PDA

View Full Version : what should i do?...


krossfyter
Feb 19, 2002, 01:31 PM
what should i do?...

im about to order a tibook...

should i buy from a non authorized reseller or an authorized reseller....i dont want to deal with apples sales tax..

anyways.. govconnections is giving me a good deal on a 550 combo tibook for 1999 (reconditioned)...the only thing i could tell done with it is its ram was switec from 256 (or whatever thats at) to 128. good for me since all i want to do is buy 2 512 ram for it. the other good deal is club mac with the instant rebate...same powebook but new (with 256 ram..of course) for 200 dollars more. what should i do here? if i go with govconnection then i might no be able to get my powerbook fixed in the event it something happened to it? right? no warranty i believe. but hell thats a good price for that. im not going for the 667 because by the time next year rolls around i would have spent 3000 on a laptop when the new G5s may come out...or upgraded powerbooks. not my cup o tea. i much rather have spend 2400 on a powerbook and use the extra to put into a new g5 desktop.

mischief
Feb 19, 2002, 01:40 PM
We only have 3 months now to a new Rev, possibly less.It will not be a G5 but it will be faster and the 667's will be available as re-cons. A re-con can be had from Apple and an Applecare plan can be purchased at the normal cost (often less in that situation) if you ask at 1-800-my-appl. Go to the Apple Store and look for "special deals" at the bottom left. Right now, there's a 667 with 512 for $2499.00.

krossfyter
Feb 19, 2002, 01:47 PM
okay thanks man. im going to look into it right now. im thinking that 667 is not a combo one..

Hemingray
Feb 19, 2002, 02:25 PM
Definitely wait until the revision.

krossfyter
Feb 19, 2002, 02:32 PM
wait unitl the revision to get the lower models for cheaper? or wait to get the revision? it will probably be 3000 frekin bucks

krossfyter
Feb 19, 2002, 02:34 PM
can i order a recondition rev b and then send it in to put a combo drive in it?

menoinjun
Feb 19, 2002, 02:47 PM
whatever you do, don't skimp on $200 now just to save the money if the unit has no warrantee. Do you have any idea how much it costs to fix a laptop? The prices are astronomical!! Spend the extra money and get the warrantee. You'll be much better off in the long run.

-Pete

krossfyter
Feb 19, 2002, 03:10 PM
okay cool. i usually always buy warrenties and never have to use them...its a trip. but the times i dont buy them my crap breaks. what luck.

eyelikeart
Feb 19, 2002, 04:55 PM
if u need a PowerBook....then buy it....what do u need it for anyway?

don't get caught up in the waiting for the newest thing to release hype....and then complaining u should have waited longer because u could have gotten something different cr@p...

if u need the computer, get it....it's so simple....and made to be so hard to decide...

krossfyter
Feb 19, 2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
if u need a PowerBook....then buy it....what do u need it for anyway?

don't get caught up in the waiting for the newest thing to release hype....and then complaining u should have waited longer because u could have gotten something different cr@p...

if u need the computer, get it....it's so simple....and made to be so hard to decide...

sorry if i offended you there buddy. i just thought i should ask anyways seeing as the people on these boards are so helpful and caring but with that last response im not so sure anymore. sorry if i offended you man. take care.

eyelikeart
Feb 20, 2002, 10:59 AM
I emailed u back and thought u were referring to a PDA thread...ha ha ha...sorry for the confusion....

Anyway, u did not offend me....I was just being blunt. I see a lot of people go through the whole scenario of waiting it out for the next thing to come out and then feel let down when it's not up to their expectations. The way I honestly feel is if u have a need for the computer right now, then go for it. If u can stand to wait a little while, hold off till we have something new come out. It also depends up on what u will be doing with the computer as to whether or not u will be able to completely utilize it's performance.

I bought my TiBook from a local authorized dealer, who sells out of his home. I trust him completely, as this is the 2nd Mac I've purchased from him. I felt better about buying from him because I was able to get more personal service and call upon him for any questioning I had regarding the TiBook....plus, it's a lot cheaper & quicker for him to look at it if there's a problem vs. sending it back to Apple. If I were to actually buy from Apple, it would be from their Education Store (since I am back in college again, I am considered a student! :p)

I hope this helps out a little more than my previous rant...

krossfyter
Feb 20, 2002, 02:08 PM
sweet...were cool and the gang now....were like the fonz...cool!


Thanks again man. I forgive you and understand.
I just ordered a 667 combo tibook from clubmac. I hope it gets to where im at without any problems since its by way of fed ex. So this issue is over. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Moxiemike
Feb 20, 2002, 03:11 PM
how does one become an independant reseller?

I'd love to do that in addition to my freelance design stuff. Or maybe in lieu of...


Thanks, your posts are great.

mike

eyelikeart
Feb 20, 2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
how does one become an independant reseller?

I'd love to do that in addition to my freelance design stuff. Or maybe in lieu of...


Thanks, your posts are great.

mike

I'm not quite sure how he became authorized to sell....I can find out and get back to u...

and thanks! ;)