmas present when it pops up.

iJon
Mar 25, 2003, 07:06 PM
ive had problems before. i fix most problems by unchecking the check daily buttons or rechecking them.

iJon

Jaykay
Mar 26, 2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by mrjamin

Yeah everytime i start up my XP machine it keeps saying there are updates available for your system, it is strongly recommended that you downlaod these. I think to myself, wow, another hole was found in their OS, what a surprise....

irmongoose
Mar 26, 2003, 07:50 AM
I REALLY REALLY REAALYYYY FU**ING HATE IT when it XP says "It is strongly recommended that you update Windoze" and then when I close it it says "you will be reminded again".. WTF?? So what I find out that that update is a buggy one or something?? I HAVE TO BE CONSTANTLY REMINDED TO DOWNLOAD SOMETHING I DON'T WANT TO????

FU** MICROSOFT.

irmongoose

mrjamin
Mar 26, 2003, 12:19 PM
hehe - i hear you!