PDA

View Full Version : Strange Powerbook Monitor Dimming Issue.

brianfountain
Sep 1, 2006, 01:59 PM
I'm experiencing a problem with my monitor on my 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4 recently. A few weeks ago the monitor would dim when extended past parallel. Now It dims past 30 degrees. It seems to be getting worse by the day. Anybody have any ideas why this is happening, and more importantly; how to fix it? By the way, I don't know much about the insides of these things. Thanks.

mad jew
Sep 1, 2006, 08:19 PM
What do you mean by 'past parallel'? Are you saying that the monitor dims when you open or close it too far? Does it dim or completely black out? Does it respond to the monitor brightness keys?

Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully we can get this sorted soon. :)

brianfountain
Sep 6, 2006, 09:32 PM
Thank you for your response:

Basically when I open my powerbook, it is at normal "brightness" until I open it past 45 degrees. Once it gets to this point, it dims to a point when graphics aren't visable at all but you can still see something going on. I'm gonna say on a scale of 1-10, the visibility is not even a 1. Also to answer your question, it does not respond to any brightness keys.

Also, one more thing... any time I wake my computer from sleep, I have to push the monitor down to 45 degrees and lift it back up again to be able to see anything; but at this point the brightness is only at about a 5 outta 10 visibility. This is the same for when I change the screen resolution.

Sorry it took so long to get back.
Thank you again.

brianfountain
Sep 8, 2006, 11:36 AM
Hello all; (1.67 GHz PowerPC G4)

I'm just posting again because I think nobody saw my post a few days ago, so I'll just post one last time here.

Basically, when I open my powerbook at powerup to perpendicular it remains 99% blacked out unless I tilt it down to 35-45 degrees and move it back up. But even when I move the monitor screen back up, the brightness is only at about 50% and doesnt respond to any brightness keys.

The same thing occurs from this point once the computer goes to "sleep" or if I change the screen resolution. One more note which I forgot to mention, the screen brightness is perfect if the screen stays below 35degrees about parallel from the keyboard...but still doesn't respond to brightness keys. I'm confused.

Thank you for taking a look.

mad jew
Sep 14, 2006, 01:06 AM
At a guess, I reckon this might be a loose cable issue. Are you very handy with a screwdriver? Maybe try following the iFixit Guides to check that all the cabling is tight. Do you have a 15" (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Al-15-Inch-1-5/1-67-BT-2-0-LR/Display) or 17" (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Al-17-Inch/Display) PowerBook? :)