Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Hey all,

I've been having trouble with my iBook G4's internal drive. Ever since yesterday, finder refuses to open the root directory and my sidebar, where my apps folder and home folder, etc. should be, is completely blank. I've immediately assumed a physical problem with the drive, but disk utility returns no problems. I have Diskwarrior, and have attempted to rebuild the directory from another computer to see if that will help, but the program stops responding shortly after showing a "Speed inhibited by disk malfunction" message. I'm worried. I've already tried the usual repairing permissions and resetting the PRAM but nothing has helped. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Disk Malfunction.jpg
    Disk Malfunction.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Graph.jpg
    Graph.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 120

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
I've been investigating this further. In addition to the root folder not opening and the taskbar not showing up, get info screens will not appear. It's almost like I've done something to finder, althought that doesn't explain Diskwarrior's difficulty with rebuilding the drive. I've tried every which way to rebuild the directory with Diskwarrior, including booting from the DW cd, but it freezes no matter what I do. Not sure if it would help if I did manage to rebuild the directory, but the fact that it's failing with a malfunction error must mean there's something wrong with the drive.

I want to go to superduper and make a backup just incase the drive fails, but I don't want to erase my older backup and risk the new backup process failing midway.

Have I stumped everybody? :(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
*Takes Erendiox aside*

Mate, there's nothing we could do. Your hard drive's gone to a better place. :(

*Hands Erendiox a handkerchief*

There there.

Okay, so how long ago did you last back up? Since your drive's quite fragile at the moment, you want to be accessing it as little as possible. Rather than run any backup apps which will place quite a bit of strain on this sickly device, I'd manually back up. If possible, I'd do this without booting form your sick drive too. Do you have another Mac you could use Target Disk Mode with or perhaps an external drive you could boot from to then extract the data? :)

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
So I guess this means there's no hope for my baby then... :(

*sniff*

Well... it was a nice drive while it lasted. The backup is very recent, and i've been able to pull any needed changes off the misbehaving HD. Mad Jew Thanks for the consolation, and the hankey. ;)

And hey, If I look at this positively, this is a good opportunity to upgrade from 4200rpm crappyness! :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Haha, always look on the bright side. :D

I guess you could try erasing the drive with a one-pass Zero Out. It may behave after this but I wouldn't want to trust it lasting much longer, even if it does survive the reformat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.